Romany language remix

A forum dedicated to the studying of natural languages and for discussions in languages other than English.
Marduk
rupestrian
rupestrian

Romany language remix

Post by Marduk »

Ive been researching the Romany language for a new custom language. I have a few good ideas and some research material. I picked up a copy of “Gypsy Jib” and a few other resources. Has anyone else made a Romany language remix? If so what resources did you use?
Last edited by Marduk on 23 May 2021 04:30, edited 1 time in total.
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Re: Gypsy language remix

Post by Salmoneus »

In before anyone else says it more unkindly: be aware that 'Gypsy' is a controversial term. In America it's widely considered a racial slur (although in the UK it's a common self-designation). In any case, the languages are generally not called 'Gypsy' even by people who identify that way themselves, but are known by their own names, or as 'Romani' (or a spelling variant of that). This also reduces confusion, as other groups - the Dom, the Lom, and so forth - who may sometimes be called 'Gypsies'.

There's at least seven, and possibly several dozen romani languages proper. There's also half a dozen or a dozen 'Para-Romani' languages - mixed languages that mostly consist of Romani vocabulary with the grammar of the surrounding languages (so, in England, Anglo-Romani).

I'm not sure what you mean by 'remix'. But I've never seen anyone create a language either derived from or inspired by Romani, no - in fact in general the Indian language sphere seems to be underrepresented in conlanging!
Marduk
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Marduk »

Thanks for setting me straight.Certainly not intended like that.

The dictionary ive been using is called “Gypsy Jib: A Romany Dictionary” its written from a traditional stance so thats how I took it.
I had no idea it was seen in that light. Pardon me.

But the language is beautiful. Thats why Im using it. From what I understand its more like a slang? Or mixture of language.And it even varies from family to family. Either way I have some great results so far. And the book has been great.

Again, excuse my ignorance if I offended.
Marduk
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Marduk »

Here is the book for reference. I picked it up some time ago. I did not pay $900. That price is insane.

https://www.amazon.com/Gypsy-Jib-Dictio ... 01B98ZYGG/
Marduk
rupestrian
rupestrian

Re: Romany language remix

Post by Marduk »

I fixed the thread to be more appropriate.
Thanks again.