phrase modifying game

A forum for game threads.
Otto Kretschmer
rupestrian
rupestrian

phrase modifying game

Post by Otto Kretschmer »

Let's see if it will stick.

One user posts a short sentence in IPA and the next one applies a single phonological, morphological or syntactic change until that sentence becomes completely unrecognizable, i.e. it could not be considered related to the first one.

I am wondering if non-English phrases should be posted as not everyone here is aware of grammar of langugas other than English. I hesitate if I should psot the first one in Polish or English but choose Polish.

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards each other in a spirit of brotherhood.

[ɔl ˈhjumən ˈbiɪŋz ɑr bɔrn fri ænd ˈikwəl ɪn ˈdɪgnəti ænd raɪts. ðeɪ ɑr ɛnˈdaʊd wɪð ˈrizən ænd ˈkɑnʃəns ænd ʃʊd ækt təˈwɔrdz iʧ ˈʌðər ɪn ə ˈspɪrət ʌv ˈbrʌðərˌhʊd]
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Re: phrase modifying game

Post by qwed117 »

Otto Kretschmer wrote: 30 Dec 2020 19:18 Let's see if it will stick.

One user posts a short sentence in IPA and the next one applies a single phonological, morphological or syntactic change until that sentence becomes completely unrecognizable, i.e. it could not be considered related to the first one.

I am wondering if non-English phrases should be posted as not everyone here is aware of grammar of langugas other than English. I hesitate if I should psot the first one in Polish or English but choose Polish.
We used to have a game like this, back a while. I think it was deleted during the server crisis earlier. (Also I believe the preference is now that more than one change happen to the sentence, to prevent clogging). Generally we provided a romanization, a gloss, and an IPA transcription.

<human beings-óll they-are bórn free ǽnd equal in dignity ǽnd rights. They-are endowed with reason ǽnd conscience and they-should act towards other-each in spirit-a of brotherhood.>

human beings-all they-are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They-are endowed with reason and conscience and they-should act towórds other-each in spirit-a of brotherhood.

[ˈhjumən ˈbiɪŋˌzɔ̯ɑl ðeɪɑr bɔ̯ɑrn fri ɛə̯nd ˈikwəl ɪn ˈdɪgnəti ɛə̯nd raɪts. ðeɪɑr ɛnˈdaʊd wɪð ˈrizən ɛə̯nd ˈkɑnʃəns ɛə̯nd ðeɪʃʊd ækt təˈwɔ̯ɑrdz ˌʌðəˈriʧ ɪn ˈspɪrətə ʌv ˈbrʌðərˌhʊd]

Rule 1: Determiners are postappended to the noun head
Rule 2: /æ/ breaks to /ɛə̯/ in various scenarios (behind m, n, d, g, v, ð, z, l codas), marked with an <ǽ>
Rule 3: Personal pronouns are preappended to all finite verb froms, while explicit pronouns are deleted where implicit marking suffices
Rule 4: /ɔ/ breaks to /ɔ̯ɑ/in various scenarios (behind ŋ, d, g, ð, r, l), marked with ó

To Mod: move to Games section?
Edit: Thanks, mod
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

<Human beings-óll they-are bórn free ǽnd equal dignity ǽnd rights-in. They-are endowed reason ǽnd conscience-with and they-should act other-each-towórds spirit-a brotherhood-of-in.>

Human beings-all they-are born free and equal dignity and rights=in. They-are endowed reason and conscience=with and they-should act other-each=towards spirit-a brotherhood=of=in.

[ˈhjuːmən ˈbiːɪŋˌzɔ̯ɑl ðeɪ̯ˈɑr ˈbɔ̯ɑrn ˈfriː ɛə̯nt ˈiːkwəl ˈdɪgnəti ɛə̯nt ˈraɪ̯tsɪn || ðeɪ̯ˈɑr ɛnˈdaʊ̯t ˈriːzən ɛə̯nt ˈkɑnʃənsˌwɪθ ɛə̯nt ðeɪ̯ˈʃʊt ˈækt ˌʌðəˈrit͡ʃtəˌwɔ̯ɑrts ˈspɪːrətə ˈbrʌːðərˌhʊdʌvˌɪn]

Rule 2: /æ/ breaks to /ɛə̯/ in various scenarios (behind m, n, d, g, v, ð, z, l codas), marked with an <ǽ>
Rule 3: Personal pronouns are preappended to all finite verb froms, while explicit pronouns are deleted where implicit marking suffices
Rule 4: /ɔ/ breaks to /ɔ̯ɑ/in various scenarios (behind ŋ, d, g, ð, r, l), marked with ó

Rule 5: Prepositions become enclitics
Rule 6: Final obstruent devoicing
Rule 7: Vowels are lengthened in open, stressed syllables
Otto Kretschmer
rupestrian
rupestrian

Anew.

UDHR is boring. I gor a better sentence

Hwaruh lokode kuningaz wezun skildiwiz isarnas bindanai midi baromiz, hwazuh hudidaz midi kalko auk blotho

ˈ[xʷɑrux 'lɔːkɔːde:ˈkuniŋɡɑz 'we;zun 'skildiwiz 'isɑrnɑs 'bindɑnɑi 'midi 'bɑromiz 'xwɑzux 'xu:didɑz 'midi 'kalkɔː 'ɑuk 'blɔːðɔː]

translation - "wherever the king looked, there were plates of iron connected to bars which were covered with chalk and blood"
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Otto Kretschmer wrote: 05 Jan 2021 00:40 Anew.

UDHR is boring. I gor a better sentence

Hwaruh lokode kuningaz wezun skildiwiz isarnas bindanai midi baromiz, hwazuh hudidaz midi kalko auk blotho

ˈ[xʷɑrux 'lɔːkɔːde:ˈkuniŋɡɑz 'we;zun 'skildiwiz 'isɑrnɑs 'bindɑnɑi 'midi 'bɑromiz 'xwɑzux 'xu:didɑz 'midi 'kalkɔː 'ɑuk 'blɔːðɔː]

translation - "wherever the king looked, there were plates of iron connected to bars which were covered with chalk and blood"
Typically we work with English sentences so that it's maximally accessible. We also generally only change the sentence once the sentence becomes clearly unrecognizable. Perhaps when that happens, you can provide this sentence, preferably with glosses.

<Hyumàn bîings-óll thé-år bórn frî ǽnt îquàl dignàtî-in ǽnt raits-in within. Thé-år endaut rîsàn-in ǽnd cånshàns-in with ǽnt thé-shut ækt ùthàr-îch-tàwórts spiràt-à-in brùthàrhut ùv.>

Human beings-all they-are born free and equal dignity=in and rights=in within. They-are endowed reason=in and conscience=in with and they-should act other-each=in towards spirit-a=in brotherhood of.

[ˈhjuːmən ˈbiːcɪi̯ŋˌzɔ̯al ðeːˈær ˈbɔ̯arn ˈfricə ɛcnt ˈiːckwəl ˈdɪi̯gnəˌtiɪi̯n ɛːcnt ˈraɪ̯tsɪi̯n wɪi̯ðɪi̯n|| ðeːˈær ɪnˈdaʊ̯t ˈriːczənɪi̯n ɛcnt ˈkænʃənˌsɪi̯n wɪi̯θ ɛːcnt ðeːˈʃʊt ˈɛkt ˌʌðəˈrit͡ʃtəˌwɔ̯arts ˈspiːrətəɪi̯n ˈbrʌːðərˌhʊt ʌv]

Rule 8: the "in" /ɪn/ enclitic becomes used as a prepositional case marker, it's original use being taken by postposition "within" /wɪðɪn/; most other enclitics become postpositions. Rule 6 devoicing still applies (ie /fordʌv/ -> /fort ʌv/)
Rule 9: Significant spelling reform results in words more closely matching their pronunciation, except the allophonic lengthening in Rule 7.
Rule 10: A chained front vowel shift shifts ɔɑ̯ > ɔa̯, forcing ɑ > æ > ɛ > ɪ > ɪi̯, {ɑː,æː} > ɛː > ɪː > iː, and iː -> iːjə -> iːcə, and ɛə -> ɛjə > ɛːcə
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

The SqwedgePad
Otto Kretschmer
rupestrian
rupestrian

Would a separate thread gor npn English phrases be a good idea?
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

No, I think this should be fine. If we really want to use a language other than English, we would simply need glosses. Regardless, we don't start anew until *after* the sentence is clearly distinct.
Spoiler:

The SqwedgePad
ɶʙ ɞʛ
greek
greek

Post by ɶʙ ɞʛ »

<Hjumàn bîings-óll; ǽ thé-år bórn fbî ǽnt îquàl dignàtî-in ǽnt baits-in bithin. Ǽ thé-år endaut bîsàn-in ǽnd cånshàns-in bith ǽnt thé-shut ækt òthàr-îch-tàbórts spiràt-à-in; ǽ bòthàrhut òv.>

[ˈdʒuːmn̩ ˈbiːcɪi̯ŋˌzɔ̯aɫ| ɛc ðeːˈæɹʷ ˈbɔ̯aɹʷn ˈfbicə n̩t ˈiːckwɫ̩ ˈdɪi̯gnəˌtiɪi̯n ɛːcnt ˈbaɪ̯tsɪi̯n bɪi̯ðɪi̯n|| ɛc ðeːˈæɹʷ ɪnˈdaʊ̯t ˈbiːczn̩ɪi̯n n̩t ˈkænʃn̩ˌsɪi̯n bɪi̯θ ɛːcn̩t ðeːˈʃʊt ˈɛkt ˌʌðɹ̩ʷˈit͡ʃtəˌbɔ̯aɹʷts ˈspiːɹʷəɾəɪi̯n| ɛc ɪi̯ˈɾɪi̯s ˈbʌːðɹ̩ʷˌhʊt ʌv]

It is assumed that the value of /r/ has remained as the normal English [ɹʷ].

əC > C̩ when C is nasal or resonant
Former "and" [ɛcn̩t] is reduced to [n̩t] with the exception of one per sentence. [ɛc] <ǽ> is used as a copula after this, referencing the initial subject. [ɪi̯ˈɾɪi̯s] (from "it is") or [ðeːˈæɹʷ] is also added in some of these cases, for later subjects.
Approximants fortite initially or in stressed syllable onset: w ɹʷ > b <b>, j > dʒ <j>, l > d <d>. Deletion of /h/ if a cluster results, and geminates simplify.
Some spelling changes to reflect this. /ʌ/ is now spelled <ò>.
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

I've reintroduced the gloss. Hopefully everything lines up properly between the text, gloss, and transcription. I've also put all the previous "rules" under a spoiler.

<Hjumàn bîings-óll; ǽ thé-år bórn fbî ǽnt îquàl dignàtî-in ǽnt baits-in bithin. Ǽ thé-år endaut bîsàn-in ǽnd cånshàns-in bith ǽnt thé-shut ækt òthàr-îch-in tàbórts spiràt-à-in bithin; ǽ it-is bòthàrhut-in òv.>

Human beings-all; COP they-are born free and equal dignity=in and rights=in within. COP they-are endowed reason=in and conscience=in with and they-should act other-each=in towards spirit-a=in within; COP it-is brotherhood=in of.

[ˈdʒuːmə̃ ˈbiːcəɪ̯ŋˌzwaɫ | ɛc ðeːˈæɹʷ ˈbwaɹʷn ˈfwicə ə̃t ˈiːkkwɵ ˈdəɪ̯gnəˌtiəɪ̯n ɛːcə̃t ˈbæɪ̯tsəɪ̯n bəɪ̯ðəɪ̯n || ɛc ðeːˈæɹʷ ɪnˈdɒʊ̯t ˈbiːdzə̃ˌəɪ̯n ə̃t ˈkænʃə̃ˌsəɪ̯n bəɪ̯θ ɛːcə̃t ðeːˈʃʊt ˈɛkt ˌʌðɵˈit͡ʃəɪ̯n təˈbwaɹʷts ˈspiːɹʷəɾəˌəɪ̯n bəɪ̯ðəɪ̯n | ɛc əɪ̯ˈɾəɪ̯s ˈbʌːðɵˌhʊtəɪ̯n ʌv]
Spoiler:

Rule 8: the "in" /ɪn/ enclitic becomes used as a prepositional case marker, it's original use being taken by postposition "within" /wɪðɪn/; most other enclitics become postpositions. Rule 6 devoicing still applies (ie /fordʌv/ -> /fort ʌv/)
Rule 9: Significant spelling reform results in words more closely matching their pronunciation, except the allophonic lengthening in Rule 7.
Rule 10: A chained front vowel shift shifts ɔɑ̯ > ɔa̯, forcing ɑ > æ > ɛ > ɪ > ɪi̯, {ɑː,æː} > ɛː > ɪː > iː, and iː -> iːjə -> iːcə, and ɛə -> ɛjə > ɛːcə

Rule 11: It is assumed that the value of /r/ has remained as the normal English [ɹʷ].
Rule 12: əC > C̩ when C is nasal or resonant
Rule 13: Former "and" [ɛcn̩t] is reduced to [n̩t] with the exception of one per sentence. [ɛc] <ǽ> is used as a copula after this, referencing the initial subject. [ɪi̯ˈɾɪi̯s] (from "it is") or [ðeːˈæɹʷ] is also added in some of these cases, for later subjects.
Rule 14: Approximants fortite initially or in stressed syllable onset: w ɹʷ > b <b>, j > dʒ <j>, l > d <d>. Deletion of /h/ if a cluster results, and geminates simplify.
Rule 15: Some spelling changes to reflect this. /ʌ/ is now spelled <ò>.
Rule 16: [b] becomes [w] when preceded by another obstruent in the onset of a syllable, and [c] assimilates to a following obstruent in voicing and POA.
Rule 17: The enclitic <-in> is now used on noun phrases followed by the postposition <òv>. Noun phrases marked with <-in> but not followed by a postposition are now followed by <bithin>.
Rule 18: [n̩ ɹ̩ʷ ɫ̩] become [ə̃ ɵ ɵ], and [ɪi̯ ɔ̯a aɪ̯ aʊ̯] become [əɪ̯ wa æɪ̯ ɒʊ̯].
ɶʙ ɞʛ
greek
greek

Post by ɶʙ ɞʛ »

<Hjumàn bîings-óll nòv; ǽ thé-år bórn fbî ǽnt îquàl dignàtî-in ǽnt baits-in bithin. Ǽ thé-år endaut bîsàn-in ǽnd cånshàns-in bith ǽnt thé-shut ækt òthàr-îch-in tàbórts spiràt-à-in bithin; ǽ it-is bòthàrhut-in nòv.>

Human beings-all n'of; COP they-are born free and equal dignity=in and rights=in within. COP they-are endowed reason=in and conscience=in with and they-should act other-each=in towards spirit-a=in within; COP it-is brotherhood=in n'of.

[ˈɖʐʷuːmə̃ ˈbiːtɕəɲˌzwaɫ nəv | ɛtɕ ðeːˈɕaɹʷ ˈbwaɳʷ ˈfwitɕə ə̃t ˈiːkkʷo ˈdədʑnəˌtiɕəɲ ɛːtɕə̃t ˈbatɕəɲ bəzəɲ || ɛtɕ ðeːˈɕaɹʷ ɨnˈdɔwt ˈbiːdzə̃ˌhəɲ ə̃t ˈkanɕə̃ˌsəɲ bəs ɛːtɕə̃t ðeːˈʂʷut ˈɛkt ˌəðoˈhitɕəɲ təˈbwaʈʂʷ ˈspiːɹʷəɾəˌhəɲ bəzəɲ | ɛtɕ əˈjəɕ ˈbəːðoˌhutəɲ nəv]

1. òv becomes nòv, and quasi-genitive -s becomes -ns, when not representing a proper genitive. nòv is added when there's no quasi-genitive form as well, when the meaning would indicate it should.

For example: (X's Y) as in Y belonging to X gets òv or -s, while (X's Y) as in Y associated with X gets nòv or -ns.

2. i̯ u̯ are reanalyzed as coda /j w/. Glides combine with following and preceding consonants:
/j/ + /n ŋ t d ts dz tʃ dʒ k g θ ð s z ʃ ʒ h ɾ/ > /ɲ ɲ ts dz tɕ dʑ tɕ dʑ tɕ dʑ s z ɕ ʑ ɕ ʑ ɕ j/
/ɹʷ/ + /n ŋ t d ts dz tʃ dʒ k g θ ð s z ʃ ʒ h ɾ/ > /ɳʷ ŋʷ ʈʂʷ ɖʐʷ ʈʂʷ ɖʐʷ ʈʂʷ ɖʐʷ kʷ gʷ ʂʷ ʐʷ ʂʷ ʐʷ ʂʷ ʐʷ ʂʷ ɾ/
/w/ + /ŋ tʃ dʒ k g ʃ ʒ h ɾ/ > /ŋʷ ʈʂʷ ɖʐʷ kʷ gʷ ʂʷ ʐʷ xʷ w/
/l/ + /n ŋ t d ts dz tʃ dʒ k g f v θ ð s z ʃ ʒ h ɾ/ > /n ŋ tɬ dɮ tɬ dɮ tɬ dɮ kʟ̝̥ gʟ̝ ɬ ɮ ɬ ɮ ɬ ɮ ɬ ɮ ɬ ɾ/
3. /c/ merges into /tɕ/ and remaining /tʃ dʒ/ become /tɕ dʑ/ if before a front vowel or /ʈʂʷ ɖʐʷ/ before a back vowel. /ə̃/ from /n̩/ counts as front, but /ə̃/ from /ŋ̩/ and /ʊ̃/ from /m̩/ count as back.
4. Vowel regularization: /æ ʌ ɒ ɵ ɪ ʊ/ > /a ə ɔ o ɨ u/
5. Adjacent vowels become separated by one of /h ɕ xʷ/ depending on their value.

New phonology:

/m n ɳʷ ɲ ŋ ŋʷ/
/p b t d ts dz tɬ dɮ ʈʂʷ ɖʐʷ tɕ dʑ k g kʷ gʷ kʟ̝̥ gʟ̝ ʔ/
/f v θ ð s z ɬ ɮ ʂʷ ʐʷ ɕ ʑ xʷ h/
/w ɹʷ ɾ l j/

/i i: ɨ ɨ: u u:/
/e e: ə ə: o o:/
/ɛ ɛ: a a: ɔ ɔ:/
/ə̃ ʊ̃/
ɶʙ ɞʛ
greek
greek

Post by ɶʙ ɞʛ »

1. <;> becomes <fnord> /fnwaɖʐʷ/, as the symbol becomes viewed as outdated

2. Verbs move to the end of segments, before only pre/postpositions.

3. /ɳʷ/ merges into /ŋʷ/; all word-final /m n/ also merge into /ŋ/.

<Hjumàn bîings-óll nòv fnord ǽ bórn fbî ǽnt îquàl dignàtî-in ǽnt baits-in thé-år bithin. Ǽ endaut bîsàn-in ǽnd cånshàns-in thé-år bith, ǽnt thé-shut òthàr-îch-in tàbórts spiràt-à-in ækt bithin fnord ǽ bòthàrhut-in it-is nòv.>

Human beings-all n'of fnord COP born free and equal dignity=in and rights=in they-are within. COP endowed reason=in and conscience=in they-are with, and they-should other-each=in towards spirit-a=in act within fnord COP brotherhood=in it-is n'of.

[ˈɖʐʷuːmə̃ ˈbiːtɕəɲˌzwaɫ nəv fnwaɖʐʷ ɛtɕ ˈbwaŋʷ ˈfwitɕə ə̃t ˈiːkkʷo ˈdədʑnəˌtiɕəɲ ɛːtɕə̃t ˈbatɕəɲ ðeːˈɕaɹʷ bəzəɲ || ɛtɕ ɨnˈdɔwt ˈbiːdzə̃ˌhəɲ ə̃t ˈkanɕə̃ˌsəɲ ðeːˈɕaɹʷ bəs | ɛːtɕə̃t ðeːˈʂʷut ˌəðoˈhitɕəɲ təˈbwaʈʂʷ ˈspiːɹʷəɾəˌhəɲ ˈɛkt bəzəɲ fnwaɖʐʷ ɛtɕ ˈbəːðoˌhutəɲ əˈjəɕ nəv]
ɶʙ ɞʛ
greek
greek

Post by ɶʙ ɞʛ »

Let's revive this with a non-English phrase.

Initial phonology:
/m n/ <m n>
/pʰ~pɸ tʰ~ts kʰ~kx/ <p t k>
/b d ɖʐ g/ <b d j g>
/s z/ <s z>
/l j ʕ/ <l y h>

/i y ʊ ə ɔ æ ɐ/ <i u ŭ ĕ o e a>
/əi əy əɤ æi ɒæ oy/ <ĕi ĕu ĕŭ ei óe ou>

/kʰæi̯pɸmɒæ̯kx m̩ɖʐoy̯lʕ sɔ ʕm̩tʰəɤ̯ bɒæ̯bɒæ̯ sɔ ənsɖʐoy̯lʕ || i ənspʰəy̯s mɒæ̯kxtʰʊlʕi g || nʕɐjæi̯g m̩skʰɔlz sɔ ənskʰæi̯pʰəmtskx g || zʕɔm g/

<Keipmóek mjoulh so hmtĕŭ bóebóe so ĕnsjoulh. I ĕnspĕus móektŭlhi g. Nhayeig mskolz so ĕnskeipĕmtk g. Zhom g.>

<Keip-móek m-joulh so hmtĕŭ bóebóe so ĕns-joulh. I ĕns-pĕus móek-tŭlhi g. Nhayei-g m-skolz so ĕns-keip-ĕmtk g. Z-hom g.>

(aug.)-(iness.) (pred.)-insect COP concern title-(redup.) COP wood-insect. (neg.) wood-preserve (iness.)-home 3p.s.. eat-3p.s. (pred.)-sap COP wood-(aug.)-plant 3p.s.. (def.)-poison 3p.s..

"Deep within [dense forest] lies an insect of concern, named the wood-bug. It is not [found] in processed indoor wood. It eats sap and [lives within] larger trees. It is poisonous."
jimydog000
greek
greek

Post by jimydog000 »

Phonology:
/m n/ <m n>
/pʰ~pɸ tʰ~ts kʰ~kx/ <p t k>
/b d ɖʐ g/ <b d j g>
/s z/ <s z>
/l j ʕ/ <l y h>

/i y ʊ ə ɔ æ ɐ/ <i u ŭ ĕ o e a>
/əi əy əɤ æi ɒæ oy/ <ĕi ĕu ĕŭ ei óe ou>

VOS

Glossary Terms:
NEG: negation
COP: Copula
INESS: inessive case
PRED: Predative
DEF: definite

/kʰæi̯pɸmɒæ̯kx m̩ɖʐoy̯lʕ sɔ ʕm̩tʰəɤ̯ bɒæ̯bɒæ̯ sɔ ənsɖʐoy̯lʕ/
<Keip-móek m-joulh so hmtĕŭ bóebóe so ĕns-joulh>
AUG-INESS PRED-insect COP concern title-title COP wood-insect
"Deep within [dense forest] lies an insect of concern, named the wood-bug."

/i ənspʰəy̯s imɒæ̯kxtʰʊlʕi g | nʕɐjæi̯g m̩skʰɔlz sɔ ənskʰæi̯pʰəmtskx g | zʕɔm g/
<i ĕns-pĕus i-móek-tŭlhi g | Nhayei-g m-skolz so ĕns-keip-ĕmtk g | Z-hom g>
NEG wood-preserve INESS-home 3p.s | eat-3p.s PRED-sap COP wood-AUG-plant 3p.s | DEF-poison 3p.s
"It is not [found] in processed indoor wood. It eats sap and [lives within] larger trees. It is poisonous."

>

{k,kx} → ʔ / _C
ʕ → ʔˤ / _C
Cʕ → Cˤ
Negative marker attaches to a 'dummy' copula.
😰

/kʰæi̯pɸmɒæ̯kx m̩ɖʐoy̯lˤ sɔ ʔˤm̩tʰəɤ̯ bɒæ̯bɒæ̯ sɔ ənsɖʐoy̯lˤ/

/iso ənspʰəy̯s mɒæ̯ʔtʰʊlˤi g | nˤɐjæi̯g m̩skʰɔlz sɔ ənskʰæi̯pʰəmtsʔ g | zˤɔm g/
<i-so ĕns-pĕus móek-tŭlhi g | Nhayei-g m-skolz so ĕns-keip-ĕmtk g | Z-hom g>
NEG-COP wood-preserve INESS-home 3p.s | eat-3p.s PRED-sap COP wood-AUG-plant 3p.s | DEF-poison 3p.s
"It is not [found] in processed indoor wood. It eats sap and [lives within] larger trees. It is poisonous."
Last edited by jimydog000 on 12 May 2021 20:43, edited 1 time in total.
jimydog000
greek
greek

Post by jimydog000 »

z → r
s → h
{ts,tʰ} → s
kx → x
kʰ → k
{pʰ,pɸ} → p
g → k
ɖʐ → d
#k# → x̩
{i y ʊ ə ɔ æ ɐ} → i y u ə ɔ ɛ ɐ
{əi əy əɤ æi ɒæ oy} → iː yː oː ɛː ɔː uː
ɐ → ɑ / Cˤ_
nh → hn

/kɛːpmɔːx m̩duːlˤ hɔ ʔˤm̩soː bɔːbɔː hɔ əhnduːlˤ/

/iho əhnpyːh mɔːʔsulˤi x̩ | nˤɑjɛːk m̩hkɔlr hɔ əhnkɛːpəmsʔ x̩ | rˤɔm x̩/
<i-so ĕns-pĕus móek-tŭlhi g | Nhayei-g m-skolz so ĕns-keip-ĕmtk g | Z-hom g>
NEG-COP wood-preserve INESS-home 3p.s | eat-3p.s PRED-sap COP wood-AUG-plant 3p.s | DEF-poison 3p.s
ɶʙ ɞʛ
greek
greek

Post by ɶʙ ɞʛ »

1. The discovery of a related, smaller species leads this species to be named the "greater wood-bug", adding a prefix /kɛːp/ to /əhnduːlˤ/.
2. x̩ > ɯ.
3. When /ɯ/ is adjacent to its referenced word, and that word is a noun, an infix /tɔ:k/ is added between them.
4. Nasal assimilation; following this, m̩ n̩ ŋ̩̩ > õ ɛ̃ ɯ̃.
5. ʔˤ > ʡ, and /ʡ/ is now written <q>.
6. /lr/ sequences are separated by an epenthetic /ɛ/.

Current phonology:
/m n ŋ/ <m~n>
/p b t d k ʡ ʔ/ <p b t j~d k q k>
/s x h/ <s~t k~g s>
/l r j/ <l z y>
/ⓒˤ/ <h>

/i y ɯ u/ <i u g ŭ>
/ɛ ə ɔ/ <e ĕ o>
/ɐ/ <a>
/i: y: u:/ <ĕi ĕu ou>
/o:/ <ĕŭ>
/ɛ: ɔ:/ <ei oe>
/ɯ̃ õ ɛ̃/ <m~n>

/kɛːpmɔːx ɛ̃duːlˤ hɔ ʡɛ̃soː bɔːbɔː hɔ kɛːpəhɛ̃duːlˤ/
<Keip-móek m-joulh so qmtĕŭ bóebóe so keip-ĕns-joulh>
AUG-INESS PRED-insect COP concern title-title COP AUG-wood-insect
"Deep within [dense forest] lies an insect of concern, named the greater wood-bug."

/ihɔ əhõpyːh mɔːʔsulˤi ɯ | nˤɑjɛːk hɯ̃kɔlɛr hɔ əhɯ̃̃kɛːpənsʔ ɯ | rˤɔntɔ:kɯ/
<i-so ĕns-pĕus móek-tŭlhi g | Nhayei-g m-skolz so ĕns-keip-ĕmtk g | Z-hom-toek-g>
NEG-COP wood-preserve INESS-home 3p.s | eat-3p.s PRED-sap COP wood-AUG-plant 3p.s | DEF-poison-have-3p.s
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

If you die when it bites you, it’s venomous.
If you die when you bite it, it’s poisonous.
Which one is meant?
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

eldin raigmore wrote: 15 May 2021 00:22 If you die when it bites you, it’s venomous.
If you die when you bite it, it’s poisonous.
Which one is meant?
Should you be in an encounter with it we shall let you know

1. A stress system develops with primarily ultimate stress, except in words with short final vowels
2. Stressed syllables begin with allophonic aspirates and glottalization
3. Epiglottals trigger retraction of /{i y} ɯ u/ > /{ɪ ʏ} ɯ̽ ʊ/ > /ɛ ə ɔ/, regardless of length in adjacent syllables
4. /ɔ:/ is lowered to /a~ɑ/
5. The numeral /i:ta/ 'one' becomes used as a indefinite article

Current phonology:
/m n ŋ/ <m~n>
/p~pʰ b t~tʰ d k~kʰ ʡ ʔ/ <p b t j~d k q k>
/s x h/ <s~t k~g s>
/l r j/ <l z y>
/ⓒˤ/ <h>
/(ˀ)/ <>

/i y ɯ u/ <i u g ŭ>
/ɛ ə ɔ/ <e ĕ o>
/ɐ/ <a>
/ɛ:/ <ei>
/a/ <óe>
/ɯ̃ õ ɛ̃/ <m~n>

/i:ta kɛːpˈmˀax ɛ̃ˈdˀalˤ hɔ ʡɛ̃ˈsʰoː baˈbˀa hɔ kɛːpəhɛ̃ˈdˀalˤ/
<Ěitóe keip-móek m-jóelh so qmtĕŭ bóebóe so keip-ĕns-jóelh>
INDEF AUG-INESS PRED-insect COP concern title-title COP AUG-wood-insect
"Deep within [dense forest] lies an insect of concern, named the greater wood-bug."

/ˈihɔ əhõˈpʰyːh maʔˈsʰɔlˤɛ ɯ | nˤɑˈjˀɛːk hɯ̃kɔˈlˀɛr hɔ əhɯ̃̃kɛːˈpʰənsʔ ɯ | rˤɔnˈtʰakɯ/
<i-so ĕns-pĕus móek-tŭlhi g | Nhóeyei-g m-skolz so ĕns-keip-ĕmtk g | Z-hom-tóek-g>
NEG-COP wood-preserve INESS-home 3p.s | eat-3p.s PRED-sap COP wood-AUG-plant 3p.s | DEF-poison-have-3p.s
Spoiler:

The SqwedgePad
ɶʙ ɞʛ
greek
greek

Post by ɶʙ ɞʛ »

1. Object nouns are now placed before their respective verbs.
2. Words ending in /l r/ gain an epenthetic vowel after that, /ɛ/ normally or /a/ if pharyngealized.
3. /ʕ lˤ rˤ/ merge as /ʁ/, and /ʡ/ > /q/.
4. /bˀ dˀ jˀ mˀ nˀ ŋˀ lˀ rˀ ʁˀ/ > /b͡p d͡t jd m͡b n͡d ŋ͡g l͡d d ɢ͡q/.
5. Unstressed non-nasal short vowels reduce: /ɯ/ > /∅/, /i ə/ > /ɯ/, /ɛ a/ > /ə/, /y u ɔ/ > /ʉ/.

/m~m͡b n~n͡d ŋ~ŋ͡g/ <m~n>
/p~pʰ b~b͡p t~tʰ d~d͡t k~kʰ q ʔ/ <p b t j~d k q k>
/s x h/ <s~t k~g s>
/l~l͡d r~d j~jd ʁ~ɢ͡q/ <l z y h~lh~zh>
/ⓒˤ/ <h>
/(ˀ)/ <>

/i y ɯ u/ <i u g ŭ>
/ɛ ə ɔ/ <e ĕ o>
/ɛ:/ <ei>
/a/ <óe>
/ɯ̃ õ ɛ̃/ <m~n>

/ˈi:tə kɛːpˈm͡bax ɛ̃ˈd͡taʁə hʉ qɛ̃ˈsʰoː bəˈb͡pa hʉ kɛːpɯhɛ̃ˈd͡taʁə/
<Ěitóe keip-móek m-jóelh so qmtĕŭ bóebóe so keip-ĕns-jóelh>
INDEF AUG-INESS PRED-insect COP concern title-title COP AUG-wood-insect

/ˈihʉ ɯhõˈpʰyːh məʔˈsʰɔʁə ∅ | hɯ̃kʉˈl͡dɛrə nˤəjˈdɛːk hʉ ɯhɯ̃̃kɛːˈpʰənsʔ ∅ | ʁʉnˈtʰak/
<i-so ĕns-pĕus móek-tŭlhi g | M-skolz nhóeyei-g so ĕns-keip-ĕmtk g | Z-hom-tóek-g>
NEG-COP wood-preserve INESS-home 3p.s | PRED-sap eat-3p.s COP wood-AUG-plant 3p.s | DEF-poison-have-3p.s
jimydog000
greek
greek

Post by jimydog000 »

INDEF becomes a suffix after the noun it modifies... How does this work as it is now? INDEF applies not to nouns that are objects?
New affix: ʕɔzɐ- (Adverbaliser) which becomes > qɔrɐ- <qoza>
(technically we still have /ʕ/, the text just only had /ʕC/. But we'll do /ʕ/ > /q/.
h > j / V[+high]_V, V_V[+high]
ɛː > eː
l͡d > ʎ
m͡b n͡d ŋ͡g > ᵐb ⁿd ᵑɡ
b͡p d͡t ɢ͡q > ɓ ɗ ɠ

Phonology:

/m~ᵐb n~ⁿd ŋ~ᵑɡ/ <m~n>
/p~pʰ b~ɓ t~tʰ d~d͡t k~kʰ q ʔ/ <p b t j~d k q k>
/s x h/ <s~t k~g s>
/l~ʎ r~d j~jd ʁ~ɠ/ <l z y-h h~lh~zh>
/ⓒˤ/ <h>
/(ˀ)/ <>

/i y ɯ u/ <i u g ŭ>
/ɛ ə ɔ/ <e ĕ o>
/iː yː uː/ <ĕi ĕu ou>
/eː oː/ <ei ĕŭ>
/a/ <óe>
/ɯ̃ õ ɛ̃/ <m~n>

/qɔrɐkeːpˈᵐbax ɛ̃ˈɗaʁəi:tə jʉ qɛ̃ˈsʰoː , bəˈɓa jʉ keːpɯjɛ̃ˈɗaʁə/
<qoza-keip-móek m-jóelh-ĕitóe so qmtĕŭ , bóebóe so keip-ĕns-jóelh>
ADVERB-AUG-INESS PRED-insect-INDEF COP concern, title-title COP AUG-wood-insect

/ˈijʉ ɯjõˈpʰyːh məʔˈsʰɔʁə ∅ | jɯ̃kʉˈʎɛrə nˤəjˈdeːk jʉ ɯjɯ̃̃keːˈpʰənsʔ ∅ | ʁʉnˈtʰak/
<i-so ĕns-pĕus móek-tŭlhi g | M-skolz nhóeyei-g so ĕns-keip-ĕmtk g | Z-hom-tóek-g>
NEG-COP wood-preserve INESS-home 3p.s | PRED-sap eat-3p.s COP wood-AUG-plant 3p.s | DEF-poison-have-3p.s
ɶʙ ɞʛ
greek
greek

Post by ɶʙ ɞʛ »

jimydog000 wrote: 17 May 2021 17:40/ʕ/ > /q/
So as /ʕ/ merged into /ʁ/ before, this is essentially ʁ > q word-initially. No problem with that, just clarifying.