Posting an image

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
tikoo
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Posting an image

Post by tikoo »

How to post an image? I see the posting button. Click. Nothing much happens: no relation to the image source.
Titus Flavius
sinic
sinic

Re: Posting an image

Post by Titus Flavius »

You must put the image somewhere in the internet, then put the link to it in

Code: Select all

[img][/img]
, for example
Spoiler:
ω - near-close near-back unrounded vowel.
XIPA
:pol: :mrgreen:
:eng: [:)]
:esp: [:S]
:lat: [:'(]
tikoo
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by tikoo »

That is arkward. Many formats do not require this and will accept the image direct from my computer. Why not upgrade?
Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

php is very old software based on HTML, and it isnt possible to simply upgrade it to make it allow object layer embedding or whatever it's called (sorry, I always confuse OLE with something else). it took quite a long time for them to even allow emojis, since traditionally the entire page would be unparseable in php if it contained even one unprintable character. likewise, note that phpBB still does not have any difference in appearance between mobile and desktop UI's .... the current appearance is a compromise between the traditional desktop-oriented UI and the mobile UI's of various phone apps.

that said, i havent been able to post images lately, and Ive mentioned it twice, but only in the threads where I was trying to post them, not in a standalone thread like this. could someone confirm if it is possible to load an image remotely, rather than just posting a link? You all have been nice about clicking the links, but it's really not as eye-catching when I have just a link showing instead of the image it's intended to be.

for example,
renders properly on the ZBB board but not here. i assume you either turned off all outside img links except for a few "known good" sites like Wikipedia, or there is something else going on that not even the board administrators would be able to figure out ..... something similar happened on the ZBB a few years back and then the board went down shortly afterwards .... though those two events may have been unrelated. all i remember is the perception that storage space was running out.
Fafa žayas šifap tanaba.
The wind combs the hair of the unkempt. (Play)
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

Pabappa wrote: 12 Oct 2021 00:06that said, i havent been able to post images lately, and Ive mentioned it twice, but only in the threads where I was trying to post them, not in a standalone thread like this. could someone confirm if it is possible to load an image remotely, rather than just posting a link? You all have been nice about clicking the links, but it's really not as eye-catching when I have just a link showing instead of the image it's intended to be.

for example,
renders properly on the ZBB board but not here. i assume you either turned off all outside img links except for a few "known good" sites like Wikipedia, or there is something else going on that not even the board administrators would be able to figure out ..... something similar happened on the ZBB a few years back and then the board went down shortly afterwards .... though those two events may have been unrelated. all i remember is the perception that storage space was running out.
The CBB does not support file attachments, so images must be hosted externally and embedded using a URL. To my knowledge, this embedding method works most of the time.

Regarding your image issue, I notice that you've mainly attempted to embed images hosted on your own domain, so it's possible there's some problem specific to how your web host and the CBB interact. Generally, when someone has had difficulty embedding images here, it's because the host doesn't allow embedding, but that would've caused them problems on any website, not just the CBB.
tikoo
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by tikoo »

I have success posting images from source on all other sites. Not many, just all. Why no upgrade to standard?
tikoo
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by tikoo »

Never mind. I'm able to post an image to another site and it will have an address.
Ossicone
vice admin
vice admin

Post by Ossicone »

The problem here is not the forum or PHP. It is due to the image being from an insecure (no ssl certificate) website. Images from secure websites work without issue.

Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

all right, thank you .... yeah, my web host is great, but they're a bit behind the times on this whole SSL thing ... I can get it, but I'd have to pay extra. Trips me up sometimes too because I think browsers are starting to autocomplete "http" into "https" and I dont have that yet.
Fafa žayas šifap tanaba.
The wind combs the hair of the unkempt. (Play)
Ossicone
vice admin
vice admin

Post by Ossicone »

Depending on how tech savvy you are and how much control your host allows, you may be able to use something like https://certifytheweb.com/ to get a free ssl certificate.