Other Creativity

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
sangi39

Re: Other Creativity

Post by sangi39 »

Dormouse559 wrote: 15 Apr 2020 00:02 I thought I might share some of my other creativity. I've been learning to bake for maybe a year and a half now, and while social isolating I've put some treats together based on what we happen to have in the house. First I made some "millionaire's shortbread cookies". Then I made brownies with chocolate frosting. These lovelies are the most recent creation: caramel-filled brown sugar cupcakes topped with crème mousseline and dipped in more caramel.

Millionaire shortbread is one of my favourite things ever! [:D] How did you take that and switch it over to cookies?

The most recent creation look goooooood. The only disappointing thing about them is... that I don't have them! [:P]
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

sangi39 wrote: 15 Apr 2020 16:15Millionaire shortbread is one of my favourite things ever! [:D] How did you take that and switch it over to cookies?
I happened to find a shortbread cookie recipe in a Mary Berry cookbook (the fact it only calls for three ingredients was a plus). I also had some evaporated milk, so I used it in a kind of faux-caramel sauce and a chocolate ganache. Some of the cookies I drizzled with both. Some I topped with a layer of caramel sauce and drizzled with ganache. It might've been neat to do full layers of both, but first I want to get better at working with chocolate. Also, those cupcakes are the first time I've made true caramel, by boiling sugar, so if/when I do the cookies again they'll have real caramel.
Aszev wrote: 15 Apr 2020 15:11 Looks very tasty! Good use of quarantine time [:)]
sangi39 wrote:The most recent creation look goooooood. The only disappointing thing about them is... that I don't have them! [:P]
Haha! Glad you like the look of them. Someone needs to invent taste-o-vision.
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

Today I made a Savoy cake based on a recipe I saw on a French TV show. It's made by whipping egg whites and yolks and folding in flour and starch. I've been keeping an eye on this show in particular because it focuses on the region where Silvia is located. Looking into the history of Savoy cake, it might have been invented by someone from within the country's borders, so I consider this the first Silvish dish I've prepared. [:)]
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Dormouse559 wrote: 20 Jun 2020 09:15 Today I made a Savoy cake based on a recipe I saw on a French TV show. It's made by whipping egg whites and yolks and folding in flour and starch. I've been keeping an eye on this show in particular because it focuses on the region where Silvia is located. Looking into the history of Savoy cake, it might have been invented by someone from within the country's borders, so I consider this the first Silvish dish I've prepared. [:)]
Well, if you're not going to share the cake with us, at least share the recipe!

In Silvish!
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

elemtilas wrote: 20 Jun 2020 15:27 Well, if you're not going to share the cake with us, at least share the recipe!

In Silvish!
I tried uploading it to the cloud, but Dropbox says ".cakex" isn't a valid extension [>:|]

I'll give the recipe translation a try. The recipe as I linked to it is a little light on detail, and I made some modifications for a lockdown kitchen, so I might take those into account to.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Dormouse559 wrote: 21 Jun 2020 19:06
elemtilas wrote: 20 Jun 2020 15:27 Well, if you're not going to share the cake with us, at least share the recipe!

In Silvish!
I tried uploading it to the cloud, but Dropbox says ".cakex" isn't a valid extension [>:|]

I'll give the recipe translation a try. The recipe as I linked to it is a little light on detail, and I made some modifications for a lockdown kitchen, so I might take those into account to.
Hmm. Had the same problem with the ".cakex" extension thing. Anyway, the Silvish cake got made yesterday, for whose recipe many thanks! It's a little spongey for my taste, but the sugared shell was an interesting technique!

Probably a departure from all norms of Silvish cakery, I asked for lemon icing, because I like lemon icing.

Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

elemtilas wrote: 05 Jul 2020 15:53Hmm. Had the same problem with the ".cakex" extension thing. Anyway, the Silvish cake got made yesterday, for whose recipe many thanks! It's a little spongey for my taste, but the sugared shell was an interesting technique!
It looks like a proper cake, too; I can tell the texture is quite similar to mine. On the sponginess, yeah, making the cake is just a process of putting as much air in as possible. [:P]
elemtilas wrote:Probably a departure from all norms of Silvish cakery, I asked for lemon icing, because I like lemon icing.
Well, lucky for you, the Silvish aren't here to stop you. [>:)] From experience, I can say it goes well with berries and whipped cream; the TV show where I saw the recipe recommended jam.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Dormouse559 wrote: 06 Jul 2020 01:45
elemtilas wrote:Probably a departure from all norms of Silvish cakery, I asked for lemon icing, because I like lemon icing.
Well, lucky for you, the Silvish aren't here to stop you. [>:)] From experience, I can say it goes well with berries and whipped cream; the TV show where I saw the recipe recommended jam.
Or what? The Gendarmes d'Boulangerie will come and seize my mixer?? [}:D]
Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

http://www.frathwiki.com/Lilahaa

This is conworld-related, but it's for a conworld I wrote about during my childhood which has nothing in common with the fantasy world I write about today .... other than that I allow it to "borrow backwards" from my recent writing to get names, maps, and a few other background elements.

I may have posted this here before, but I couldnt find it, and I have updated the page recently, so Im posting it again. It's the story of two rival nations and their respective nationalized computer industries ... each nation had only one company, one operating system, one programming language, etc. It is set in the far future, but in a world whose computer technology is comparable to Earth around the year 2000 ... since I wrote most of this down a long time ago, I only wrote about what I knew from that time ... so there are no smartphones, touchscreens, etc.

The top half of the page is my story. The bottom half is my scratchpad, where I put ideas that I've remembered that may or may not fit canonically into the story.

I may post an illustrated version of this on my website, with command prompts, web browsers, etc .... because it would probably not require much effort on my part to do so. This would make it clearer which side is which, because I could more easily use colors, and the illustrations would make it clear as well. As it stands right now, I dont expect readers to remember that Lilahaa is the "good" side and Kulapila is the "bad" side because the names are both taken from the same language and neither is overtly meaningful to an English reader ... it's probably easier to remember Camia and Wamia, so I keep using both sets of names throughout the story. I have a CSS template that would work well for this type of website writeup but I haven't even begun drawing images etc.
Edit: hmm okay this *will* take a lot of effort, actually .... so no illustrations soon .... i'll let you guys know. This projects makes me think of TempleOS but my illustrations, if I ever do get there, will be a lot more graphically rich than TempleOS
Kavunupupis, šiŋuputata.
When I see you pointing at me, I know I'm in trouble. (Play)
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

I noticed Qwynegold already came upon your Lilahaa stuff and thought it was hilarious!

Anyway, this is a song an hour ago. It's based on the true story of one of my housemates.

"On Again, Off Again"
Music and lyrics by James Landau
(C) 2020

I know a lad, I'm going to call him Brad, a guy whose love life seems to have stalled
With Angela he'll break up, and the next day they'll make up, the answering machine, she's not called
Brad waits around till eight, but Angela's a fickle mate, and when she finally calls back, Brad's appalled
Thinks she's found the perfect match, and now she is attached to some new guy who's tall, Black, and bald

They're on again, off again
Hard again, soft again
Fast again, slow again
Stop again, go again
Low again, high again
Hi again, bye again
Love again, hate again
Make our love great again

Brad's sheltering in place, Angela longs for his embrace, but then she found this new guy instead
Brad devised a little plot, then drove over and got caught at the BART station while his hands were red
Trust was seriously breached, since this girl is out of reach, think of the break-ups and despair this has bred
Though now Brad's eyes are green, he could catch COVID-19, never would see her again, he'd be dead

Hard again, soft again
Fast again, slow again
Stop again, go again
Low again, high again
Hi again, bye again
Love again, hate again

When will this all, this all come to an end?
Angela, isn't Brad, isn't Brad your boyfriend?
Isn't there some hand, some hand Brad could extend?
If there were just thirty minutes together that you two could spend

Though Brad never was a loner, he's cautious 'bout the Rona, he cuts it off the fiftieth time
When there's a breathless virus, consequences are the direst, and visiting would be a sexcrime
It's like Winston and Julia, but this story is peculiar, they split up and they're back on a dime
Brad says they've quit for real, but I'm thinking, "What's his deal?", his deal is that Angela's love is sublime

