Quick experimentation

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Arzemju
cuneiform
cuneiform

Quick experimentation

Post by Arzemju »

Hi, being bored as always, i wrote down completely random things. But one came to my mind: "my name is" into NO conlang, it just came to my mind and I wrote it. Now I want to know what kind of morphology would allow this:

Huenamânwe'i Arzemju. Konlanger gewuân'i
[ʍɛnamaŋweʔji arzemju. kɔnlaŋgər gəwuʔanʔi]

hue-nam-ân-we-'i Arzemju. Konlanger gewu-ân-'i
[negation-TO BE NAMED-present-incertitude-1st person singular] Arzemju. Konlanger [TO BE-present-1st person singular]

My name is Arzemju. I am a conlanger

This is not any real conlang, but one could derive from this portion of text. IPA is just a suggestion: althought it is not meant to be a phonetical conlang (ipa = text)
Any thoughts: agglutinative, polysynthetical ; SVO, VSO, SOV???
Fluent: :fra: :eng: | Learning: :esp: :tgl: :epo:
Golahet
cuneiform
cuneiform

Re: Quick experimentation

Post by Golahet »

Arzemju wrote:hue-nam-ân-we-'i Arzemju. Konlanger gewu-ân-'i
[negation-TO.BE.NAMED-present-incertitude-1st.person.singular] Arzemju. Konlanger [TO.BE-present-1st.person.singular]
Please don't use spaces when glossing morphemes, it makes the gloss hard to glance at, since I'm expecting a word boundary in the object language when I see a space in the gloss.

Arzemju wrote:Any thoughts: agglutinative, polysynthetical ; SVO, VSO, SOV???
It could go either way. Though it seems you have already decided agglutinating, and the language certainly looks more synthetic than English. Whether it is polysynthetic or just ordinarily synthetic could go either way, but the verbs only agree with the subject, and in general it doesn't look polysynthetic. I don't know why the objects of the verbs are in different places. Maybe it is SOV in non-negative clauses and SVO in negative clauses. What's the literal translation, "I am not to be named Arzemju"?

Maybe the different orders are due to animacy hierarchy, since "Arzemju" is an inanimate label and "konlanger" refers to a person, so it might be SOV when the object is animate, and SVO when the object is inanimate, or something.
Arzemju
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Arzemju »

Mahal wrote:
Arzemju wrote:hue-nam-ân-we-'i Arzemju. Konlanger gewu-ân-'i
[negation-TO.BE.NAMED-present-incertitude-1st.person.singular] Arzemju. Konlanger [TO.BE-present-1st.person.singular]
Please don't use spaces when glossing morphemes, it makes the gloss hard to glance at, since I'm expecting a word boundary in the object language when I see a space in the gloss.

Arzemju wrote:Any thoughts: agglutinative, polysynthetical ; SVO, VSO, SOV???
It could go either way. Though it seems you have already decided agglutinating, and the language certainly looks more synthetic than English. Whether it is polysynthetic or just ordinarily synthetic could go either way, but the verbs only agree with the subject, and in general it doesn't look polysynthetic. I don't know why the objects of the verbs are in different places. Maybe it is SOV in non-negative clauses and SVO in negative clauses. What's the literal translation, "I am not to be named Arzemju"?

Maybe the different orders are due to animacy hierarchy, since "Arzemju" is an inanimate label and "konlanger" refers to a person, so it might be SOV when the object is animate, and SVO when the object is inanimate, or something.
Negative clauses is SVO, non-negative clauses are SOV yes. But if I make a conlang out of this I might want to opt for a precise order.

Literal translation is: I am probably not named Arzemju. (where Hue- indicates the negation and -we the incertitude/probability)
And, what kind of languages does those samples remind you (altaic, indo-european, sino-tibetan, afro-asiatic ...)
MrKrov
banned

Post by MrKrov »

Nothing. It's just "keeping on, keeping on" agglutinativity. It could be anything.
Maximillian
greek
greek

Post by Maximillian »

What's the logic in saying "I am probably not named X" to mean "I am named X"?
UNUS•ET•UNICUS
Arzemju
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Arzemju »

Maximillian wrote:What's the logic in saying "I am probably not named X" to mean "I am named X"?
Just an error. Not very important though, at least not for me.
Maximillian
greek
greek

Post by Maximillian »

Arzemju wrote:Just an error. Not very important though, at least not for me.
What do you mean?
UNUS•ET•UNICUS