Metal Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Shemtov
runic
runic

Re: Metal Thread

Post by Shemtov »

Thrice, check out Blind Guardian:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AfNOKQdY-U
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

Shemtov wrote:Thrice, check out Blind Guardian:
Definitely not bad... But not exactly my taste either. I think I'm not a huge fan of the older "metal" vibe that reminds me of the hair-metal power-ballad era. Which, this track at least, strongly does.

I just gave Korpiklaani a listen... The first song I found (Vodka) I wasn't impressed by at all, but the presence of a fiddler in the video made me give them a second try... I'm glad I did. The next song was about the burial of a witch (I can't recall the name) very cool song. 'Bout to pick track three for them... which ended up being one of their full albums: Along this Road (or something similar). Now I'm not so sure. I'm reminded slightly of a folksy punk band one of my college buddies really liked. Again, not sure I'm on board with this.

Unrelated to my current pursuits... But has anyone posted this song here yet? https://youtu.be/BtJST96WBm8

I'll just let it surprise you.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Thrice Xandvii wrote:
Shemtov wrote:Thrice, check out Blind Guardian:
Definitely not bad... But not exactly my taste either. I think I'm not a huge fan of the older "metal" vibe that reminds me of the hair-metal power-ballad era. Which, this track at least, strongly does.

I just gave Korpiklaani a listen... The first song I found (Vodka) I wasn't impressed by at all, but the presence of a fiddler in the video made me give them a second try... I'm glad I did. The next song was about the burial of a witch (I can't recall the name) very cool song. 'Bout to pick track three for them... which ended up being one of their full albums: Along this Road (or something similar). Now I'm not so sure. I'm reminded slightly of a folksy punk band one of my college buddies really liked. Again, not sure I'm on board with this.
Ämmänhauta maybe?

Korpiklaani's a fairly varied band with a fair few "silly" songs, like Vodka, Beer Beer, Let's Drink and the like, but they have a lot of songs like Ämmänhauta as well, like Lempo and Vaarinpolkka which are slightly more "serious", and softer songs like Synkkä and Uniaika so you've got plenty of choice.
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

sangi39 wrote:Ämmänhauta maybe?
Yes, that was the one!
Korpiklaani's a fairly varied band with a fair few "silly" songs, like Vodka, Beer Beer, Let's Drink and the like, but they have a lot of songs like Ämmänhauta as well, like Lempo and Vaarinpolkka which are slightly more "serious", and softer songs like Synkkä and Uniaika so you've got plenty of choice.
If everything they did was like that song... I'd be in love. As it is, I'm not a huge fan. I don't really like my music to be silly, in general.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Thrice Xandvii wrote:
sangi39 wrote:Ämmänhauta maybe?
Yes, that was the one!
If everything they did was like that song... I'd be in love. As it is, I'm not a huge fan. I don't really like my music to be silly, in general.
I love basically everything they do, lol. And I don't mind my songs being silly, especially if they're about booze, which is where Korpiklaani mainly get silly anyway.

I think the best thing then, is go at Korpiklaani as and when they come up. You've found a song or two you like, stick with that and just experiment with them from time to time. I wouldn't let the bad songs stop you finding the good ones [:)]
Just one time.
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

That's a good point, actually.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Thrice Xandvii wrote:That's a good point, actually.
'Tis my general approach to finding new music. I listen to a lot of stuff on YouTube, and I'll randomly click along the sidebar if I feel up to it. If I don't like what I click on, oh well, only 4 minutes gone. Go back and start again later.

Mood also has a massive effect on me and what type of music I listen to, so if I'm looking for something new, I do it when feel "neutral". If I feel like listening to Korpiklaani, I'm not going to want to listen to something Nile and my mood will influence how I feel about that song at the time.

