(EE) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Tanni
greek
greek

Re: Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by Tanni »

Pe King wrote:If you truely had faith you would've realised that all this world is is a test.
Then it's a rather unfair test! Disregarding school, if you go to university, it's you decision to go there. You can decide freely on the subject you take. Then, you're required to take lessons, do home assignements, participate on tutorials, have practical work etc. to be allowed to apply for an examination. You fix the subjects of the examination with your professor. There is a time span of several weeks, so you can prepare yourself. The examination itself is required to have a minimum duration of 20 min and a maximum duration of 40 min. Usually, it lasts 30 min. Note that the professor, as he has lots of more experience than you, can always find some holes in your knowledge if an examination wouldn't have a time limit. If you didn't pass, you can repeat it up to two times. So to me, that seems to be a very fair procedure!

Normally, you need four such examinations to get your intermediate diploma. Then, for diploma, you again need to do similar things on a higher niveau or on different subjects to be allowed to apply for the final examinations. And then, you need to do a diploma thesis. There are fixed rules for all that. If you feel you're treated unfair, you can complain to the professor or sue him or the university. Typically, there's a protocoll about the things you said during an examination.

Nobody enforces you to do all that. You want to do that, if you decide to go to the university.

But with life, it's much different: Nobody asked you if you want to be born. You can't decide on lots of aspects of your life, including the religion you grow up in, etc., and you can't sue god if you feel treated unfair. I don't want to be tested against my will and in that very unfair manner.
Last edited by Tanni on 11 Nov 2010 15:09, edited 4 times in total.
My neurochemistry has fucked my impulse control, now I'm diagnosed OOD = oppositional opinion disorder, one of the most deadly diseases in totalitarian states, but can be cured in the free world.
jseamus
greek
greek

Post by jseamus »

Wanderer wrote:
jseamus wrote:I was memorizing Psalms before you were born. Please do not attempt to teach me about the Bible.
Why do all the old people who've lost their faith always say this??

Hmm.... makes me wonder, maybe when someday I'll be as incredibly smart as you and have memorized the entire bible, I'll lose my faith too??

:mrgreen:
I said that to draw attention to the fact that I am not ignorant of the Bible. As for why "all the old people who've lost their faith always say this," I don't know. I really don't know enough old people who've lost their faith.

What I said is true, BTW. From a very young age I was taught to memorize the Psalms and Proverbs. Later I memorized portions of Romans, Hebrews, and the passage in Colossians Pe King mentioned. I don't remember most of it off the top of my head now, but that's because I haven't been memorizing it in years.

What I said earlier to Pe King (about becoming James, Jr.) was a joke. I don't expect that any believer will become a nonbeliever merely through accumulating more knowledge; that isn't even how it happened with me.

I became a nonbeliever through a process of changing understanding and perspective; I began to realize that (from the perspective of the doctrines I believed) my eternal fate was cosmically trivial, that my soul did not matter in the grand scheme of things. God was God and he could send me to Hell if he wanted to. This was consistent with the doctrines I was taught, but clashed with the tone of "God's Love for Sinners."

That started me thinking about my faith differently than I had up til then, and I never went back to where I was before that. Sure, more knowledge about my own and other religions contributed to my loss of faith, but my changing understanding was more critical to the process.
This is the world.
Wanderer
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Wanderer »

Ossicone wrote:No. It means that rejection of religion does usually not come from ignorance of the topic. Those of us who aren't religious can sick and tired of the whole 'You don't believe?! You must read the Bible! Surely, this is why you do not agree with me!'

Here's a bit of news, reading the Bible was one of the most important reasons I rejected religion. (Along with other religious and historical books.)
I see.
Ossicone wrote:Maybe you should ask yourself some questions, 'Why do I believe?' 'Would I believe so strongly if my religion was not as popular?' 'Would I believe if I were taught another religion?'

I understand how you get annoyed by people assuming you haven't read the bible. Likewise I get annoyed by people who assume I never asked myself such questions.

