What kind of conlanger are you?

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Keenir
mayan
mayan

Re: What kind of conlanger are you?

Post by Keenir »

ol bofosh wrote:My general conlang quandry is that when I get involved in making my conlangs, not a lot else gets done.
same here...that's why, when I started with Aramaspean, I tried to tie it in with the fanfiction I was working on (my first and only Big Bang entry)
Khemehekis wrote:Scrappers
They learn a little something from the experience of each conlang they create.
I'm a scrapper-loyalist...I keep shifting from one model language to another, but I do so while sticking with a design principle or background idea. Before that, I was a scrapper because it was the best way to learn as much of linguistics as possible.
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

I am a Filler with an extremely Loyalist inclination.

Thus:

Loyal Filler!
:mrgreen:
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

seems that I'm "scrapper+filler", I make conlangs mainly for my conworld(s).

however, I also have some conlangs that I have worked for a long time.
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
Valosken
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Valosken »

Former loyalist-Scrapper now Loyalist. The scrappings have all been in the name of creating the "perfect" Conlang. I'm very satisfied with the language's current form, and while it could still change, it won't change much at all.
First, I learned English.
Dann lernte ich Deutsch.
Y ahora aprendo Español.
Illuminatus
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Illuminatus »

Until now I've been a scrapper mainly, but I'm gonna try to create my conlangs more seriously and to not stop just when I start to not fully like the phonology/case system/... I won't have the determination to be a true loyalist just working on one lang, but I want ~3-4 languages to be well and far created and a fistful of other languages with the basic vocab and a mostly finished grammar.
:deu:
Squall
greek
greek

Post by Squall »

I am the three things. [:D]

I have a language that is 8 years old and is not 100% finished. The grammar is 44 pages. (Loyalist)

I have 4 languages based on natural languages. They do not need deep development, because I can copy many things from the original language. (Scrapper)

I have some conworlds and they have fictitious languages with few details. Most times the language is only a name. (Filler)
English is not my native language. Sorry for any mistakes or lack of knowledge when I discuss this language.
:bra: :mrgreen: | :uk: [:D] | :esp: [:)] | :epo: [:|] | :lat: [:S] | :jpn: [:'(]
Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

I'm a loyalist. I have two major conlangs, Poswa and Pabappa, but they are so closely tied to each other that everything i do with one affects the other. And they have very similar design goals. I have long tables of diachronics for dozens of other languages, but they are all shells consisting mostly of proper names and bits of grammar. I couldn't make a complex sentence in any of them.

I've been working on Pabappa since 2004 , or since 1993 if I include the snippets of Namma's language I used and then moved on from. This language had the same feel as Pabappa but no defined grammar.

Poswa was originally Pabappa's parent language , but I remade it as a more conservative sister language that also achieved many goals that Pabappa could not, such as having a very complicated and highly irregular grammar.
Kavunupupis, šiŋuputata.
When I see you pointing at me, I know I'm in trouble. (Play)
WeepingElf
greek
greek

Post by WeepingElf »

I am a loyalist with filler leanings: I have one conlang, Old Albic, which is my main project on which I have been working for about 17 years now; yet, I fancy it to have a number of dialects, relatives and descendants, making up a family called Hesperic. And on top of that, I have some ideas for unrelated languages, too, all existing in the framework of the League of Lost Languages. I also have digressed into contributing three languages to Akana. But my main project is still Old Albic.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien »

Loyalist who thinks about other conlangs, but will probably never create them. Lihmelinyan über alles [:D]
Reyzadren
greek
greek

Post by Reyzadren »

Neither category.

Could be a loyalist with 1 main conlang after decades. However, my conlang does not have a large recorded vocabulary, its grammar can be summarised into 2 pages and it has no almost no intricacies, quirks or exceptions. Furthermore, it doesn't receive much acclaim.

