Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

A forum for game threads.
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP
Posts: 1974
Joined: 19 Sep 2011 19:37

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by Salmoneus »

spanick wrote:
24 Jan 2020 23:23
Salmoneus wrote:
24 Jan 2020 22:19
Is it something like "scribe" or "clerk"? [i.e. a word drudge]
No.
Oh yeah, sorry, missed the whole 'not a noun phrase' thing...

"to become a slave/servant"?

User avatar
spanick
roman
roman
Posts: 1196
Joined: 11 May 2017 01:47
Location: California

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by spanick »

Salmoneus wrote:
25 Jan 2020 03:02
spanick wrote:
24 Jan 2020 23:23
Salmoneus wrote:
24 Jan 2020 22:19
Is it something like "scribe" or "clerk"? [i.e. a word drudge]
No.
Oh yeah, sorry, missed the whole 'not a noun phrase' thing...

"to become a slave/servant"?
No.

I should point out that like in German, infinitives are usually cited with the object before the verb.

User avatar
Pabappa
sinic
sinic
Posts: 408
Joined: 18 Nov 2017 02:41
Contact:

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by Pabappa »

spanick wrote:
16 Jan 2020 06:44
Weddisch
wúrd drúge
wild guess probably wrong but the first thing i thought of when i saw it ...

to cheat fate, to escape, to get lucky

from proto-Germanic roots https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Reconstr ... nic/wurdiz and https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Reconstr ... ugan%C4%85 (the first one, not the second)
I'll take the theses, and you can have the thoses.

User avatar
spanick
roman
roman
Posts: 1196
Joined: 11 May 2017 01:47
Location: California

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by spanick »

Pabappa wrote:
25 Jan 2020 06:15
spanick wrote:
16 Jan 2020 06:44
Weddisch
wúrd drúge
wild guess probably wrong but the first thing i thought of when i saw it ...

to cheat fate, to escape, to get lucky

from proto-Germanic roots https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Reconstr ... nic/wurdiz and https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Reconstr ... ugan%C4%85 (the first one, not the second)
No, but you’re on the right track. And wúrd does descend from *wurdiz.

shimobaatar
korean
korean
Posts: 7470
Joined: 12 Jul 2013 23:09
Location: PA → IN

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by shimobaatar »

spanick wrote:
24 Jan 2020 03:12
Is this too difficult or are people just not particularly interested at the moment?
Ah, sorry. Life and all that…

Does it mean something like "to suffer/endure a fate"?

User avatar
spanick
roman
roman
Posts: 1196
Joined: 11 May 2017 01:47
Location: California

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by spanick »

shimobaatar wrote:
25 Jan 2020 17:15
Does it mean something like "to suffer/endure a fate"?
More or less, yes.

shimobaatar
korean
korean
Posts: 7470
Joined: 12 Jul 2013 23:09
Location: PA → IN

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by shimobaatar »

spanick wrote:
25 Jan 2020 21:12
shimobaatar wrote:
25 Jan 2020 17:15
Does it mean something like "to suffer/endure a fate"?
More or less, yes.
Is the intended meaning more specific or less specific, if that makes sense?

User avatar
spanick
roman
roman
Posts: 1196
Joined: 11 May 2017 01:47
Location: California

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by spanick »

shimobaatar wrote:
30 Jan 2020 03:18
spanick wrote:
25 Jan 2020 21:12
shimobaatar wrote:
25 Jan 2020 17:15
Does it mean something like "to suffer/endure a fate"?
More or less, yes.
Is the intended meaning more specific or less specific, if that makes sense?
Sorry, I should have been more clear that I think that is an acceptable answer. haha

I would actually gloss it as "accept (one's) fate."

shimobaatar
korean
korean
Posts: 7470
Joined: 12 Jul 2013 23:09
Location: PA → IN

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by shimobaatar »

spanick wrote:
30 Jan 2020 03:23
shimobaatar wrote:
30 Jan 2020 03:18
spanick wrote:
25 Jan 2020 21:12
shimobaatar wrote:
25 Jan 2020 17:15
Does it mean something like "to suffer/endure a fate"?
More or less, yes.
Is the intended meaning more specific or less specific, if that makes sense?
Sorry, I should have been more clear that I think that is an acceptable answer. haha

I would actually gloss it as "accept (one's) fate."
Oh, haha, my mistake! I'll try to have something soon.

