What languages influence your conlangs?

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
WeepingElf
greek
greek

Re: What languages influence your conlangs?

Post by WeepingElf »

Old Albic is meant as an Indo-European language related to Hittite, so Proto-Indo-European and Hittite are obvious sources of influence. As are Georgian (for the morphosyntactic alignment), the Insular Celtic languages (as Old Albic is meant to be the enigmatic substratum that some scholars hold responsible for the typological "weirdness" of the Insular Celtic languages), and Tolkien's Elvish languages (for the generic "Elvish" look and feel). And, last but not least, Latin - the language that shaped my general conlanging style when I learned it in school.
Last edited by WeepingElf on 01 May 2022 18:02, edited 1 time in total.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

MissTerry wrote: 25 Apr 2022 16:46 It's hard for me to make new words for my conlang, but at the same time it's easy. Hard because I can't just make up arbitrary words to be new words in my conlang, because the conlang is supposed to be a sister language of Sanskrit, like how Spanish is a sister language of Italian having come from the same ancestral Latin. And so, to make new words, I would first look through what words, roots, and affixes I already have to see if I can make the news words I need out of them. If I can't, then I have a handful of old digitized Sanskrit dictionaries I go through to find radicals, roots, and new particles (affixes) to assimilate into my conlang. If that doesn't work, than I have no choice but to use my creativity and imagination and resort to inventing an arbitrary root or radical to use. Which is why I classify my conlang as a "sister language" and not a dialect proper of Sanskrit.

. . .

The challenging part is to take those ancient roots, radicals, and particles, and to create words to describe things in our modern civilization such as: jet propulsion, quantum physics, quantum entanglement, atomic fusion, nuclear bomb, hypersonic missiles, airplanes, buses, tin foil, microwaves, screw drivers, nuts and bolts, hotdogs, pizzas, tacos, martian rovers, space probes, television, the internet, internet forums, computers, hard drives, the metaverse, and so on :) My conlang at the moment lacks the ability to talk about the modern world! But I'm working on that. Right now I'm forced to invent a class of arbitrary radicals to use in order to affix to those ancient roots and words to create neologisms that can talk about our modern civilization.
I see. For some of my Leholangs, I put together native roots or Classical (like Ciladian) roots to mean newer inventions, the way "television" is far + see in English. But some of my Leholangs are for civilizations so advanced they'd've had televisions and computers and spacecraft and smartphones and zikmaltaks (like iPods, but the inside "folds up" by going into a higher dimension of spacetime) for millennia, and I just give these languages unanalyzable roots, or in the case of the zikmalktak, a Keitelese invention, have them borrow the word.
The root "Man" means "To Think." Add to that the suffix +Usha/+Ussa meaning "One who is / that which is" and you get the word "Manusha/Manussa" which is the word for "Human/Person" (literally meaning "That which thinks / one who thinks") and is genetically related to the German word "Mensche," and to the English word "Man." The Sanskrit root "Man" is also genetically related to the Latin "Mens" from where we get our English word "Mental."

For me, it's fun, because I'm fascinated with etymology, and as I go through my Sanskrit dictionaries trying to create new words for my conlang, I actually learn a lot about where our own English words ultimately come from!
Cool! I never knew "man/Mensch" and "mental" were related!

I wish you well on your task to create vocabulary for modern things. Here are some sections of the Landau Core Vocabulary that should come in handy for electronic technology:
Spoiler:
===Electronics===
electronic
battery
button, key (to press)
cable
calculator
camera
CD
computer
fax
headphones
photograph, photo, picture
radio (device)
radio (what is broadcast on a radio)
record
robot
screen (of television)
screen (in movie theater)
stereo
tablet
tag (electronic device, for thing)
tag (electronic device, for person)
tape, cassette
telephone, phone
television (set)
television, TV (what is broadcast on a television)
video
video game
system (sound ~)
power (electrical)
power (mechanical)
audio
channel
station
network (in broadcasting)
communication (telecommunications)
off (of a light)
on (of a light)
off (of a machine)
on (of a machine)
to break (a television, etc.)
to play (a song or video)
to tape, to record (video)
to tape, to record (sound only)
to scan (electronically)
scan (image obtained by scanning)
digital
recording (of sound)
recording (of video)
clip (of movie)
clip (of TV show)
clip (of speech)
to contact

===The Telephone===
cellphone, mobile phone
smartphone
to ring
call
to make (a call)
to call
to answer
to speak (on the telephone)
to hold on
to hang up
to text
to contact (by phone)
app
available (is Meg ~?)

