Conlanger stereotype poll

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Re: Conlanger stereotype poll

Post by elemtilas »

Thrice Xandvii wrote: 19 Feb 2021 11:40 Just found this quiz, figured, why the heck not?

1. Gender: Male (cisgendered)
2. Sexual orientation: Homosexual
3. Handedness: Right
4. Nationality: American, born and raised in Wisconsin, current Michigan citizen
5. Ethnicity you primarily identify with: German/Lithuanian
6. Neurotype: Mostly neurotypical, with some ASD spectrum leaning traits and a bit of anxiety that usually shows itself as anger over other more common presentations
7. Health conditions and physical disabilities: None that I'm aware of
8. Do you wear glasses?: I do
9. Facial hair: Yes (chin beard or moustache-less goatee, whichever descriptor you prefer)
10. Body type: Slightly over-weight
11. Subculture: Nerdy geek who used to be a wannabe skater and enjoys hard rock/metal music (so you be the judge on what that means)
12. Species/breed of pets: Dog, cat, bird, fish and a snake (I do consider myself to be mostly a dog person though)
13. Religion: Agnostic, former atheist who was entirely too sure of himself
Finally! A gay, bearded, Lithuanian language inventor!

Except that you're a righty...
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

elemtilas wrote: 19 Feb 2021 14:51 Finally! A gay, bearded, Lithuanian language inventor!

To be honest, I've seen very few Lithuanian or Lithuanian-American conlangers on the Internet. I know that's how the tradition goes, but . . .

In fact, I was wondering if Thrice XandVII would show up at this poll, since I remembered him discussing his being part Lithuanian in a previous discussion, years ago, wherein we were talking about the fabled conlanger stereotype. Welcome back, Thrice. [B)]

I can't think of anyone else with a Lithuanian ancestry offhand in the conlanging community.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Khemehekis wrote: 09 Mar 2021 16:47
elemtilas wrote: 19 Feb 2021 14:51 Finally! A gay, bearded, Lithuanian language inventor!

To be honest, I've seen very few Lithuanian or Lithuanian-American conlangers on the Internet. I know that's how the tradition goes, but . . .
Indeed. While it was álways an in-joke, it was actually based, as all good humour is either in a dairy plant, or in the truth. In the case of the GBLLHLI, the early Conlang-L, back when it was at diku.dk (very early 1990s), did apparently sport a rather sizeable number of Lithuanians. Possibly the entire country.
In fact, I was wondering if Thrice XandVII would show up at this poll, since I remembered him discussing his being part Lithuanian in a previous discussion, years ago, wherein we were talking about the fabled conlanger stereotype. Welcome back, Thrice. [B)]

I can't think of anyone else with a Lithuanian ancestry offhand in the conlanging community.
Nor I. Unless it was unwittingly during my first foray into Conlang-L. One of the oldest references available is Christophe's remark from 2002, and I'd heard of it before then I'm sure, as the joke was already well established.

And just for the record, I am not, as far as I know, Lithuanian.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

elemtilas wrote: 10 Mar 2021 05:07
Khemehekis wrote: 09 Mar 2021 16:47

Indeed. While it was álways an in-joke, it was actually based, as all good humour is either in a dairy plant, or in the truth. In the case of the GBLLHLI, the early Conlang-L, back when it was at diku.dk (very early 1990s), did apparently sport a rather sizeable number of Lithuanians. Possibly the entire country.

Nor I. Unless it was unwitt-ngly during my first foray into Conlang-L. One of the oldest references available is Christophe's remark from 2002, and I'd heard of it before then I'm sure, as the joke was already well established.

And just for the record, I am not, as far as I know, Lithuanian.
Huh. I don't remember any of those -aitis, -vicius, or -onas names from my time there. I guess that was before my time.

Of course, the CBB used to be full of Swedes. Then Prinsessa quit and DrGeoffStandish got banned and most of the other Swedes just started posting less and less frequently. Of course, Aevas still loves his board, so clearly they haven't all left!
♂♥♂♀

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Khemehekis wrote: 12 Mar 2021 05:03 Huh. I don't remember any of those -aitis, -vicius, or -onas names from my time there. I guess that was before my time.
What timeframe were you on Conlang-L? Or better, what name, if not Khemehekis?

