The Sixth Conversation Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Re: The Sixth Conversation Thread

Post by Khemehekis »

The April Fools' deletion debate for Toki Pona has ended. I really thought we'd have lots of people people from this board "voting" in that debate in their conlangs. Wow.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

That would require there to be lots of people on this board.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

April 1st was also a Friday, so there's a good chance a fair few people were either at work or at school, and then of course there's the question of whether people even found it funny enough to take part, let alone construct entire sentences to post when the majority of conlangs seem to be largely "unfinished", i.e. not at a point where such translations are possible. And as Sal said, we're a relatively small community, so throw all that together, and it's kind of hard to imagine many people from here specifically would have taken part

Personally, even though I clicked the link and skimmed through it... eh, it wasn't for me
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
Lorik
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Lorik »

Well, personally, I only saw the debate when it was already closed, and besides, I didn't find it very funny, so I wouldn't have participated anyways.
Native: :bra: | Fluent: :eng: :fra: | Intermediate: :rus:
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien »

sangi39 wrote: 03 Apr 2022 15:40 the majority of conlangs seem to be largely "unfinished", i.e. not at a point where such translations are possible.
Boy is that ever true. I have been falling away from the hobby in recent years and I find that sad, but the ongoing and mammoth task that is conlanging tends to push me away from it to some degree. It always feels like a project that will be forever unfinished and when that comes to mind, I focus on something with a more clear end in sight. I wish there was more active participation here, but I'm just glad to have met a community of people interested in this obscure thing. [:D]
Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

I made a Sankey diagram of my job search so far…and yes, the number of "I Applied" (and rejections) is lowballing it severely.
Spoiler:
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
CT = Classical Ĝare n Tim Ar
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

I just got the (German translation of) the Discworld Atlas ("Vollsthändiger und unentbehrlicher Atlas der Scheibenwelt") and I am positively surprised. I did not expect much, I just needed to buy a book to get free shipment for something else and many of these additional books are really just merchandise. But this is really nice. I just skimmed it but I got really nostalgic. The illustrations are really nice and I feel like there are bits and pieces of new information in there. It is also so much more than a map, there are descriptions and illustrations of all parts of the disc. Some of them include a kind of anachronistic satire of the neocolonialist discourse (a shallow kind) but you can really see how it developed into a more critical kind of depiction of conquest and discovery. All in all, I am really happy that I bought it. It also kind of fits my reading style because I have time to skim, but not usually to read a whole book.
Edit: Oh and the map is fantastic of course.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Creyeditor wrote: 10 Apr 2022 20:41 I just got the (German translation of) the Discworld Atlas ("Vollsthändiger und unentbehrlicher Atlas der Scheibenwelt") and I am positively surprised. I did not expect much, I just needed to buy a book to get free shipment for something else and many of these additional books are really just merchandise. But this is really nice. I just skimmed it but I got really nostalgic. The illustrations are really nice and I feel like there are bits and pieces of new information in there. It is also so much more than a map, there are descriptions and illustrations of all parts of the disc. Some of them include a kind of anachronistic satire of the neocolonialist discourse (a shallow kind) but you can really see how it developed into a more critical kind of depiction of conquest and discovery. All in all, I am really happy that I bought it. It also kind of fits my reading style because I have time to skim, but not usually to read a whole book.
Edit: Oh and the map is fantastic of course.
I just checked the preview on Google Books (I see Pratchett, I click, lol), and that does look really nice. The illustrations for sure are pretty damn brilliant, and they take up more space on the page than the 2015 English equivalent, I think (I still need to actually buy a copy, but I'm seriously running out of shelf space [:P] ), although I do prefer the general layout of the English version. I wonder how much of that might have come down to cost, since they'd have had to have hired a translator and it would have been editted again, I assume, but I like the way the text runs in two colums in the English one and the pages are coloured. That's not to say the white background and single-column text is bad, it's just that double-column text reminds me of our old encyclopedias, haha

Obviously not speaking German, nor having the English version, I can't compare the actually written content of the two, but it's nice to see that there's new bits and pieces in there [:D]
Just one time.
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

sangi39 wrote: 11 Apr 2022 14:02

I just checked the preview on Google Books (I see Pratchett, I click, lol), and that does look really nice. The illustrations for sure are pretty damn brilliant, and they take up more space on the page than the 2015 English equivalent, I think (I still need to actually buy a copy, but I'm seriously running out of shelf space [:P] ), although I do prefer the general layout of the English version. I wonder how much of that might have come down to cost, since they'd have had to have hired a translator and it would have been editted again, I assume, but I like the way the text runs in two colums in the English one and the pages are coloured. That's not to say the white background and single-column text is bad, it's just that double-column text reminds me of our old encyclopedias, haha
This actually seems to be peculiar to Google books. My copy has double-column text and yellow-ish brown-idh pages [:D]
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Creyeditor wrote: 11 Apr 2022 20:07
sangi39 wrote: 11 Apr 2022 14:02

This actually seems to be peculiar to Google books. My copy has double-column text and yellow-ish brown-idh pages [:D]
Oh sweet! [:D] Even better then!
Just one time.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... e-her.html
After Megxit, that Oprah interview and missing Philip's memorial, Harry tells US television he is 'making sure the Queen is protected and has the right people around her' – with the Palace braced against more sensational claims later today
An English word with a GX?
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Guzhiet blat e hol!
enjoy-IMPRTV twenty in four
Happy 4/20!
♂♥♂♀

LittleLynx_53
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by LittleLynx_53 »

So,
I was telling my mother about my conlang, that I'm still trying to pin down the grammar of. (And I'm well aware how lucky I am that my mother is also the sort of person who finds conlang cool.)

But I tell her that it's going to have four nominal genders (animate/inanimate based for the sake of something in the culture) and right away she says:
"Four? Are you sure you want to do that to yourself?"

Me: .....

Mom: .....

Me: "....I'm sure it'll be fine....."

I'm a first-time conlanger. No really, I'm sure it'll be fine....
Never fight a land war in (that fictional group of countries heavily based on Asia.)
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

Did anybody notice that there will be a (non-LCS) conlang conference in Italy? Here is the link: https://linguistlist.org/issues/33/33-1673/
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

In a dream the other night, my subconscious correctly used the word 'fustigate', which impressed me so much I made a note of it and looked it up upon awakening. I'm not sure whether to be proud of my subconscious for having a better vocabulary than I do, or embarrassed...
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Creyeditor wrote: 12 May 2022 18:58 Did anybody notice that there will be a (non-LCS) conlang conference in Italy? Here is the link: https://linguistlist.org/issues/33/33-1673/
Wow! They think it’s the first one!
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Salmoneus wrote: 12 May 2022 22:22 In a dream the other night, my subconscious correctly used the word 'fustigate', which impressed me so much I made a note of it and looked it up upon awakening. I'm not sure whether to be proud of my subconscious for having a better vocabulary than I do, or embarrassed...
Wow, I don't even have an entry for "fustigate" in my Kankonian dictionary! And I did the F's the other day, including words like "fissiparous" and "flyting".

I had to look it up too.
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Total posts 222185 • Total topics 6222 • Total members 2022 • Our newest member Nel Fie

We've finally caught up with the current calendar year in terms of number of total members!
♂♥♂♀

qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Was it just me or was the CBB unaccessible like ten minutes ago? Kept getting "domain doesn't exist errors"
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

...woah.

So, maybe a week ago, I heard a snatch of a tune, and I couldn't quite work out what it was [ I have now worked it out]. In the process of thinking about that tune I accidentally slipped into another tune. And for several days last week I kept humming THAT tune to myself, even though I couldn't work out what that one was either.

And today I open youtube, and one of the first suggestions is for a short classical music video (which currently do not make up most of my youtube recommendations!) of two people singing something relatively obscure. I thought to myself "I'm sure I've heard that but I can't remember it, let's remind myself"...

...and it's the tune I suddenly started humming last week.

Either that's the most ridiculous coincidence I've experienced in a long time, or Google has moved beyond web tracking and is actually tracking my mind...