[Split Thread] Prometheus of Linguistics

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Bob
cuneiform
cuneiform

[Split Thread] Prometheus of Linguistics

Post by Bob »

jlorber4 wrote: 06 Jul 2019 15:20 ...
I got to tell you, though, I am the modern Prometheus if there ever was one. I, me, myself, did steal fire from Olympus with my BA Linguistics.

I have studied and made major discoveries in such famous languages that it would make your head spin. Watch this:

I am probably the most advanced expert in all 50 known hieroglyphic (logographic) writing systems to ever exist. I compare them all and that's the secret, that's how I get the insights into their secrets and mechanics. These include Egyptian Hieroglyphic, Mayan Hieroglyphic, Cuneiform, and Classical Chinese, the very first written languages, spanning thousans of years.

I am also one of 10 skilled scholars to work on the second most important historical Indian language, the first being Mayan Hieroglyphic: 1600s Massachusett, the language of the famous "First Thanksgiving Indians".

I am one of few skilled scholars to do work on the oldest written language or Iran, Elamite, which is named in Acts 2 of the Bible and some other places.

I am probably a unique expert on all 20 ancient languages of the Bible, by the way, and on English language Bible translation.

And then anything you could ever know about ancient languages, I have studied almost all those languages to a notable extent. And then many very obscure languages on top of that.

But the real glory of my studies is secrets I've learned along the way and good luck I've encountered. Which is not the sort of thing, unfortunately, which one should make any more explicit.

So I can recommend linguistics combined with ancient language studies and world travel. But I know there's pitfalls in each. So what I've said, that's the most benevolent and universally applicable thing that comes to mind. I know for me, myself, my situation is not one that anyone could guess. But you asked what you asked without further specification, so here I've given some replies which might be a good match.
sangi39

Re: where to study linguistics/conlang in U.S.?

Post by sangi39 »

Bob wrote: 23 Aug 2020 04:30
jlorber4 wrote: 06 Jul 2019 15:20 ...
I got to tell you, though, I am the modern Prometheus if there ever was one. I, me, myself, did steal fire from Olympus with my BA Linguistics.

I have studied and made major discoveries in such famous languages that it would make your head spin. Watch this:

I am probably the most advanced expert in all 50 known hieroglyphic (logographic) writing systems to ever exist. I compare them all and that's the secret, that's how I get the insights into their secrets and mechanics. These include Egyptian Hieroglyphic, Mayan Hieroglyphic, Cuneiform, and Classical Chinese, the very first written languages, spanning thousans of years.

I am also one of 10 skilled scholars to work on the second most important historical Indian language, the first being Mayan Hieroglyphic: 1600s Massachusett, the language of the famous "First Thanksgiving Indians".

I am one of few skilled scholars to do work on the oldest written language or Iran, Elamite, which is named in Acts 2 of the Bible and some other places.

I am probably a unique expert on all 20 ancient languages of the Bible, by the way, and on English language Bible translation.

And then anything you could ever know about ancient languages, I have studied almost all those languages to a notable extent. And then many very obscure languages on top of that.

But the real glory of my studies is secrets I've learned along the way and good luck I've encountered. Which is not the sort of thing, unfortunately, which one should make any more explicit.

So I can recommend linguistics combined with ancient language studies and world travel. But I know there's pitfalls in each. So what I've said, that's the most benevolent and universally applicable thing that comes to mind. I know for me, myself, my situation is not one that anyone could guess. But you asked what you asked without further specification, so here I've given some replies which might be a good match.
Bob, while in your previous two posts you at least attempted at a critique of the US university system, and whether doing certain kinds of degree can be considered "worth it" (purely on financial grounds, which, as you must surely know, is not the sole measure of whether a degree is worth studying for), but:

a) You didn't actually answer the question that was asked, i.e. where should jlorber4's son* study linguistics or conlangs at university in the US? - Fair enough, if you think most US universities are lacking in this, the fine, but which ones would you actually recommend? Is Michigan State worth a mention? If so, why? If not, why not?
b) You filled your final post with your typical self-aggrandising, repetitive noise that goes literally no way towards answering the question.

As mentioned in my other responses, if this sort of repetitive, contentless, self-aggrandising noise continues, I will consider it spam, and I will act accordingly.

If you must post in somebody else's thread, could you please make the effort to keep it relevant to the topic (or at least follow on from it within your own post), and, for the last time, please, please, keep the "I've been studying for 15 years, I have a BA in linguistics, I study all 50 hieroglyphic writing system" to a minimum. You've made your academic and personal background abundantly clear in the dozen or so times you've brought it up, a propos of nothing.
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
Bob
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Bob »

sangi39 wrote: 23 Aug 2020 21:17 ...
Here, I read what you wrote.
Bob
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Bob »

eldin raigmore wrote: 24 Aug 2020 01:53
jlorber4 wrote: 06 Jul 2019 15:20 Hello,
My son is still in high school, but is interested in conlangs specifically and linguistics generally. Any advice about U.S. colleges that excel in these fields would be much appreciated (I'm an ecologist and am ignorant about this world). Thanks for your time!
You might also consider Oakland County Community College;
especially if you’re in SouthEast Michigan;
especially especially if you’re in Oakland County or one if its neighboring counties.
Check them out first! My impression that they have a good library for linguistics and conlanging may be out-of-date, or maybe applies only to their library and not to their classes.
And my impression that it’s cheap for Wayne and Macomb and Washtenaw county residents to go there may also no longer be true; maybe only a Oakland County residents get a break now.
No, I don't think the person is from Michigan. I just said Michigan State University, if I said it, because that's where I went and I think they know something about linguistics. They have a full faculty. Me, I mostly only know where the linguistics faculty and other faculty are at for my own #1 specialization, the linguistics of logographic writing systems and their languages.

But I'm busy now, I got some online community that I'm on and a moderator is chasing me out for some reason. I got to go recoup so I can avoid that place and get what little research I can during a plague year, put it on my website and maybe post it a few places for the people that appreciate it and all the hard work I've done, in spite of all the challenges. I've been doing a lot on facebook groups the past 5 years, though, so I have some sense of probably what's going on. You know what they say, "When in London, do as the Londoners do." Though I got lots of friends and relatives in London, so apparently people are different all over. :) I got an ancestor from Lincolnshire from the 1650s but that was a long time ago and I don't know much more about it than that. But sometimes, the way things go, I don't think I'm going to get the chance to know anymore about it than that. I have a good friend over facebook from Leeds, UK, though, and we fight sometimes but I learn a thing or two.

I don't want to say anything else here about Michigan, though. I do other replies to some websites and sometimes the other members tear into me. I'm not used to things off facebook where it's anonymous but I'm not really anonymous. It's only some place that I got the homefield advantage, you know what I mean? You know, on facebook you can block people. More than you can here.

Wait a minute, something occured to me ... Oh, well, I can add that anonymity has its disadvantages.
masako
mayan
mayan

Post by masako »

g

o

n

e