===Computers===
to access (data)
to access (file)
to click
developer (company)
file
to install (software)
laptop
program
software
Internet, web
blog
board
chat
email (system)
email (message)
forum
link
online (~ information)
to post
to tweet
user
website

===More Electronics===
adaptor
antenna
beeper
Blu-ray
boom box
copier
DVD
film (for camera)
flat screen
game system, console
iPod
lens (of camera)
microphone
MP3
pager
record player
remote control
speakers
tape recorder
tuner
VCR
videocamera
videotape (cassette)
videotape (material)
webcam
zoom lens
footage
in focus
out of focus
to develop (film)
to print (a photo)
to rewind
to fast-forward
to pause
to stream (receive)
to stream (send)
podcast
to broadcast (on the radio)
to broadcast (on TV)
to broadcast (a game, on the radio)
to broadcast (a game, on TV)
roundup (news ~)
format (of software, recording)
format (of radio station)

===More Telephone===
receiver
cord
pay phone
cordless phone
landline
line
dial
to dial (a number)
touch-tone
to redial
local
long-distance
911 call
missed call
to drop (of a call)
to connect (over the telephone)
to disconnect
collect call
ringtone
answering machine
text message
voicemail (system)
voicemail (message)
charger

===More Computers===
back-up
to back up (a file)
bit
byte
kilobyte
CD-ROM
CPU
cursor
database
to delete
display (on computer screen)
distribution (of software)
to download (transitive)
floppy disk
hard disk
hard drive
icon
keyboard (for computer)
to load
memory
menu
menu bar
microchip
modem
monitor, screen
mouse
operating system
password
printer
to process (data)
programming
to save
to update (software)
to upload (transitive)
virus
window
word processor
address bar
browser
chatroom
to flame
lurker
newsgroup
provider (for Internet service)
search (on computer)
search engine
server
social media
spam
thread
troll
URL
username, screenname
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
MissTerry
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by MissTerry »

Khemehekis wrote: 26 Apr 2022 01:45
I wish you well on your task to create vocabulary for modern things. Here are some sections of the Landau Core Vocabulary that should come in handy for electronic technology:
Spoiler:
===Electronics===
electronic
battery
button, key (to press)
cable
calculator
camera
CD
computer
fax
headphones
photograph, photo, picture
radio (device)
radio (what is broadcast on a radio)
record
robot
screen (of television)
screen (in movie theater)
stereo
tablet
tag (electronic device, for thing)
tag (electronic device, for person)
tape, cassette
telephone, phone
television (set)
television, TV (what is broadcast on a television)
video
video game
system (sound ~)
power (electrical)
power (mechanical)
audio
channel
station
network (in broadcasting)
communication (telecommunications)
off (of a light)
on (of a light)
off (of a machine)
on (of a machine)
to break (a television, etc.)
to play (a song or video)
to tape, to record (video)
to tape, to record (sound only)
to scan (electronically)
scan (image obtained by scanning)
digital
recording (of sound)
recording (of video)
clip (of movie)
clip (of TV show)
clip (of speech)
to contact

===The Telephone===
cellphone, mobile phone
smartphone
to ring
call
to make (a call)
to call
to answer
to speak (on the telephone)
to hold on
to hang up
to text
to contact (by phone)
app
available (is Meg ~?)