O mures o tempura!

If you don't recall the Lithuanians, and I don't recall the Lithuanians, it may well be no wonder if generations of glossopoets yet unconstructed should consign them to the mad mythology of their elders.
Of course, the CBB used to be full of Swedes. Then Prinsessa quit and DrGeoffStandish got banned and most of the other Swedes just started posting less and less frequently. Of course, Aevas still loves his board, so clearly they haven't all left!
For that we can be thankful!

[<3] [<3] [<3]
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

elemtilas wrote: 12 Mar 2021 14:19
Khemehekis wrote: 12 Mar 2021 05:03 Huh. I don't remember any of those -aitis, -vicius, or -onas names from my time there. I guess that was before my time.
I posted there between 2002 and 2003. I used my real name, James Landau.
If you don't recall the Lithuanians, and I don't recall the Lithuanians, it may well be no wonder if generations of glossopoets yet unconstructed should consign them to the mad mythology of their elders.
That makes sense. Maybe now it's the Germans who are the most overrepresented among conlangers?
♂♥♂♀

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Khemehekis wrote: 12 Mar 2021 16:11
elemtilas wrote: 12 Mar 2021 14:19
I posted there between 2002 and 2003. I used my real name, James Landau.
Curious.

Interestingly, you've been discussed quite a bit recently! Several times over the last few years for your KCT!

That makes sense. Maybe now it's the Germans who are the most overrepresented among conlangers?
[/quote]

Ponderendum.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

elemtilas wrote: 12 Mar 2021 17:38 Curious.

Interest-ngly, you've been discussed quite a bit recently! Several times over the last few years for your KCT!
I went to the website for CONLANG-L and searched for "Khemehekis" and "Landau". And "scrapper". I pulled up a few posts I hadn't seen before thereon.
♂♥♂♀

prettydragoon
sinic
sinic

Post by prettydragoon »

So I did this thing. Feel free to fold, spindle, mutilate, ignore, discard, etc. as appropriate. For entertainment purposes only.

1. Gender: Fire and dangerous things.
2. Sexual orientation: Bisexual.
3. Handedness: Right.
4. Nationality: European. Finland.
5. Ethnicity you primarily identify with: Finnish.
6. Neurotype: Neurotypical.
7. Health conditions and physical disabilities: None worth mentioning.
8. Do you wear glasses? No, never. Well... hardly ever. (I've already seen everything so I don't need to.)
9. Facial hair: I've got tweezers and I'm not afraid to use them!
10. Body type: I could stand to lose a couple kilos. I won't, but I should.
11. Subculture: Yes? No? Mu?
12. Species/breed of pets: No pets of my own, but some of my favourite relatives are dogs. Unless you count pet peeves, then I'm a Crazy Peeve Lady.
13. Religion: Lutheran.
♀♥♀
What is this, how you say, Rireinutire?
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

elemtilas wrote: 19 Feb 2021 14:51
Thrice Xandvii wrote: 19 Feb 2021 11:40 [...]

Well, it would certainly appear that a most interesting conversation was spawned by my rather innocuous and late-to-the-party response! Can't say I'd've expected that, but glad that it could add something useful nonetheless.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Thrice Xandvii wrote: 11 Jun 2021 11:50
elemtilas wrote: 19 Feb 2021 14:51
Thrice Xandvii wrote: 19 Feb 2021 11:40 [...]

Well, it would certainly appear that a most interesting conversation was spawned by my rather innocuous and late-to-the-party response! Can't say I'd've expected that, but glad that it could add something useful nonetheless.
Indeed! Well, it's an ancient conversation to be sure! Almost as old as language invention on the internet. I'm just glad you were able to tick a few of those near-mythical boxes!
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Thrice Xandvii wrote: 19 Feb 2021 11:40 Just found this quiz, figured, why the heck not?