I think it always kind of helps to never take music too seriously. Like, obviously have your own tastes and your own opinions, but taking them too seriously can become restrictive and in some cases can be an obstruction. Someone I work with, for example, has started to suggest they might quit because we recently had [insert company name here] Radio put in and a lot of it is modern or late-90s pop music, which they really don't enjoy to the point where it's putting them off their work because it's not "their kind of music". Don't get me wrong, I hate it too, but if you're taking music that seriously, then you need to calm down. When you're at work, and you're dealing with customers all day, the music that's on in the background shouldn't be that important. For a night out? Yeah. But at work? Nah.
Just one time.
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

'Tis my general approach to finding new music. I listen to a lot of stuff on YouTube, and I'll randomly click along the sidebar if I feel up to it. If I don't like what I click on, oh well, only 4 minutes gone. Go back and start again later.
Is also me.
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

I've always been excessively picky about music, basically if I don't have control of the radio in a car and people start playing craziness I hate... It becomes uncomfortable for all of us. I don't know what it is, but I find it incredibly difficult to ignore it or just enjoy that others are enjoying it. (In fact, other people enjoying it sometimes makes it worse because it contrasts so greatly with my mood: almost like they are having fun to spite me or at my expense. But also, the fact of the matter is, I basically can't enjoy myself when I'm around music I truly dislike. It sucks, sometimes, but I don't know how to fix it.)
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Thrice Xandvii wrote:I've always been excessively picky about music, basically if I don't have control of the radio in a car and people start playing craziness I hate... It becomes uncomfortable for all of us. I don't know what it is, but I find it incredibly difficult to ignore it or just enjoy that others are enjoying it. (In fact, other people enjoying it sometimes makes it worse because it contrasts so greatly with my mood: almost like they are having fun to spite me or at my expense. But also, the fact of the matter is, I basically can't enjoy myself when I'm around music I truly dislike. It sucks, sometimes, but I don't know how to fix it.)
I'm the same way, kind of. I used to be anyway. If I'm in a car, and I'm driving, then I choose no music unless I know it's going to be something relatively unobjectionable. If someone else is driving, just have to put up with it, their car, their rules.

I have the same rule at work. Moment someone walks in to my section, music goes straight off if they're going to be there for more than a couple of minutes. I don't know what they like, so it doesn't seem fair.

The way I've found to "fix" it, is make your feelings clear, without seeming like you just want them to shut up, just have a conversation with them about it. Explaining your feelings about how they act in relation to how you feel, and generally speaking, at least in my experience, most people will tone it down a bit. I've been quite lucky in that most of the time when I hear music I don't like at social gatherings, it comes on after everyone's established that they're having a good time, so for them the music adds to it, for me it's just something I have to deal with as background noise.

The other way, and it sucks as advice, is to accept that there will be some things beyond your control and in the grand scheme of things, music, while personally important, isn't important on the grander scale. It took me like 10 years to get to that point. Some music still annoys me, and I'd rather not have it on, but at some point you just have to give in realise that, at least some of the time, those other people probably feel the same way about your music.
Just one time.
Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

I had an audition for a metalcore band today. I got the part!
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
CT = Classical Ĝare n Tim Ar
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

Linguifex wrote:I had an audition for a metalcore band today. I got the part!
Nice!

What instrument/role in the band are you?
Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

The percussion.
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
CT = Classical Ĝare n Tim Ar
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

Sweet!

You'll have to give us a window to your band's influences, and maybe some music samples! (Or at least the name!)
Chagen
runic
runic

Post by Chagen »

I recently bought the new release by ERRA, Drift, and it is fucking amazing. Absolutely one of the best Metalcore albums I have ever heard. I'd reccomend this album even to metalheads who don't like -core. Calling this album a Metalcore album is almost an insult to it, it's that fucking good.

Unlike so many Metalcore albums, ERRA eschewed mindless brutality and heavy tone for an ambient, spacy, and ethereal atmosphere that pervades every track. Every song is filled with delicious riffs and there's solos all over the place. Even the breakdowns are near flawlessly incorporated into the music--most -core breakdowns are awkwardly placed segments of mindless chugging, as they're designed to let concert-goers mosh like a bunch of idiots. Drift's breakdowns, however, are not an addition awkwardly shoehorned in: they are inextricably wedded with their songs, as any good section should be. There are too many good examples to exhaustively list, but standouts are 2:09 in Hourglass, which segues beautifully into a guitar solo; 3:42 in The Hypnotist, which somehow manages to make a slow one-note chug sound good before moving into dissonant, syncopated tapping that mixes with the vocals to create a chaotic lovely rhythm, and then finally explodes into the second guitar solo of the song; 1:48 of Irreversible, whose dissonant tapping is a joy to hear, especially as it segues into an acoustic section.

