Other Creativity

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Re: Other Creativity

Post by elemtilas »

Torco wrote: 13 Mar 2021 20:50 Heyy... I'm not super into progrock but this is banging! I wish my computer ran the new flight sim, or hell even KSP! it gives me that kind of vibe.
Concur!
Vlürch
greek
greek

Post by Vlürch »

Sounds comfy! I can imagine floating in space listening to this, but not necessarily in a spaceship or anything but maybe just as well as an alien that can survive without oxygen and withstand the conditions, without caring about what kind of a planet it eventually ends up drifting to... for some reason I always think of stupid things like that when I listen to music and think of what it makes me think of. [:$] Anyway, the balance between "organic-sounding" and "mechanical-sounding" is just right if that makes sense, really clean all around without sounding robotic. Reminds me a bit of Keoma (especially their EP "Otvot's Orbit"), which is great. Even though it's instrumental, it doesn't feel like it's missing vocals like a lot of instrumental rock/metal often does imho.

What do you do in the band? Sorry for asking such a stupid question...

Since I never noticed this thread before, but it exists, so I guess it might be fine if I post some of my music as well?

Here's one song from my latest album, and here's another. The first is kinda proggy black metal with (slight) influences from Indian classical music and a few ambient parts with nature sounds. The second is mostly typical black/death metal. Instruments other than guitar, bass and electric harp (taishōgoto) are just soundfonts and VST's. Not linking the full album because I kinda regret the order of the songs lol.
cedh
MVP
MVP

Post by cedh »

Thanks a lot for this feedback, I'm glad you like it!
Vlürch wrote: 13 Mar 2021 21:55 What do you do in the band? Sorry for asking such a stupid question...
Well, there are only four instruments in the band, and two of them are of the same type [:D]
I play the guitar (on 90% of this album it's the one on the left ear).
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

I think these creatures would listen to music like Cedh's! I like it!

It reminded me of M83, a band I love. [<3] Cedh, were you inspired by any dream-pop?
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
mira
greek
greek

Post by mira »

I just spent 12 hours straight (though the night) making this

I've been finding a lot of the melodic parts of my writing seem to convey a sense of yearning (to me at least), so I made this one about friends and partners that live far away and the various feelings that come with it, like loneliness and desperation, but also hope and perseverance.

... I couldn't figure out a better way of wording that that didn't sound pretentious [:D] it's fun sounds for your ear holes (if you're into this kind of stuff). My style is like electronic-y dubstep-y stuff but with some flashy music theory mixed in to keep things interesting.
website | music | she/her | :gbr: native :deu: beginner
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

mira wrote: 25 Apr 2021 11:06 I just spent 12 hours straight (though the night) making this

I've been finding a lot of the melodic parts of my writing seem to convey a sense of yearning (to me at least), so I made this one about friends and partners that live far away and the various feelings that come with it, like loneliness and desperation, but also hope and perseverance.

... I couldn't figure out a better way of wording that that didn't sound pretentious [:D] it's fun sounds for your ear holes (if you're into this kind of stuff). My style is like electronic-y dubstep-y stuff but with some flashy music theory mixed in to keep things interesting.
Well, you certainly woke my cat up! :mrgreen:
vampireshark
sinic
sinic

Post by vampireshark »

I was bored.
And I'll dance with you in Vienna,
I'll be wearing a river's disguise;
The hyacinth wild on my shoulder,
My mouth on the dew of your thigh...

Looking for subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.
Torco
sinic
sinic

Post by Torco »

mira wrote: 25 Apr 2021 11:06 I just spent 12 hours straight (though the night) making this

whoooooa

I like the... dryness? timbrally, I mean, they all feel like tight, dry, rigid sounds: the rhythms help with that vibe too. in other ways it gives me a Lito Vitale kind of vibe (you know him? it sounds like you'd find some good inspiration in him, even though he makes quite different music). I find myself wanting some more mmm... textural variety? like, some more instruments going in and out of rotation: I get that electronic music is very repetitive, and that that's part of its charm, but taking some crunchy synth, or fattening the pads, or doing something arrangementwise between iteration and iteration helps keeping that fresh while at the same time not breaking that drony vibe that it's going for.

like that drop near 6:30. daaamn. [<3] [<3] [<3] [tick]
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

For the Fourth of July, a parody I wrote of "Firework"!

James Landau -- Piece of Work
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
vampireshark
sinic
sinic

Post by vampireshark »

I still like money.
Spoiler:
Another part of my Telemor Franc redesign/revitalization project.

Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

vampireshark wrote: 06 Jul 2021 23:17 I still like money.
May be the root of all evil, but it is convenient to have!

That handwritten text on the reverse side of the two bills you've posted, what does it say?
vampireshark
sinic
sinic

Post by vampireshark »

Dormouse559 wrote: 06 Jul 2021 23:57
vampireshark wrote: 06 Jul 2021 23:17 I still like money.
May be the root of all evil, but it is convenient to have!