5. Ethnicity you primarily identify with: German/Lithuanian
About how old were you when you realized you were Lithuanian?
How did your parents take it when you told them?
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

I seem to remember Klaivas joking about fitting the stereotype, but I don't know if he was actually from Lithuania.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

-Klaivas-! There's a name I haven't heard in some time! (And according to the Members Firectory, he never made it to the CBB . . . or did he use a different screenname here?)
♂♥♂♀

Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

eldin raigmore wrote: 12 Jun 2021 21:58 About how old were you when you realized you were Lithuanian?
How did your parents take it when you told them?
LOL

I was informed at some point, likely relevant to a school project or some family tree nonsense or something, by my parents. Can't say I recall precisely, but I imagine they took it well.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

In Spain the best upper sets do it,
Lithuanians on 'Nets do it,
Let's do it,
Let's build a world!
♂♥♂♀

Lorik
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Lorik »

I just found this thread and I'm surprised that the real stereotype question hasn't been asked:
Did you get into conlanging after reading or watching Lord of the Rings?
And my answer to that question is "yes".

And by the way, here are my answers to the poll:
1. Sex: female
2. Sexual orientation: straight
3. Handedness: right-handed
4. Nationality: Brazilian
5. Ethnicity: Chinese
6. Neurotype: neurotypical, as far as I know
7. Health conditions: I have asthma and a mild allergy to horses
8. Do you wear glasses? Yes
9. Facial hair: I'm female
10. Body type: tall and thin, slightly muscular
11. Subculture: equestrian
12. Pets: a horse and too many birds
13. Religion: atheist
Native: :bra: | Fluent: :eng: :fra: | Intermediate: :rus:
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Thanks for taking this survey! I've just gotten to know you a little better!
I Lorik wrote: 27 Dec 2021 12:42 I just found this thread and I'm surprised that the real stereotype question hasn't been asked:
Did you get into conlanging after reading or watching Lord of the Rings?
And my answer to that question is "yes".
I didn't even think of this one!

Then again, I did NOT get into conlanging because of Tolkien. My knowledge of Tolkien comes from having our teacher read The Hobbit to her class in the fourth grade. I've never read the Lord of the Rings books, nor seen the movies.
And by the way, here are my answers to the poll:
1. Sex: female
2. Sexual orientation: straight
3. Handedness: right-handed
4. Nationality: Brazilian
5. Ethnicity: Chinese
6. Neurotype: neurotypical, as far as I know
7. Health conditions: I have asthma and a mild allergy to horses
8. Do you wear glasses? Yes
9. Facial hair: I'm female
10. Body type: tall and thin, slightly muscular
11. Subculture: equestrian
12. Pets: a horse and too many birds
13. Religion: atheist
It's refreshing to see a female conlanger from Brazil who loves horses! You don't fit too many of the stereotypes, even if you wear glasses, have autoimmune disorders, and are an atheist.

Also, I can easily see how an equestrian could get into medieval fantasy type fiction like Lord of the Rings, since horses played such a big part in these medieval Eurasian societies, so it all sort of fits together. Have you read Mark Rosenfelder's The Conlanger's Lexipedia? Among the pictures on the cover is a dude astride a horse (because, as Rosenfelder explained, noble steeds were so important to traditional cultures across Eurasia), and the Animals section has a sampling of horse-related terms in English ("pastern" and its ilk).
♂♥♂♀

Lorik
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Lorik »

Khemehekis wrote: Have you read Mark Rosenfelder's The Conlanger's Lexipedia? Among the pictures on the cover is a dude astride a horse (because, as Rosenfelder explained, noble steeds were so important to traditional cultures across Eurasia), and the Animals section has a sampling of horse-related terms in English ("pastern" and its ilk).
Nope, I haven't. Thanks for the suggestion! It might also be a good opportunity for me to increase my English vocabulary.
Native: :bra: | Fluent: :eng: :fra: | Intermediate: :rus:
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

I Lorik wrote: 27 Dec 2021 14:46
Khemehekis wrote: Have you read Mark Rosenfelder's The Conlanger's Lexipedia? Among the pictures on the cover is a dude astride a horse (because, as Rosenfelder explained, noble steeds were so important to traditional cultures across Eurasia), and the Animals section has a sampling of horse-related terms in English ("pastern" and its ilk).
Nope, I haven't. Thanks for the suggestion! It might also be a good opportunity for me to increase my English vocabulary.
You're welcome! Some really obscure English words about horses and dung in that one chapter alone. Rosenfelder says that in medieval Europe, you weren't a farmer unless you had your own cow, but you were "rabble" till you had your own horse.
♂♥♂♀