You

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
MrKrov
banned

Re: You

Post by MrKrov »

Etherman wrote:
MrKrov wrote:All they're doing is being acknowledged. Give 'em a new name and don't recognize 'em: you'll still have what is and does effectively the same thing. So your statement is meaningless.
Corporations get special legal priveledges that the rest of us don't.
Now explain how that defines them into existence, which is what you said. Start your own.
SLiV
sinic
sinic

Post by SLiV »

Crumbs wrote:SLiV, I'm almost 100% sure that that's not what hypocritical means. I would be being hypocritical about my birthdate if I was complaining about nobody else saying theirs, and I didn't as well. Hypocriticism implies that I am doing what I am telling other people not to do, which is why it doesn't make sense in this context. You could say that you think I am being cryptic, or that it's strange not to say when I was born, etcetera, but no hypocritical.
Hypocrisy is also saying one thing, but doing something else. I found it hypocritical that although people are not afraid to share the most obscure, private things, telling ones birthday suddenly seemed a hot topic. Whether hypocritical is the right word or not, I certainly didn't mean you were being cryptic, because my point is, in general, you (i.e. internet-users) are willing to share everything.

But I guess I confused you (i.e. the ones that didn't tell their birthdays) with you (i.e. internet-users).
:nld: native | :eng: fluent | :deu: :fra: :esp: reading | :lat: :grc: translating
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

Etherman wrote:I don't see how a shareholder-ruled structure inherently puts power in the hands of people, aside from their power in making business decisions.
The power shouldn't be in "the hands of the people" either.
The biggest problem as I see it is too much power in the hands of politicians who then make special laws that benefit their corporate sponsers. This gives them unfair market advantages which gives them more money to spend on campaign contributions, which makes them more money.
Duh.
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter
fiziwig
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by fiziwig »

Alias(es): None. I'm Fiziwig everywhere I go on the Internet.
Date of birth: Toward the end of World War II
Interests: Linguistics, music, art, SciFi, movies
Favorite music: I like BOTH kinds of music, Classical AND Jazz.
Political ideology: I favor hunter-gatherer village chieftain rule.
Conlangs: ai Basata, Tazhu, Soaloa, Pop, Txtana (aka, 30-day conlang), Piktok, etc., etc.
Other hobbies: Composing, painting/drawing, sculpture, gardening.
Where do you see yourself in ten years? Pushing up daisies. (Actually, since I believe in reincarnation, by then I could be almost anywhere. Or almost anyone. :-D )

--gary
Etherman
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Etherman »

MrKrov wrote:
Etherman wrote:
MrKrov wrote:All they're doing is being acknowledged. Give 'em a new name and don't recognize 'em: you'll still have what is and does effectively the same thing. So your statement is meaningless.
Corporations get special legal priveledges that the rest of us don't.
Now explain how that defines them into existence, which is what you said. Start your own.
Because before getting special legal priveledges businesses were not entities that got special legal priveledges. Now that they have these special priveledges they are a different entity that didn't exist before. Before the creation of corporate law, corporations as they exist now did not exist.
MrKrov
banned

Post by MrKrov »

You want to play equivocation. Uh-uh.
And still no. Getting any privilege doesn't poof them into existence. I reject that inanity wholesale.
conlangconstructor
sinic
sinic

Post by conlangconstructor »

fiziwig wrote:Alias(es): None. I'm Fiziwig everywhere I go on the Internet.
Date of birth: Toward the end of World War II
Interests: Linguistics, music, art, SciFi, movies
Favorite music: I like BOTH kinds of music, Classical AND Jazz.
Political ideology: I favor hunter-gatherer village chieftain rule.
Conlangs: ai Basata, Tazhu, Soaloa, Pop, Txtana (aka, 30-day conlang), Piktok, etc., etc.
Other hobbies: Composing, painting/drawing, sculpture, gardening.
Where do you see yourself in ten years? Pushing up daisies. (Actually, since I believe in reincarnation, by then I could be almost anywhere. Or almost anyone. :-D )

--gary
That's cool! I had no idea that we had a retired video game programmer in our midst! How long did you work as one?
Trailsend

Post by Trailsend »

MrKrov wrote:And still no. Getting any privilege doesn't poof them into existence. I reject that inanity wholesale.
Why not?