The only song that truly overuses breakdowns is Irreversible--even then, the song is still amazing, since as described above, these sections are used to great effect. Put simply: Drift sounds like almost nothing else. The dissonant guitars, heavy use of acoustic bridges, shredding solos, and spacy atmosphere show that Metalcore need not be a wall of "brutal" sound. Clean vocalist and lead guitarist Jesse Cash often sounds like he's in a prophetic trance, yet knows how to belt out incredibly impassioned lines when necessary. J.T Cavey, the new harsh vocalist, doesn't possess much range, but what range he does have is used perfectly. Listening to this album from front to back is a musical journey: It starts off with the intense Luminesce and Irreversible before flowing into the "softer" (but definitely not less quality) set of Skyline, Hourglass, and Orchid. The eponymous Drift serves as the mid-point; as the least technical song on the album it feels as a "breather" almost, as if the listener were resting. Sleeper follows as the listener wakes up, followed by the rising Continuum and chanting Safehaven. The album finally ends on The Hypnotist, a near-flawless closer song which might be one of the best songs ever made in the genre: The Hypnotist is a musical journey in and of itself, more emotion and narrative strength packed into its six minutes than most entire Metalcore albums, ending on a glorious solo and an acoustic outro that might be the best outro I have ever heard in any song in my entire life.

If there's one flaw with Drift, it is that it is so good, so packed with incredibly musicianship, that it makes nearly every other Metalcore album look bad by comparison. This is what Metalcore can truly be, the best parts of the genre distilled into ten songs. It will be years until we see a Metalcore album top this; we may never see another album in the genre top it indeed. 10/10.

TL;DR: This album is so fucking good it makes everything else in its genre look like shit and now I'm depressed. Guess it's time to start listening to straight-up Metal now.
Nūdenku waga honji ma naku honyasi ne ika-ika ichamase!
female-appearance=despite boy-voice=PAT hold boy-youth=TOP very be.cute-3PL
Honyasi zō honyasi ma naidasu.
boy-youth=AGT boy-youth=PAT love.romantically-3S
vampireshark
sinic
sinic

Post by vampireshark »

A band I quite like, Volbeat, is getting ready to put out a new album, which means they're starting to release videos for songs from the album. I quite like this one.

Also, while not strictly metal, the classics are important, so, for all you headbangers out there, you know who you are.
And I'll dance with you in Vienna,
I'll be wearing a river's disguise;
The hyacinth wild on my shoulder,
My mouth on the dew of your thigh...

Looking for subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

vampireshark wrote:A band I quite like, Volbeat, is getting ready to put out a new album, which means they're starting to release videos for songs from the album. I quite like this one.

Also, while not strictly metal, the classics are important, so, for all you headbangers out there, you know who you are.
Hmm... is there an auxiliary band called "Illumise"?
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

...I think that joke whizzed over my head.

(It was a joke, right?)
GrandPiano
mayan
mayan

Post by GrandPiano »

Thrice Xandvii wrote:...I think that joke whizzed over my head.

(It was a joke, right?)
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/ ... _(Pokémon)
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/ ... _(Pokémon)

(It's not highlighting the URLs properly, so you'll have to copy and paste them manually)
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

GrandPiano wrote:
Thrice Xandvii wrote:...I think that joke whizzed over my head.

(It was a joke, right?)
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/ ... Pok%e9mon)
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/ ... Pok%e9mon)

(It's not highlighting the URLs properly, so you'll have to copy and paste them manually)
Fixed?

Still doesn't seem to be page at those URLs though.