(EE) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Thakowsaizmu
runic
runic

Re: Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by Thakowsaizmu »

Milya0 wrote:
Thakowsaizmu wrote:
Tanni wrote:Angels=Demons=Devils, as far as I have read.
Not sure where you got that one...
I think Tanni's right. In Christianity, demon = devil = fallen angel. There are good and evil angels as good and evil humans are.
That is a gross oversimplification.
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

Tanni wrote:Originally, demons didn't have that much an evil connotation than they have nowadays. At least the word ''demon'' sounds very peasant to me.
I always thought it was more that angels were friggin terrifying. The "wings and halo" thing is a fairly modern conception; Originally angels were horrifying abominations.
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter
Thakowsaizmu
runic
runic

Post by Thakowsaizmu »

Angels, as they were, were something sublime and something dreadful to gaze upon. They got turned all cute and such recently. Charubim, for example, aren't supposed to be fat kids with vestigial wings.
Tanni
greek
greek

Post by Tanni »

Thakowsaizmu wrote:
Milya0 wrote:
Tanni wrote:Angels=Demons=Devils, as far as I have read.
. . .

I think Tanni's right. In Christianity, demon = devil = fallen angel. There are good and evil angels as good and evil humans are.
That is a gross oversimplification.
http://demons.monstrous.com/definition_of_the_devil.htm
My neurochemistry has fucked my impulse control, now I'm diagnosed OOD = oppositional opinion disorder, one of the most deadly diseases in totalitarian states, but can be cured in the free world.
Tanni
greek
greek

Post by Tanni »

Ossicone wrote:
Pe King wrote:Let me fix this therapists that is what I have a problem with. Because so many people go to a therapist when they don't need to. The only people that need therapist are those who have been the victim of war or a truly traumatic crime.
Wrong.
Do you just make stuff up? Seriously?
From a tattooist's point of view, everyone should get at least one tattoo, and the more one gets, the better! But there are lots of people who don't like getting a tattoo!
My neurochemistry has fucked my impulse control, now I'm diagnosed OOD = oppositional opinion disorder, one of the most deadly diseases in totalitarian states, but can be cured in the free world.
Wanderer
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Wanderer »

Supermarkets want everybody to eat food, so they make money. I think most people will agree with me eating food is good.
Tanni
greek
greek

Post by Tanni »

Wanderer wrote:Supermarkets want everybody to eat food, so they make money. I think most people will agree with me eating food is good.
If you know when to stop! The quality of supermarket food may not be very good, too. Better to go to the bakery.
Thakowsaizmu
runic
runic

Post by Thakowsaizmu »

I tend not to get my Religious information from a monster movie website.
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

Thakowsaizmu wrote:
I thought the bible WAS a monster movie?
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter
Trailsend

Post by Trailsend »

Only if you flip through the pages really fast.

Or do shrooms before you start reading.
任何事物的发展都是物极必反,否极泰来。
jseamus
greek
greek

Post by jseamus »

Trailsend wrote:Only if you flip through the pages really fast.

Or do shrooms before you start reading.
Or both. Leviticus whips by in a haze of mitzvot, and then before you know it you're shaking in your boots as a many-angled-one touches your mouth with a hot coal. So, yeah. Angels are fucking scary. I always imagined them looking more like Safer Sephiroth than like Putti.
This is the world.
Tanni
greek
greek

Post by Tanni »

Thakowsaizmu wrote:
They at least cite a decree of the Fourth Lateran Council.
Tanni
greek
greek

Post by Tanni »

I once heart about a famous american indigenous term for something like ''end of the world'', denoting a big catastrophe once seemed to have happened in american indigenous history. I didn't remember that term, and it was no information given about the kind of catastrophe happened. Can you help me?
Bristel
sinic
sinic

Post by Bristel »

Tanni wrote:I once heart about a famous american indigenous term for something like ''end of the world'', denoting a big catastrophe once seemed to have happened in american indigenous history. I didn't remember that term, and it was no information given about the kind of catastrophe happened. Can you help me?
The Hopi indians have "the Return of Pahana" as their end-times prophecy, which most of which has "come true"...
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīqua cupiditāte illectus hōc agō.
[tiː.mɔ.tʉɥs god.lɐf hɑwk]
MrKrov
banned

Post by MrKrov »

If by
which most of which has "come true"...
you mean not at all, then yes it's relevant.
Bristel
sinic
sinic

Post by Bristel »

MrKrov wrote:If by
which most of which has "come true"...
you mean not at all, then yes it's relevant.
Well, the "prophecy" (a term which I use lightly) was only revealed in the 1950's... so it was kind of moot to reveal it when the details of the prophecy already "came true".
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīqua cupiditāte illectus hōc agō.
[tiː.mɔ.tʉɥs god.lɐf hɑwk]
MrKrov
banned

Post by MrKrov »

not at all
means something here. As in nothing at all of it has come true unless you got some secret and radically different version. I care not when when it was made. You're full of it is what I'm saying.
teh_Foxx0rz
sinic
sinic

Post by teh_Foxx0rz »

None of which is relevant to the original question.
And anyway prophecies are usually so vague they can be interpreted to fit any point in history that they are brought to attention in.
Tanni
greek
greek

Post by Tanni »

Bristel wrote:
Tanni wrote:I once heart about a famous american indigenous term for something like ''end of the world'', denoting a big catastrophe once seemed to have happened in american indigenous history. I didn't remember that term, and it was no information given about the kind of catastrophe happened. Can you help me?
The Hopi indians have "the Return of Pahana" as their end-times prophecy, which most of which has "come true"...
It was an indian indigenous language term, just one word, IIRC, and it was somewhat longer than the typical English words. And it refered to a historical event most likely in pre-columbian time. It could have been something like an ecological and/or social desaster.
Trailsend

Post by Trailsend »

The Book of Mormon?
任何事物的发展都是物极必反,否极泰来。