===Computers===
to access (data)
to access (file)
to click
developer (company)
file
to install (software)
laptop
program
software
Internet, web
blog
board
chat
email (system)
email (message)
forum
link
online (~ information)
to post
to tweet
user
website

===More Electronics===
adaptor
antenna
beeper
Blu-ray
boom box
copier
DVD
film (for camera)
flat screen
game system, console
iPod
lens (of camera)
microphone
MP3
pager
record player
remote control
speakers
tape recorder
tuner
VCR
videocamera
videotape (cassette)
videotape (material)
webcam
zoom lens
footage
in focus
out of focus
to develop (film)
to print (a photo)
to rewind
to fast-forward
to pause
to stream (receive)
to stream (send)
podcast
to broadcast (on the radio)
to broadcast (on TV)
to broadcast (a game, on the radio)
to broadcast (a game, on TV)
roundup (news ~)
format (of software, recording)
format (of radio station)

===More Telephone===
receiver
cord
pay phone
cordless phone
landline
line
dial
to dial (a number)
touch-tone
to redial
local
long-distance
911 call
missed call
to drop (of a call)
to connect (over the telephone)
to disconnect
collect call
ringtone
answering machine
text message
voicemail (system)
voicemail (message)
charger

===More Computers===
back-up
to back up (a file)
bit
byte
kilobyte
CD-ROM
CPU
cursor
database
to delete
display (on computer screen)
distribution (of software)
to download (transitive)
floppy disk
hard disk
hard drive
icon
keyboard (for computer)
to load
memory
menu
menu bar
microchip
modem
monitor, screen
mouse
operating system
password
printer
to process (data)
programming
to save
to update (software)
to upload (transitive)
virus
window
word processor
address bar
browser
chatroom
to flame
lurker
newsgroup
provider (for Internet service)
search (on computer)
search engine
server
social media
spam
thread
troll
URL
username, screenname
Thank you!

Aha... that list is exactly what I actually need! Thank you for that!

...Different Subject...

I was asked to use Basha Humrayan to translate something called "The Sermon In The Thunder" by someone who lived in India for a while. I didn't want to double post consecutively, so I will post the translation in this post.

What I'll do is first quote "The Sermon In The Thunder" in English as I received it. Below that I will then give the translation in Anglicized Humrayan. And below the Anglicized Humrayan, I will give a detailed breakdown of the words used in the Humrayan translation of "The Sermon In The Thunder":

Michael: Was it not Buddha who heard a sermon in the thunder?
Lucifer: Actually, it is in the Upanishads, but I applaud your ecumenical impulse.
Michael: And the words the thunder said were Datta, Dayadvam, Damyata. Give, sympathize and control. I've always thought of that as one commandment rather than three.
Lucifer: Why do I feel that this particular sermon is being preached at me? I can do control. Nobody is good at everything.
Lucifer: [later] A sermon in the thunder, Michael? Thunder only has one thing to say: it tells us how close the storm is.
Mika’elis: Se te aybuddhashrian ivasam smaschrutat vreyas aye sthighu smaasanyat ya?
Lukivheris: Vaijngayano, te kakshe ayupanishadu as, yevo, mevarat cittrischna prophublogayakaadanan tuan.
Mika’elis: Co, tu pahdwa sthighu gatat se Datta, Dayadvam, Damyata smaasat. Yaklhat ivam Data, Kamphata, Nijhrahata. Aabat agham smawischvolyat citado aivam aika jaaya asatum, yischo yahnte tla.
Lukivheris: Ivartho mevidkuunahe yadto luuvayan ayam vreya rasasanat abhe aghaa as yaye? Mekaruban nijhrahat. Kushtanam sukarat yurokhe saruavidaa as.
Lukivheris: [nitsakan] Vreyas aye sthighu Mika’el yaye? Sthigha rayat aika sahbhva galhatum ubhaiko: vistahmrat naa ivo yadtutan abdimu as.
Notes On Words Used:

