Metal Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
sangi39

Re: Metal Thread

Post by sangi39 »

Ànradh wrote:
Chagen wrote:>Metal
>Music

Very funny, guys.
The joke has eluded me. O_o

In any case... This guy looks like he's having a lot of fun being superhuman.
Edit: Strangely, this guy seems to be having less fun being an outright god.
They were both AMAZING!!! [:D] Although I think the second guy was still having fun, but it looks like a he might have a slightly less expressional face (I know I have been told that I look bored even though I've been having amazing fun [:P]).
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
Ànradh
roman
roman

Post by Ànradh »

Chagen wrote:Sorry, I was a fighting mood at the time after some insufferable metal fans (because, I'm sorry, but metalheads have the highest amount of insufferably obnoxious and pretentious people in music fandom) were trolling an EDM topic on another forum.
If it's any consolation, they're rampant on other metal videos too.
"Behemoth suck! You should listen to real metal like Cannibal Corpse!"
Sorry.. that's not quite right... :/
Let me try again!
"behemth suks u shud listne to real metal like cannible corse!!!!!!!"
There, that's way more accurate. :D
sangi39 wrote:They were both AMAZING!!! [:D] Although I think the second guy was still having fun, but it looks like a he might have a slightly less expressional face (I know I have been told that I look bored even though I've been having amazing fun [:P]).
Heh, true enough. Apparently, I don't even have a 'guitar face'. Not strictly true, they just haven't seen me concentrating to the point that I use it. ;) (On that note, Bossa Nova's fucking hard to play, man...)
Sin ar Pàrras agus nì sinne mar a thogras sinn. Choisinn sinn e agus ’s urrainn dhuinn ga loisgeadh.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Ànradh wrote:
Chagen wrote:Sorry, I was a fighting mood at the time after some insufferable metal fans (because, I'm sorry, but metalheads have the highest amount of insufferably obnoxious and pretentious people in music fandom) were trolling an EDM topic on another forum.
If it's any consolation, they're rampant on other metal videos too.
"Behemoth suck! You should listen to real metal like Cannibal Corpse!"
Sorry.. that's not quite right... :/
Let me try again!
"behemth suks u shud listne to real metal like cannible corse!!!!!!!"
There, that's way more accurate. :D
This, I'd definitely agree with. It's not something specific to metalheads, or necessarily even the way the majority behave, but it's definitely something you notice more in Metal. Perhaps they're just more vocal about their musical tastes (a lot of metalheads I've met almost define themselves based on the kind of metal they listen to. I suppose the "west-coast vs. east-coast" thing in rap (is that actually a thing?) might be somewhat similar).

As I pointed out on the ZBB's (now non-existent Metal Thread), the "rock society" at my university was apparently "taken over" by Black Metal "purists" who almost entirely defined what music could and could not be played at events to the point where fans of other sub-genres simply left the society. Want something from Behemoth's 2009 album Evangelion, nope, Behemoth sold-out, but you can choose something from their 1996 album Grom. I had planned on joining in my second year, but after hearing those rumours I just decided on sticking with the local alternative club. You might run into people who go outside to the smoking area when a sound they don't like comes on, but at least they're not trying to exclude people or control the music.
Ànradh wrote:
sangi39 wrote:They were both AMAZING!!! [:D] Although I think the second guy was still having fun, but it looks like a he might have a slightly less expressional face (I know I have been told that I look bored even though I've been having amazing fun [:P]).
Heh, true enough. Apparently, I don't even have a 'guitar face'. Not strictly true, they just haven't seen me concentrating to the point that I use it. ;) (On that note, Bossa Nova's fucking hard to play, man...)
Haha, nice. I never learnt to play the guitar, annoyingly (I've thought about taking it up, though), but my brother's got basically no guitar face either, he just plays. I've never even seen him trip up on a song he's only learning for the first time, but that's probably just my lack of seeing him often.
Just one time.
conlangconstructor
sinic
sinic

Post by conlangconstructor »

I've been listening to a new song called Levitation by Fallujah and it's pretty amazing. A blend unlike anything I've ever heard. It must be listened to from beginning to end! :)
thetha
mayan
mayan

Post by thetha »

I just got into Fallujah myself!
Chagen
runic
runic

Post by Chagen »

sangi39 wrote:
As I pointed out on the ZBB's (now non-existent Metal Thread), the "rock society" at my university was apparently "taken over" by Black Metal "purists" who almost entirely defined what music could and could not be played at events to the point where fans of other sub-genres simply left the society. Want something from Behemoth's 2009 album Evangelion, nope, Behemoth sold-out, but you can choose something from their 1996 album Grom. I had planned on joining in my second year, but after hearing those rumours I just decided on sticking with the local alternative club. You might run into people who go outside to the smoking area when a sound they don't like comes on, but at least they're not trying to exclude people or control the music.
This is one thing I've noticed about the metal fandom--it seems to be the most splintered and fractured music fandom by far, with so much absurd and bitter in-fighting I'm amazed you guys can consider yourselves all apart of one fandom. Metal is like the only music fandom I've seen where a new subgenre has to undergo this tortured and laborious test to even BE considered metal, and even then many metal fans will still shitpost about how it's not "TROO METAL".

