Other Creativity

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Yačay256
greek
greek

Re: Other Creativity

Post by Yačay256 »

Besides conning, I do am creative in 2 areas mainly: Fishkeeping and painting.
Fishkeeping

I have 2 aquariums, 1 300 litres in my living room and 1 40 litres in my bedroom. They are both freshwater community tanks with heaters, thermometers, high quality filters.

My little aquarium has rhino shrimp, gold tetras (I wrote the Wikipedia article on gold tetras a few days ago, BTW) and dwarf neon rainbowfish. It has 4 plants in it, all doing well, black, fine gravel as a substrate, a stone and snails. I like to look at it when I am working in my room. I have had it for about 4 months now.

My large aquarium is beautiful and has Celebes rainbowfish, longfin leopard danios, minnows, butterfly plecos, blue tetras, cardinal tetras, cory catfish, a platy and guppies. It has 5 plants and several stones and a log covered in Java moss. I have had it for about 1 year now and I love it.

I am beginning to do more sophisticated aquascaping with both my aquariums. I feed them both mostly flake food with some frozen algae blocks and blanched vegetables as supplements. I always clean my aquariums with distilled water, never the high-Ph tap water that once caused many of my fish to perish.
Painting

I depict scenes from my alternate Earth and other representational art on paper, mostly copier paper because my mother gets huge amounts of it for free from her work but also Lokta paper for my most prized works. I mostly use watercolor though I also use acrylic, both of which I mix myself from only a few core colors. I have about 14 paintbrushes at my disposal.

My representational style blends Egyptian influences, especially in the depiction of people and my "Flat" paintings, Chinese influences, in my paintings where I use an axonometric projection, and Indian influences, in my frequent use of oblique projections, lack of shading and the rich use of color that others always seem to notice when I show them my paintings.

Here is a sample painting from my website: Image.

I also paint abstract and I am most influenced by Hard-edged painting and the interlaced patterns of Chokwe Sona sand drawings.
Last edited by Yačay256 on 13 May 2011 00:55, edited 1 time in total.
¡Mñíĝínxàʋày!
¡[ˈmí.ɲ̟ōj.ˌɣín.ʃà.βä́j]!
2-POSS.EXCL.ALIEN-COMP-friend.comrade
Hello, colleagues!
Sankon
sinic
sinic

Post by Sankon »

This is probably riddled with mistakes and it is awful prose and it's missing some macrons, but what the hell:

Auricoma et Tres Ursī

Olim tres ursī, quī in casā in silvā habitābant, in mensā sederunt ut cenam edant. Mater ursa in triclinium intravit et pultem in mensā posivit. Ursulus suam pultem temptavit, sed Ursulus, "Haec puls nimis frigida est!" inquit. In igitur silvam ambulāre decreverunt.

Tunc Auricoma in casam intravit. Tres craterēs pultis vidit. Primum craterem pultis, quem pater habēbat, temptavit, et Auricoma, "Haec puls nimis calida est!" inquit. Tunc secundum craterem, quem mater habēbat, temptavit, et, "Haec puls nimis frigida est!" inquit. Tunc tertium craterem, quem Ursulus habēbat, temptavit, et, “Haec puls perrecta est!” inquit et totam pultis edit.

Tunc Auricoma tres sellās vidit. Sellam patris tempatavit, et, “Haec sella nimis magna est!” inquit. Sellam matris tempatavit, et, “Haec sella nimis parva est!” inquit. Sellam Ursulī tempatavit, et, “Haec sella perrecta est!” inquit. Tunc cedit.

Tunc Auricoma tres lectōs vidit. In maximō lectō iacuit, et, “Hic lectus nimis durus est!” inquit. In maiorī lectō iacuit, et, “Hic lectus nimis mollis est!” inquit. In parvō lectō iacuit, et, “Hic lectus perrecta est!” inquit dormiēbatque.

