Metal Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
sangi39

Re: Metal Thread

Post by sangi39 »

Oh, and on somewhat of a side note, one of my favourite stories in Metal came from Download a few years ago, not sure which year exactly, but basically Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden) was sat down having a chat with Robb Flynn (Machine Head) (note the cross-sub-genre niceties) and Robb Flynn told Bruce Dickinson that Iron Maiden was one of the main reasons he wanted to get into music seriously. Bruce Dickinson then turns round to Robb Flynn and says that his son, Austin I think (Rise to Remain) listened to a lot of Machine Head when he started forming and joining bands, but almost nothing by Iron Maiden. They seemed to look at this really well, with one generation influencing the next, who then go on to influence the next, forming an interwoven community. It's pretty cool when you think of it like that, rather than the fanatically reactionary rants of some people [:)]
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
Chagen
runic
runic

Post by Chagen »

Micamo wrote:
Chagen wrote:Ah, okay. I thought some parts like the normal singing vocals would discount it. Would you happen to know any other bands with a similar style? I love Foreground Eclipse but now they've disbanded sadly enough.
They sing in English, but the song you linked sounds a lot to me like newer DragonForce stuff.

If you're specifically looking for a band that sings in Japanese, then I don't know of any. (I'm rather new to the metal scene myself.)
Uh...huh.

I used to listen to Dragonforce and had two of their albums, but I stopped listening to them mainly due to learning about their supposed lack of actual talent.
Nūdenku waga honji ma naku honyasi ne ika-ika ichamase!
female-appearance=despite boy-voice=PAT hold boy-youth=TOP very be.cute-3PL
Honyasi zō honyasi ma naidasu.
boy-youth=AGT boy-youth=PAT love.romantically-3S
Xonen

Post by Xonen »

sangi39 wrote:When Dio died I saw so a handful of people going "that guy and his band suck", or something along those lines, and all I could think was
All I can think is that's not worth even thinking about. Reacting with that to someone dying doesn't even qualify you as a troll, more like some sort of fungus growing under the bridge. (Or, to be really charitable, about twelve years old and trying to appear macho. In either case, not really anything whose views I'd consider worth considering.)
I don't like his stuff either
I suppose that makes us enemies, then. [:(] Swords, pistols or battleaxes?

Although to be fair, I haven't really listened to too much of his stuff, either. I know the major hits and own this compilation from his time in Black Sabbath - and based on those, I'd say he was one hell of a singer - but I guess I'm not really a diehard fan. It's more about the principle of the thing.
I expect to see the same thing when Ozzy Osbourne eventually dies in about three millennia [:P]
Ozzy's been dead since '82, he's just been too blitzed to notice it himself. I fully expect him to hobble up on stage one of these decades and just suddenly crumble to dust.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Xonen wrote:
sangi39 wrote:When Dio died I saw so a handful of people going "that guy and his band suck", or something along those lines, and all I could think was
All I can think is that's not worth even thinking about. Reacting with that to someone dying doesn't even qualify you as a troll, more like some sort of fungus growing under the bridge. (Or, to be really charitable, about twelve years old and trying to appear macho. In either case, not really anything whose views I'd consider worth considering.)
I think I was going that way, but diverted a bit [:S]
Xonen wrote:
I don't like his stuff either
I suppose that makes us enemies, then. [:(] Swords, pistols or battleaxes?
battle-axes, surely? Then we can invite Turisas to play "Battle Metal" [:D]
Xonen wrote:Although to be fair, I haven't really listened to too much of his stuff, either. I know the major hits and own this compilation from his time in Black Sabbath - and based on those, I'd say he was one hell of a singer - but I guess I'm not really a diehard fan. It's more about the principle of the thing.
Oh, I'm not denying he was a good singer, I just don't quite like a lot of the older Metal scene (goes so against the point I was trying to make [:P]
Xonen wrote:
I expect to see the same thing when Ozzy Osbourne eventually dies in about three millennia [:P]
Ozzy's been dead since '82, he's just too blitzed to notice. I fully expect him to hobble up on stage one of these decades and just suddenly crumble to dust.
I thought was Sharon?
Just one time.
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

