Other Creativity

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Thakowsaizmu
runic
runic

Re: Other Creativity

Post by Thakowsaizmu »

Hehe, alright.
KiKi Tampusa
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by KiKi Tampusa »

Thakowsaizmu wrote:We aren't debating anything. English has a funny way of having many ways to spell things.
I was defending my spelling. A trait that comes from debate team. I too agree English does have a funny way of spelling things /jewels/, /joules/ and /Jules/.
What are Klingon speakers doing? They are engaging in intellectually stimulating language play. They are enjoying themselves for languages sake, art for art’s sakes. And like all committed artists, they will do their thing, critics be damned.
Arika Okrent
Thakowsaizmu
runic
runic

Post by Thakowsaizmu »

KiKi Tampusa wrote:
Thakowsaizmu wrote:We aren't debating anything. English has a funny way of having many ways to spell things.
I was defending my spelling. A trait that comes from debate team. I too agree English does have a funny way of spelling things /jewels/, /joules/ and /Jules/.
Your spelling wasn't on trial.
jseamus
greek
greek

Post by jseamus »

KiKi Tampusa wrote:I was defending my spelling. A trait that comes from debate team. I too agree English does have a funny way of spelling things /jewels/, /joules/ and /Jules/.
Usually, orthography is enclosed in angle brackets <laik sow>, while forward slashes are reserved for /f@"nEtIk no"teIS@n/.

EDIT: Pardon me. I erred. Forward slashes / / are for phonemic notation, brackets [ ] are for phonetic.
Last edited by jseamus on 25 Nov 2010 05:57, edited 1 time in total.
This is the world.
KiKi Tampusa
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by KiKi Tampusa »

Thank you.
What are Klingon speakers doing? They are engaging in intellectually stimulating language play. They are enjoying themselves for languages sake, art for art’s sakes. And like all committed artists, they will do their thing, critics be damned.
Arika Okrent
Ceresz
mayan
mayan

Post by Ceresz »

Batgirl in bikini = win.
Tanni
greek
greek

Post by Tanni »

Here is some very small part of my story and some additional explanations I translated for Khagan over a year ago:
Spoiler:
Yesterday -- actually today some time after midnight -- I tried to translate a very small part of my story. It is somewhat representative of the text's general atmosphere at least of the first part of that story. It is at the end of the middle third of that first part. The scene takes place in some kind of wood or very naturalistic forest up to now called the Demon's sylvan, which is located in the Highland. I maybe will change the name of that forest. (I hope I have applied the term 'sylvan' correctly.) It took me about one and a half hour to translate this few lines:
In the dim grey light of early morning

The next morning, the witch woke up early. Tanni and Ledy were still sleeping. But the Caty was already awoke, so she laid her sleeping blanket over her shoulders and took him out of his bark bed. He clinged to her tightly and cuddled up to her left side below the wings built by the blanket. Then the witch took a seat besides the entrence of the tree cave. So they sat snuggled up together in the cold in the pale, grey light of early morning.
This is the whole chapter up to now. The title comes form a title or a line of a text in our English textbook. It is one of the few good memories from the school I attended then. But of course, the story in the textbook was quite different.

Not every blanket is a sleeping blanket. I don't know if such a term exists in English. In my native tongue, building up composita form e. g. sleep and blanket to derive a word for a subclass of things is quite easy. This special kind of heavy and worm blankets are the most precious property one could have in this witch-based culture. I tried to be as close as possible to the original text, but had to change the original general term for a place where you lay down for a rest or for sleeping in e.g. a camp (the later also could be refered to with that special term) to 'bark bed', because the translation my dictionary offers would be a little misleading. The bed is actually a peace of bark form a tree, which is not mentioned in this chapter, but in one of the previous. But the internet offers me 'bed' in the sense of 'makeshift bed', which also is not that what I intended. Yes, these bed is provisorily, but it fits well for the Caty. And as the Caty never slept in a bed like ours, for him this bed is wonderful. So it's quite difficult to translate an ambiguous word of my native tongue to a likewise ambiguous term in English. There are cold, coldness and chilliness. I took 'cold' because according to my dictionary, it deals with temperature. The others maybe have some other connotations. Pale and grey are in a list in my translation, in the original text it is one composit word denoting some shade of grey.
My neurochemistry has fucked my impulse control, now I'm diagnosed OOD = oppositional opinion disorder, one of the most deadly diseases in totalitarian states, but can be cured in the free world.
CMunk
greek
greek