That handwritten text on the reverse side of the two bills you've posted, what does it say?
Money is, however, pretty, which is the most important bit.

Anyways, the texts:
5 Franc:
Sa hirțã și s’amaru di c̦aca c̦ivilizațiya le locatãt dã lèii arti și lèir musicu.
The heart and soul of every civilization is found in its arts and its music.

10 Franc:
Nostre aprenom atanteu d’un c̦ivilizațiya cã vom sa traitã èt lèii peuplai si marveu averti donnuta.
We learn much about a society when we see how it treats its most vulnerable people.

(I'll try to gloss later.)

vampireshark
sinic
sinic

Post by vampireshark »

More things of a somewhat money-related nature.

vampireshark
sinic
sinic

Post by vampireshark »

More banknote redesigning, because reasons.

WeepingElf
greek
greek

Post by WeepingElf »

Beautiful! But as with the 5F and 10F notes, the style of the person on it is too modern.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

WeepingElf wrote: 26 Jul 2021 19:01 Beautiful! But as with the 5F and 10F notes, the style of the person on it is too modern.
I like the modern styles of the people on the notes.
It does make me wonder who they are.
This is a Republic, so presumably they aren’t royalty. (I suppose they could still be nobility, though, provided they’d also occupied some elective office.)

Does Telemor have a rule that the portraits on banknotes can’t change more often than every 20 years?

Or any rule saying you have to have been dead at least 25 years before your picture can go on currency?

Or are the intervals shorter? Or the rules different in other details?
Or are there just no such rules?
WeepingElf
greek
greek

Post by WeepingElf »

The reason why I think their style is too modern is the life dates given on the banknotes, which show that these people died well before the year 2000, and thus would never have looked like Millennials as they do on the notes. But then, in the alternative world where Telèmor exists, fashions may have been decades ahead of us.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

I see what you mean, @WeepingElf; and apparently you see what I mean, too.
I’d like to read what the creator of Telemor says about it; but I can be patient!
vampireshark
sinic
sinic

Post by vampireshark »

WeepingElf wrote:Beautiful! But as with the 5F and 10F notes, the style of the person on it is too modern.
Thanks!

Though, perhaps unsurprisingly, I tried to avoid that... more below, though.
WeepingElf wrote: 27 Jul 2021 18:26 The reason why I think their style is too modern is the life dates given on the banknotes, which show that these people died well before the year 2000, and thus would never have looked like Millennials as they do on the notes. But then, in the alternative world where Telèmor exists, fashions may have been decades ahead of us.
While true, the photo generator I have available and used for the TEF 5 and 10 notes is perhaps a bit restricted with the clothing and appearance options, though I specifically went for some more "neutral" hairstyles and appearances that tried not to scream "too modern"... but, well, you're talking to someone who was born in 1990, so my reference point is perhaps a bit too recent.

Though, to be honest, I just got the pictures first and came up with the people later; with my lack of artistic skill in drawing, I just took what I could make do with.

Though that got me to thinking from more of a historic point of view. In Telemor at least, a more "millennial" fashion went into vogue earlier than in western Europe/the US: the equivalent of a hippie movement peaked quite early, mostly in the 40's and 50's as a counterculture response within the context of the suffrage movement in the 30's and 40's and some of the unrest happening in neighboring Ilia (long story). You also didn't have the "doughboys" and soldier aesthetics that were super-common for men in the West in the aftermath of the World Wars, particularly given that the last major war in Telemor was in the late 1800's, and the skirmishes with Ilia in 1959 were quite minor, definitely not requiring any mass mobilization of military. That said, with Telemor being more republican (it's a federation), the people who appear are more poets, writers, artists, and scientists rather than political figures (which gives a bit more room for, well, more "diverse" appearances than politicians would be).

Perhaps unsurprisingly, my inspiration in this regard was heavily drawn from the final series of Deutsche Mark notes (which might also be reflected in the banknote appearances), with some additional inspiration from Belgian francs, French francs, Croatian kuna, Swedish kronor, and Romanian lei. The choices for people were based on the following:
(1) Alternating men and women on banknotes, choosing ones with contributions to arts and science;
(2) At least 25 years since their passing.

It's normally rather gauche in most republican countries to have living people on banknotes/currency, and note that even only monarchs/heads of state get the honor in the countries where living people do show up. (One of the few exceptions I know was Sir Edmund Hillary, who appeared on the New Zealand $5 note from 1992 onwards.)

Rodèric Varella: Poet and writer, known in part as one of the founders of the modern form of Telemor poetry. The picture would've been taken closer to the 1950's or 60's, when he was more at the height of his career.

Safia Mareimã Telèș: Activist for female suffrage and for minorities (universal suffrage was only achieved in all regions in 1949).

Padressa Ionesco: Painter, who was extremely known for some of her landscape paintings particularly in the lesser-explored regions.

vampireshark
sinic
sinic

Post by vampireshark »

Also, in less creative (though maybe still pretty) things, this just went online.