On making a conscript that doesn't suck.

If you're new to these arts, this is the place to ask "stupid" questions and get directions!
Man in Space
roman
roman

Re: On making a conscript that doesn't suck.

Post by Man in Space »

Bob wrote: 21 Jul 2020 08:09Especially logographic conscripts are extremely lame. But a lot of things that I look for in logographic writing systems, I discovered within the past 15 years. It's all these little things that nobody even knows to look for.
I am aware this is an opinion, but I take offense to that. I worked hard (with the generous input of others) to make Caber, and having seen other logographic scripts (particularly clawgrip’s), I would not want to throw them all in the dustbin as “lame” by inherent quality—to say nothing of conscripts in general.

Perhaps you, with your degree in linguistics, find no enjoyment in them. I, with my degree, do (as do many others, in various states of having, working towards, or lacking degrees). Please don’t decry an entire subfield of the art just because it’s not, strictly speaking, as intricately made as in real life.
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
CT = Classical Ĝare n Tim Ar
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
Bob
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Bob »

Linguifex wrote: 23 Jul 2020 02:19 ...
You just read what I wrote the wrong way. I didn't mean it like that. I think I was just replying to the original post and none of the others. I don't remember seeing your conscript before I replied to this post. I think I missed something, then. I notice on Conlang Bulletin Board and Zompist Bboard that posts will have interesting prompts or concepts but then go on for 10 pages and I don't have time to read all that. So I've been trying to make clear that my reply is only to the initial and post subject topic.

The point of my reply is that I specialize in conscripts and logographic writing systems and that most people really just scratch the tip of the iceberg. I did say that I almost always have to humor people who do logographic conscripts - meaning that I am not so rigorous with them as most conlangers are with me when I post my own conlangs and conscripts. My point is that different conlangers should be allowed to have different priorities.
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

Bob wrote: 21 Jul 2020 08:09But a lot of things that I look for in logographic writing systems, I discovered within the past 15 years. It's all these little things that nobody even knows to look for.
The point of my reply is that I specialize in conscripts and logographic writing systems and that most people really just scratch the tip of the iceberg.
Please give examples of some of the little things that nobody even knows to look for, leading them to create writing systems that only scratch the tip of the iceberg.
Especially logographic conscripts are extremely lame.
...when I post my own conlangs and conscripts.
Please post some of your own writing systems, explaining how they transcend other people's "lame" writing systems.
Nobody gets writing systems as well as I have.
If that's the case, I'm expecting some game-changing info here.
Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

Linguifex wrote: 23 Jul 2020 02:19 I am aware this is an opinion, but I take offense to that. I worked hard (with the generous input of others) to make Caber,
i keep forgetting youre the one who created the Caber logograms ... i know i asked this before, but i think i lost track of it .... since the original thread got deleted, do you have them all collected anywhere online at the moment? Thanks.
Kavunupupis, šiŋuputata.
When I see you pointing at me, I know I'm in trouble. (Play)
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Pabappa wrote: 01 Aug 2020 12:24 i keep forgetting youre the one who created the Caber logograms ... i know i asked this before, but i think i lost track of it .... since the original thread got deleted, do you have them all collected anywhere online at the moment? Thanks.
The original thread wasn't deleted, it's here.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

Khemehekis wrote: 01 Aug 2020 13:55
Pabappa wrote: 01 Aug 2020 12:24 i keep forgetting youre the one who created the Caber logograms ... i know i asked this before, but i think i lost track of it .... since the original thread got deleted, do you have them all collected anywhere online at the moment? Thanks.
Thanks but I must have seen something else at some point, .... in fact, that's apparently the thread in which I asked where it had all gone. Perhaps Im just mistaken?? I thought he had a website with everything all in one place.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Pabappa wrote: 01 Aug 2020 15:17
Khemehekis wrote: 01 Aug 2020 13:55
Thanks but I must have seen something else at some point, .... in fact, that's apparently the thread in which I asked where it had all gone. Perhaps Im just mistaken?? I thought he had a website with everything all in one place.
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
masako
mayan
mayan

Post by masako »

clawgrip wrote: 01 Aug 2020 11:44
Bob wrote: 21 Jul 2020 08:09But a lot of things that I look for in logographic writing systems, I discovered within the past 15 years. It's all these little things that nobody even knows to look for.
The point of my reply is that I specialize in conscripts and logographic writing systems and that most people really just scratch the tip of the iceberg.
Please give examples of some of the little things that nobody even knows to look for, leading them to create writing systems that only scratch the tip of the iceberg.
Especially logographic conscripts are extremely lame.
...when I post my own conlangs and conscripts.
Please post some of your own writing systems, explaining how they transcend other people's "lame" writing systems.
Nobody gets writing systems as well as I have.
If that's the case, I'm expecting some game-changing info here.
I would very much enjoy reading answers to these astoundingly interesting questions. I'm eager to learn how I might improve my horribly lame writing systems so that they may one day reach the exulted heights described by (checks notes), Bob.
g

o

n

e
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

Bob wrote: 01 Aug 2020 05:08 ...
I'm still hoping to see some concrete answers to the questions I posed above, while keeping in mind the advice given by sangi39 and Salmoneus elsewhere on the board.
masako
mayan
mayan

Post by masako »

clawgrip wrote: 24 Aug 2020 00:19
Bob wrote: 01 Aug 2020 05:08 ...
I'm still hoping to see some concrete answers to the questions I posed above, while keeping in mind the advice given by sangi39 and Salmoneus elsewhere on the board.
I fear that we may be forced to entrust the waiting to subsequent generations.
g

o

n

e
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

Bob wrote: 21 Jul 2020 08:09 ...
Hey Bob, I'm just responding here because I thought maybe you missed my reply, so I'm just checking in.

I'd really like it if you could provide us with some concrete examples of some of the little things about logographic scripts that nobody even knows to look for. As someone who has designed more than one logographic script, I would appreciate specific and concrete insight and examples that might help me to improve my work, from someone with as much knowledge and experience as you have said you have in that field.

Awaiting your reply.
Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

Hey, clawgrip, do you mind if I add to this thread a bit? I’ve recently acquired a fascinating book that may have some relevant things to add.
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
CT = Classical Ĝare n Tim Ar
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
Torco
sinic
sinic

Post by Torco »

oh come on, most works of art are so so, it shouldn't be a surprise of if conscripts followed this trend too. take the latin alphabet; lame overall, but it has a vast history, different ways to write it which mean different things, uppercase and lowercase which is funky af, cursive, a bunch of letters reversed one with respect to the other, which gives it a feeling of use and age (which it has ofc). it had evolved some hands that use descenders and ascenders, it has commonly used ligatures, the concept of an em height. italics and bold, those are all things of the sort that would make a conscript just amazing, but alas many conscripts, mine included, are barely lists of glyphs. a good logogram for example would have a lot of rebus used in funny, idiosyncratic ways, compounds with embedded compounds that work like semantic or phonetic determiners themselves, different radicals for the same thing that were favoured in different ages (so "stone rhymes with ball" for wall but "boulder rhymes with soylent" for monument or something, such that stone and boulder are just roots that mean mineral or rocky but one was more common in the glarb dynasty of something)
lsd
greek
greek

Post by lsd »

Man in Space wrote: 23 Jun 2021 00:22 I’ve recently acquired a fascinating book
what is it...
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

You can post whatever you like...this is not my thread. (this is).