Also god-fucking-forbid you mis-ID a rock song as metal, metalheads will flip the fuck out if you do.
This, I'd definitely agree with. It's not something specific to metalheads, or necessarily even the way the majority behave, but it's definitely something you notice more in Metal. Perhaps they're just more vocal about their musical tastes (a lot of metalheads I've met almost define themselves based on the kind of metal they listen to. I suppose the "west-coast vs. east-coast" thing in rap (is that actually a thing?) might be somewhat similar).
I can't speak much about Rap (though east-vs-west definitely was A Thing), but at least in EDM you don't really ever get those "I listen to [Genre] and nothing else". Right now I have two EDM compilations by Monstercat; the first one goes from Drumstep, Liquid DnB, Glitch Hop, Electro, to Dubstep in the first ten songs alone. Later on in the compilation there's a smooth and chillax Nu Disco song right next to an aggressive and violent Dubstep song. In Metal people often seem to go "I listen to [Genre] and nothing but [Genre]" and then judge every song by "how closely does it fit [Genre]". And non-metal songs simply are automatically bad because they aren't Metal no matter what.

Metal fans just seem more cliquey in general. Whenever people are asked the question "do you prefer EDM or Metal?" the EDM guys just go "I prefer EDM" but a lot of the metal guys go "I like Metal because anything not Metal is for fucking little girls and faggots!"

As for myself--I guess you could consider me a metal fan, though I generally have no interest in seeking it out because I don't really like the more violent bent to the music in most of its genres (oddly enough I love harsh vocals); though I guess some songs I like could be considered metal. Such as this. I don't know if that counts as metal or just rock; the band calls (or called since they broke up) themselves "Post-Hardcore" but they're Japanese so they might mean it in a different way.

The works of Daisuke Ishiwatari are usually considered metal; an example. No idea what kind of metal that would count as; though Ishiwatari did partner with a Japanese metal band to make the remixed soundtrack for BBCP (of which the song I posted is).
Nūdenku waga honji ma naku honyasi ne ika-ika ichamase!
female-appearance=despite boy-voice=PAT hold boy-youth=TOP very be.cute-3PL
Honyasi zō honyasi ma naidasu.
boy-youth=AGT boy-youth=PAT love.romantically-3S
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Two songs I quite like today [:)]

Propaganda by Ruoska
Saatana Palvoo Meitä by Ajattara

Apparently Ajattara's acoustic album Noitumaa got fairly negative reviews, but I quite like it so meh [:P]

Oh, and I saw this video on Scuzz last night and thought it was pretty cool [:)]

Hail the Apocalypse by Avatar

And while we're talking about cool videos, I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned (unless I missed it):

Ratamahatta by Sepultura
Just one time.
Batrachus
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Batrachus »

Metallists on a linguistics forum? Great. Can anyone phonologically explain me how to growl? [:P]

Not to be off-topic:

Eluveitie - Inis Mona
Synthetic Flesh (actually not metal)

I like Sonata Arctica, Dream Theater, Sabaton, Black Sabbath (which is not surprising as these bands are pretty famous) and more ...
:ces: Native
:slk: Mutually intelligibile with native language
:eng: Almost fluent
:esp: Little
:deu: Little more
:epo: Everybody can speak it!
:con: Speedlang
Ànradh
roman
roman

Post by Ànradh »

Batrachus wrote:Metallists on a linguistics forum? Great. Can anyone phonologically explain me how to growl? [:P]
False chord screams (see Amon Amarth, Deicide etc.): a!
Vocal fry screams (see Humanity's Last Breath, Killswytch Engage with Howard Jones etc.): b̰ a̰
[;)]
Sin ar Pàrras agus nì sinne mar a thogras sinn. Choisinn sinn e agus ’s urrainn dhuinn ga loisgeadh.
Xonen

Post by Xonen »

Batrachus wrote:Metallists on a linguistics forum? Great. Can anyone phonologically explain me how to growl? [:P]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vocal_fry_register
Musically great, but linguistically pretty boring. [;)] From the same band, here's Omnos.
Spoiler:
Immi daga uimpi geneta,
lana beððos et’ iouintutos.
Blatus ceti, cantla carami.

Aia gnata uimpi iouinca,
pid in cete tu toue suoine,
pid uregisi peli doniobi?
Aia gnata uimpi iouinca,
pid in cete tu toue suoine?

(Aia mape coime,) adrete!
In blatugabagli uorete,
(cante snon) celilui in cete!

Vrit me lindos dubnon piseti

N’immi mapos, immi drucocu.
In cetobi selgin agumi,
selgin blatos tou’ iouintutos.

Nu, uoregon, cu, uorigamos,
lamman, cu, suuercin lingamos,
indui uelui cantla canamos!

In cetobi selgin agumi
Ne moi iantus gnaton uorega,
iantus drucocunos uoregon,
(cante toi in medie cete.)

Cu allate, papon sod urege,
eððilo de iantu in cridie.
Vedilumi: cante moi uosta!