Tres ursī domum venerunt. In triclinium ierunt, et Pater ursus, “Aliquis meam pultem edēbat!” inquit. Mater ursa dixit, “Aliquis quoque meam pultem edēbat!” Et Ursulus, “Aliquis totam meam pultem edit!” Tunc suās sellās viderunt et Pater ursus, “Aliquis in meā sellā sedēbat!” inquit. Mater ursa dixit, “Aliquis quoque in meā sellā sedēbat!” Et Ursulus, “Aliquis in meā sellā sedēbat et cedit!” Lacrimae ex oculīs Ursulī pluunt. Tunc suōs lectōs viderunt. Pater Materque, “Aliquis in nostrīs lectīs dormiebat!” Ursulus dixit, “Aliquis in meō lectō dormiebat, et hīc est!” Auricoma igitur surrexit, magnum clamorem fecit, et cucurrit ē casā.

Mater ursa novam pultem coxit et tres ursī feliciter edebant.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Thakowsaizmu wrote:So I am debating on if I will post more of my story I posted when this thread first started. I have four more chapters. Chapter six pissed me off though, because the computer got wonky and I lost over half of it.
If you post it, we will read.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Sankon wrote:Auricoma et Tres Ursī
Goldenhair and Three Bears, right?
Sankon
sinic
sinic

Post by Sankon »

Yes, but more idiomatically, "Goldilocks and the Three Bears".

:-D
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

"Goldilocks", not "gold comet" or "gold comb"?
Sankon
sinic
sinic

Post by Sankon »

Golden Comet and the Three Bears!

A futuristic tale in which a Golden Comet comes sweeping down and destroys the Three Bears' home, crumbling their space rations, destroying their seats, and breaking their sleeping compartments!

Coming to bookstores near you!
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Sankon wrote:Golden Comet and the Three Bears!

A futuristic tale in which a Golden Comet comes sweeping down and destroys the Three Bears' home, crumbling their space rations, destroying their seats, and breaking their sleeping compartments!

Coming to bookstores near you!
"Tres Ursi" may actually refer to the hypothesis that the Weros, the inhabitants of the Indo-European Ur-heimat, might have been tree-dwellers.

Don't you think?

:mrgreen:
Ilaeriu
sinic
sinic

Post by Ilaeriu »

I'm actually more focused on writing than conning, but I share more of my con-work because I'm pretty reserved with my writing as well. Most of my conworld Alyrica is setting up the scene for a series of books I keep on the back burner.

I'll probably post a chapter of some work or something soon.

I don't write music, but I usually sing along to most of the hit pop songs these days. I made a cover of ET by Katy Perry a couple weeks ago, so I'll share it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0mGg6NJxYs

I'm really off in some places and suck in general, but it's an okay first cover all in all... I'm not aspiring to be a musician, just stuff I do when I'm bored so yeah :P I also haven't taken piano lessons since I was like 8, and have forgotten most of it, which is why the chords I'm playing are pretty simple and I mess up quite a bit :P

(in order of proficiency from greatest to least)
Native :eng: | Fluent :tgl: | Learning :esp: · :kor: · :zho: · :qbc: | Want to learn :lat: · :jpn: · :ara:
Xing
MVP
MVP

Post by Xing »

fiziwig wrote:
Micamo wrote:Well, Ossicone wanted to see one of my serious attempts, blame her for this one.

It's Dave, the bearded cyclops rock! Getting stabbed to death by what appears to be Silvio Berlusconi!
Outstanding!

Reminiscent of the Surrealist Automatism of Joan Miro. :-D :-D :-D

--gary
It's way better than all the tax-paid paintings at my work : )
Ceresz
mayan
mayan

Post by Ceresz »

Here's something I did about two months ago.
I want a new tablet :-(.

Ossicone
vice admin
vice admin

Post by Ossicone »

FYI: You're a bastard and I hate you.
Ceresz
mayan
mayan

Post by Ceresz »

I love you too, Ossicone.
Ossicone
vice admin
vice admin

Post by Ossicone »

<3
Ceresz
mayan
mayan

Post by Ceresz »

Röda Ljus

Just a small song I wrote recently. The lyrics aren't completely finished, but here's what I have so far:

Du stänger dörren,
förgiftar luften
& låser dig in
Du bländar ljuset,
bedövar ljudet
& vänder dig om

Men du är som ett vilt djur,
förskräckt och bländad av röda ljus
& du kan inte dölja
den stora rädslan som följer dig nu

Hon släcker elden,
förbränner tiden
& andas in tungt
Hon lurar döden,
besegrar öden
& får sin dom

& hon är som en tyst dröm,
ett bortglömt hjärtas eviga rop
Men hon kan inte minnas
hur evig tystnad känns i regnet
Mountainmax
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Mountainmax »

Here's the first two paragraphs of a short story I'm working on. (any crapiness should be pointed out blatantly and shoved on the face of the author with abandon)
Spoiler:
I didn’t know who he was--I never even bothered to ask him his name. All I know is between that time when he offered me an umbrella outside my door and yesterday, he showed me the infinite value of my life.
“My dear, I am of a special personage” he told me, “in which one might view the perquisites of one’s life not from frog’s eye, bird’s eye, or man’s eye, but from what you would call God’s eye: an all encompassing vision seeing what is on top, under, in between, and especially the things that could have been.” In this moment he forced me from under my houses porch and into the rain. “observe these obtuse spheres of water hit the ground.” He commanded me. When I “observed” the rain, I thought he cast a spell over me; I could see the droplets hitting the ground in slow motion. They didn’t hit the same spot twice and they exploded into infinite smaller versions of themselves until they were so small that their shape was unnoticeable. “The period of time in which a person breaths, laugh, dances, toils, fades and dies; is much like these spheres here.” He waived his umbrella into the air like he was trying to catch butterflies. “Each one, so small and insignificant from one’s eye, but equally equal in reality ‘s.” He pointed his umbrella at me and the backdrop of my house, the city, and road, vanished, replaced with a void. It was quickly filled with a network of glowing lights traveling each and every way. He tapped his umbrella on the non-existent floor; “Any requests on the first destination? Or shall I commence this collection of experiences?”
Proto-Elezaic
Would greatly appreciate any critiques or comments
plathhs
sinic
sinic

Post by plathhs »

If there's a pen and paper nearby, and I don't have anything in particular to do, this is my default mode either until the paper is full or the pen breaks:

I don't know if I'd call it creativity, though it looks quite funny.
dh3537
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by dh3537 »

I wanted to write a book...
but I was too lazy...
so I wrote a program...
to write a book for me!

The program (written in vb.net) isn't very good and it's still in beta stage.
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

Public Class Form1
    ' Highest index is defined for arrays
    Dim nouns(9) As String
    Dim verbs(9) As String
    Dim adverbs(8) As String
    Dim adjectives(9) As String
    Dim connectors(4) As String

Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
        'Assigns the following Values to the elements in the nouns array      
        nouns(0) = "preposition"
        nouns(1) = "situation"
        nouns(2) = "leader"
        nouns(3) = "hunger"
        nouns(4) = "doctor association"
        nouns(5) = "demonstrators"
        nouns(6) = "laborers"
        nouns(7) = "doctrines"
        nouns(8) = "illegal immigrants"
        nouns(9) = "borders"
        ' Assigns the following values to the elments in the verbs Array
        verbs(0) = "culminated"
        verbs(1) = "complained"
        verbs(2) = "consecrated"
        verbs(3) = "preposed"
        verbs(4) = "refused"
        verbs(5) = "accepted"
        verbs(6) = "concluded"
        verbs(7) = "gyrated"
        verbs(8) = "forestalled"
        verbs(9) = "impeded"
        'Assigns the following values to the elements in the adverbs array
        adverbs(0) = "severely"
        adverbs(1) = "maladroitly"
        adverbs(2) = "precipitately"
        adverbs(3) = "hugely"
        adverbs(4) = "repeatedly"
        adverbs(5) = "angrily"
        adverbs(6) = "generally"
        adverbs(7) = "auricular"
        adverbs(8) = "aloof"
        'Assigns the following values to the elements in the adjectives array
        adjectives(0) = "benevolent"
        adjectives(1) = "transcendent"
        adjectives(2) = "slow"
        adjectives(3) = "elderly"
        adjectives(4) = "optimistic"
        adjectives(5) = "arid"
        adjectives(6) = "curt"
        adjectives(7) = "tawdry"
        adjectives(8) = "persistent"
        adjectives(9) = "small"
        'Assigns the following values to the elements in the connectors array
        connectors(0) = "Because"
        connectors(1) = "Although"
        connectors(2) = "Then"
        connectors(3) = "Though"
        connectors(4) = "But"

End Sub

Private Sub TextBox1_TextChanged(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles TextBox1.TextChanged

End Sub

Private Sub button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
        ' Create a random generator
        Dim rndVal As New Random
        Dim rndVal2 As New Random

' Variable to hold the story
        Dim story As String = ""

' "i" to count the sentences and index to store the value to use for each array
        Dim i As Integer
        Dim index As Integer

' Generate five sentences.
        For i = 1 To 100

' Create a new sentence
            Dim sentence As String = ""

' Generate a random connector and add it to sentence
            index = rndVal.Next(0, connectors.Length)
            sentence &= connectors(index) & " the "

' Generate new values for each array and add it to sentence
            index = rndVal.Next(0, adjectives.Length)
            sentence &= adjectives(index) & " "

index = rndVal.Next(0, nouns.Length)
            sentence &= nouns(index) & " "

index = rndVal.Next(0, verbs.Length)
            sentence &= verbs(index) & " "

index = rndVal.Next(0, adverbs.Length)
            sentence &= adverbs(index) & ", the "

index = rndVal.Next(0, nouns.Length)
            sentence &= nouns(index) & " "

index = rndVal.Next(0, verbs.Length)
            sentence &= verbs(index) & " "

index = rndVal.Next(0, adverbs.Length)
            sentence &= adverbs(index) & ". "

' Add sentence to story
            story &= sentence

Next

' Now show story in textbox
        TextBox1.Text = story

End Sub
End Class

An example "book" (if you can call it that, it's really a bunch of sentences) generated is this:
Spoiler:
Although the persistent situation complained angrily, the laborers preposed auricular. Then the optimistic hunger refused angrily, the doctor association consecrated maladroitly. Then the arid borders preposed generally, the illegal immigrants preposed severely. Then the small illegal immigrants accepted hugely, the leader impeded hugely. Though the slow leader accepted auricular, the situation gyrated auricular. Though the small laborers refused hugely, the situation impeded angrily. Because the small leader forestalled severely, the preposition preposed repeatedly. Then the benevolent laborers accepted auricular, the illegal immigrants refused precipitately. Then the small illegal immigrants preposed maladroitly, the laborers preposed hugely. But the transcendent doctrines forestalled maladroitly, the borders concluded hugely. Because the slow doctor association refused severely, the situation preposed angrily. But the persistent situation gyrated repeatedly, the situation impeded auricular. Then the optimistic borders refused precipitately, the laborers preposed hugely. Then the tawdry preposition impeded precipitately, the demonstrators preposed hugely. Then the slow demonstrators accepted precipitately, the preposition consecrated precipitately. Though the slow hunger preposed repeatedly, the laborers impeded generally. Because the small hunger gyrated aloof, the situation complained repeatedly. But the benevolent illegal immigrants consecrated maladroitly, the doctor association preposed hugely. Then the tawdry leader consecrated angrily, the hunger refused repeatedly. Although the curt doctrines culminated precipitately, the preposition forestalled aloof. But the elderly doctrines preposed precipitately, the laborers refused precipitately. Because the benevolent doctrines consecrated maladroitly, the borders complained precipitately. But the small illegal immigrants gyrated hugely, the laborers culminated auricular. Then the persistent doctor association preposed hugely, the situation consecrated auricular. Although the small doctor association gyrated generally, the borders complained aloof. Although the small situation accepted generally, the leader preposed precipitately. Then the arid situation consecrated maladroitly, the preposition refused maladroitly. Although the small borders refused maladroitly, the situation forestalled severely. But the persistent preposition complained repeatedly, the hunger accepted aloof. Though the small doctor association refused repeatedly, the demonstrators complained maladroitly. Then the slow illegal immigrants forestalled severely, the borders concluded maladroitly. Then the slow demonstrators gyrated severely, the doctrines gyrated maladroitly. Because the transcendent doctrines forestalled precipitately, the leader gyrated maladroitly. But the transcendent doctor association consecrated angrily, the preposition concluded generally. Though the tawdry borders forestalled precipitately, the preposition culminated auricular. Because the persistent laborers preposed auricular, the illegal immigrants forestalled severely. Because the elderly hunger refused auricular, the hunger impeded maladroitly. Then the curt illegal immigrants forestalled repeatedly, the doctor association accepted repeatedly. Then the tawdry borders preposed generally, the borders forestalled severely. Because the persistent laborers preposed angrily, the doctor association consecrated maladroitly. Although the optimistic preposition consecrated generally, the leader impeded repeatedly. Though the tawdry doctor association concluded maladroitly, the situation refused generally. Although the transcendent doctrines culminated auricular, the demonstrators consecrated precipitately. Then the elderly hunger culminated angrily, the demonstrators accepted severely. Although the tawdry demonstrators culminated hugely, the hunger gyrated precipitately. But the optimistic laborers culminated repeatedly, the leader forestalled aloof. Then the small situation refused generally, the leader consecrated generally. Because the persistent doctrines preposed aloof, the borders forestalled maladroitly. Because the elderly leader refused angrily, the hunger preposed aloof. Although the optimistic situation refused aloof, the leader gyrated precipitately. Then the elderly demonstrators gyrated repeatedly, the situation preposed maladroitly. Then the tawdry illegal immigrants accepted angrily, the doctor association preposed aloof. Though the optimistic illegal immigrants complained aloof, the doctor association consecrated severely. Then the slow preposition complained severely, the illegal immigrants forestalled aloof. Because the arid illegal immigrants accepted precipitately, the preposition concluded severely. Because the transcendent borders forestalled repeatedly, the illegal immigrants preposed aloof. Because the slow doctrines refused hugely, the laborers preposed severely. Because the arid situation consecrated severely, the situation culminated angrily. But the small doctor association culminated angrily, the doctrines concluded angrily. Though the persistent situation gyrated repeatedly, the doctor association refused generally. But the transcendent preposition forestalled severely, the hunger accepted hugely. Although the persistent doctor association gyrated aloof, the doctor association impeded auricular. Because the slow illegal immigrants concluded precipitately, the hunger preposed hugely. Then the transcendent doctrines accepted repeatedly, the demonstrators accepted angrily. Because the optimistic doctor association impeded maladroitly, the leader accepted angrily. Although the benevolent doctrines gyrated precipitately, the illegal immigrants concluded precipitately. But the slow doctrines consecrated repeatedly, the illegal immigrants refused repeatedly. Though the curt leader forestalled generally, the borders forestalled generally. Although the tawdry laborers refused severely, the borders gyrated auricular. Though the elderly leader consecrated repeatedly, the laborers complained generally. Then the elderly laborers consecrated auricular, the leader complained maladroitly. But the small leader accepted aloof, the laborers forestalled hugely. Because the transcendent doctor association accepted maladroitly, the situation consecrated aloof. Then the persistent demonstrators consecrated angrily, the situation impeded maladroitly. Then the arid hunger consecrated precipitately, the laborers forestalled severely. Though the optimistic demonstrators complained generally, the situation forestalled severely. Then the persistent preposition refused maladroitly, the demonstrators accepted hugely. Because the tawdry doctrines impeded generally, the borders accepted auricular. But the benevolent preposition refused precipitately, the laborers complained angrily. Although the optimistic illegal immigrants gyrated angrily, the situation complained hugely. Because the arid doctrines forestalled severely, the demonstrators impeded aloof. But the small situation accepted auricular, the borders preposed auricular. But the tawdry situation concluded maladroitly, the hunger gyrated auricular. Though the arid leader gyrated generally, the doctrines gyrated aloof. Then the elderly borders complained maladroitly, the doctrines concluded hugely. Because the benevolent demonstrators preposed repeatedly, the demonstrators gyrated precipitately. Because the benevolent illegal immigrants impeded aloof, the doctor association complained angrily. But the small situation accepted precipitately, the leader complained maladroitly. Although the slow borders refused aloof, the leader concluded severely. Because the tawdry demonstrators culminated auricular, the hunger preposed maladroitly. But the persistent laborers gyrated aloof, the illegal immigrants impeded severely. Although the elderly leader complained angrily, the situation culminated auricular. But the elderly preposition consecrated angrily, the leader preposed auricular. Then the tawdry illegal immigrants complained aloof, the preposition gyrated repeatedly. Then the benevolent doctrines refused angrily, the doctor association consecrated hugely. Although the persistent leader concluded aloof, the doctor association refused aloof. Though the tawdry situation accepted precipitately, the preposition accepted angrily. Then the persistent hunger complained aloof, the doctrines complained maladroitly. Then the persistent demonstrators concluded precipitately, the laborers complained repeatedly. Because the curt preposition gyrated aloof, the doctrines forestalled aloof.
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