Could be a filler as I dabble more with a conworld and fill it up with briefly described people and languages, but this activity does not extend to concepts such as language families or phyla.
Image conlang summary | Image griushkoent thread
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

Filler, with scrapper-like tendencies- I tend to focus on one language or family at a time, and then move on to another when I get Conlanger's Block, with the intention of returning if inspiration hits me.
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
HJH
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by HJH »

I used to be a bit of a scrapper, but with my newest conlang I think I'm becoming a bit more of a loyalist. My aim has always been to have something to stick with and use personally.
LinguoFranco
greek
greek

Post by LinguoFranco »

I’m a mix of a loyalist and a scrapper. I usually have one main conlang that I consistently work on, but end up scrapping all of my minor projects.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

I've added five new conlanger types!

Loyalists have one conlang, and probably have only ever made one conlang. They've worked on it for years on end, possibly 10 or 15 years. Maybe they started this language in their adolescence and are in their fifties now. The language becomes elaborate, with a large vocabulary and 100-page grammar, and is as finely polished as a crystal skull with the intricacies, quirks and exceptions to rules that have been given time to develop. As a result of sticking with this one conlang, they usually produce a masterpiece that wins the acclaim of other conlangers, and sometimes even non-conlangers.

Scrappers are the serial monogamists of the conlanging world. They'll get a seed of a conlang in their head, develop a preliminary phonology, toy with the aspects of grammar that interest them, create a few words, (possibly) dabble in giving it a conculture, decide they don't like it, scrap it, and start a new one. Lather, rinse, repeat. One of their conlangs may have only 33 words of vocabulary as of the time it gets dumped, and their vocabularies will certainly never reach the size of Itlani or Talossan. Often they do not have enough grammar to say "The girl ran smoothly past the gate", or possibly even to say "I love you" as of the time they are scrapped. Scrappers might create 50 or even 200 conlangs in their lifetimes, but will never produce anything approaching what a loyalist would create in its scale and depth. They learn a little something from the experience of each conlang they create.

Fillers take a conworld and fill it up with peoples who each speak their own language. This can be a country, a planet, a solar system or even a whole galaxy. If scrappers are the serial monogamists and loyalists are the faithful lovers of conlanging, fillers are the polyamorists. They have many conlangs, often forming conlang phyla with the scale and scope of Indo-European, Afro-Asiatic or Austronesian, with diversity in phonology, syntax and morphology across the different branches and phyla. Since each language has a well-defined role -- being the official tongue of a people in their conworld -- fillers keep all their languages. Some can be more developed than others, even though a filler may create a Swadesh-type list for all of his or her languages, but even the less developed ones will never be deprecated. The final goal of fillers is to finish a world replete with peoples and languages.

Perfectionists have that conlang they've aimed for again and again. They are the gods who create the world, see the world is flawed, destroy it, and try again. A perfectionist's goal is to create the perfect language. Like a scrapper, a perfectionist keeps trying new things, but each sketch is very similar to the previous one, which in turn was similar to the one that came before that one. Each incarnation gets tried under a different (sometimes slightly different) name, but essentially there is one persistent vision in the conlanger's heart. [Thanks to Valosken for suggesting this one.]

Circumnavigators have eyes that survey the whole world when it comes to conlanging. They've created a wide variety of conlangs that they've kept, but not all for the same conworld. Circumnavigators have created fantasy conlangs, alien conlangs, conlangs for Bronze Age peoples, conlangs for futuristic humans, altlangs, micronational languages, personal languages, and jokelangs. They've likely experimented with engelangs (perhaps both a logical language and a philosophical one) and auxlangs (Euroclones and worldlangs) as well as artlangs. They've created at least one highly original experimental conlang. Circumnavigators have often authored visionary and inspiring material about the art of conlanging and the whole philosophy therebehind.