Mika’elis: Mika'el+is I tried to keep the pronunciation of Michael as close to the Hebrew as possible. +is is the name suffix and indicates that the what it is attached to is a name, which may not always have a meaning like a word proper.
Se: Is an indicator. It indicates that what follows it is hearsay, that which was heard said, “so-called,” or “So it was said,” or “so I hear…”
Te: Is not a pronoun, but a place holder for when what is being spoken about is not anything. For example, the “it” in our English phrase “it is raining” does not refer to anyting, not an object or thing or idea that exists to be spoken about. “Te Raining As [is/be]” would mean “it is raining.”
Aybuddhashrian: Ay is “the” as a prefix. Buddha is Buddha. Shrian means Venerable, from the Sanskrit word “Shri” like “Shri Hare Krishna.” Thus: “The Venerable Buddha.”
Ivasam: Means “Who / Whom.”
Smaschrutat: sma+schrut+at. Sma is a prefix which means “aleady did” and is also the past tense prefix. Schrut means “Hear.” +At is a verb conjugation suffix. Schrutatum means “To Hear,” and “Schrutat” means “Hear” and indicates that it is a verb.
Vreyas: Vreya+s: Vreya means “Teaching / Doctrine.” +S is the indefinite article suffix. Thus: Vreyas means “A teaching or a preaching of doctrine.”
Aye: means “in.”
Sthighu: Sthigha+u. Sthigha means “thunder.” +U is the definite article suffix. Thus: Sthighu means “The thunder.”
Smaasanyat: Sma+As+Anyatum. Sma is the past tense prefix. As means “Is/Be” as a Base Verb (Asatum means To Be, where +atum is the infinitive verbal suffix). The suffix +Anyatum is also an infinitive verbal suffix but it has the Speculative / Curious Mood. Asanyatum means “To Be” but you are talking about something Being something due to speculation or curiosity. Like if we were to say: “I think I am beautiful, but I’m not sure, I’m just speculating.” Thus: Smaasanyat is the Base Verb in its past tense trying to mean that you think or believe something “was being” something in a curious way, where you are expressing your own curiosity or are thinking out loud.
Ya: Is an indicator. It indicates that the statement spoken is a question which seeks an answer.

Lukivheris: Likivher+is Pronounced as Loo-Kee-Fair. I tried to keep the pronunciation of Lucifer as close to restored classical Latin as possible. +is is the name suffix and indicates that what it is attached to is a name which may not always have a meaning like a word proper.
Vaijngayano: Means “actually” or “truthfully,” or “honestly.”
Kakshe: Means “within.”
Ayupanishadu: Means “The Upanishads.”
As: is the word “Asat” which is the Base Verb “is/be” conjugated from Asatum (to be). Asat in its present tense form is the only verb where the final +at can be dropped.
Yevo: Means “but.”
Mevarat: Me+Varat. Me is the ‘First Objective Singular Person Male’ prefix. Humrayan, like many Southeast Asian languages, has two sets of first person singular pronouns, one for each gender. Varat is conjugated from Varatum meaning “To Praise / To Salute Respectfully.” Thus: mevarat means “I Praise,” but a male is speaking it. Ya+ is the ‘First Objective Singular Person Female’ prefix. And so Yavarat means “I praise,” but a girl is saying it.
Cittrischna: Cita+Trischna. Cita [pronounced as “Chee-Tah”] comes from the Sanskrit Citta, meaning your Heart-mind, the seat of your emotions. Trischna [pronounced as “Tree-Shnah,” rhymes with Krishna] means “Urge.” Thus Cittrischna means an emotional urge or impulse or impulsive thoughts and feelings.
Prophublogayakaadanan: Pro+Phubloga+Yakaada+Ana+An. Pro means “For / To Carry Forward / To Support.” Phubloga means “Public / Society / World Of Common People / Public Order.” Yakaada means “Unity / That which is United.” +Ana is a suffix meaning “A set of beliefs, practices, actions, behavior.” And the suffix +An changes a word into an adjective or descriptor. Thus: prophublogayakaadanan means something like “the quality and characteristic of supporting the beliefs, practices, actions pertaining to the unity of the public,” or approximately “Ecumenismical.”
Tuan: Means the “Second Singular Person Possessive Pronoun” or “Your.”