Ne, a gnata, (cante t’usstami,)
ne uostami, ne te carami...

Boua daga uimpi geneta.
Immi trouga, lana narilas.

...nec carasumi!

Click
runic
runic

Post by Click »

Xonen wrote:
Spoiler:
Immi daga uimpi geneta,
lana beððos et’ iouintutos.
Blatus ceti, cantla carami.

Aia gnata uimpi iouinca,
pid in cete tu toue suoine,
pid uregisi peli doniobi?
Aia gnata uimpi iouinca,
pid in cete tu toue suoine?

(Aia mape coime,) adrete!
In blatugabagli uorete,
(cante snon) celilui in cete!

In cetobi selgin agumi,
selgin blatos tou’ iouintutos.

Nu, uoregon, cu, uorigamos,
lamman, cu, suuercin lingamos,
indui uelui cantla canamos!

In cetobi selgin agumi
Ne moi iantus gnaton uorega,
iantus drucocunos uoregon,
(cante toi in medie cete.)

Cu allate, papon sod urege,
eððilo de iantu in cridie.
Vedilumi: cante moi uosta!

Ne, a gnata, (cante t’usstami,)
ne uostami, ne te carami...

Boua daga uimpi geneta.
Immi trouga, lana narilas.

...nec carasumi!

Let me guess, is this Gaulish perhaps?
thaen
roman
roman

Post by thaen »

Demon Hunter
Killswitch Engage
Fit for a King
Red
Love and Death
Oh Sleeper
Nightwish

Just to name a few...
:con: Nillahimma
:con: Øð!
:con: Coneylang

I am the Great Rabbit. Fear me, O Crabs!
Spoiler:
ı θ ð ʃ ɲ ŋ ʔ ɛ ə ø ʑ ɕ ʷ ʲ ⁿ
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c55ybIOGEeU

From a linguistical point of view, would these sounds qualify as 'creaky' ?
Ànradh
roman
roman

Post by Ànradh »

Lambuzhao wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c55ybIOGEeU

In his specific case, no; he's using false chord distortion, which is referred to as harsh voice. Another example would be Amon Amarth or (because I'm utterly shameless) me.
On the other hand, creaky voice is used by vocal fry screamers like in Lamb of God or Arch Enemy.
Some screamers mix both though, which can muddy the issue.

Can you hear the difference between them? (Genuinely curious.) I tend to find that fry screams have more of a whispered quality and a greater range, especially in the highs, than do false chord screams.
thaen
roman
roman

Post by thaen »

I'm still dying because apparently in Dinka a foreign speaker might easily confuse diarrhea, scorpions, and to swallow. [xD] [xD] [xD]
:con: Nillahimma
:con: Øð!
:con: Coneylang

I am the Great Rabbit. Fear me, O Crabs!
Spoiler:
ı θ ð ʃ ɲ ŋ ʔ ɛ ə ø ʑ ɕ ʷ ʲ ⁿ
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Ànradh wrote:
Lambuzhao wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c55ybIOGEeU

In his specific case, no; he's using false chord distortion, which is referred to as harsh voice. Another example would be Amon Amarth or (because I'm utterly shameless) me.
On the other hand, creaky voice is used by vocal fry screamers like in Lamb of God or Arch Enemy.
Some screamers mix both though, which can muddy the issue.

Can you hear the difference between them? (Genuinely curious.) I tend to find that fry screams have more of a whispered quality and a greater range, especially in the highs, than do false chord screams.
Aha. Creaky is that 'popping', well... creaky feeling in the back of the throat. Pretty much like how I would do a pterodactyl (well, one way).

Sonically~vocally, is harsh voice (un)related to Tibetan multiple chant?
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

thaen wrote:I'm still dying because apparently in Dinka a foreign speaker might easily confuse diarrhea, scorpions, and to swallow. [xD] [xD] [xD]
Whatever those quasi-homonyms are, I'm stealing them and using them in my :con: to mean colonoscopy, because, yeah, when I think colonoscopy, I'm thinking
diarrhea, swallow and scorpions. In that order.
[:|] [xD]
Xonen

Post by Xonen »

Ànradh wrote:me.
Neat. Have a /,,/.
I think I can sort of hear it, yes - although I would probably have trouble identifying it correctly if you just picked a random death metal vocalist and asked me which technique they're using... Also, I'm pretty sure I can produce more than two different kinds of growls myself, but I don't really know which parts of my vocal apparatus I'm using to generate them. Plus some of them kinda hurt, which I'm told isn't supposed to happen. [¬.¬] Anyway.

Anders Fridén of In Flames is interesting in that, AFAICT, he uses creaky voice for almost all of his clean vocals.
thetha
mayan
mayan

Post by thetha »

Opinions on deathcore/metalcore? Is it real metal? Do you enjoy listening to any bands in those genres?
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

Teddy wrote:Opinions on deathcore/metalcore? Is it real metal? Do you enjoy listening to any bands in those genres?
As I think has been discussed. There is no such thing as True Metal. It all exists in a continuum.
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]