DRY, son.
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter
peterofthecorn
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by peterofthecorn »

dh3537 wrote:I wanted to write a book...
but I was too lazy...
so I wrote a program...
to write a book for me!

The program (written in vb.net) isn't very good and it's still in beta stage.
I was just a little bit bored, so I wrote the same program in Javascript.
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

var words = {
    noun: ["preposition", "situation", "leader", "hunger", "doctor association", "demonstrators", "laborers", "doctrines", "illegal immigrants", "borders"],
    verb: ["culminated", "complained", "consecrated", "preposed", "refused", "accepted", "concluded", "gyrated", "forestalled", "impeded"],
    adverb: ["severely", "maladroitly", "precipitately", "hugely", "repeatedly", "angrily", "generally", "auricular", "aloof"],
    adjective: ["benevolent", "transcendent", "slow", "elderly", "optimistic", "arid", "curt", "tawdry", "persistent", "small"],
    connector: ["Because", "Although", "Then", "Though", "But"]
};

var syntax = [
    ["connector", " the "],
    ["adjective", " "],
    ["noun", " "],
    ["verb", " "],
    ["adverb", ", the "],
    ["noun", " "],
    ["verb", " "],
    ["adverb", ". "]
];

var getRandomElement = function(arr) {
    return arr[Math.floor(Math.random() * arr.length)];
};

var constructSentence = function() {
    var sentence = "";
    for (var i in syntax) {
        var partOfSpeech = syntax[i][0];
        var spacer = syntax[i][1];
        sentence += getRandomElement(words[partOfSpeech]) + spacer;
    }
    return sentence;
};

document.getElementById("button").onclick = function() {
    var numberOfSentences = document.getElementById("sentences").value;
    var story = "";

for (var i = 0; i < numberOfSentences; i++) story += constructSentence();
    document.getElementById("text").value = story;
};
Here is a working sample on JsFiddle.

I think my code should be more DRY and refactored.