Co: Pronounced as “Cho,” rhymes with “Go,” and means “And / Also.”
Tu Pahdwa: Tu means “the” but refers to many somethings. Pahdwa means “word.” Thus: Tu pahdwa means “the words.”
Gatat: Is the base verbal conjugation of Gatatum which means “to say or speak with a thunderous voice.”
Datta, Dayadvam, Damyata: Are Sanskrit words proper from the original quote.
Yaklhat: Is the conjugation of the verb Yaklhatum which means “to mean, to signify.”
Ivam: Means “What / That / Which,” the same as the Spanish word “Que.”
Data: Datum+ata. Datum is the word for “to give / to offer.” The suffix +Ata is the imperative suffix where you tell or instruct or command someone to do something.
Kamphata: Kamphatum+ata. Kamphata means “sympathize, empathize,” +Ata is the imperative suffix.
Nijhrahata: Nijhrahatum+ata. Nijhrahata means “control,” +Ata is the imperative suffix.
Aabat: means “have” and is conjugated from Aabatum (to have).
Agham: is the “First Singular Subjective Person Male Pronoun” (it means “I”), and comes from the Sanskrit pronoun “aham” and also is related to the Latin word and pronoun “ego.” For females, the first subjective person singular pronoun is “Anam.”
Smawischvolyat: Sma+Wischvolyat. Sma means “did already.” Wischvolyat is the conjugation of Wischvolyatum. Wischvolyatum is the word “Wischvat” which means “believe” but in the “imaginitive mood” indicated by the suffix +Olyat/+Olyatum. The suffix “+Olyatum” means that what verb or action is done did not happen in the real world, but happened in your mind, your imagination; and thus implies delusion. Wischvolyat means “to believe” but what you believe is only in your own mind and is not real in any way. Thus, smawischvolyat means “believed” but what was believed was never real, never a reality/truth in the real world.
Citado: Means “always / ever.”
Aivam: Pronounced like “Eye-vam,” and means “that.”
Aika: Pronounced as “Eye-kah.” Is the Humrayan word for “one,” as in one, two, three (aika, dwa, tla).
Jaaya: When anglicized, a double vowel is the Long Vowel which is pronounced like the Short Vowel but longer in duration of pronunciation. If the short vowel is half a second long, than the long vowel is one second in duration. Jaaya is the noun form of the verb Jaayatum meaning “to order, command” in the military sense, because Jaayatum is related to the word Jayatum which means “to fight, to battle.” Thus, jaaya means “commandment.”
Asatum: Means “to be.”
Yischo: Means “rather.”
Yahnte: Means “than”
Tla: Means “three” (3).

Ivartho: Means “wherefore / why.”
Mevidkuunahe: Me+Vidkuuna+Ahe. Me is the first person male pronoun prefix attached to verbs. Vidkuuna means “feel / sense” and the suffix +Ahe means “that which or one who passively receives an action/verb." Thus: mevidkuunahe means “I feel” or “I am that which is the receiver of a sensation.”
Yadto: Means “that”
Luuvayan: Means “particular.”
Ayam: Means “this.”
Vreya: Means “teaching / doctrine.” There is no word that exactly means “sermon” in Basha Humrayan, as in a church sermon.
Rasasanat: Ra+Sasana+Atum. Ra is a verbal prefix which means “in the midst of doing or being done right now” or “that which is being done at this very moment as we speak.” Sasana means “teaching, ordinance, instruction,” and the suffix +atum makes a word into a verb which needs to be conjugated by dropping the +um. Thus: rasasanat means “in the midst of preaching / instructing right now.”
Abhe: Mean “at / to.”
Aghaa: Means the “First Person Singular Objective Male Pronoun” in other words, it means “me” but for male speakers. The girl first person singular objective pronoun is “Anaa.”
As: Means “be/is.” It is “Asat” which is the conjugated form of Asatum (to be), but the final +at in this tense can be dropped.
Yaye: Ya+Aye. Ya Indicates that the speaker has asked a question which seeks an answer. The word “Aye” means “within / inside.” Thus: Yaye indicates a rhetorical question being asked. It is a question where the answer remains inside oneself or inside another person and that such answer is not sought to be spoken/revealed. Here Lucifer is asking Michael a question, rhetorically.
Mekaruban: Me+Kar+Uban. Me [pronounced as “may” as in the month of May] is the first person male prefix appended to verbs indicating the doer of the verb. Kar is from Karatum meaning “to do / to make.” The suffix +Uban means “capable of or able to.” Thus: Mekaruban means “I can do / I can make” where a male is saying it (the female version is “yakaruban”).
Nijhrahat: means “control” as a base verb.
Kushtanam: Means “nobody.”
Sukarat: Su+Karat. Su is a prefix which means “good” and Karat means “do/make.”
Yurokhe: Means “with.”
Saruavidaa: Means "everything / all."
As: Means “is/be.”

