Introducing XIPA. (IPA & X-SAMPA input tool)

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Aevas
admin
admin

Introducing XIPA. (IPA & X-SAMPA input tool)

Post by Aevas »

I have completely revamped the old simple X-SAMPA to IPA Converter that I had on the old domain, that I know some of you were using.

It is now XIPA., a tool where you can both input IPA characters, and convert X-SAMPA to IPA.

https://cbbforum.com/xipa.html

I hope that you will find it useful [:)] Feel free to give feedback if you feel like something could be improved.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Re: Introducing XIPA. (IPA & X-SAMPA input tool)

Post by elemtilas »

Chapeau! Simple & intuitive! Very easy to use.

Is there any way you could place a permanent link somewhere near the post / reply edit screen? Near the smilies or as a button that would open to a new tab or window?
Aevas
admin
admin

Post by Aevas »

elemtilas wrote: 11 Apr 2020 15:06 Chapeau! Simple & intuitive! Very easy to use.

Is there any way you could place a permanent link somewhere near the post / reply edit screen? Near the smilies or as a button that would open to a new tab or window?
Thank you!

It's probably technically possible, but tweaking the board code will inevitably get messy when we update it :( (Hence why we're sticking with the default forum style atm.) I think it'll be easier if anyone who wants XIPA. readily available simply bookmarks it in their browser.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Aszev wrote: 15 Apr 2020 15:09
elemtilas wrote: 11 Apr 2020 15:06 Chapeau! Simple & intuitive! Very easy to use.

Thank you!

It's probably technically possible, but tweaking the board code will inevitably get messy when we update it :( (Hence why we're sticking with the default forum style atm.) I think it'll be easier if anyone who wants XIPA. readily available simply bookmarks it in their browser.
[¬.¬] but understandable!
Sequor
sinic
sinic

Post by Sequor »

Aevas wrote: 11 Apr 2020 11:30xipa.html

I hope that you will find it useful [:)] Feel free to give feedback if you feel like something could be improved.
Thank you so much for this revamped version of XIPA! I see it both looks nicer and also has more things, like the zero-morpheme marker ∅ (through a button). It's wonderful!

I'd love it if you could correct a small bug that was also present in the ancient version: the ˞ (rhotic) marker for some reason stops the conversion of the character right before it.

How to reproduce: type an X-SAMPA code that gets converted (e.g. E, A), and then type ` (backtick).
An example:
- input: A`
- output: A˞
- expected output: ɑ˞
hīc sunt linguificēs. hēr bēoþ tungemakeras.
Aevas
admin
admin

Post by Aevas »

Sequor wrote: 18 Oct 2020 20:07Thank you so much for this revamped version of XIPA! I see it both looks nicer and also has more things, like the zero-morpheme marker ∅ (through a button). It's wonderful!

I'd love it if you could correct a small bug that was also present in the ancient version: the ˞ (rhotic) marker for some reason stops the conversion of the character right before it.

How to reproduce: type an X-SAMPA code that gets converted (e.g. E, A), and then type ` (backtick).
An example:
- input: A`
- output: A˞
- expected output: ɑ˞
I'm glad that you like it! I've been curious about whether anyone has been using it, so your comment is much appreciated 🙂

I've updated it now and added a fix for the rhotic issue. It's not very elegant, because you have to use <_`> instead of <`>, but at least it should work.
Sequor
sinic
sinic

Post by Sequor »

Aevas wrote: 19 Oct 2020 21:00I've updated it now and added a fix for the rhotic issue. It's not very elegant, because you have to use <_`> instead of <`>, but at least it should work.
Thank you for the fix!

One thing I didn't know I was missing in particular was the inventory of suprasegmentals as buttons. In particular, for some reason, the X-SAMPA codes for tones have never felt intuitive for me, even though I understood in theory that _T = "top" ˥, _H = "high" ˦, _M = "mid" ˧, _L = "low" ˨, and _B = "bottom" ˩.
hīc sunt linguificēs. hēr bēoþ tungemakeras.
Aevas
admin
admin

Post by Aevas »

Sequor wrote: 20 Oct 2020 03:26One thing I didn't know I was missing in particular was the inventory of suprasegmentals as buttons. In particular, for some reason, the X-SAMPA codes for tones have never felt intuitive for me, even though I understood in theory that _T = "top" ˥, _H = "high" ˦, _M = "mid" ˧, _L = "low" ˨, and _B = "bottom" ˩.
I agree with this. The various diacritics were always the hardest part of X-SAMPA. I like the current buttons with tooltip text, because I usually have a general idea of where the diacritic I'm looking for should be, and now I can simply hover around and find it, instead of having to go look it up somewhere else.
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

Aevas wrote: 19 Oct 2020 21:00I'm glad that you like it! I've been curious about whether anyone has been using it, so your comment is much appreciated 🙂
I have also been using it [:)] It's how I make almost all of my IPA transcriptions online. Thank you for keeping it up!
Aevas
admin
admin

Post by Aevas »

Dormouse559 wrote: 21 Oct 2020 09:11
Aevas wrote: 19 Oct 2020 21:00I'm glad that you like it! I've been curious about whether anyone has been using it, so your comment is much appreciated 🙂
I have also been using it [:)] It's how I make almost all of my IPA transcriptions online. Thank you for keeping it up!
Thanks for letting me know! 🙂
jimydog000
sinic
sinic

Post by jimydog000 »

I thought I would get used to the textbox centring after a while. Nope, it's still annoying.
Its an okay tool. I still prefer another though. I like having the diacritics labelled so I can easily find what I'm looking for, and the zoom and colour choices...
It is the only tool with everything on one page and xesampa conversion gizmos.