Freelancers will create conlangs for whomever needs them. They might create a conlang or two for an online collaborative world, then help some friends running an RPG campaign create another conlang, and might even be tapped by movie or TV producers to create a conlang for their fictional world. As they conlang for others, freelancers' conlangs are for different conworlds/projects, yet each have a well-defined purpose, and whether they get scrapped depends on what the people they help eventually choose to do with these conlangs. Freelancers typically have a wide array of glossopoetic tools under their belts, painting from catholic phonological, morphological, syntactic, lexical, and maybe even orthographic and pragmatic palettes.

Filmstabbers are the married lovers who unfaithfully go off and see a tempting mistress as the need arises. Like stabbing a few holes in the film over an entrée to let the heat escape while microwaving it, filmstabbers keep to their main conlang (or conworld full of related conlangs) while dabbling with other projects just to release the steam. Want to stick with Butzmazian but can't get that polysynthetic click sketch out of your head? Simple. Create a polysynthetic click language called !Xan/aaxhaapatetl, flesh it out over the next few days, scrap !Xan/aaxhaapatetl two weeks later, and keep Butzmazian all along instead of throwing it out with the bathwater.

Replacers have a bit of filler in them, and a bit of scrapper. Each of their languages has a well-defined role within a conworld, and their eyes are fixed to the same star all the while, but the conlang spoken by a particular conpeople -- or many particular conpeoples -- keeps getting replaced. Similar to TNT'ing an unsalvageable Wikipedia article, a replacer razes the language of the Empire of Samphoria and, after its destruction, erects an entirely new Samphorian language. Unlike with a perfectionist, only the name is the same.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

♂♥♂♀

Reyzadren
greek
greek

Post by Reyzadren »

Reyzadren wrote: 17 Aug 2018 23:18 Neither category.

Could be a loyalist with 1 main conlang after decades. However, my conlang does not have a large recorded vocabulary, its grammar can be summarised into 2 pages and it has no almost no intricacies, quirks or exceptions. Furthermore, it doesn't receive much acclaim.

Could be a filler as I dabble more with a conworld and fill it up with briefly described people and languages, but this activity does not extend to concepts such as language families or phyla.
Still unable to describe me in any way. My answer remains:

Neither category.
Image conlang summary | Image griushkoent thread
Miar
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Miar »

Someone asked if I was filler, but I'd say I'm perfectionist.

Yes I have other projects in development (and concepts for a dozen more cultures and langs), but my main, and for a long time only, project is entering its third year and seventh overhaul because it doesn't feel good enough.
mira
greek
greek

Post by mira »

Closest match is scrapper, but I don't really "scrap" languages. I start plenty of things, work on them for a while, then for any of a variety of reasons don't touch it for a while - either I'm occupied with other things or I've hit a block or something else entirely, then I either have another idea and start playing with that, or I've left it for long enough that it's kind of lost to time. I think I'm somewhat drawn more to playing in theoreticals and distinct "interesting" (to me at least) ideas, but I'm much better at coming up with such ideas than I am at combining them, so I end up with all these things I've started, but rarely manage to get to a point where I'm translating sentences.

First word I could think of that sort of fits the description might be "Spawner"?
website | music | she/her | :gbr: native :deu: beginner
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

OTʜᴇB wrote: 25 Feb 2020 11:54 First word I could think of that sort of fits the description might be "Spawner"?
Spawner. I like the word. Kind of like that Maxis game Spawn.
♂♥♂♀

Parlox
greek
greek

Post by Parlox »

Now that I've gotten back into conlanging, after like two years, I'm pretty much a filmstabber leaning into loyalism. Gondolan shall forever be my pride and joy..

Now Tsadonian and Celos, who knows if they'll be abandoned? I sure don't, lol.
:con: Gândölansch (Gondolan)Feongkrwe (Feongrkean)Tamhanddön (Tamanthon)Θανηλοξαμαψⱶ (Thanelotic)Yônjcerth (Yaponese)Ba̧supan (Basupan)Mùthoķán (Mothaucian) :con: