What would this type of verb be called?

If you're new to these arts, this is the place to ask "stupid" questions and get directions!
Davush
greek
greek

What would this type of verb be called?

Post by Davush »

I have a set of verbs which are used only in conjunction with another verb, and both verbs refer to the same subject. They have their own morphology which is a bit different from 'regular' verbs:

xuni-, nagga-, wāḥi-, dara-, pūdu-, xǝši-
to want, to hope, to try, to ask, to begin, to finish

They are used with a verb in the non-past, but person is marked on the 'pseudo verb'.

xuni-n kaqqa
want-1SG go.NON.PAST
'I want to go'

xǝši-k čǝrra
finish-2SG eat.NON.PAST
'You have finished eating'

I feel like there are more verbs which I want to add to this category, but I'm not sure what is unifying them, other than they appear in a kind of serial-verb construction.

Any comments/help welcome! Thanks.
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Re: What would this type of verb be called?

Post by gestaltist »

Auxiliary verbs, I think.
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

If these auxilliary verbs (for that is what they are) only ever appear with main verbs in the non-past and minus their person marking, then it's probably better saying that these auxilliaries take unmarked verbs as their complements (assuming of course that the non-past is somehow unmarked compared to the past: if the two are shown by differences in stem then it probably is better to call the main verbs "non-past"). This saves on glossing space not having to write NON.PST each time (and that is a lengthy abbreviation: NPST is better imv).
Davush
greek
greek

Post by Davush »

Thanks both. I was hesitant to call them auxiliaries because they aren't just used for TAM purposes. I might allow the main verb to take limited TAM marking, so the 'auxiliaries' do have semantic (lexical?) information. Maybe semi-auxiliaries or pseudo-auxiliaries?
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

Davush wrote:Thanks both. I was hesitant to call them auxiliaries because they aren't just used for TAM purposes. I might allow the main verb to take limited TAM marking, so the 'auxiliaries' do have semantic (lexical?) information. Maybe semi-auxiliaries or pseudo-auxiliaries?
I think that's overkill. You can reinterpret each of these as having strictly TAM-related meanings*, and also, it's better to be clear than to be super-exact, IMO.

*want = desiderative mood
hope = optative mood
try = conative mood
ask = hortative mood
begin = inchoative aspect
finish = terminative aspect
masako
mayan
mayan

Post by masako »

gestaltist wrote:finish = terminative aspect
This could also be perfective, depending.
g

o

n

e
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

masako wrote:
gestaltist wrote:finish = terminative aspect
This could also be perfective, depending.
Sure. Most of these could be reinterpreted differently. The point is: there's no reason to not see these verbs as auxiliary.