Currently Unnamed Experiment (CUE) - Comments desired

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Arzemju
cuneiform
cuneiform

Re: Currently Unnamed Experiment (CUE) - Comments desired

Post by Arzemju »

MrKrov wrote:Eh. "Fix" in place or "fix" in number, doesn't change there's more than one.
to sleep, to breathe, to eat: do you see any FIX (i mean that it CANT have other than the fix infinitive) infinitive here? I don't...
french: manger, apprendre, prendre, respirer, grandir: I do personally see fix infinitive, I won't see a verb like grandeg or anything else that isn't -ir -re -er.

I don't like people like you, and for now I will ignore you, I hope it'll make you stop being so... annoying.
Fluent: :fra: :eng: | Learning: :esp: :tgl: :epo:
teh_Foxx0rz
sinic
sinic

Post by teh_Foxx0rz »

I think I see what you're saying, a suffix, or at least an affix.

Edit: Or maybe not. If not, English only has one way to form the infinitive: the preposition "to". The others are just saying (I think) that while French may have a select few different forms of it, there are still more than in English.
MrKrov
banned

Post by MrKrov »

Arzemju wrote:
MrKrov wrote:Eh. "Fix" in place or "fix" in number, doesn't change there's more than one.
to sleep, to breathe, to eat: do you see any FIX (i mean that it CANT have other than the fix infinitive) infinitive here? I don't...
french: manger, apprendre, prendre, respirer, grandir: I do personally see fix infinitive, I won't see a verb like grandeg or anything else that isn't -ir -re -er.
Wow. If it's not a suffix it's random to you. I gave way too much credit to you.
Spoiler:
Hey guess what: despite being a preposition and identical in all the examples and therefore totally random, dude, it sure looks more consistent.
I don't like people like you, and for now I will ignore you, I hope it'll make you stop being so... annoying.
Boo hoo.
Chelsara
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Chelsara »

...Anyway... I will continue explaining CUE.

CUE is Object Subject Verb (The ball / she / throws)

CUE has 5 tenses at the moment: Continuous Present (-irel), Simple Past (-iţar/-izar), Simple Present (-ilus), Continuous Past, and Possibility.

CUE takes inspiration from a little Latin, a little English, and a little Spanish.

More later.
Arzemju
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Arzemju »

Chelsara wrote:...Anyway... I will continue explaining CUE.

CUE is Object Subject Verb (The ball / she / throws)

CUE has 5 tenses at the moment: Continuous Present (-irel), Simple Past (-iţar/-izar), Simple Present (-ilus), Continuous Past, and Possibility.

CUE takes inspiration from a little Latin, a little English, and a little Spanish.

More later.
Are endings accorded to who they refer? (ex french: je marche, tu marches, .. nous marchons)
Fluent: :fra: :eng: | Learning: :esp: :tgl: :epo:
Crumbs
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Crumbs »

IPA for your alphabet (going off the semi-english transcriptions you gave) -
a: ɑ
v: bva
c: tʃa
d: dða
t: ta
z: tsa
e: ɛ
f: θa
h: ha
i: ɪ
j: ʒtʃɑ
l: lɑ
m: mɑ
n: nɑ
p: fɑ
r: ɹɑ
s: sɑ
u: uː
y: jɑ
Now, are these sounds you gave actually how the letters are pronounced, or what there "names" are? I hope the former, but it's probably the latter. If so, why are their names such and how are the actual letters pronounced?

The "possibility" tense (as opposed to future) is a pretty interesting idea, mainly in what it reflects about your conculture that must speak this supposed language. How will this belief going to effect the rest of the language, or have you not thought that far ahead yet?

Inflection, isolating, agglutinating? Photosynthetic?

Word order? (Besides OSV basic).

First Conlang? If so, nice start.

@Arzemju: "to" is definitely a fix by the way you're defining it. Infinitives don't need to be suffixes and only generally are in romlangs.
Chelsara
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Chelsara »

Crumbs wrote:IPA for your alphabet (going off the semi-english transcriptions you gave) -
a: ɑ
v: bva
c: tʃa
d: dða
t: ta
z: tsa
e: ɛ
f: θa
h: ha
i: ɪ
j: ʒtʃɑ
l: lɑ
m: mɑ
n: nɑ
p: fɑ
r: ɹɑ
s: sɑ
u: uː
y: jɑ
Now, are these sounds you gave actually how the letters are pronounced, or what there "names" are? I hope the former, but it's probably the latter. If so, why are their names such and how are the actual letters pronounced?
Thank you for all of your feedback!

That is how the letters are pronounced, but I've written them in IPA since then. For now their names are basically the non-IPA transcription.
Crumbs wrote:The "possibility" tense (as opposed to future) is a pretty interesting idea, mainly in what it reflects about your conculture that must speak this supposed language. How will this belief going to effect the rest of the language, or have you not thought that far ahead yet?
I honestly haven't thought that far ahead. I usually don't create conlangs for concultures, just for my own use and the beauty of them. Many of the aspects of a language I didn't create for a conculture come from my own beliefs, tendencies, and things like that. For example, in my other conlang, the word "sentence" literately means "a thread of words." Similarly, the word "to meander" means literately "to walk a river."

The possibility tense is something I have in a few of my conlangs, used to signify "I could ___" or "I might ___." It just makes sense to me to have it that way, seeing as "I could ___" or "I might ____" is not saying "I will ____" or "I am going to ____."

I may make CUE be for a conworld I created the other day, but I'm not sure if I want to use this exact version of CUE for an "alien" world. After all, many of the words in CUE are based on human, English concepts. Ironically, the conpeople in the conworld are naturally, almost overly, trusting and tend to explain themselves more than necessary so their errors in speaking won't be taken as truth (ex: "I am going to the store," as spoken by a person from the conpeople I created, might be "Within the hour I will go to the store," so a listener would not think they are in the process of going to the store at that moment). The possibility tense could do them some good...
Crumbs wrote:Inflection, isolating, agglutinating? Photosynthetic?
I'm a little fuzzy on those terms, but from what I know CUE is an agglutinating language. I haven't done enough with CUE to know for sure though.
Crumbs wrote:Word order? (Besides OSV basic).
Fuzzy there too. But, if I understand, you want to know where adjectives go, etc. Adjectives are attached to the end of the noun it is describing with a dash (ex: "cansé-ero" = "conlang-bad"). Other than that, I have no clue of other aspects.
Crumbs wrote:First Conlang? If so, nice start.
This is conlang #2.5 for me. My first is J'Linguonar Avan (an example is in my signature), and my .5th one is Sendore (I never finished it, so .5), and this is my second. But thanks anyway!
MrKrov
banned

Post by MrKrov »

Crumbs wrote:@Arzemju: "to" is definitely a fix by the way you're defining it. Infinitives don't need to be suffixes and only generally are in romlangs.
Spoiler:
No.