(EE) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Re: (EE) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by Creyeditor »

Thanks a lot. I was kind of, but the thread was split and the non-linguistic part does not exist anymore, it seems. I might just post what I wanted in the conversation thread.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

In the English word <scent>, which letter is silent? The <s> or the <c>?
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

eldin raigmore wrote: 23 May 2022 04:45 In the English word <scent>, which letter is silent? The <s> or the <c>?
I think of the SC as more like a double letter -- like the TT in "little", the SS in "glass", the CK in "black", the TCH in "match", or the "DG" in "bridge".
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Khemehekis wrote: 23 May 2022 05:24
eldin raigmore wrote: 23 May 2022 04:45 In the English word <scent>, which letter is silent? The <s> or the <c>?
I think of the SC as more like a double letter -- like the TT in "little", the SS in "glass", the CK in "black", the TCH in "match", or the "DG" in "bridge".
Yes, maybe so. Same for the <ck> in knuckle.
Nel Fie
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Nel Fie »

I've been slowly drafting the opening post for a thread on natural sign languages, trying to summarize everything I've learned so far, as well as listing some resources and such things. But it's already six pages - over 3000 words long. Is that too much?
:deu: Native (Swabian) | :fra: Native (Belgian) | :eng: Fluent | :rus: Beginner
DeviantArt | YouTube | Tumblr
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

Nel Fie wrote: 19 Sep 2022 22:06 I've been slowly drafting the opening post for a thread on natural sign languages, trying to summarize everything I've learned so far, as well as listing some resources and such things. But it's already six pages - over 3000 words long. Is that too much?
Not at all. As long you can keep things straight, go ahead. This a forum where people regularly describe entire languages, so a word limit on posts wouldn’t work very well [:)]
Nel Fie
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Nel Fie »

Very well, thank you. I'm not sure if I can live up to the highest standards on the matter, but I'll try to make it as complete as I can before posting, then.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

There's always the option to split up your work into multiple posts as well if you felt like it might make things easier to read through. If you've got a sort of "contents" post, you can edit it to link to individual posts (that's what I did for Proto-Sirdic, see here), which could make it easier for other users to navigate and jump between various parts they find interesting or want to reply to
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
Nel Fie
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Nel Fie »

The necessity of doing that is sort of what I'm worried about. My intent was to write a summary of general information about natural sign languages for people who've never thought or read up about them. But past that point, I wanted the thread to be a free-for-all, more like a condensed "Today I learned"/"Quick questions" thread specific to sign languages. Since interest and knowledge about them seems comparably low overall, that would at least help aggregate whatever little we have, I thought.
But as a result my "summary" might be a bit too long for the intended purpose. Then again, there's no obligation to read it in full or even in part, I suppose.
Nel Fie
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Nel Fie »

The IPA symbol for the voiceless uvular fricative ('χ') shows up as a regular 'x' (the voiceless velar fricative) on my desktop PC, and does so across two different browsers. I also remember that other people have commented on having the same issue before, so I thought it was universal.
But then I just noticed that they show up correctly on my smartphone, using the mobile equivalent of the exact same browsers - as in, the voiceless uvular fricative displays correctly as an elongated 'χ'.
So, my question is - any idea what's actually going on? Is this an issue I can or should fix on my side, so that the IPA displays correctly on my desktop PC as well, e.g. via changing the settings of my browser? Or is this somehow and unavoidable quirk of how desktop and mobile apps handle things differently?
VaptuantaDoi
roman
roman

Post by VaptuantaDoi »

Nel Fie wrote: 07 Nov 2022 09:10 The IPA symbol for the voiceless uvular fricative ('χ') shows up as a regular 'x' (the voiceless velar fricative) on my desktop PC, and does so across two different browsers. I also remember that other people have commented on having the same issue before, so I thought it was universal.
But then I just noticed that they show up correctly on my smartphone, using the mobile equivalent of the exact same browsers - as in, the voiceless uvular fricative displays correctly as an elongated 'χ'.
So, my question is - any idea what's actually going on? Is this an issue I can or should fix on my side, so that the IPA displays correctly on my desktop PC as well, e.g. via changing the settings of my browser? Or is this somehow and unavoidable quirk of how desktop and mobile apps handle things differently?
It's displayed fine for me (Chrome on a mac), with Lucida Grande being the font, which displays pretty much everything without fail. On the other hand the ZBB is in Arial, despite being hosted on the same platform. I'm sure it's possible to change fonts tho, maybe with a browser extension if not through settings.
Nel Fie
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Nel Fie »

VaptuantaDoi wrote: 07 Nov 2022 13:00 It's displayed fine for me (Chrome on a mac), with Lucida Grande being the font, which displays pretty much everything without fail. On the other hand the ZBB is in Arial, despite being hosted on the same platform. I'm sure it's possible to change fonts tho, maybe with a browser extension if not through settings.
Ah, thank you! My current browser was set to use the default font of the site, so I switched it to something else, and it displays correctly now. I'll probably have to test out a bunch to find one that's readable (and hope that it doesn't cause other sites to break), but it's progress.