Let set S be the set of objects with a particular collection of properties P. Suppose that initially, all objects in S have exclusively those properties in P.

Now, alter some number of elements in S such that they each have the properties P, plus several additional properties Q.

There now exists a nontrivial subset of S, namely the set of objects with properties P and Q, which did not exist* prior to the addition of properties to certain elements of S.

* I suppose if you wanted you could claim that the subset existed, it was just empty; but I would respond that since the set of objects x such that x is a heffalump is empty, I feel justified in claiming that heffalumps do not exist.
任何事物的发展都是物极必反,否极泰来。
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Alias(es): sangi39 and wikim3
Location: Somewhere in England but Yorkshire shall forever be my home :)
Date of birth: 2nd August 1989
Occupation: Currently unemployed but I'm trying to get into an archaeology or museum related (got a 2:1 (hons) BA in archaeology)
Interests: Conlanging (so linguistics as well), archaeology (and history to a lesser extent), physics and whatever else I happen to find interesting at the time :)
Favorite music: Simply put, Metal
Political ideology: Depends really since I always find it hard to place myself within the apparent boundaries of a given ideological standpoint (in the sense that I agree with some ideas from some ideologies but other ideas from other ideologies which, IME, appears to be the more common situation). However, in the last election I did in fact vote LibDem (feeling mildly disappointed about that right now but we're still only 6-7 months in :) )
Conlangs: The Dengas languages
Other hobbies: Other than listening to music, watching TV, reading and conlanging, not much else really.
Where do you see yourself in ten years? Hopefully working as an archaeologist or in a museum :)
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
fiziwig
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by fiziwig »

conlangconstructor wrote:...

That's cool! I had no idea that we had a retired video game programmer in our midst! How long did you work as one?
See my web page for details: http://fiziwig.com/ :-D
rickardspaghetti
roman
roman

Post by rickardspaghetti »

Alias: rickardspaghetti
Date of birth: 20 Sep 1990
Interests: Conlanging, games, anime, etc...
Favorite music: Metal
Political ideology: None. I haven't decided on one yet.
Conlangs: Haraddomese and Yāziže.
Other hobbies: Procrastinating
Where do you see yourself in ten years? In 2021 of course! Duh!
そうだ。死んでいる人も勃起することが出来る。
俺はその証だ。
Spoiler:
Ǧ Š Ȟ Ž Č

ǧ š ŋ ȟ ž č
:swe: [:D] :vgtl: [:D] :eng: [:)] :ita: [:|] :lkt: [:'(]
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Alias(es): eldin raigmore

Date of birth: 1952

Gender: You mean "sex"? Male. For "gender" I'd put "animate" and "roundish squishy".

Edit: Most certainly not a professional linguist.
Interests: Science-Fiction, other speculative fiction such as fantasy, steampunk, music of many kinds including rock-and-roll, general science, mathematics, computer programming, molecular genetics, linguistics.

Favorite music: I like all kinds, but for many kinds I like only the best. E.g. I hated early disco but liked about a quarter of the later stuff; I hated early rap and hip-hop but have started liking a lot of the later stuff (except gangsta rap -- being a father and seeing about the murderers has put me permanently off that stuff); I dislike most country but like the best of it. But classical music and rock-and-roll -- especially acid rock and heavy-metal rock -- remain my favorites, I suppose.

Political ideology: I consider myself an economic conservative, a political conservative, and a social conservative. I think gays should be allowed to marry because I think that's the conservative position. I think abortion should be legal because I think that's the conservative position. I'm extremely disappointed in Dick Armey because of principles he taught me when he was my economics professor, and I think the Tea Party are his dupes, all for conservative reasons. Nobody I know who agrees with my conclusions likes my reasons for thinking as I do. Nobody I know who sympathizes with my basic premises likes the conclusions I've drawn from them. I guess you could say I'm conservative in principles, but I draw my conclusions like an Aspie; my conclusions are strictly related logically to my principles, rather than being an echo of some other interest-group's inconsistent grab-bag of political notions. IMO that's one of the distinct advantages of Asperger's syndrome; my politics actually make sense.

Religion: Agnostic leaning toward atheist; Empiricist; Humanist; Rationalist; Secularist; Skeptic. Was a Methodist for 30 years; a closet agnostic for the next 19; and a more-outspoken atheist for the last ten.