Ossicone wrote:If you do and your answers sit well with you then I am happy for you.
Thank you :-) .
Ossicone wrote:Finally, while I am giving out advice, I have one last suggestion. Before judging people, you should take the time to understand them. If more people did this, I sincerely believe the world would be a better place.
I didn't judge, I just asked a question.

And you and jseamus kindly and clearly expressed your thoughts on it, thank you both for that!

Though I must confess I haven't always followed my holy book as it says: 'what business is it of mine to judge those outside the church?'.
clockworkbanana
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by clockworkbanana »

I stopped being Christian when I realized that the attributes given to describe God created a logical paradox with there being evil in the world and with each other. I was eleven. However, that does not stop me from believing the possibility that there are gods, but they are not all-powerful and/or not all-knowing and/or not all-loving and/or not in all places and/or are not outside of time and nature and/or aren't perfectly just and/or not perfectly merciful, etc.
ImageImageImageImage
teh_Foxx0rz
sinic
sinic

Post by teh_Foxx0rz »

Wow, this turned into a religion thread pretty quickly... and my original question was never answered )':
MrKrov
banned

Post by MrKrov »

Neither was mine. :cry:
Wanderer
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Wanderer »

Mine was. :mrgreen:
Pe King
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Pe King »

jseamus likes to start these things I only ever notice what happens until I'm in mid sentence. Although it is I who unwhittingly follows the gauntlet.
One just isn't enough.

I am praying for you all, with sincerity and on occasion gritted teeth.

Mathew 5:43-44

I seldom think before I speak.
That requires patience, an art I have little practice in.

-Pe King, I hope.
jseamus
greek
greek

Post by jseamus »

@teh_Foxx0rz: With a little Google magic I found a Science Daily article (here) referring to researchers at UC Irvine carrying out experiments that (reportedly) demonstrate that tonal languages are processed by the right hemisphere before they are processed by the left hemisphere.

However, I have not found anything that indicates that speakers of tonal languages (e.g. speakers of a Chinese language) process music in any unusual area of their brains (e.g. the left hemisphere).

Also of potential interest, this other Science Daily article (here).

@Pe King: Oh, that's rich. Blame the debates on the debater, would you? And BTW, my only challenge to you is to always justify your beliefs and back up your claims. If I come off as a gauntlet thrower, forgive me.

P.S. @Pe King: Never be afraid to offend me. Just try to not be stupid and we're cool, okay? And by stupid, I mean not thinking your claims, arguments, and comments through. Be as Teen Christian as you like, but please try and apply a little logic and punctuation to what you say on this board.

@MrKrov: Sorry your whinyness, I don't know jack shit about Pyramids. Can't help you.
This is the world.
jseamus
greek
greek

Post by jseamus »

@MrKrov: Scratch that. I do know jack shit.
Wikipedia wrote:The accuracy of the pyramid's workmanship is such that the four sides of the base have an average error of only 58 millimetres in length...
Here, starting at paragraph 2. It goes on for the rest of the paragraph, siting 7 sources.
This is the world.
Ossicone
vice admin
vice admin

Post by Ossicone »

Pe King has been asked several times to articulate himself better. Clearly, he hasn't taken the advice.

Personally, I've chosen to ignore him because he hasn't contributed anything worthwhile.
jseamus
greek
greek

Post by jseamus »

Ossicone wrote:Pe King has been asked several times to articulate himself better. Clearly, he hasn't taken the advice.

Personally, I've chosen to ignore him because he hasn't contributed anything worthwhile.
That is not entirely true:

1. Started the Haiku thread and contributed some nice poems, particularly this one.
2. Started Catlang, though with initially misguided execution. He (for lack of a more informed pronoun) continues to push the project, which is admirable.
3. Suggested that we start a con-religion, which I now practice. (May the Wailing Grin be praised!)
4. Writes the most comically inane things one could ever wish to read.
5. Occasionally asks a good question or contributes a helpful suggestion (this in particular), which is really no less than what I do.
This is the world.
Bristel
sinic
sinic

Post by Bristel »

jseamus wrote:
Ossicone wrote:Pe King has been asked several times to articulate himself better. Clearly, he hasn't taken the advice.

That is not entirely true:

1. Started the Haiku thread and contributed some nice poems, particularly this one.
2. Started Catlang, though with initially misguided execution. He (for lack of a more informed pronoun) continues to push the project, which is admirable.
3. Suggested that we start a con-religion, which I now practice. (May the Wailing Grin be praised!)
5. Occasionally asks a good question or contributes a helpful suggestion (this in particular), which is really no less than what I do.
He's definitely unique, I'll agree to that.

You did point out some of the best pieces of discussion.

Good on you that you took time to defend him a bit... That's admirable.
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīqua cupiditāte illectus hōc agō.
[tiː.mɔ.tʉɥs god.lɐf hɑwk]
Pe King
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Pe King »

Thank you jseamus. I would've sat there and took that. Boy is my psychiatrist going to be hearing about this for weeks. Kidding the only way I will ever get a psychiatrist is if there is a horrible car crash and I'm dumped off at my grandparents. My purpose here is comic relief. Otherwise this board would be mind numbingly borring. But still thank you.
One just isn't enough.

-Pe King, I hope.
teh_Foxx0rz
sinic
sinic

Post by teh_Foxx0rz »

jseamus wrote:@teh_Foxx0rz: With a little Google magic I found a Science Daily article (here) referring to researchers at UC Irvine carrying out experiments that (reportedly) demonstrate that tonal languages are processed by the right hemisphere before they are processed by the left hemisphere.

However, I have not found anything that indicates that speakers of tonal languages (e.g. speakers of a Chinese language) process music in any unusual area of their brains (e.g. the left hemisphere).

Also of potential interest, this other Science Daily article (here).
Ah, that's interesting. ;-) Yeah it wasn't the most serious of questions, likely just a sort of urban myth (as urban as you can get about languages lol), but I thought it would start the thread off nicely (before all the drama started... :roll: ). cheers! :-D
Thakowsaizmu
runic
runic

Post by Thakowsaizmu »

Ok, so here's a quick question if anyone can help.

What came first, the chicken or the egg?
Bristel
sinic
sinic

Post by Bristel »

The egg.

The egg carries the first mutations of the chicken species... without the egg, there would be no chicken.

That's overly simplistic, but I'm satisfied with that explanation :)
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīqua cupiditāte illectus hōc agō.
[tiː.mɔ.tʉɥs god.lɐf hɑwk]
Ossicone
vice admin
vice admin

Post by Ossicone »

jseamus wrote: That is not entirely true:

It is a personal opinion. I didn't particularly find any of those amusing.
In retrospect, he has improved slightly but not enough for me to understand what he's saying.
Pe King wrote:Thank you jseamus. I would've sat there and took that. Boy is my psychiatrist going to be hearing about this for weeks. Kidding the only way I will ever get a psychiatrist is if there is a horrible car crash and I'm dumped off at my grandparents. My purpose here is comic relief. Otherwise this board would be mind numbingly borring. But still thank you.
I've been trained as a psychologist, but I doubt I'm the person you're looking for.
Pe King
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Pe King »

I don't want a psychiatrist. I think the idea people make money of the thing is sad (no offense). It is no wonder the economy is in the trash. No one produces.
One just isn't enough.

-Pe King, I hope.
jseamus
greek
greek

Post by jseamus »

Pe King wrote:The end as we know it. It is Obama's plan for a global government. This is all of HIS work. Pray it fails. Although I am willing to start a farm somewhere and settle while building the great wall of America to keep the raiders out and the tax collectors of my back. Although what I really want is a floating island.
Pe King wrote:I don't want a psychiatrist. I think the idea people make money of the thing is sad (no offense). It is no wonder the economy is in the trash. No one produces.
Dude, you are insane. In a funny way, yes, but insane nonetheless.

BTW, I am looking for some good cerebral rap. I already listen to Greydon Square, and I'd like to hear more like that. Also any rap that has witty lyrics would be welcome. Any help?
This is the world.