Database software reccomendations?

If you're new to these arts, this is the place to ask "stupid" questions and get directions!
s0200311
rupestrian
rupestrian

Database software reccomendations?

Post by s0200311 »

I am a student who is on a chromebook so I cannot use excel, sadly. I would use google sheets, but it lacks some of the capabilities I want: Search bars that will take out the rows that do not include search terms, something dictionary like? I don't know. I just know I cannot use sheets.

I am new here. I have attempted inventing 3 languages before, but without an accurate database I have failed. :mrred:
kiwikami
roman
roman
Location: Oh, I don't know, I'm probably around here somewhere.

Re: Database software reccomendations?

Post by kiwikami »

I've had success with Lexique Pro before, which is very dictionary-like, though I don't recall what its searching capabilites are exactly (I moved later to an OpenOffice spreadsheet-based lexicon, which sounds like the opposite of what you're looking for). Lexique is free and a little clunky in the interface sometimes, but it's good for making detailed entries for individual words/morphemes.
Edit: Substituted a string instrument for a French interjection.

:eng: :mrgreen: | :fra: [:)] | ASL [:S] | :deu: [:|] | :tan: [:(] | :nav: [:'(]
Sequor
sinic
sinic

Post by Sequor »

s0200311 wrote: 26 Apr 2021 18:07 I am a student who is on a chromebook so I cannot use excel, sadly. I would use google sheets, but it lacks some of the capabilities I want: Search bars that will take out the rows that do not include search terms, something dictionary like? I don't know. I just know I cannot use sheets.

I am new here. I have attempted inventing 3 languages before, but without an accurate database I have failed. :mrred:
These days I only do plain text files, using a good text editor (say, Notepad++ on Windows), if you can believe it. I just use "punctuation" (well, markup) that makes searching easier. For example:

Code: Select all

:: mbil ;;
  vi. <brag>, <boast> [ne: about something]
  vi. <be content> [ne: with one's own efforts]
  {speech}{value}
This way, if I want to search a meaning, I just use Ctrl+F with the kind of word I'd use in a gloss, so, <brag>. And I also try to tag words for semantic fields, in this case {speech} (referring to speech acts, like "conversation", "yell") and {value} (referring to words involving evaluation, like "love" and "dislike"). "[ne:" here means that the following information inside the brackets is added with the preposition "ne".

With the double colon and semicolon surrounding the headword, I can also search for words beginning or ending in a certain sound, say, if I want all words ending in -il, I just do a search for "il ;;".

I don't know what text editors you have access to in a Chromebook. In theory you could do it in Google Docs though, but text editors are nicer due to being faster at what they do, as opposed to a full-blown very visual document editor. EDIT: This article gives 10 text editors you can install in it.
hīc sunt linguificēs. hēr bēoþ tungemakeras.
s0200311
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by s0200311 »

These days I only do plain text files, using a good text editor (say, Notepad++ on Windows), if you can believe it. I just use "punctuation" (well, markup) that makes searching easier. For example:
That's a good idea! I think I will try that.
Marduk
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Marduk »

Check in the “office” section. I know there are a few that does not require install.

https://portableapps.com/apps/office/
Gehrman
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Gehrman »

One option is LibreOffice Calc, which is a free and open-source spreadsheet program that is similar to Microsoft Excel. It has many of the same features as Excel, including search and filtering capabilities, and it can run on Chromebooks. Another option is OpenOffice Calc, which is also a free and open-source spreadsheet program.

As for creating a language database, there are several tools available that may be helpful. One option is SIL FieldWorks Language Explorer, which is a software suite designed for language documentation and analysis. It includes tools for creating lexicons, interlinear glosses, crm data enrichment, and other linguistic data. Another option is FLEx, which is a similar program also developed by SIL.