Another interesting word/phrase, by the way!

shimobaatar
korean
korean
Posts: 7470
Joined: 12 Jul 2013 23:09
Location: PA → IN

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by shimobaatar »

Sorry for the wait!

Language: Lemovian
Word: fonbärgazga
IPA: [ˈfôːmbɛ́rˌgàzgá]

User avatar
spanick
roman
roman
Posts: 1196
Joined: 11 May 2017 01:47
Location: California

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by spanick »

shimobaatar wrote:
11 Feb 2020 20:41
Sorry for the wait!

Language: Lemovian
Word: fonbärgazga
IPA: [ˈfôːmbɛ́rˌgàzgá]
This looks interesting! Is it a noun?

shimobaatar
korean
korean
Posts: 7470
Joined: 12 Jul 2013 23:09
Location: PA → IN

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by shimobaatar »

spanick wrote:
12 Feb 2020 02:37
shimobaatar wrote:
11 Feb 2020 20:41
Sorry for the wait!

Language: Lemovian
Word: fonbärgazga
IPA: [ˈfôːmbɛ́rˌgàzgá]
This looks interesting! Is it a noun?
Thank you!

It is a noun. [tick]

User avatar
spanick
roman
roman
Posts: 1196
Joined: 11 May 2017 01:47
Location: California

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by spanick »

Can it’s morphemes be broken up fon-bärg-azga?

shimobaatar
korean
korean
Posts: 7470
Joined: 12 Jul 2013 23:09
Location: PA → IN

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by shimobaatar »

spanick wrote:
13 Feb 2020 00:57
Can it’s morphemes be broken up fon-bärg-azga?
[tick]

User avatar
spanick
roman
roman
Posts: 1196
Joined: 11 May 2017 01:47
Location: California

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by spanick »

is the middle morpheme descended from *bergaz?

shimobaatar
korean
korean
Posts: 7470
Joined: 12 Jul 2013 23:09
Location: PA → IN

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by shimobaatar »

spanick wrote:
14 Feb 2020 19:53
is the middle morpheme descended from *bergaz?
[tick]

User avatar
Void
sinic
sinic
Posts: 303
Joined: 15 Aug 2016 16:15
Location: Taqlarmakan
Contact:

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by Void »

shimobaatar wrote:
11 Feb 2020 20:41
Sorry for the wait!

Language: Lemovian
Word: fonbärgazga
IPA: [ˈfôːmbɛ́rˌgàzgá]
Volcanic ash?

shimobaatar
korean
korean
Posts: 7470
Joined: 12 Jul 2013 23:09
Location: PA → IN

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by shimobaatar »

Void wrote:
15 Feb 2020 00:56
shimobaatar wrote:
11 Feb 2020 20:41
Sorry for the wait!

Language: Lemovian
Word: fonbärgazga
IPA: [ˈfôːmbɛ́rˌgàzgá]
Volcanic ash?
Damn, well done! That's exactly right. [tick] [tick] [tick]

User avatar
Void
sinic
sinic
Posts: 303
Joined: 15 Aug 2016 16:15
Location: Taqlarmakan
Contact:

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by Void »

Nice. Both the Gothic fon and azga gave it away.

Next: smirrhâ [ˈsmɪr̥ːaː]

User avatar
spanick
roman
roman
Posts: 1196
Joined: 11 May 2017 01:47
Location: California

Re: Guess the Word in Germanic Conlangs

Post by spanick »

Void wrote:
16 Feb 2020 00:25
Nice. Both the Gothic fon and azga gave it away.

Next: smirrhâ [ˈsmɪr̥ːaː]
Is it a verb?

Locked