Conlangs: Adpihi and Arpien

Other hobbies: I belong to science-fiction fandom groups and book-clubs. I go to movies. I listen to music. I hang out with my daughter. I like to hang out with my dog. I have taken up target-shooting again. I used to play chess (poorly), and I'd like to again. I always really liked sex, but I don't know how to get back into that. I used to go to comedy clubs. I used to sing in a choir. I used to play in a band. I'd love to do all those things again.

Where do you see yourself in ten years? I hope I'll be a happy father, maybe a happy grandfather.
Last edited by eldin raigmore on 04 Jun 2013 18:21, edited 2 times in total.
Crumbs
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Crumbs »

eldin raigmore wrote:Where do you see yourself in ten years? I hope I'll be a happy father, maybe a happy grandfather.
So what, you're an unhappy father now, or you expect your kids to have children before they're ten?
Chelsara
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Chelsara »

Alias(es): Various, it really depends. Many have something to do with my real name or with names I like.
Date of birth: December 28
Interests: Weather, conlanging, psychology, music, time, art
Favorite music: I really like U2 right now
Political ideology: Conservative, with a few liberal viewpoints
Conlangs: (Strikethrough = scrapped, italics = retired, underline = shelved, bold = active) CUE, Sendore, Lorten, J'Linguonar Avan, Old T'Arlan
Other hobbies: I sing, forecast the weather, and surf the internet.
Where do you see yourself in ten years? I'll be out of college by then, so I'll be working. Maybe starting a family. Who knows?
Wanderer
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Wanderer »

Alias(es): Usually my real name, sometimes something random without much meaning or thought put into it, like 'wanderer'.
Date of birth: 10th of May 1992
Interests: Linguistics, Music
Favorite music: I'll just name a few artists/bands: Bach, Händel, Scarlatti, Rachmaninov, Prokofiev, Charles Mingus, Art Tatum, Soil & Pimp Sessions, Son House, Blind Willie Johnson, Rev Gary Davis, David Eugene Edwards (That is; 16 Horsepower and Woven Hand), Johnny Cash.....
Political ideology: Christian democracy/conservative, but also more left on some issues than the conservative/Christian political parties tend to be. Actually, it's probably better to say I'm left, but also against abortion, euthanasia etc.
Conlangs: I have no currently active conlangs. (I mainly dwell on this board because it is intresting to read about the linguistic issues that are discussed.)
Other hobbies: I play the piano.
Where do you see yourself in ten years? eh.... I wouldn't know.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Crumbs wrote:
eldin raigmore wrote:Where do you see yourself in ten years? I hope I'll be a happy father, maybe a happy grandfather.
So what, you're an unhappy father now, or you expect your kids to have children before they're ten?
No, I'm happy now, and I hope and expect I still will be in ten years. My kid is 15 now; in ten years she'll be 25 and may be a mother.
Czwartek
sinic
sinic

Post by Czwartek »

eldin raigmore wrote:
Crumbs wrote:
No, I'm happy now, and I hope and expect I still will be in ten years. My kid is 15 now; in ten years she'll be 25 and may be a mother.
So you hope that you'll still be a happy father? ;-)
Ear of the Sphinx
mayan
mayan

Post by Ear of the Sphinx »

Czwartek wrote:So you hope that you'll still be a happy father? ;-)
What's wrong, Czwartek? He wrote that he will (still) be a happy father, not that he will become a happy father.
Thrice the brinded cat hath mew'd.
Czwartek
sinic
sinic

Post by Czwartek »

Milyamd wrote:What's wrong, Czwartek? He wrote that he will (still) be a happy father, not that he will become a happy father.
It's just that saying I hope (future-tense clause) usually implies that the clause hoped for isn't currently true. Only by inserting the word 'still' does it mean that the clause is true at present and will continue being true until the time-frame referred to. If I said I hope it will rain tomorrow, does that mean, or even imply, that it's raining now? But if I said I hope it will still be raining tomorrow, only then does it mean that it's actually raining at the present.
Ear of the Sphinx
mayan
mayan

Post by Ear of the Sphinx »

If I said I hope it will rain tomorrow, does that mean, or even imply, that it's raining now?
It doesn't imply either it's true or false.
Thrice the brinded cat hath mew'd.