How Can One Begin a Religion?

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
GoshDiggityDangit
sinic
sinic

How Can One Begin a Religion?

Post by GoshDiggityDangit »

Hello friends! A couple of months ago, I had a very strange dream which I have interpreted to be a religious revelation. Recently it has been on my mind again. I believe I should begin a religion. Are there anythings I should set out to write down/think about before I begin telling my friends about this? Thank you for reading.
"Coffee is an azimuthal polar map that you to map back to a sphere and then you can map it to any projection you desire."
http://catran.cailab.net/wordpress/
GoshDiggityDangit
sinic
sinic

Re: How Can One Begin a Religion?

Post by GoshDiggityDangit »

I just want to clarify that I am being 100% serious.
"Coffee is an azimuthal polar map that you to map back to a sphere and then you can map it to any projection you desire."
http://catran.cailab.net/wordpress/
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

To be frank, I don't know that the CBB is the proper forum for this kind of question. We'd prefer to keep discussions of religion within the context of concultures.
Torco
sinic
sinic

Post by Torco »

read up on the history of cults, and try not to start one. that is to say, no lovebombing, no shady financial stuff, no utopian camps were people are terrorized into staying, no requirements to cut off ties with family and friends, and so on. I don't know what healthy religions do, since all I see of them are trying to take away people's rights, to regress social progress and to shame people into having less control over their lives, and coopt important moments in people's lives -such as death of loved ones- into opportunities for indoctrination (which I find apalling), but I hear good religious people give each other community, sing nice songs and give poor people clothes or whatever. I'd aim to focus on that.
Khemehekis
runic
runic

Post by Khemehekis »

If you want to start a religion, this wikibook may be a good place to start:

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Conreligion
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 72,500 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Torco wrote: 09 Mar 2021 16:11 read up on the history of cults, and try not to start one. that is to say, no lovebombing, no shady financial stuff, no utopian camps were people are terrorized into staying, no requirements to cut off ties with family and friends, and so on. I don't know what healthy religions do, since all I see of them are trying to take away people's rights, to regress social progress and to shame people into having less control over their lives, and coopt important moments in people's lives -such as death of loved ones- into opportunities for indoctrination (which I find apalling), but I hear good religious people give each other community, sing nice songs and give poor people clothes or whatever. I'd aim to focus on that.
Pretty strange religions, those. But I do agree about the cult bit.

Khemehekis wrote: 09 Mar 2021 16:40 If you want to start a religion, this wikibook may be a good place to start:

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Conreligion
I didn't read it (yet). Is that about making a real world religion, which is what I gather the OP is contemplating; or is that about making a fictional religion, which is actually on topic here!
Khemehekis
runic
runic

Post by Khemehekis »

elemtilas wrote: 10 Mar 2021 05:15 I didn't read it (yet). Is that about making a real world religion, which is what I gather the OP is contemplating; or is that about making a fictional religion, which is actually on topic here!
It's mainly about creating conreligions. It does, however, provide a good introduction to the basics of religion, so it would be useful to GoshDiggityDangit. Speaking of which, I think I'll believe in Gosh instead of God. If you don't believe in Gosh as well, you'll be Danged to the Hot Diggity Place.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 72,500 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!