What are you listening to/watching?

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

What are you listening to/watching?

Post by Lambuzhao »

A snuschus song for the New Year:

Chris Isaak - Wicked Game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aid2vMbCNP8

Rang in 2019 quietly with my Son. No drama from my ex-wife (so far…)
No wicked games, thank goodness!

Happy 2019! Let's hœp it's a good'un!!!!! [:D]

Edit: Topic continued from the previous thread. -Aevas, 2020-09-06
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Re: What are you listening to/watching?

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien »

Been listening to old Taiwanese pop music. Just kind of randomly stumbled upon on it on YouTube. I've heard music like this before at Asian markets, but never paid much attention to it until now:

龍飄飄 - 聽說你要走

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Whrps1L6RX0

There's just something very pleasant about it.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Is anyone else watching "The Orville"?
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
lsd
greek
greek

Post by lsd »

Lambuzhao wrote: 02 Jan 2019 02:22 Chris Isaak - Wicked Game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aid2vMbCNP8
It make me think to that post-melancholic movie...
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Wow - Wow - WHOA - æ!

Thanks, LSD!

Very noice! [:'(]
this ditty from ole Ry Cooder sounds like a molto mæstuoso version of variations on the bridge of Old Black Water by the Doobie Brothers.

Aboslutely [<3] [<3] [<3] [<3] [<3] Ry Cooder, especially his thirsty, rusty, yearning Tatooinesque soundscapes on Buena Vista Social Club, and even as far back as the warm smoldering fire of his layered acoustic guitarwerk on the Monkees (yes… the Monkees') As We Go Along).

I see ur Ry Cooder, and raise you a laid back instrumental Doobie Bros~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax5P383dZ2c
hœp it doesn't offend ur æsthetics!

And an instrumental (!) version of As we go along
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_EoDABkK9Y

Old Black Water, keep on rolling…

[:)]

PS:
Okay, although it goes against my take on the recentmost schneefall outside, here's
Chan Chan from Buena Vista Social Club w/ Ry Cooder's snaky, hypnotic slide guitar, along with a Justice League's worth of late great Cuban lost-but-found Superestrellas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KODWcrncnUU
Makes me cry every time, drips with dusty saudade as it ambles along its lonely road [:'(] [<3]
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

sangi39 wrote: 13 Jan 2019 04:18 Is anyone else watching "The Orville"?
Gawd, I wish! [:S]
Looks pretty darn funny!! But also good in a serious/coherent storytelling way, too. [:D]

A worthy Star Trek successor ? :wat:
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Lambuzhao wrote: 13 Jan 2019 17:23
sangi39 wrote: 13 Jan 2019 04:18 Is anyone else watching "The Orville"?
Gawd, I wish! [:S]
Looks pretty darn funny!! But also good in a serious/coherent storytelling way, too. [:D]

A worthy Star Trek successor ? :wat:
I'd definitely say so. It reminds me a lot of ST:TNG, but with a big dollop of funny. I think they've managed to balance the type and amount of humour with the kind of sci-fi they were aiming for as well (exploring not just space, but also various social issues). They've covered life on a generation ship (where the inhabitants don't realise they're on one), a planet being ripped apart by the expansion of its host star, another planet that phases in and out of our universe and another, 2D space, a society ruled by "upvotes" and "downvotes", the effects of relatively low gravity on an individual's health, gender issues, "cultural contamination" (I think that's actually a Star Trek term), parenting, relationships, etc. Funny, but gets you thinking as well.

A number of people who have worked on The Orville also worked in some way on various Star Trek series (mostly TNG, ENT, DS9 and VOY). For example, Brannon Braga and David Goodman are executive producers, as well as writing alongside André Bormanis, and directing with Jonathan Frakes, Robert Duncan McNeill, and James Conway. I think MacFarlane has also said in several interviews that he was a fan of Star Trek, and has managed to work with the cast of TNG several times on Family Guy and American Dad. Throw that together and you can kind of see why The Orville has a distinctly 90s/00s Star Trek feel to it.

I found that Star Trek: Discovery felt more like the more recent films (heavy lens flare, dark lighting, all about the fast action and big explosions, but in space), so if you're a fan of 90s/00s Star Trek you might end up feeling that The Orville feels more like Star Trek than the current Star Trek series.
Just one time.
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Okay, you got me interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AwhTDN9h40
:!:
Strong TNG feel + Galaxy Quest-style humor + a healthy dollop of The Planiverse {in that episode}= [<3] [<3] [<3] [<3] Must… See… Moar !!!

:mrgreen:
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

It's about time a scifi series tackles 'interacting' sort of with the Second Dimension.

Has the new series of Doctor Who ever done so?
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Lambuzhao wrote: 14 Jan 2019 05:26 Okay, you got me interested.

