Last word you learned in a foreign language

A forum dedicated to the studying of natural languages and for discussions in languages other than English.
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Re: Last word you learned in a foreign language

Post by Salmoneus »

I'm only aware of "belly-flop" in common parlance in England, and certainly as the only synonym that's also used more broadly in a metaphorical sense. It wouldn't surprise me in particular regions, or indeed subcultures, might have their own terms, though. [eg when I were a lad, what wiktionary calls a "cannonball" was just a "bomb" or "bomber"].

And if you're learning flop-related vocabulary in English, have you learned "Fosbury flop" yet?

EDIT: I don't recognise alynnidalar's terms. I wouldn't be surprised, however, if this was the sort of vocabulary that didn't get recorded online, at least in easily searchable places - if a group of teenagers in Omaha or wherever have a particular term for when their friends do this when they're swimming together, they aren't necessarily going and setting up websites where they can describe it to strangers...
Khemehekis
runic
runic

Post by Khemehekis »

When I hear the term "belly flop", I think of the bags of defective (misshapen, etc.) jelly beans that Jelly Belly puts out called Belly Flops. It's a pun on the physical maneuver, with "belly" from Jelly Belly and "flop" in its sense of failure.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 66,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

I don't think I've ever heard anything other than "belly flop" here around Philadelphia, or anywhere else, for that matter. Although, it's not a concept that I personally speak, hear, or think about very much.

For me:

:arab: وباء wabāʾ "epidemic"
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

alynnidalar wrote: 02 May 2020 20:05 It's the only term I'm familiar with in Michigan, USA, but I can't speak for other regions.

Thesaurus.com suggests "belly buster", "belly flopper", "belly whop", and "belly whopper", but I've never heard any of these and am having a hard time finding any actual usages online--every link seems to just be another dictionary site. If they're regional they must be pretty niche.
Same from NJ. I can imagine someone saying "belly flopper", but I don't think I would personally say it. Bellywhop seems to me to be an eggcorn of bellyflop in a locale with /ʍ/
Spoiler:
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.
ThatAnalysisGuy
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by ThatAnalysisGuy »

I learned the French noun "temps," meaning time or weather. I learned this in the French part of the Esperanto book Fundamento de Esperanto. In Esperanto, the corresponding word for time is "tempo."
Aevas
admin
admin

Post by Aevas »

I learned the kanji 間, which forms the second part of the word 人間 ningen 'human, person'.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Sardinian, as always, deghile, meaning handsome or pretty (ie good looking), probably from Latin DECIBILIS
Spoiler:
My minicity is Zyphrazia and Novland
What is made of man will crumble away.
gokupwned5
sinic
sinic

Post by gokupwned5 »

I learned the Spanish word cafetal, which means “coffee plantation”. I found out what it meant because my great-grandmother was talking about the coffee plantation that her mother owned in Cuba.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

German gerade is awfully polysemous.
Aevas
admin
admin

Post by Aevas »

FINNISH