Most hated conlang

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Re: Most hated conlang

Post by Lao Kou »

CrazyEttin wrote:It uses both word order and case marking for marking arguments, for starters,
So?
and the original grammar isn’t even complete even though it claims to be, in many parts it assumes the reader knows a SAE language and thinks the way SAE langs do stuff is the "right" way.
This may be true, but I doubt holes in the grammar defaulting to SAE were about assumptions of it being "right" rather than it being just default assumed to be default. Unless someone channels Zamenhof, we can't know.
Someone wrote an excellent text, Ranto, describing in detail how it fails in every way:
Guess I'll have to read said article to see how it fails in every way.
Edit: Looked at your link; hardly seems a balanced critique rather than a Limbaughesque rant aimed at those already primed to diss Esperanto.
some of it can be excused by its time and place, i guess, like eurocentrism, but not all of it.
If Esperanto asks to be excused of anything, I'd rather hear it from those who actually speak it fluently or 2G speakers, who have the power and inclination to move it forward. While Zamenhof may have been defined by time and place, he also had the advantage of not being inundated by the web and naysayers who would tell him why his idea or parts thereof sucked each and every step of the way. What IAL since has been proposed that doesn't have a retenue of critics describing in detail how it fails in every way (hence, never getting off the ground)?
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Ear of the Sphinx
mayan
mayan

Post by Ear of the Sphinx »

Adarain wrote:Those are quite good points that I've never really considered. I guess it's fair to say that Esperanto was a good attempt for the time it was created, but (imo) has no right to still be considered one in modern times, the only reason it's popular is because it already is - if someone made it now, it would definitely not catch on.
But Esperanto isn't hated because of it being a bad auxlang (English is even worse as an auxlang, but it is commonly used; Elefen is a much better one, still nobody knows of it).

Esperanto is hated because it's so popular it distorts the general public's view of constructed languages. It is like Ubuntu among Linux systems or like E. L. James among BDSM writers — if you tell an average person you're creating a conlang they are going to associate it with the conlang they're most likely to have heard of, even though yours has a completely different goal in mind, is based on a completely different philosophy and was created using objectively superior tools and knowledge. Cue questions like “How many people speak your language?”, “Is it easier to learn than English/Chinese/Esperanto?”, “What does the alphabet look like?”
Thrice the brinded cat hath mew'd.
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

Ear of the Sphinx wrote:Esperanto is hated because it's so popular it distorts the general public's view of constructed languages.
I seriously doubt the general public knows enough about Esperanto to care about it, let alone hate it.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Isfendil
greek
greek

Post by Isfendil »

I am very confused. One of the languages mentioned here is hated supposedly because it lacks a copula, but many languages almost completely lack a copula. Old Babylonian just has a word for "exist", there is no verb for "to be", and most copula phrases are timeless and verbless.
Does E-Prime mean something different?

Also the only language I really hated was my own, Edyssian, and only in hindsight after I rewrote it following my acquisition of glorious linguistimacal knowledge (before I knew linguistics, I knew about language families. Edyssian was indo european so I thought it would be easy: I just produced mangled cognates in my head. It was not at all unworkable though, much of the Old language was easily repurposed and actually kinda conformed with sound changes. Funny how we can do that subconciously). I'm fairly happy with it now, although morphologically I don't really know where to go with it (I keep reading about conlangs with 48+ pages of morphology and I honestly don't understand how you could need so much even though you probably do and I am missing some fundamental gubbins).
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

I really hate this thread more than I've ever hated a conlang. I guess I can only blame myself for reading it. :roll:
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

DesEsseintes wrote:I really hate this thread more than I've ever hated a conlang. I guess I can only blame myself for reading it. :roll:
(hug) maybe you just have a very open mind (:
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien »

Lao Kou wrote:
Ear of the Sphinx wrote:Esperanto is hated because it's so popular it distorts the general public's view of constructed languages.
I seriously doubt the general public knows enough about Esperanto to care about it, let alone hate it.
[+1]

I heard about Quenya and Sindarin before I ever heard of Esperanto. And ditto for Klingon [:P]
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

KaiTheHomoSapien wrote:
Lao Kou wrote:
[+1]

I heard about Quenya and Sindarin before I ever heard of Esperanto. And ditto for Klingon [:P]
lol

I think I started to create conlangs before I even had a clear idea about what conlangs are...

