The Sixth Conversation Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Re: The Sixth Conversation Thread

Post by Khemehekis »

I didn't think I'd ever reference Kankonian in a Quora answer . . .

https://www.quora.com/What-is-an-adult- ... opic_bio=1
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

♂♥♂♀

qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Proud to be number ten, although I think the numbers have been deflated now due to regular deletion of certain threads
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

I do not understand how I can rank as high as second.
If Khemehekis is only twentieth I probably shouldn’t be higher than twenty-first.
That’s the way I feel, anyway. My intuition must be misleading me somehow.
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien »

I have some serious catching up to do [O.O]
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

KaiTheHomoSapien wrote: 29 Mar 2021 19:16 I have some serious catching up to do [O.O]
Yeah, you're currently eighty-fifth.

But then again, you joined pret-ty recently compared to most of the people in the top 50!
♂♥♂♀

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Khemehekis wrote: 29 Mar 2021 21:46
KaiTheHomoSapien wrote: 29 Mar 2021 19:16 I have some serious catching up to do [O.O]
Yeah, you're currently eighty-fifth.

But then again, you joined pret-ty recently compared to most of the people in the top 50!
I didn't even know we kept track! Must be some super secret office down in the subbasements that takes care of that kind of thing, eh? Though what I found even more interesting is the 700 people who have made one post or fewer (200 with one post, 500 with 0 post).
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

Looking at that list makes me wonder what happened to Lambuzhao and Lao Kou.

Also, I’m seventh, woo!
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

Today, I used the word "deliquescent" instinctively, in a literal but non-scientific context. Which is good, not only because it's nice when my brain works*, but also because it's a really, really nice word.

*I have a very good passive memory, including a very large passive vocabulary. But my ability to summon the current memory on demand, including words, has always been erratic at best...
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

DesEsseintes wrote: 31 Mar 2021 03:49 Looking at that list makes me wonder what happened to Lambuzhao and Lao Kou.
Now that you've called upon them, they'll likely make an appearance!
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

DesEsseintes wrote: 31 Mar 2021 03:49 Looking at that list makes me wonder what happened to Lambuzhao and Lao Kou.
Wherever they are and whatever they're up to, I hope they're alright. The same goes for countless other users who haven't posted in years.

Salmoneus wrote: 31 Mar 2021 12:24 Today, I used the word "deliquescent" instinctively, in a literal but non-scientific context. Which is good, not only because it's nice when my brain works*, but also because it's a really, really nice word.

*I have a very good passive memory, including a very large passive vocabulary. But my ability to summon the current memory on demand, including words, has always been erratic at best...
Oh, what a fun word! That's a new one for me.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

DesEsseintes wrote: 31 Mar 2021 03:49
Looking at that list makes me wonder what happened to Lambuzhao and Lao Kou.

Also, I’m seventh, woo!
Whoa, I haven't even noticed it's been so long since either one has posted! I hope Géarthnuns continues to explode in lexicon size and Lambuzhao continues to learn other people's conlangs.

And I have used the word "deliquescent" before.

I remember when it appeared in the fifth round the year I went to the National Spelling Bee. I correctly figured that it would come from "liquid" and got it right, but the girl who had to spell it guessed "delaquescent". Ding! She later told reporters that she knew it was either an A or an I, and she had a 50/50 chance of guessing it right.
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Would "endlinguist" be a good word for the last surviving speaker of a moribund or extinct language?
♂♥♂♀

Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

To me it looks like it would mean 'the last linguist '.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Ahhh, it's an overlap-blend of the words "endling" and "linguist".
♂♥♂♀

Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

I did not know the word endling
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn »

Wasn't entirely sure where to post this and hopefully it isn't too personal. I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with losing the one contact they had to a language and I was wondering how they went about trying to continue learning it if they did. Me and my boyfriend of 3 years recently broke up and he was the only link I had to his native language and culture. I'm just trying to figure out what to do with continuing to practice it or if I even should.
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

This won't be a very helpful answer I'm afraid, but: it depends a lot on what sort of language it is. And what your motivations are in learning it.

First off: if you were only learning it to be closer to him, I probably wouldn't bother anymore. [unless you've spent a lot of time learning and you're very good]
On the other hand, if learning the language is actually useful in some way, then carry on.
There's probably a big grey area between those two, where your motivation is a mixture of things - practical use, the emotional connexion, and personal interest in the language. I don't know, but I think personally in that situation, I'd take a step back from the language for a little while - maybe not completely stop with it, if you're someone who needs constant exposure to remember things, but minimise the learning for a while. Then, in a while, see how you think about the language then - if it's something you're still interested in after some time away and after your emotions have settled down a bit, then it's probably worth continuing with. If you find that in your new world, you don't really care about going back to it once you've broken the habit, I probably wouldn't continue. Maybe don't throw out the textbooks though - you may want to reassess again after a longer period of time. After all, your feelings and thinkings about a lot of things are probably going to be in a bit of flux for a while, after a major life change.

