The Sixth Conversation Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Tsugar
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Re: The Sixth Conversation Thread

Post by Tsugar »

I seriously want to keep up the motivation to 'succeed'[1] in adulthood even though I have been enough of a shitheel in the past 8 years or so

[1] Get and keep an engineering job, and be able to live independently
Tsugar
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Tsugar »

Even when mom pushes me to do something that expands my agency like opening a bank account, I still reflexively flinch back because she has a history of pushing me and pressuring me on important decisions like my linguistics minor, the summer research project and the co-op (and on gf stuff). I really wish there was a part of my offline life she didn't know about
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

HA! Spent two hours working on a calendar for the group of druids my character in D&D comes from, assuming our DM was using basically "the planet goes round its star, and its moon orbits the planet in the same way the Earth, Moon, and Sun do", only to ask afterwards what their calendar is... to find out they use a 300-day-long calendar where the moon orbits every 30 days [xD]

My character is a Moon Druid, so it felt right to tie a character to phases of the moon, but I didn't want it to drift like purely lunar calendars do, so settled on a lunisolar calendar (there is purely solar calendar as well, which divides the year into 12 months of 30 days each, plus 5 "additional days" spread throughout the year to mark transitions between seasons and years, but it was meant to have less of a social impact that the lunisolar one, which determined things like gatherings, communal and private celebrations/festivals/events, as well as being relevant to points within and individual's own life, like the age that they might start training to be a druid, or the age that they might start taking on certain roles*)

I think I'll hang onto it, but in-game, eh, feels a bit silly now [:P]

*For example, in the 13th year of a person's life, they can begin to train as a druid, to prepare them for their "long 14th year" (this is "symbolically long" rather than actually long, where a person's life is marked out, year to year, in a similar manner to the lunisolar calendar). Similarly, druid's are able to start taking an active role in their 16th year, and to take up residence on their own in their 18th year, again, ahead of their "long 17th" and "long 19th" years respectively.

The 13th year is also the first of the "winter years" so the start of training begins in "harder times" but also during what is considered the "two years of reflection" (there is a "between seasons" year marking the "winter/spring", "spring/summer", and "summer/autumn" transition, but nothing specifically marking an "autumn/winter" transition, which is instead marked by two years (the 12th and 13th) of more intense reflection, especially regards to losses within the community of the past few years, but also towards strengthening bonds within the community), the 16th year is the final year of the "winter years" (while not marking the end of "training", which is considered on-going throughout a person's life), and the 18th year is the first year of the "spring years. This, ideally, prepares each druid for "the height of spring" in their life, i.e. their 20th year, the beginning of a new cycle, which they start as a full member of the community, with training, the ability to speak and vote in gatherings, to take part in rituals, and the right to take on basically every role within the community.

My character, Henk, is in his 28th year, which is considered a year of turbulence, and given that several members of the community had recently gone missing, he felt it was only right that he through himself into the turmoil, with the intent of returning to "normality" by his 30th year (this was actually a coincidence, since, from what I can remember 28-30 is considered a typical age for a level 7 or 8 half-orc(?), and I joined the campaign when the other players were at level 7)
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
vampireshark
sinic
sinic

Post by vampireshark »

Random: Science with friends is the best kind of Science. (Just got another publication accepted.)
And I'll dance with you in Vienna,
I'll be wearing a river's disguise;
The hyacinth wild on my shoulder,
My mouth on the dew of your thigh...

Looking for subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

I made a funny (image of moderate size):
Spoiler:
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

I don't remember. I wasn't born yet. I wouldn't be born for another 37 years.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Do we have any (proficient / (near) native language level) Irish Gaelic speakers hereabouts? I'd really appreciate some help with a few short Google Translate results. Kindly PM if you exist!

Gaelic baffles me.

Old Irish, much easier!
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

There used to be some over on the ZBB (certainly linguoboy).

[sadly my own knowledge is rudimentary.]
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Salmoneus wrote: 08 Feb 2022 21:22 There used to be some over on the ZBB (certainly linguoboy).

[sadly my own knowledge is rudimentary.]
I wish mine were that good! Anyway, thanks! Will check ZBB as well.
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

[ ⟰ above greatness ⟰ ]
Good Lord! This amount of thought & work!!! Commendable :!:
Nevar silly:!:

It's just that, if I could impose myself into your situation for a nano-eyeblink, I would have wished to have "come upon" this already completed by generations of in-conworld lorefolk, in a kind of Tlon-Uqbar sort of serendipity. I prolly might've slept for 1-2 days after this level of demiurgury.