Speaking of the public view of conlangs and Esperanto, an encyclopedia of an electronic dictionary I had when I was in high school states that Conlangs as something similar to Esperanto, if my memory is not wrong...=_="
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
Ear of the Sphinx
mayan
mayan

Post by Ear of the Sphinx »

Lao Kou wrote:
I'm not saying general public cares about or hates Esperanto*.

I'm saying Esperanto is one of the few languages the general public is likely to know and it's the one vastly different from most of the languages the conlanging community cares about.

*) or Quenya, or Sindarin, or Klingon, or Slovio, for that matter…
I think I started to create conlangs before I even had a clear idea about what conlangs are...
Yep, and I started to create conlangs before I even had a clear idea about my own L1's grammar.
Thrice the brinded cat hath mew'd.
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

DesEsseintes wrote:I really hate this thread more than I've ever hated a conlang. I guess I can only blame myself for reading it. :roll:
I don't blame you.
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

Close your eyes and think of England. [;)]
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Isfendil
greek
greek

Post by Isfendil »

Ear of the Sphinx wrote:
Yep, and I started to create conlangs before I even had a clear idea about my own L1's grammar.
Hey it's the same here! Although for non IE all I could do was make words (without grammar) and use english's dead letters in the same unusual ways that I had seen them used before.
LinguoFranco
greek
greek

Post by LinguoFranco »

Chagla wrote:Just had a look into Solresol. The concept looks brilliant, but don't think anyone would be able to communicate effectively in a language that is even less complicated as Toki Pona, Hawai'ian or Japanese as there would be way too many homophones.

Then tones woulḑ have to be introduced... *facepalm*

My vote goes more towards Klingon. I mean, what was the guy smoking? He just made his language unspeakable.

Oh yes, +1 for Eragon Ancient Speak for being too much Copypasta on Old Norse. Bad boy, bad boy!
Klingon was designed to be alien as its fictional native speakers are, well... Aliens. It's not meant to be a human language, though if I were president I would establish mandatory Klingon classes in public schools.

I agree that Solresol is brilliant, but I feel like the words would all sound too similar. It would just get confusing.

I personally thought about creating a conlang using the abbreviations of the elements on the periodic table.
Xing
MVP
MVP

Post by Xing »

Zumir wrote:Do you know of any conlangs that are a dependable source of facepalms? If so, do tell!
Maybe Vötgil?

Or more generally, any "hey, look at my new lang that I've spend 7 years creating that has no flaws and that will solve the world's problems if everyone learned it"-auxlang.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Xing wrote:Maybe Vötgil?
I agree. 100,000+ words in English or 77,000 words in Esperanto (or 51,832 words in Kankonian) is a feature, not a bug. With only 600 words, you're going to need to memorize a lot of circumlocutions and set phrases.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 88,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Parlox
greek
greek

Post by Parlox »

I know i'm a bit late to the discussion, but i wish to first state that i don't like auxlangs much, language is part of culture, and variety is nice.

The only language i have ever hated the sound of is my conlang Podmåri. And Klingon doesn't sound terrible to me.
:con: Gândölansch (Gondolan)Feongkrwe (Feongrkean)Tamhanddön (Tamanthon)Θανηλοξαμαψⱶ (Thanelotic)Yônjcerth (Yaponese)Ba̧supan (Basupan)Mùthoķán (Mothaucian) :con:
Fluffy8x
cuneiform
cuneiform

Re: Most hated clongo

Post by Fluffy8x »

Xing wrote: 20 Aug 2016 22:57
Zumir wrote:Do you know of any clongos that are a dependable source of facepalms? If so, do tell!
Maybe Vötgil?

Or more generally, any "hey, look at my new lang that I've spend 7 years creating that has no flaws and that will solve the world's problems if everyone learned it"-auxlang.
Yeah, Vötgil is so bad that I've learnt it just for the memeity. Seriously, <ö> /ɑ/? I first heard of it from Cönlang Critic's episode on it.

I'm also not a fan of Esperanto because of its fiasco with gender and its Eurocentrism.

(and there's also Arka...)
The creator of ŋarâþ crîþ v9.