Making Fonts for Things Which Are Not Phonetic (ish)

If you're new to these arts, this is the place to ask "stupid" questions and get directions!
stormcloud
rupestrian
rupestrian

Making Fonts for Things Which Are Not Phonetic (ish)

Post by stormcloud »

I have found many different programs/applications that would allow me to print out some form of template, fill it in with my characters, scan it, and use the image to create a font. This is great, but...I need something a little more complex. Is there any program that would 1) let me create hundreds, maybe thousands of characters (think Chinese), 2) give me a way to type them easily rather than select them from a list (again thinking of Chinese)? I've looked at FontCreator, which is absolutely fantastic and frankly just about perfect...except that I have to buy it.
1st language: English (American)
Learning: French
Dabbling in: Japanese, Welsh, Romanian
Creating: Shyncan, Intergrafix
Jarhead
cuneiform
cuneiform

Re: Making Fonts for Things Which Are Not Phonetic (ish)

Post by Jarhead »

One of this board's users, fiziwig if I remember well, created a beautiful piece of software that let's you create any number of gliphs. It lets you export them as pictures rather than fonts but it could be useful to you anyways. I don't remember where to find the software or its name (glyphcreator? glyphmaker?) but you could contact fiziwig and ask.
L1: :ita:
Fluent (on a good day): :eng:
Written: :lat:
Beginner: :esp:
Working on: :con: ~ Eil
xijlwya
sinic
sinic

Post by xijlwya »

Glyphmaker can still be found here:
Glyphmaker II
Glyphmaker III
stormcloud
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by stormcloud »

:D Thank you very much!

Once the glyphs are made, though, is there a way to type them, or do I have to resort to copy-and-pasting/click-and-dragging?
1st language: English (American)
Learning: French
Dabbling in: Japanese, Welsh, Romanian
Creating: Shyncan, Intergrafix
teh_Foxx0rz
sinic
sinic

Post by teh_Foxx0rz »

I guess if you were somehow able to create some kind of IME like Chinese uses, but I don't myself know of any software to do this...
CMunk
greek
greek

Post by CMunk »

My favourite free font creation software is http://fontstruct.com!

It is modular, which makes it very easy to use. Of course this also gives it some limits, but they can be worked around in creative ways.

It makes .ttf-files, that are compatible with basically any program you'd want to use it in. It also has wide unicode support (although not CJK). All characters may not be easily typed, but I think it's weighed up by the pros.
Native: :dan: | Fluent: :uk: | Less than fluent: :deu:, :jpn:, :epo: | Beginner: Image, :fao:, :non:
Creating: :con:Jwar Nong, :con:Mhmmz