Strong TNG feel + Galaxy Quest-style humor + a healthy dollop of The Planiverse {in that episode}= [<3] [<3] [<3] [<3] Must… See… Moar !!!

YES! Definitely a Galaxy Quest feel to it, but I think it walks the line of sci-fi and comedy a bit better. I'd recommend it either way, and I almost never recommend TV series.

Lambuzhao wrote: 14 Jan 2019 05:31 It's about time a scifi series tackles 'interacting' sort of with the Second Dimension.

As far as I know, New Who hasn't really tackled any sort of "different number of dimensions" beyond mentioning that being the way the TARDIS being bigger on the inside works. When New Who tends to mention "dimensions" it's more along the lines of pocket universes or alternate timelines.

Oo, actually, there were the Boneless, from Capaldi's run as Twelve, but I can't remember much about them other than "3D lifeforms can't survive in a 2D form, because of course they can't".
Just one time.
lsd
greek
greek

Post by lsd »

Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

"Homecoming"

[it's annoying, though: I think Richter needs to hold back slightly in a few places that I think he rushes through too quickly... but in every other respect he's so much better than any other recording that once you've heard his version it's hard to tolerate all the others...]
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Just one time.
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

sangi39 wrote: 15 Jan 2019 01:24
Lambuzhao wrote: 14 Jan 2019 05:26 Okay, you got me interested.

YES! Definitely a Galaxy Quest feel to it, but I think it walks the line of sci-fi and comedy a bit better. I'd recommend it either way, and I almost never recommend TV series.

Lambuzhao wrote: 14 Jan 2019 05:31 It's about time a scifi series tackles 'interacting' sort of with the Second Dimension.

As far as I know, New Who hasn't really tackled any sort of "different number of dimensions" beyond mentioning that being the way the TARDIS being bigger on the inside works. When New Who tends to mention "dimensions" it's more along the lines of pocket universes or alternate timelines.

Oo, actually, there were the Boneless, from Capaldi's run as Twelve, but I can't remember much about them other than "3D lifeforms can't survive in a 2D form, because of course they can't".
[Tom Baker as The Curator, knowlingly] Who of all people would've tackled this?
[:P] [:3]
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

lsd wrote: 16 Jan 2019 20:25 on the road again
find in yourself the measurement of the whole universe…
I had been on a tour of England and Wales with my College Choir, the "Ca the Yowes" Tour of 1990, and we were cramped in a tour bus being silly, and someone took a pic of me contorted into almost the same pose, but with what looks like me crawling out from out of the triangle of my legs. Very M.C. Escher!

Heia…
Oh, to have that pic once more!
Oh oh, to be able to contort like that once more!
Oh, Ca those yowes once more
from flinty Bishhopstœn strands of yore!
Bend back to years that I adored~

Heia…
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

lsd wrote: 26 Jan 2019 22:17 ]best place to find names
[+1]

Nueb nuwodoa Zardoz nu niddumaosanè Zorætaryateu Gengrūlino, woθœ kuekue nu vēɂuzæk.
NEG=ADV NEG.REL.INAN.ABL.SG <Wizard of Oz>NOM.SG NEG give<PLUP>3SG chop<NMLZ>DAT.SG tin<ADJZ> REL.INAN.GEN.SG NEG have.IMPFT.3SG

Oz never did give nothin' to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uJL8er_tV0

[;)]
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien »

I've been listening to examples of vocal fry after we had a discussion about it one of my linguistics classes. It's commonly associated with young women and especially the "California" accent (which I do have to some degree. Recently I heard myself say the word "what" and it came out as [wʌɪʔ])! I think people's voices do go into that register sometimes (I'm sure mine does), but some people seem to talk that way all the time and I don't know why.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

I've just finished watching "Waiting For Godot" (after having somehow managed to get by without watching it for 12 years after my A-Level English Language teacher told us all to watch it if we would), and, honestly, I do have to wonder, is this a play that's open to at least some sort of interpretation? Some of it seems fairly "anti-class" (obviously the Pozzo/Lucky scenes, in which I'd assume Gogo and Didi represent the working classes, just educated enough to get by, not educated enough to think as the upper close would, just outside the upper class to not recognise them, while Lucky had the opportunity, through contact, to educate himself), but then a fair amount does seem plain Absurdist, at least as far as I understand it (waiting for something that will never come [in this case meaning/God/meaning within the class structure], the repetitive cycle of day-in-day-out same-old-same-old, the refusal to give in to physical suicide because they thought about it before giving in to it, the fact that Godot never comes, etc.), but I get the feeling I'm not understanding it fully, like something went over my head.

"We'll hang ourselves tomorrow, unless Godot comes" is a line I', not sure about. Like, are they holding off on suicide until they find meaning, or are they accepting meaninglessness? Personally, it looks like the latter, until "pull on your trousers" which is mundane as hell pops up. So is it both, or neither? Is that the point?
Just one time.