The Sixth Conversation Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Re: The Sixth Conversation Thread

Post by shimobaatar »

I know I'm several days late in seeing this, but as others have said, I'm very sorry to hear about your cat, Salmoneus. I am, however, glad to hear that it wasn't generally too traumatic of an experience, although some lingering "weird feelings" are, of course, to be expected. Best wishes going forward.

Khemehekis
mayan
mayan

Post by Khemehekis »

elemtilas wrote:
07 May 2020 10:16
Aszev wrote:
07 May 2020 10:04
His post in reply to sangi having to put his pet down suggests that this is not the case.
Possibly! Possibly not. The reading is somewhat ambiguous. I'd leave the clarification for Khemehekis!
As I indicate in this post, I have never owned a cat or a dog. However, I have owned a number of rodent pets. I watched them approach the end of their natural lifespans, and let them all die naturally. (One hamster expired on my fifteenth birthday.)

I could tell these pets were getting old by their hoarier fur and their ever-longer dingleberries, but what I really noticed was the way they would go to the sipper less often and lose interest in their wheels. They became thinner, and like His Holiness ate less than before. I still held them, making sure to wash my hands properly beforehand so's not to hasten their death, and gave them love. In the end, my pets died on their own. The last few months of their life were less happy than their lives before, but I do not regret keeping them alive.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Salmoneus, what is your late cat's name?
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 65,595 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!

qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Not a Swedish speaker, but I suspect that the IPA on this wiktionary entry might not be right. Any confirmation? What should it be?
Spoiler:
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.

Aszev
admin
admin

Post by Aszev »

qwed117 wrote:
13 May 2020 05:11
Not a Swedish speaker, but I suspect that the IPA on this wiktionary entry might not be right. Any confirmation? What should it be?
I would write it as /²trœsːka/ (though the length is technically not phonemic).

cedh
MVP
MVP

Post by cedh »

I just came across an AI that invents new English words and writes dictionary definitions for them.
noun.
biofabrication
the manufacture of human clothes and other products using natural materials
"the manufacture of clothes is among the main activities that have allowed us to develop standards in the field of biofabrication"
noun.
dysgamma
a genetic defect that results in abnormally low serotonin levels
"a child diagnosed with dysgamma"
verb.
friddle
abruptly fail to live up to what has been stated
"the group friddled around its budget numbers"
adjective.
reculpatory
(of a discovery or account) showing the truth or truthfulness of something
"a videotape documenting the reculpatory evidence"

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

cedh wrote:
15 May 2020 19:05
I just came across an AI that invents new English words and writes dictionary definitions for them.
adjective.
reculpatory
(of a discovery or account) showing the truth or truthfulness of something
"a videotape documenting the reculpatory evidence"
Interesting! Kind of hit or miss. I suspect the AI hasn't learned what culpatory (<culpatus) means or how to apply re- to a word.

Since exculpatory evidence is evidence that tends to take away guilt, or to demonstrate that guilt doesn't apply; reculpatory evidence would be evidence that renews guilt.

Truth or untruth notwithstanding.
noun.
biofabrication
the manufacture of human clothes and other products using natural materials
"the manufacture of clothes is among the main activities that have allowed us to develop standards in the field of biofabrication"

Biofabrication is actually a word: The automated generation of biologically functional products with structural organization from living cells, bioactive molecules, biomaterials, cell aggregates such as micro-tissues, or hybrid cell-material constructs, through bioprinting or bioassembly and subsequent tissue maturation processes.

Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

There's a clamour at the moment for Dominic Cummings (basically our current version of Karl Rove) to resign or be sacked. I won't get into the politics of it [see brief factual summary below if you're interested], but it's just delightful that one of the hashtags on twitter calling for Dominic Cummings to be sacked is #dominicgoings.

Particularly as the call is for him to be sacked over his comings and goings.

Small rays of sunshine!

[spoiler: he won't go]

[factual summary:
Spoiler:
the UK lockdown rules, which Cummings is believed to have pesonally OKed, said at the time that: there can be no travel for any non-essential purposes (this has now been relaxed to allow travel for exercise); those who have symptoms must remain home and not leave even for essential purposes like buying food; children must be kept away from their grandparents, who are likely to be vulnerable. It now emerges that Cummings, at the height of lockdown, when both he and his wife were infected and fully symptomatic, drove 260 miles to take their probably-infected child to stay with his vulnerable grandparents. Despite having a nanny, and relatives who lived close by. And then lied about their location in the press as though even they thought they'd done something wrong. And then he forced scientific advisors to the government to resign over similar but seemingly less severe lockdown infringements. The police spoke to him about the matter, and took the unusual step of publically condemning his actions. The official line, however, is that not only should he not resign, but in fact he has done absolutely nothing wrong, and it is despicable and inhuman to question him on the matter.

eldin raigmore
korean
korean

КОВФЕФЕ

Post by eldin raigmore »

I just watched “Hotel Artemis”.
Close to the end, one of the characters goes to throw a big switch on a big switch box.
Over the switch box is a label that says КОВФЕФЕ.
I think that was an Easter egg?

elemtilas
runic
runic

Re: КОВФЕФЕ

Post by elemtilas »

eldin raigmore wrote:
31 May 2020 22:58
I just watched “Hotel Artemis”.
Close to the end, one of the characters goes to throw a big switch on a big switch box.
Over the switch box is a label that says КОВФЕФЕ.
I think that was an Easter egg?
I think so.

lsd
greek
greek

Re: КОВФЕФЕ

Post by lsd »

it's pathetic...