Nitsakan: Means “later in time.”
Vreyas: Means “a teaching / a doctrine.”
Aye: Means “in.”
Sthighu: Means “the thunder.”
Mika’el is the archangel Michael.
Yaye: Indicates a rhetorical question being asked.
Sthigha: Means “thunder.”
Rayat: Means “have,” from Rayatum (to have).
Aika: Means “one” (the number).
Sahbhva: Means “thing.”
Galhatum: Means “to speak / to sound.”
Ubhaiko: Means “only.”
Vistahmrat: Vi+Stahmratum. Stahmrat is the conjugation of Stahmratum which means “to tell.” The prefix Vi+ is the “First Person Animal or Object or Thing Pronoun Prefix” and indicates “that which does or performs the action” it is appended to. In this case, the prefix Vi+ refers to the thunder, which is doing the “telling.” Thus: Vistahmrat means “it tells.”
Naa: Is the “First Person Objective Plural Pronoun” (in other words, it means “us”).
Ivo: Means “how / in what way”
Yadtutan: Means “near, near by.”
Abdimu: Means “the storm.”
As: Is Asat (is/be) with the final +at dropped.
Last edited by MissTerry on 01 May 2022 15:32, edited 3 times in total.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

MissTerry wrote: 26 Apr 2022 06:05 Thank you!

You're welcome! And it occurred to me, you'll probably want the words for transportation and travel, too:
Spoiler:
===Vehicles===
transportation, transport (for carrying people)
transportation, transport (for carrying goods)
vehicle
vessel (ship or boat)
barge
boat
boat (small, for pleasure)
canoe
kayak
raft (wooden)
raft (rubber)
ship
submarine
chariot
wagon
baby carriage
bicycle
motorcycle
train (on railroad)
train (subway)
car, automobile
taxi, cab
ambulance
bus
fire truck
truck
pickup truck
van (short haul)
van (long haul)
trailer
bulldozer
airplane, plane
helicopter
jet
drone
spacecraft
traffic
traffic (amount of traffic)
heavy (~ traffic)
to direct (traffic)
to take (~ a plane)
drive, ride (take a ~)
ride (as passenger in car)
ride (on bicycle, motorcycle)
ride (on horse, camel)
to wash (a car)
lock (on bicycle)
at sea
on land
in the air
in the city

===Parts of a Car===
engine, motor
hood
wheel
gasoline, gas, petrol

===More Parts of a Car===
accelerator
airbag
air conditioner
battery
brake
dashboard
door
fender
gear
global positioning system (GPS)
headlight
horn
ignition
license plate
odometer
rearview mirror
seatbelt
speedometer
steering wheel
tail light
tank
tire
trunk
turn signal
window
windshield
windshield wiper
pump (for gasoline)

===Sea Travel===
anchor
bow
cabin
deck
fuel
hull
keel
mainsail
mast
oar
paddle
porthole
rudder
sail (on ship)
sail (on smaller boat)
stern
route (of a ship)
to board, to get on, to embark
to get off, to disembark
to land (of a ship)
to navigate, to steer (ship)

===Public Transportation===
fare (for bus)
fare (for train)
fare (for taxi)
parking meter
route (of a bus)
schedule (for train, bus, airplane)
ticket (for bus)
ticket (for train)
transfer
turnstile
vending machine
one-way trip
round trip
to check (someone’s passport/ticket)
to change (~ trains)
to get off, to disembark
to arrive, to come (of a bus/train)
to catch (a bus/train)

