Is it correct for the rules of this voice alternations?

If you're new to these arts, this is the place to ask "stupid" questions and get directions!
wyl118
rupestrian
rupestrian

Is it correct for the rules of this voice alternations?

Post by wyl118 »

Hi guys! I'm a graduate student from Korea. I'm doing some practice about assimilation but I don't know if it is correct.

Here is the question:
twelve twelfth
eight eighth
ten tenth

And this is my answer based on the book A Course in Phonology p54:

underlying level: twel[v]th eigh[t]th te[n]th

rules:
"voicelesslization" f NA NA

phonetic level: twel[f]th eigh[t]th te[n]th

I really have no idea whether this is right. Can you guys help me a little? Thanks in advance!

shimobaatar
korean
korean

Re: Is it correct for the rules of this voice alternations?

Post by shimobaatar »

The situation in "twelfth" is an instance of voicing assimilation. For "eighth" and "tenth", I'd describe it as place assimilation, with /t/ and /n/ becoming dental before /θ/.

Ser
sinic
sinic
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia / Colombie Britannique, Canada

Post by Ser »

wyl118 wrote:
20 Mar 2020 10:43
"voicelesslization"
The suffixes involved are -ize and -ation, so you should think of terms such as palatalization as palatal-iz-ation ((pal- + -ate + -al) + -ize + -ation), and nasalization as nasal-iz-ation ((nas- + -al) + -ize + -ation). Regardless, the correct term for the loss of voicing is "devoicing".

In twelve + -th = twelfth /twɛlfθ/ [tʰw̥ɛlfθ], /v/ undergoes devoicing to /f/ [f] because of regressive assimilation (or "anticipatory" assimilation, if you will) from the following /θ/.

In eight + -th = eighth /eɪtθ/ [eɪt̪θ], as mentioned by shimobaatar, /t/ [t] becomes dental [t̪] because of regressive assimilation for place of articulation from the following dental /θ/. This doesn't affect the phonemic representation, but there's a phonetic change in there (an allophone).

In ten + -th > tenth /tɛnθ/ [tʰɛn̪θ] (or [tʰɛn̪t̪θ]), you see the same thing as with "eighth" (except possibly with an epenthetic [t̪], but this is likely irrelevant for your homework).

An example of regressive assimilation for mode of articulation in Korean (as in the devoicing of "twelfth") would be the stem-final consonant of 뒤쫓다 dwijjotda 'to chase after sth'. Notice the difference between the original /tɕ/ [tɕ ~ dʑ] in 뒤쫓음 /twitɕ͈oɯm/ [tʰwitɕ͈oɯm] and the assimilated versions of it in 뒤쫓기 /twitɕ͈otɕki/ [tʰwitɕ͈otki] (where ㅈ /tɕ/ becomes like ㄷ before ㄱ by losing its original emphasis and released sound) and 뒤쫓는다 /twitɕ͈otɕnɯnta/ [tʰwitɕ͈oɯnda] (where ㅈ /tɕ/ becomes like ㄴ before ㄴ by undergoing nasalization and voicing in a full assimilation to that following ㄴ /n/).
Last edited by Ser on 21 Mar 2020 18:25, edited 1 time in total.
hīc sunt linguificēs. hēr bēoþ tungemakeras.

wyl118
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by wyl118 »

Thank you guys for the detailed information! Thank you even for the assimilation example of Korean language! [:)]