Yet somehow, the Secret Vice hooks us, and we find ourselves making superdetailed charts [<3] and unbelievablely eye-catching [<3] runish Jera-graphs, among other curiously wrought shapes of our delight.

Carry On, I say!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

elemtilas wrote: 08 Feb 2022 03:05 Do we have any (proficient / (near) native language level) Irish Gaelic speakers hereabouts? I'd really appreciate some help with a few short Google Translate results. Kindly PM if you exist!

Gaelic baffles me.

Old Irish, much easier!
Sheumais ⇒ Hamish
[O.O]
Lenition out the wazoo
Backdoor Fortition
Y U do dat, Gaeliclangs?!

An amazing, amazing mazazing, druidically enchanting group 'o' tongues are they, the whole Ghoidelic Bunch :!:
And toss a caber my way if I'm wrong!!!
Xonen

Post by Xonen »

Lambuzhao wrote: 20 Feb 2022 16:16Sheumais ⇒ Hamish
[O.O]
Lenition out the wazoo
Backdoor Fortition

An amazing, amazing mazazing, druidically enchanting group 'o' tongues are they, the whole Ghoidelic Bunch :!:
Well, technically, I'm not sure if there's any fortition there, so... (╯°□°)╯︵🪵, I guess? (Return caber to sender if deemed appropriate.) But I'll admit I did not know that Hamish is basically the vocative of Seamus, which is indeed pretty cool.
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Indeed, not in that word /Hamish/ , but there is this kind of fortition in Irish (at least), where depending on the vowel before and/or after, it may get the fortition.

But I am probably misremembering it. It has been æons unto the æons since I picked up & perused something relating to Irish or Scots Gaelic.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Lambuzhao wrote: 20 Feb 2022 16:11 [ ⟰ above greatness ⟰ ]
Good Lord! This amount of thought & work!!! Commendable :!:
Nevar silly:!:

It's just that, if I could impose myself into your situation for a nano-eyeblink, I would have wished to have "come upon" this already completed by generations of in-conworld lorefolk, in a kind of Tlon-Uqbar sort of serendipity. I prolly might've slept for 1-2 days after this level of demiurgury.

Yet somehow, the Secret Vice hooks us, and we find ourselves making superdetailed charts [<3] and unbelievablely eye-catching [<3] runish Jera-graphs, among other curiously wrought shapes of our delight.

Carry On, I say!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I'm right there with you, on this being the sort of thing you might stumble across while exploring some new area of the world, but knowing how much effort this sort of thing can take for someone into making conworlds for their own sake, I can appreciate this isn't the kind of detail a DM might throw into weekly sessions, when there are already a host of possible storylines to keep track of, NPCs, locations, etc. and the main goal for most of the players is "meet notable person, complete quest, try not to die"

I've still got this in my character folder either way [:P]
Just one time.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Lambuzhao wrote: 20 Feb 2022 16:16 Sheumais ⇒ Hamish
[O.O]
Lenition out the wazoo
Backdoor Fortition
Ghaeliclangs
saya terima cabaran itu! nitfocichur in gabar sin acht in gaber so! nulli hic maleficie perperi caprones! digo esos no caber!
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Been house-sitting for about a week (got another week to go), going back to mine every couple of days to check up on my reptiles. Made my way through ahead of D&D, and found Kami had died at some point between my last visit on Tuesday and today. I knew it was coming, he'd slowed down, had stopped eating, but I wasn't expecting it to just happen so fast

Mostly just had a headache since finding him in his tank, but the Rhaegal, Viserion, and Svafnir all got treats and attention

Just one time.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

sangi39 wrote: 04 Mar 2022 02:13 and found Kami had died at some point between my last visit on Tuesday and today. I knew it was coming, he'd slowed down, had stopped eating, but I wasn't expecting it to just happen so fast
[:'(] [:'(] [:'(]
but the Rhaegal, Viserion, and Svafnir all got treats and attention
[:D] [:D] [:D] Yayyyyy!!!!!!!! Party time for the herps!
♂♥♂♀

opipik
mayan
mayan

Post by opipik »

Yesterday was apparently my 7th anniversary here - can't believe I've been here for that long!
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Happy Down Syndrome Day!
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Thought all of you might want to see this (and get a quick joke in):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... omination)
♂♥♂♀