Relocation Advice Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Man in Space
roman
roman

Relocation Advice Thread

Post by Man in Space »

I am looking to relocate in mid-to-late 2022. For reference, I’m in the Cleveland area right now. Depending on job availability and cost of living, I am considering the following areas in decreasing order of preference:

- Alaska (Anchorage > Fairbanks > Kodiak > Ketchikan)
- NYC (most emphatically not Manhattan)
- Las Vegas
- Somewhere in central or Southern California

(The latter two options are on the table in large part because I have family there, but are dispreferred in favor of the former two.)

The problem is I’m 30 and, aside from college, I’ve always lived with my family. Anybody have any ideas/advice on how to go about this? Anybody live in either of these areas and have any guidance specific to those locales?

I would most likely be bringing a dog with me, if that changes anything.
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
CT = Classical Ĝate n Tim Ar
Kg = Kgáweq'
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
PTO = Proto-Tim Ar-O
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Re: Relocation Advice Thread

Post by eldin raigmore »

Good luck! I hope your new place (wherever you decide it will be) turns out to be interesting!
Ossicone
vice admin
vice admin

Re: Relocation Advice Thread

Post by Ossicone »

Have you visited NYC before? I lived there for several years while I was in uni. I absolutely love the city but it is not for everyone. It is also a far cry from your first option of Alaska.

My opinion is that NYC is the best option on the list. There is always something going on and something to do.
The main downside is cost of living - it is expensive, although not as bad outside of Manhattan. Also, I'm east coast person so I found the general atmosphere easy to get used to.

I don't know how difficult it is to find housing that allows dogs as I didn't have a pet at the time. But I did see tons of people walking dogs so it must not be too rare.