Chagen wrote:I used to listen to Dragonforce and had two of their albums, but I stopped listening to them mainly due to learning about their supposed lack of actual talent.
Would this happen to have been from the same people who told you that clean vocals disqualifies you from being metal?
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

You guys, I often can't really tell if a song is metal, alternative metal or hard/rock...
  • I like SOAD, I think that is metal...
  • I like a good number of the Foo Fighter songs (namely: Pretender, Rope, Let It Die, Walk, Bridge Burning, One of These Days), I think they might be hard/rock
  • I like Billy Talent
  • I like a lot of Three Days Grace and Finger 11, I think those are hard/rock...
  • I like Radioactive and Demons, by Imagine Dragons, that's it.
  • I like only one song by Hail the Villain
  • I listen to some Thousand Foot Krutch, namely this song, dunno if that song is hard rock
  • I also like some songs by Blue Stahli.
  • I like Monster and Nightmare by Skillet, which I think is metal
  • Most other songs I only like one from each band generally, like this and this and this.
I don't often really like song with hard (by hard, I mean rough and growly) vocals, so naturally, I'm not a fan of bands like Slipknot.
There are exceptions... like maybe Psychosocial...
Chagen wrote:Ah, okay. I thought some parts like the normal singing vocals would discount it. Would you happen to know any other bands with a similar style? I love Foreground Eclipse but now they've disbanded sadly enough.
Some songs by Undead Corporation are entirely in Japanese, like this and this and this.
There is also my favourite by Tumeneco:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e55N414Rhs

Also, you like some Metalstep?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L99mOCex5xg
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Xonen

Post by Xonen »

Chagen wrote:I used to listen to Dragonforce and had two of their albums, but I stopped listening to them mainly due to learning about their supposed lack of actual talent.
You decide whether or not to listen to a band based on what other people "suppose" about them? :wat:

sangi39 wrote:
Xonen wrote:
Ozzy's been dead since '82, he's just been too blitzed to notice it himself. I fully expect him to hobble up on stage one of these decades and just suddenly crumble to dust.
I thought was Sharon?
Well yeah, the alternative theory would of course be that Sharon struck a deal with the devil to reanimate Ozzy's corpse so she can keep making money off it. However, this strikes me as extremely unlikely, since it rests on the assumption that the devil would be prepared to deal with entities as evil as Sharon Osbourne.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Xonen wrote:
sangi39 wrote:
Xonen wrote:
I thought was Sharon?
Well yeah, the alternative theory would of course be that Sharon struck a deal with the devil to reanimate Ozzy's corpse so she can keep making money off it. However, this strikes me as extremely unlikely, since it rests on the assumption that the devil would be prepared to deal with entities as evil as Sharon Osbourne.
Ah, yes, now that's a fair point. Something's definitely keeping that man alive well past his natural time of death, though. Maybe that's what the bat's head was about.
Just one time.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Chagen wrote:For instance, wood this count as metal?
No.
Obviously it counts as wood.
Chagen
runic
runic

Post by Chagen »

Xonen wrote:
You decide whether or not to listen to a band based on what other people "suppose" about them? :wat:

Dragonforce's lack of actual talent is pretty well known bro. Just look at their infamous live concerts.
Nūdenku waga honji ma naku honyasi ne ika-ika ichamase!
female-appearance=despite boy-voice=PAT hold boy-youth=TOP very be.cute-3PL
Honyasi zō honyasi ma naidasu.
boy-youth=AGT boy-youth=PAT love.romantically-3S
Xonen

Post by Xonen »

Chagen wrote:
Xonen wrote:

Dragonforce's lack of actual talent is pretty well known bro.
Yet somehow you were able to listen to them with no problem until someone pointed this out to you? That is, you didn't make the decision to stop listening because you stopped liking how the music actually sounds, but because of some abstract notion of "talent"?
Just look at their infamous live concerts.
Yeah, I've heard they often get up on stage drunk off their asses and mess up their solos. Which is kinda dumb, I suppose, but doesn't really say much about their talent as musicians.
gach
MVP
MVP

Post by gach »