Hard again, soft again
Fast again, slow again
Stop again, go again
Low again, high again
Hi again, bye again
Love again, hate again

On again, off again
Hard again, soft again
Fast again, slow again
Stop again, go again
Pet again, feel again
Kiss again, seal again
Lose no more, doubt no more
Pledge you'll fall out no more!
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
vampireshark
sinic
sinic

Post by vampireshark »

Apparently, I didn't share this, so this is something from a while back: more coins, though this time inspired by the clawgrip.
And I'll dance with you in Vienna,
I'll be wearing a river's disguise;
The hyacinth wild on my shoulder,
My mouth on the dew of your thigh...

Looking for subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Hey, everyone! I've recently uploaded some new YouTube videos of me singing songs I wrote. (I also included the written lyrics with each video.) Some of these are from my rock musical, and some not.

Green and White

Sept. 12

There's Somebody Else in the Room

Eden Republic

Check them all out and leave comments! And don't be afraid to give me some thumbs-up on the Like/Dislike bar!
♂♥♂♀

Backstroke_Italics
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Backstroke_Italics »

I recently finished the first draft of a novella, and I'm looking for beta readers. I am of course willing to pay for good feedback. If anyone would be interested in helping, please let me know.

EDIT: It has come to my attention that maybe I should give a modicum of information? I'm looking for someone to beta read a ~32k word psychological horror story. A woman arrives on a small island, where strange things start happening.
I did it. I made the world's worst book blog.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

To celebrate the end of the Trump presidency, I've uploaded some Trump and Bush parodies onto my YouTube channel. Check them out!
♂♥♂♀

Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

I took my first swing at making macarons. The cookies themselves are chocolate flavored. The filling was originally going to be a chocolate cream cheese frosting, but I ended up improvising and added homemade caramel to the filling as well. Though the cookies tasted good, they weren't as pretty or well baked as they needed to be; I've got some ideas for how to fix those issues on my next try.

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Dormouse559 wrote: 25 Feb 2021 02:11 I took my first swing at making macarons. The cookies themselves are chocolate flavored. The filling was originally going to be a chocolate cream cheese frosting, but I ended up improvising and added homemade caramel to the filling as well. Though the cookies tasted good, they weren't as pretty or well baked as they needed to be; I've got some ideas for how to fix those issues on my next try.

Friend! So long as they taste good!

I gather that they're somewhat difficult to make. How would you rate these as compared to a Standard Chocolate Chip Cooky?
LinguistCat
sinic
sinic

Post by LinguistCat »

Many of them look nice, especially for a first try. Although I wish you the best luck in achieving your goal. [:D]
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

elemtilas wrote: 25 Feb 2021 02:58I gather that they're somewhat difficult to make. How would you rate these as compared to a Standard Chocolate Chip Cooky?
Macarons are certainly more difficult than chocolate chip cookies! Macarons call for making a meringue, and chocolate chip cookies are pretty low maintenance where looks are concerned. I enjoy how the macarons have a distinct, crisp shell and a soft inside. In that vein, I painted a thin layer of chocolate on the flat side of each cookie to keep them from getting soggy, and the crack of that set chocolate enhanced the impression. The almond flour in the recipe adds a nuttiness that goes well with the chocolate.

LinguistCat wrote: 25 Feb 2021 03:19 Many of them look nice, especially for a first try. Although I wish you the best luck in achieving your goal. [:D]
Yay! Thank you. I arranged that picture with the nicest ones up front. Hopefully, I can get to a point where no arrangement is necessary [:)]
cedh
MVP
MVP

Post by cedh »

My band has released its first album!

It contains six instrumental pieces in a style somewhere between post-rock, post-metal, progressive, and alternative. Maybe some of you might like our music... (I definitely do, but I'm of course biased [;)] )
Torco
sinic
sinic

Post by Torco »

Heyy... I'm not super into progrock but this is banging! I wish my computer ran the new flight sim, or hell even KSP! it gives me that kind of vibe.