===Air Travel===
air sickness bag
baggage claim
black box
cockpit
control tower
customs
duty-free shop
fuel
gate
life vest
lounge
luggage
metal detector
overhead compartment
oxygen mask
parachute
route (of an airplane)
runway (for takeoff)
runway (for landing)
tag (on luggage)
ticket (for plane)
wing
arrival
departure
direct (~ flight)
domestic (flight)
international (flight)
to book (a flight)
to check in (at airport)
to declare (luggage)
airline
to get off, to disembark
to take off
to land (of an airplane)
to start (Tony ~ed from Los Angeles for Tokyo)
to navigate, to steer (aircraft)
to hijack
to crash

===Space Travel===
spaceflight
rocket
shuttle
space station
spacesuit
to launch (rocket)
launching pad
probe
rover
to blast off, to take off
to land (of a spacecraft)
to navigate, to steer (spacecraft)
to orbit
countdown
satellite (artificial)
telescope
And weapons:
Spoiler:
===Weapons===
weapon (for military use)
weapon (any object designed for killing)
arrow (for war)
blade
bomb
bow
bullet
cannon
gun
knife
missile
rifle
rope
spear
sword (cutting)
sword (with light thrusts)
tank
nuclear
target (in war)
lock (on gun)
combat, battle

===More Weapons===
atom bomb
battle-axe
boomerang
cannonball
club
javelin
lance
land mine
mace
machine gun
pistol
slingshot
torpedo
biological (weapon)
armor
shield
♂♥♂♀

MissTerry
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by MissTerry »

Khemehekis wrote: 27 Apr 2022 03:59
MissTerry wrote: 26 Apr 2022 06:05 Thank you!

You're welcome! And it occurred to me, you'll probably want the words for transportation and travel, too:
Spoiler:
===Vehicles===
transportation, transport (for carrying people)
transportation, transport (for carrying goods)
vehicle
vessel (ship or boat)
barge
boat
boat (small, for pleasure)
canoe
kayak
raft (wooden)
raft (rubber)
ship
submarine
chariot
wagon
baby carriage
bicycle
motorcycle
train (on railroad)
train (subway)
car, automobile
taxi, cab
ambulance
bus
fire truck
truck
pickup truck
van (short haul)
van (long haul)
trailer
bulldozer
airplane, plane
helicopter
jet
drone
spacecraft
traffic
traffic (amount of traffic)
heavy (~ traffic)
to direct (traffic)
to take (~ a plane)
drive, ride (take a ~)
ride (as passenger in car)
ride (on bicycle, motorcycle)
ride (on horse, camel)
to wash (a car)
lock (on bicycle)
at sea
on land
in the air
in the city

===Parts of a Car===
engine, motor
hood
wheel
gasoline, gas, petrol

===More Parts of a Car===
accelerator
airbag
air conditioner
battery
brake
dashboard
door
fender
gear
global positioning system (GPS)
headlight
horn
ignition
license plate
odometer
rearview mirror
seatbelt
speedometer
steering wheel
tail light
tank
tire
trunk
turn signal
window
windshield
windshield wiper
pump (for gasoline)

===Sea Travel===
anchor
bow
cabin
deck
fuel
hull
keel
mainsail
mast
oar
paddle
porthole
rudder
sail (on ship)
sail (on smaller boat)
stern
route (of a ship)
to get off, to disembark
to land (of a ship)
to navigate, to steer (ship)

===Public Transportation===
fare (for bus)
fare (for train)
fare (for taxi)
parking meter
route (of a bus)
schedule (for train, bus, airplane)
ticket (for bus)
ticket (for train)
transfer
turnstile
vending machine
one-way trip
round trip
to check (someone’s passport/ticket)
to change (~ trains)
to get off, to disembark
to arrive, to come (of a bus/train)
to catch (a bus/train)