To comp it a bit, the point is that the wording "mainly due to learning about their supposed lack of actual talent" suggests that you stopped listening to them out of fear of appearing to lack good taste as opposed to genuinely not caring about them. There's nothing wrong in enjoying stuff that's supposedly "terrible" and not considered high culture.
ImageKištaLkal sikSeic
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

gach wrote:To comp it a bit, the point is that the wording "mainly due to learning about their supposed lack of actual talent" suggests that you stopped listening to them out of fear of appearing to lack good taste as opposed to genuinely not caring about them. There's nothing wrong in enjoying stuff that's supposedly "terrible" and not considered high culture.
Just look at all the Nickelback fans.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Just one time.
Ànradh
roman
roman

Post by Ànradh »

Ahzoh,

SOAD are prog-metal.
Foo Fighters are usually considered post-grunge, which basically means 'like Nirvana but...'. I'd give them hard-rock normally.
Billy Talent seem to be pop-punk.
Three Days Grace, Hail the Villain, Thousand Foot Krutch, Gemini Syndrome and Evans Blue all seem to be nu-metal or nu-metal/alt-metal hybrids.
Finger 11 and Imagine Dragons are rock for sure, probably indie-rock, but I'm not familiar enough with that genre to say for certain.
Blue Stahli has that Marilyn Mansonesque electronic-metal/industrial-metal vibe; I reckon I could get into this guy's stuff, actually.
Skillet, I think, are hard-rock verging on alt-metal. Honestly though, a touch of electronics, or the odd rapped passage would have convinced me they were nu-metal too. Might explain why most nu-metal bands turn more hard-rock-like after a few albums.
Krash Karma seem to be alt-rock... They seem a bit too gentle for hard-rock.
And Slipknot, my favourite band, usually seem to be nu-metal or groove-metal but I find their exact sub-genre hard to pin down, to be honest.

I'll say one thing, Ahzoh, there's a consistent thread I can detect in your music taste.
Edit: Hmmm... my avatar can't seem to load.
Sin ar Pàrras agus nì sinne mar a thogras sinn. Choisinn sinn e agus ’s urrainn dhuinn ga loisgeadh.
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

Ànradh wrote:Ahzoh,

SOAD are prog-metal.
Foo Fighters are usually considered post-grunge, which basically means 'like Nirvana but...'. I'd give them hard-rock normally.
Billy Talent seem to be pop-punk.
Three Days Grace, Hail the Villain, Thousand Foot Krutch, Gemini Syndrome and Evans Blue all seem to be nu-metal or nu-metal/alt-metal hybrids.
Finger 11 and Imagine Dragons are rock for sure, probably indie-rock, but I'm not familiar enough with that genre to say for certain.
Blue Stahli has that Marilyn Mansonesque electronic-metal/industrial-metal vibe; I reckon I could get into this guy's stuff, actually.
Skillet, I think, are hard-rock verging on alt-metal. Honestly though, a touch of electronics, or the odd rapped passage would have convinced me they were nu-metal too. Might explain why most nu-metal bands turn more hard-rock-like after a few albums.
Krash Karma seem to be alt-rock... They seem a bit too gentle for hard-rock.
And Slipknot, my favourite band, usually seem to be nu-metal or groove-metal but I find their exact sub-genre hard to pin down, to be honest.

I'll say one thing, Ahzoh, there's a consistent thread I can detect in your music taste.
Also Distrubed; I like Ten Thousand Fists, Stricken, Into the Fire and Haunted.

I've been trying to figure out my tastes for years.
Xonen

Post by Xonen »

In a world steadily going to hell, the Finnish parliament actually surprised me today and voted correctly for once. [:)] I guess this calls for rainbows.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Xonen wrote:In a world steadily going to hell, the Finnish parliament actually surprised me today and voted correctly for once. [:)] I guess this calls for rainbows.
I thought I'd see this news posted on the CBB eventually, but I didn't expect to see it posted in this thread specifically. Rainbows indeed! [:D]
Just one time.
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

Does this song have metal elements to it?
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Ahzoh wrote:Does this song have metal elements to it?
Elements, yes, but they've been so overridden by the dubstep/industrial elements that I don't think you could reasonably say that it fell within Metal any more, but that's just my opinion.
Just one time.