In terms of the practicalities, I guess languages can broadly be divided into three groups:
a) languages that can be learnt easily. These are things with duolinguo and memrise courses, with media available in the language, with forums in the language, books, newspapers. In this case, if you do want to carry on, just jump into it. It may not be how you were learning before, but it can still be done.

b) languages that you have to work harder to learn. These are things that might not be quite as immediately accessible, but where, with a bit of effort, you can probably find opportunities to learn. This depends on where you are, as well as what language it is: in a city like London, finding either language teachers or just people willing to meet up and chat to you in their language isn't that hard, for a huge number of languages, particularly if you're willing to pay (but sometimes even if you're not). Whereas if you're in a smaller or less cosmopolitan settlement, even world languages can be hard to access in person.

c) languages that you have to change your life to learn. Some languages, you're probably going to have to go and live with the speakers in order to learn it. This is obviously a massive commitment and you'd have to really be passionate about the language to continue.

In terms more generally of options for practicing a language, the big ones are:
- doing solo courses, either online or offline
- doing in-person courses with a tutor or in a group
- hanging out with people, online or in person
- passive reading/watching/listening of media in that language
- active but solo language use - keeping a diary, etc.

Attractiveness of each option depends on your learning style, your motivations, and the accessibility of the language...

...in any case, commiserations on the breakup.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

All4Ɇn wrote: 16 Apr 2021 01:16 Wasn't entirely sure where to post this and hopefully it isn't too personal. I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with losing the one contact they had to a language and I was wondering how they went about trying to continue learning it if they did. Me and my boyfriend of 3 years recently broke up and he was the only link I had to his native language and culture. I'm just trying to figure out what to do with continuing to practice it or if I even should.
First, of course, I'm sorry for your loss! Three years is a pretty good while to form a deepening relationship, and breaking that up can't possibly be easy for you!

This I don't think is terribly personal. It's basically an open query "where can I interact with people who speak X language?" where "X" is left undefined and for us to guess!

[}:(]

It's really going to depend on several personal and social components of your life: was yóur participation in his language and culture limited to only you two as a couple, or were you developing relationships with his family as well?; how invested are you in this language and culture?; how entangled were your participation in his language and culture with your relationship itself?; do you consider your post-breakup perception of him as a burden that use of the language causes you emotional upset?; as you recover from breakup, would you be much more likely to seek out another boy of the same language community & culture? Another thing to consider is where you live. (You don't tell us that either!, and I at least don't know.) But what kinds of resources do you already know about in your area? --- classes, church groups, civic organisations, restaurants, etc.

The best thing I can say is to go on line and do some basic research. If you and your bf lived in proximity (same city) You might be able to find other people from his same geographic region. Look for cultural groups and churches; if you're in school, there may well be student organisations.

If the language is relatively rare and you live in a highly monolingual region, and you determine that you'd like to continue with the language & culture association, but are willing to keep it separate from your relationships, you could look online for cultural outreach organisations or internet groups focused on that culture, perhaps in Reddit. if there's an embassy or consulate near you, you could go there and see what resources might be available too.

Lastly, the question of "should you do this" is one none of us out here can answer. I can tell you, most emphatically, that if I were in your position, I would really have no choice but to continue. Even after three years, I was sufficiently immersed in the language and culture that if I had to seek a new relationship, it would almost have to be with someone from the same region & culture. I'm no longer entirely certain I could get along with someone from my own culture. But at this point in time, we've been going on 18 years; and there are family considerations that a Native may not fully understand or be on board with.

Sorry I can't be more helpful!, but there it is!
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

All4Ɇn wrote: 16 Apr 2021 01:16 Wasn't entirely sure where to post this and hopefully it isn't too personal. I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with losing the one contact they had to a language and I was wondering how they went about trying to continue learning it if they did. Me and my boyfriend of 3 years recently broke up and he was the only link I had to his native language and culture. I'm just trying to figure out what to do with continuing to practice it or if I even should.
I freely admit that I’m only asking cos I’m intensely curious, but would you be willing to tell us what language it is?

Sorry to hear about your breakup. [:'(]