===Air Travel===
air sickness bag
baggage claim
black box
cockpit
control tower
customs
duty-free shop
fuel
gate
life vest
lounge
luggage
metal detector
overhead compartment
oxygen mask
parachute
route (of an airplane)
runway (for takeoff)
runway (for landing)
tag (on luggage)
ticket (for plane)
wing
arrival
departure
direct (~ flight)
domestic (flight)
international (flight)
to book (a flight)
to check in (at airport)
to declare (luggage)
airline
to get off, to disembark
to take off
to land (of an airplane)
to start (Tony ~ed from Los Angeles for Tokyo)
to navigate, to steer (aircraft)
to hijack
to crash

===Space Travel===
spaceflight
rocket
shuttle
space station
spacesuit
to launch (rocket)
launching pad
probe
rover
to blast off, to take off
to land (of a spacecraft)
to navigate, to steer (spacecraft)
to orbit
countdown
satellite (artificial)
telescope
And weapons:
Spoiler:
===Weapons===
weapon (for military use)
weapon (any object designed for killing)
arrow (for war)
blade
bomb
bow
bullet
cannon
gun
knife
missile
rifle
rope
spear
sword (cutting)
sword (with light thrusts)
tank
nuclear
target (in war)
lock (on gun)
combat, battle

===More Weapons===
atom bomb
battle-axe
boomerang
cannonball
club
javelin
lance
land mine
mace
machine gun
pistol
slingshot
torpedo
biological (weapon)
armor
shield
Ah yes ː) Thoseǃ I have a lot of thinking to do now. Thank you.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

MissTerry wrote: 27 Apr 2022 05:47 Ah yes ː) Thoseǃ I have a lot of thinking to do now. Thank you.
You're welcome!

Tell me if there are any more categories you need.
♂♥♂♀

MissTerry
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by MissTerry »

Khemehekis wrote: 27 Apr 2022 09:03
MissTerry wrote: 27 Apr 2022 05:47 Ah yes ː) Thoseǃ I have a lot of thinking to do now. Thank you.
You're welcome!

Tell me if there are any more categories you need.
Those will keep me busy for a long time ː) I appreciate itǃ
Znex
roman
roman

Post by Znex »

A good chance to make up an informal catalogue of my current conlangs:

Cauclang:
Phonology: NE Caucasian, Proto-Germanic, Byzantine Greek, Old Japanese, Turkic, Persian, Arabic
Grammar: NE Caucasian, NW Caucasian, Kiranti (Sino-Tibetan), Na-Dené, Yeniseian, Chukotcho
Vocab: PIE, Turkic, Old Chinese, Caucasian, others?

Tochlang:
Phonology: Tocharian, Algonquian, Iroquoian, Sioux, Utian, Caddoan
Grammar: Tocharian, Algonquian
Vocab: Tocharian, Algonquian

Greeklang:
Phonology: Ancient Greek to Modern Greek, Sanskrit to Pali to New Indo-Aryan, Dravidian, Iranian, Turkic
Grammar: Greek, Indo-Aryan
Vocab: Greek, Indo-Aryan, Iranian, Syriac/Aramaic, Arabic, Dravidian

Hawntow 2:
Phonology: Papuan, Oceanic, others?
Grammar: Papuan (eg. Yimas), Oceanic, Uto-Aztecan, Mayan, Pirahã, others?
Vocab: Papuan, Oceanic, Pirahã
:eng: : [tick] | :grc: : [:|] | :chn: :isr: :wls: : [:S] | :deu: :ell: :rus: : [:x]
Conlangs: Hawntow, Yorkish, misc.
she/her
Cellular Automaton
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Cellular Automaton »

My first "real"* conlang, Nyosangeyish, was inspired by Turkish and Malay. My current one**, 'aadachi, has aesthetic and grammatical influences from Bengali, Portuguese, and various languages of the southeast US (primarily Cherokee, since it has a lot of documentation). I'm also playing with a language idea which has an anti-five-vowel system /ɨ ɛ ɔ a ɑ/ and is very fricative- and nasal-heavy; that idea was inspired by "inverting" the phonology of Toki Pona.
* as in, usable in any tangible way
** the one I'm working on right now
Park Bom
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Park Bom »

my new conlang try was inspired with uralic and slavic languages :)