(EE) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Oil In My Lamp
rupestrian
rupestrian
Posts: 23
Joined: 09 Jul 2019 19:15
Location: Canada

Re: (EE) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by Oil In My Lamp »

I think politically-motivated sound changes would be dependent on the sounds of the neighbouring (or otherwise culturally-significant) nations. Conquered or lower caste nations would use more of the language of the ruling class.

Is that what you had in mind?
Give me oil in my lamp, I pray.
User avatar
eldin raigmore
korean
korean
Posts: 5745
Joined: 14 Aug 2010 19:38
Location: SouthEast Michigan

Re: (EE) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by eldin raigmore »

Oil In My Lamp wrote: 22 Sep 2020 20:50 I think politically-motivated sound changes would be dependent on the sounds of the neighbouring (or otherwise culturally-significant) nations. Conquered or lower caste nations would use more of the language of the ruling class.

Is that what you had in mind?
That’s some of what I had in mind.

I was also thinking about one of the hypothesized causes of some of the Great Vowel Shift.
The hypothesis is that when the Norman-Anglo rulers of England lost the Hundred Years War and got kicked out of the French Court, they decided to pronounce everything the English way instead of the French or Norman French or Anglo-Norman way, and frequently overcorrected.

There may be other stuff like that.
For instance if a Southern kid goes to college at some Yankee university and gets too much fun made of him, he might over exaggerate the Southronistic characteristics of his English dialect. On purpose. Because he’s pissed off.
And wind up on the far side of the uneducated or untraveled people back home.
If his new habits spread to his speech-community that would be an example of such a sound-change.

Or any other kind of politically-motivated sound change.
I think President George W. Bush out-Texaned himself after losing an election early in his career to an opponent who made fun of George H.W.’s Kennebunkport connections. That’s another for-instance. (Or would be if it affected a whole speech-community!)

Note I am not saying any of these hypotheses are true, nor very likely, nor widely believed to be true or likely. It’s even possible that some people believe some of them have been disproven, for all I know.

I’m just saying there may be enough stories or hypotheses like these, to start a thread.
Or, maybe not. That’s kinda what I’m asking!
Khemehekis
runic
runic
Posts: 2589
Joined: 14 Aug 2010 09:36
Location: California über alles

Re: (EE) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by Khemehekis »

eldin raigmore wrote: 23 Sep 2020 01:25 I think President George W. Bush out-Texaned himself after losing an election early in his career to an opponent who made fun of George H.W.’s Kennebunkport connections. That’s another for-instance.
See Going Nucular by the late Geoffrey Nunberg.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 67,500 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
User avatar
eldin raigmore
korean
korean
Posts: 5745
Joined: 14 Aug 2010 19:38
Location: SouthEast Michigan

Re: (EE) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by eldin raigmore »

From Sappho this quote.
I can’t translate it yet; can you?

The moon has set,
And the Pleiades.
It is midnight.
Time passes;
And I sleep alone.
User avatar
eldin raigmore
korean
korean
Posts: 5745
Joined: 14 Aug 2010 19:38
Location: SouthEast Michigan

“What’s Opera, Doc?” in Klingon?

Post by eldin raigmore »

In the webcomic “Freefall”, one of the characters says “‘What’s Opera, Doc?’ sounds so much better in Klingon.”.
“What’s Opera, Doc?” is a Warner Bros. cartoon from the late or middle 1950s starring Elmer Fudd and Bugs Bunny.
Translating it —— or even its one original song —— into Klingon and then performing it, would be a major challenge!

Anyone up to it?
Khemehekis
runic
runic
Posts: 2589
Joined: 14 Aug 2010 09:36
Location: California über alles

Re: (EE) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by Khemehekis »

Can someone tell me what this webpage is about, and why it includes text from my Kankonian grammar?

https://tvimpermeabilizzazioni.it/showr ... s-men.html
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 67,500 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
User avatar
Pabappa
greek
greek
Posts: 456
Joined: 18 Nov 2017 02:41
Contact:

Re: (EE) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by Pabappa »

I didnt click, because I mean its 99% chance it's safe but what about the 1% ..... anyway Im guessing theyve been combing large chunks of text just to elevate their site on search engines. I've seen my writing show up on sites like that too, though I cant find an example of it now.
I'll take the theses, and you can have the thoses.
User avatar
elemtilas
runic
runic
Posts: 2749
Joined: 22 Nov 2014 04:48

Re: (EE) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by elemtilas »

Khemehekis wrote: 31 Dec 2020 15:13 Can someone tell me what this webpage is about, and why it includes text from my Kankonian grammar?

https://tvimpermeabilizzazioni.it/showr ... s-men.html
Not sure what the website is supposed to be about, but could very well be a dummy site or a mock-up. Random text used for typographical mock-ups -- lorem ipsum -- are well known, and this could be an example. Basically just rubble that will eventually be replaced by actual content.
User avatar
elemtilas
runic
runic
Posts: 2749
Joined: 22 Nov 2014 04:48

Re: (EE) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by elemtilas »

eldin raigmore wrote: 04 Nov 2020 12:21 From Sappho this quote.
I can’t translate it yet; can you?

The moon has set,
And the Pleiades.
It is midnight.
Time passes;
And I sleep alone.
turicanantas eti oserea attacqi utarea
goes.to.rest she Lesser.Moon and.also Greater.Moon

ucuanantas emulanea eti letocatoca tolarethi
goes.down Red.Star her along.with sisters

lebarang eti ilimirethe ucuacuere erriessa
deep she night wending far

torcwassevireth ilei ilei ilicueiari lecamathe
lie.down I.fem myself under.wing all.alone

When done up as might be recited, it's in a line form with four feet of four or five syllables. The first and last feet of each line in a stanza must have the same number of syllables. In this case, 4.

tur'canantas | eti osere- | -a attacqi | utarea
ucuanantas | emulanea 'ti | letocatoca | tolarethi
lebarang et- | -i ilimirethe | ucuacuere | erriessa
torcwassevir- | -eth ilei ilei | ilicueiari | lecamathe
Khemehekis
runic
runic
Posts: 2589
Joined: 14 Aug 2010 09:36
Location: California über alles

Re: (EE) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by Khemehekis »

eldin raigmore wrote: 04 Nov 2020 12:21 From Sappho this quote.
I can’t translate it yet; can you?

The moon has set,
And the Pleiades.
It is midnight.
Time passes;
And I sleep alone.
Kankonian:

Phodos napheten
Muye Geremigo hoen
Wir *aizias parkar
Enles paketas
Mui is phizuras dumath we


Moon set-PST
also Pleiades do-PST
1p undergo-PRS midnight
time pass-PRS
and 1s sleep-PRS alone ADV
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 67,500 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
User avatar
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP
Posts: 4149
Joined: 14 Aug 2012 19:32

Re: (EE) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by Creyeditor »

I vaguely remember that some time ago, someone asked about a script where the writing direction of words is different from the general writing direction of that script. Does anyone recall what thread that was in?
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
Post Reply