Post by CMunk »

I am very much into typography and such. (just look at my avatar, that's an ambigram). Most of my creativity is lead through FontStruct, here: http://fontstruct.fontshop.com/fontstructors/cmunk
Native: :dan: | Fluent: :uk: | Less than fluent: :deu:, :jpn:, :epo: | Beginner: Image, :fao:, :non:
Creating: :con:Jwar Nong, :con:Mhmmz
Ear of the Sphinx
mayan
mayan

Post by Ear of the Sphinx »

CMunk wrote:I am very much into typography and such. (just look at my avatar, that's an ambigram). Most of my creativity is lead through FontStruct, here: http://fontstruct.fontshop.com/fontstructors/cmunk
I was there, but I've only created some fonts for conscripts.

What do you think about my ambigram?
Thrice the brinded cat hath mew'd.
Ceresz
mayan
mayan

Post by Ceresz »

CMunk wrote:I am very much into typography and such. (just look at my avatar, that's an ambigram). Most of my creativity is lead through FontStruct, here: http://fontstruct.fontshop.com/fontstructors/cmunk
For some reason I never noticed, and yet I have a soft spot for ambigrams.

Nice fonts!
fiziwig
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by fiziwig »

I draw and paint:

I do some cartooning: http://fiziwig.com/toons/index.html

I've done a couple animated cartoons:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13hKYXSY5Gs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBndWASgxsA

I also enjoy composing music in the classical/film style: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=744587

--gary
Ceresz
mayan
mayan

Post by Ceresz »

That picture looked great, Gary. Now I really feel the need to start drawing again... I need to catch up. I'll listen to your compositions later :-).
Czwartek
sinic
sinic

Post by Czwartek »

fiziwig: That drawing is amazing! I'll check out those other links tomorrow. Right now I'm on the internet on my phone.

I used to do a bit of writing songs (but no music), poems and short stories. After a while I began to realise that most of my stuff was cringeworthily bad, but I still remember one limerick.
Spoiler:
There once was a farmer called Welling
he grew everything where he was dwelling
in the field he grew wheat
from his livestock the meat
cannabis in the loft for the selling

He had a deaf wife called Terisa
he'd give up his life just to please her
one day he felt low
so he smoked until stoned
grabbed the axe, stuffed her head in the freezer

Years later he sits in his cage
where one man a day feels death's rage
"To you my dear wife
why I ended your life"

is what he writes down on the page

"One night I awoke in the dreamin'
and all I could hear was the screamin'
strange creatures filled the room
chanting my impending doom
you weren't you but a flesh-eating demon."
Czwartek
sinic
sinic

Post by Czwartek »

Those cartoons are pretty good fiziwig! Creative and humorously random. :-D
Ossicone
vice admin
vice admin

Post by Ossicone »

So... what doesn't fiziwig do? :D
jseamus
greek
greek

Post by jseamus »

Ossicone wrote:So... what doesn't fiziwig do? :D
Retired programmer?
This is the world.
fiziwig
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by fiziwig »

jseamus wrote:
Retired programmer?
Retired video game programmer. :-D :-D :-D

My ex-wife used to say that my hobby was collecting hobbies. I would dabble in something for several months until I got halfway decent at it and then lose interest and move on to something else. Through it all conlanging, cryptography and mathematics seem to be the three interests I keep coming back to. :)

--gary
Tanni
greek
greek

Post by Tanni »

fiziwig wrote:
jseamus wrote:
Retired programmer?
What systems did you work on?
My neurochemistry has fucked my impulse control, now I'm diagnosed OOD = oppositional opinion disorder, one of the most deadly diseases in totalitarian states, but can be cured in the free world.
fiziwig
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by fiziwig »

Tanni wrote:
fiziwig wrote:[
What systems did you work on?
In the beginning: Apple II. Later Stand-alone coin op arcade games at Sega, Atari 2600 games at Atari, PC games at Dynamix/Sierra Online. You'll find me in "The Giant List of Classic Game Programmers" http://www.dadgum.com/giantlist/list.html under Shannon, Gary

--gary
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

Wait, you made Astroblaster?

*melts*
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter