Language practice thread

A forum dedicated to the studying of natural languages and for discussions in languages other than English.
Imralu
roman
roman

Re: Language practice thread

Post by Imralu »

Oops, wrong person.

All4Ɇn, je, hakuna kozi ya jioni ya Kiitaliano mjini kwako? Huenda kuna mtu anayejua Kiitaliano anayetaka kujifunza Kiingereza au lugha nyingine unayojua.
All4Ɇn, isn't there an evening class in Italian in your town? Maybe there's a person who knows Italian who wants to learn English or another language you know.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific, AG = agent, E = entity (person, animal, thing)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Imralu wrote: Qwed117, bado unapenda? Kama ndiyo, unampenda nani?
Qwed117, are you still in love? If you are, who are you in love with?
No sé donde está esto lugar "Love". Pero tal vez haya la posibilidad que ya estoy allí. No sé quien también está allí. DesEsseintes había ido allí. Quizás todavía está allí y sabe quien está allí
I don't know where this "Love" place is. But maybe there's the possibility that I'm already there. I don't who else is there. DesEsseintes had gone there. Maybe he's still there and knows who is there.

I think you misdirected your question to me
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Lambuzhao wrote:
ixals wrote:
Je peux déjà remarquer que mes connaissances en français se dégradent.
I can already feel my French skills dwindling.
Courage!
¡Ánimo!
[>:D]
Aszev wrote: - Provide an English translation of what you wrote.
Google existe, pero las reglas son las reglas.
Google exists, but the rules are the rules.

私の日本語のクラスは七月二十八日に終わりました。
Watashi no nihongo no kurasu wa shichigatsu nijūhachinichi ni owarimashita.
My Japanese class ended on July 28th.

クラスを取りましたから、私の夏休みは三週間掛かります。
Kurasu o torimashita kara, watashi no natsuyasumi wa sanshūkan kakarimasu.
Because I took the class, my summer vacation will last three weeks.

私の大学の秋学期は直ぐ始まります。
Watashi no daigaku no akigakki wa sugu hajimarimasu.
My college's fall semester is going to start soon.

でも、まだ凄く疲れています。
Demo, mada sugoku tsukarete imasu.
However, I'm still really tired.
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

日本語がお上手ですね。
Nihongo ga ojoozu desu ne.
Your Japanese is good.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

ありがとうございました。  [:D]
Arigatō gozaimashita!
Thank you very much!

Siempre podría ser major, naturalmente, y hay mucho que no puedo decir o escribir, pero aprendí dos semestres de japonés en ocho semanas. Mi clase acaba de terminar, también. Sin embargo, estoy muy contento con mi progreso!
I could always be better, of course, and there's a lot that I can't say or write, but I did take two semesters of Japanese in eight weeks. My class also just ended. Nevertheless, I'm very happy with my progress!
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

shimobaatar wrote:ありがとうございました。 
Arigatō gozaimashita!
Thank you very much!
Spoiler:
Personally, I'd run with the present tense here. ありがとうございます。Presumably, our relationship on the forum isn't a one-off. [:)] Better still, in Japanese, I'd deflect a compliment with an "いいえ, I don't speak well at all." Then get into, if you must, "I could always be better, of course, ..."

You speak well of others and are often self-deprecating, which makes you a valued and calming voice in this community. Learn how to do that aptly in Japanese, and my goodness, you could have a successful career in the foreign service. [:D] (this is not sarcasm)
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Spoiler:
Lao Kou wrote:Personally, I'd run with the present tense here. ありがとうございます。
Yes, I think you're right. I was hesitating between past and present but ended up going with the more formal sounding one.
Lao Kou wrote:Better still, in Japanese, I'd deflect a compliment with an "いいえ, I don't speak well at all." Then get into, if you must, "I could always be better, of course, ..."
Ah, damn, good point! All my life I've been told I need to learn to take a compliment, but when I do… [xD]
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

Spoiler:
shimobaatar wrote:
Lao Kou wrote:Personally, I'd run with the present tense here. ありがとうございます。
Yes, I think you're right. I was hesitating between past and present but ended up going with the more formal sounding one.
I don't see this as a matter of formality. It's how you perceive the transaction. claw or des can speak better to this, but if you're a shopkeeper with regulars, it, to me, sounds nicer to suggest that this relationship will continue, rather than, as I said above, be a one-off. In today's world, with convenience shops on every corner, the notion of a "regular customer" may be changing, which is why ありがとうございました may be on the up-tick (will you ever see this person again?) (vs. you and your local green grocer ありがとうございます)

I am thankful for this (on-going) relationship ありがとうございます vs. I am thankful for this particular exchange ありがとうございました
All my life I've been told I need to learn to take a compliment, but when I do… [xD]
You will have the lion lie down with the lamb. Broker world peace. No pressure. [B)]
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

shimobaatar wrote:
Lambuzhao wrote:
ixals wrote:
Courage!
¡Ánimo!
Come on!
[}:D]

shimo wrote: でも、まだ凄く疲れています。
Demo, mada sugoku tsukarete imasu.
However, I'm still really tired.
遣って見ましょう!
undertake<CNJV> see<POL><VOL>
Come on 'n have a go!

頑張って!
persist<CNJV>
Keep it up!

i.e.
Courage!
¡Ánimo!
[:O]
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

Spoiler:
Lambuzhao wrote:
shimobaatar wrote:
Lambuzhao wrote:
ixals wrote:
Courage!
¡Ánimo!
Come on!
Questo è il momento nel quale sono contento con le parole neolatine che hanno infiltrato l'inglese. [xD]
This is the moment where I am happy with the Romance words which have infiltrated English.

Nee, nicht wirklich.
No, not really.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn »

Egerius wrote:Questo è il momento nel quale sono contento con le parole neolatine che hanno infiltrato l'inglese. [xD]
This is the moment where I am happy with the Romance words which have infiltrated English.
Mi sento sempre comme sono mentendo quando dico che so parlare diverse lingue perché tutti sono europei e tutti tranne uno sono romanza. Hanno così tante parole in comune insieme e con Inglese che una parta di me ritiene ch'io sono fregando quando lo dico.
I always feel like I'm lying when I say I speak several languages because all of them are European and all but one are Romance. They have so many words in common with each other and English that a part of me feels like I'm cheating when I say that.
Imralu
roman
roman

Post by Imralu »

Ninachukia swala hili: "Unazungumza lugha ngapi?" Sitaki kusema kwamba ninajua lugha fulani, mtu mwingine anapoweza kunijaribu na kusema kwamba siwezi kuizungumza, hivyo sisemi kwamba ninaijua, lakini kisha mtu ananisikia nikiizungumza au ananiona nikiandika kifungo kimoja kisicho na kosa na kisha akawaambia wote kwamba ninazungumza lugha hiyo kwa ufasaha, akiniambia kwamba mimi ni mnyenyekevu mno. Sidhani kwamba mimi ni mnyenyekevu. Hakuna mpaka ambao mtu anaweza kusema kwamba anazungumza lugha juu yake na haizungumzi chini yake.
I hate the question "How many languages do you speak?" I don't want to say I know a language when someone might test me and say that I can't speak it, so I don't say that I know it, but then someone hears me speaking or sees me writing one sentence without any errors and then they tell everyone that I can speak that language fluently, telling me that I'm too modest. I don't think I'm being modest. There's no boundary, above which you can say that you can speak a language and under which you can't speak it.

Imesemwa kwamba ninazungumza Kituruki kwa ufasaha. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahapana!
Apparently I can speak Turkish fluently. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahardly (ie. no)!
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific, AG = agent, E = entity (person, animal, thing)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS
Aevas
admin
admin

Post by Aevas »

Så sant. Kvar gong nokon spør meg om "Kor mange språk eg talar" veit eg aldri kva eg skal svara. Liksom... det kan vera alt mellom eitt og ti, avhengig av korleis ein tel... [:|]

So true. Every time someone asks me about "How many languages I speak" I never know what to answer. Like... it can be anything between one and ten, depending on how you count... [:|]
Imralu
roman
roman

Post by Imralu »

Mara nyingi mimi hujibu: "Wangapi ni tajiri?" au: "Una rafiki wangapi wazuri?
I often reply "How many people are rich?" or "How many good friends do you have?"

Je, ile ni Nynorsk?
Is that Nynorsk?
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS
Aevas
admin
admin

Post by Aevas »

Imralu wrote:Mara nyingi mimi hujibu: "Wangapi ni tajiri?" au: "Una rafiki wangapi wazuri?
I often reply "How many people are rich?" or "How many good friends do you have?"

Je, ile ni Nynorsk?
Is that Nynorsk?
Det er det! Og det var gode svar, eg skal sjå til å hugse dei til framtidig bruk! [:D]
It is! And those were good answers, I'll make sure to remember them for later use [:D]
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

All4Ɇn wrote:
Egerius wrote:Questo è il momento nel quale sono contento con le parole neolatine che hanno infiltrato l'inglese. [xD]
Mi sento sempre comme sono mentendo quando dico che so parlare diverse lingue perché tutti sono europei e tutti tranne uno sono romanza. Hanno così tante parole in comune insieme e con Inglese che una parta di me ritiene ch'io sono fregando quando lo dico.
I always feel like I'm lying when I say I speak several languages because all of them are European and all but one are Romance. They have so many words in common with each other and English that a part of me feels like I'm cheating when I say that.
Tambien siento que estoy mintiendo cuando digo que no soy monolingüe. Por lo mejor, no tengo capaz de hablar, escuchar o escribir con fluidez en algo idioma además de ingles.
I also feel like I'm lying when I say I'm not monolingual. For the most part, I don't have the ability to fluently speak, listen, or write in any language other than English.
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
Imralu
roman
roman

Post by Imralu »

Kumwuliza mtu ikiwa anajua lugha fulani anayojifunza ni kama kuuliza mtu wa kwanza alizaliwa lini. Vitu hivi viwili vyote vinabadilika hatua kwa hatua. Kuna hatua muhimu, lakini ziliweza kuchaguliwa na watu binafsi
Asking someone if they know a language they're learning is like asking when the first person was born. Both of these things change gradually. There are milestones, but these can be chosen by people subjectively.
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Spoiler:
Lao Kou wrote:I don't see this as a matter of formality. It's how you perceive the transaction. claw or des can speak better to this, but if you're a shopkeeper with regulars, it, to me, sounds nicer to suggest that this relationship will continue, rather than, as I said above, be a one-off. In today's world, with convenience shops on every corner, the notion of a "regular customer" may be changing, which is why ありがとうございました may be on the up-tick (will you ever see this person again?) (vs. you and your local green grocer ありがとうございます)

I am thankful for this (on-going) relationship ありがとうございます vs. I am thankful for this particular exchange ありがとうございました
Oh, I didn't understand what you meant by "one-off", then. In any case, my teacher just said that using the past tense is more formal, but he might have just been trying to save time.

Lambuzhao wrote: Come on!
En serio, hay muchas personas que no pueden hablar español o francés. [:S]
Seriously, there are a lot of people who can't speak Spanish or French.
Lambuzhao wrote: 遣って見ましょう!
Come on 'n have a go!

頑張って!
persist<CNJV>
Keep it up!
¿Cómo puedo intentar no estar cansado? :wat:
How can I try to not be tired?

Egerius wrote: Questo è il momento nel quale sono contento con le parole neolatine che hanno infiltrato l'inglese. [xD]

Nee, nicht wirklich.
No, not really.
¿Por qué no te gustas los préstamos?
Why don't you like loanwords?

No me gusta decir que hablo idiomas que no son inglés, pero no quiero decir que soy monolingüe, tampoco. Digo que he estudiado varios idiomas.
I don't like to say that I speak languages that aren't English, but I don't want to say that I'm monolingual, either. I say that I've studied various languages.
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

shimobaatar wrote:¿Por qué no te gustas los préstamos?
Why don't you like loanwords?
Sindon ealle frencisce þá ƿord þe ne lícigað mec, and þær ƿæron ealde ƿord ƿé næbbað ná már.
It is all those French words that do not please me, and there were old words we don't have no more...
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

shimobaatar wrote:
Lambuzhao wrote: Come on!
En serio, hay muchas personas que no pueden hablar español o francés. [:S]
Seriously, there are a lot of people who can't speak Spanish or French.
[B)] [}:D] [}:D] [}:D] [}:D] [}:D]

Ahí estaba contextualmente recontra-malvado.

I was being super contextually evil there.

Yo estaba traduciendo literalmente el ánimo/courage al inglés,
I was literally translating for ánimo/courage,

sin embargo el contexto justo después de tu acotación se simulaba como yo reclamaba de tu pedida.
but the context right after your quote could have made it look like I was complaining about your request.

Basta decir que de veras no me quejaba con nada, pero, de todas maneras, lo dejaba de una interpretación variable.
Suffice to say that I really wasn't, but I left it open anyway.

Era injusto de una manera. Lo siento por la ambigüedad sintáctica. Simplemente no lo podía resistir.
That was kind of unfair. Sorry for the syntactial duplicity. I just could not resist.
[:$]
Lambuzhao wrote: 遣って見ましょう!
Come on 'n have a go!

頑張って!
persist<CNJV>
Keep it up!
¿Cómo puedo intentar no estar cansado? :wat:
How can I try to not be tired?
¡Puje! ¡Puje!
Push! Push!
http://www.cinema52.com/2013/wp-content ... Raptor.png