My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Re: Yay or Nay?

Post by Salmoneus »

Micamo wrote: 02 Aug 2018 12:33 Would anyone care if I started conlanging again
Sorry, I'm not sure I understand the question?

Do you mean would anyone object? [which would be the normal interpretation IMD but seems to require some strange assumptions]
Or do you mean would anyone have sympathy and compassion?

It seems the most likely meaning is that you're asking whether anyone would be happy - but for the record, I don't think that's a normal way to ask that question IMD ('care' almost always being negative in some way).

But if that is your question, then the answer of course is 'it depends'.
If you want to start conlanging again, and do, then that of course would be good and I - and i'm sure others - would be glad to hear it.
But if you don't want to start conlanging again and do because for some reason you feel you have to, then that would be bad and I - and doubtless most people - would be sad to hear it.
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

Hey Micamo. I would definitely like having you around again.
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

The obvious answer is a resounding "yes"; you are a valued member of our community and we always look forward to your projects, insights, and comments. The less-than-obvious answer is: "Why are you framing this as a pass-agg question?"
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

Yes, yes, yes [:)] I always loved your work
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

[<3]
Would be the best thing evar!
Lao Kou wrote: 02 Aug 2018 14:04"Why are you framing this as a pass-agg question?"
What is a “pass-egg question”?
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

I would care, positively.
Come back to conlanging and conworlding if you have the energy and time to do so. [:)]
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

If you'd like to return, I think it would be wonderful to see you back.

DesEsseintes wrote: 02 Aug 2018 18:46
Lao Kou wrote: 02 Aug 2018 14:04"Why are you framing this as a pass-agg question?"
What is a “pass-egg question”?
I don't agree with the assessment, but I believe Lao Kou meant "passive aggressive".
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

As a diagnosis (not what I think was intended), I also think “pass-agg” would have been, at best, premature.

But as a humorous exaggeration (which I thought was intended), I thought it was appropriate-ish.

—————

Main point: @ Micamo, I can hardly wait to see another semiprecious-stone-named project!
Amethyst is my birthstone; are you done with it?

Did you make progress on S.E.E.D.?
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

I'm a great big very mentally ill baby who requires a constant stream of validation to not implode

Eldin why do you remember my April Fool's jokes from 2011
Last edited by Micamo on 03 Aug 2018 14:44, edited 1 time in total.
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

just do conlanging again if you want to, @Micamo
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

Micamo wrote: 03 Aug 2018 14:43 Eldin why do you remember my April Fool's jokes from 2011
Wasn’t it 2016?

Also: if you start conlanging again, I might drag Híí out of its grave and start working on it again. Psst, there might be word-final r now! (Shock! Horror!)
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

No wishy-washiness here: YES, I care. You've been gone a while, for whatever reasons, and are now come back. I for one would love to hear more of your stories and see you return to the discussions of the day.

Oh, and, yes: do continue with the language invention!
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn »

I'm currently working on figuring out the grade levels in which Ởnh·Vú speakers learn different characters and i've run into a bit of a conundrum. Typically I base them off the Chinese and Japanese grades the characters are learned in but I'm not sure what to do about the character 銀. In Chinese its learned in 4th grade while in Japan its learned in 3rd. However in Ởnh·Vú, its only used in the words 銀行 (bank) and 水銀 (mercury). Given that bank is a pretty common word, would it be too much to include this character as one learned in 5th grade, or should I hold it back until later?
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

(Post #9999.)
All4Ɇn wrote: 08 Aug 2018 15:18 I'm currently working on figuring out the grade levels in which Ởnh·Vú speakers learn different characters and i've run into a bit of a conundrum. Typically I base them off the Chinese and Japanese grades the characters are learned in but I'm not sure what to do about the character 銀. In Chinese its learned in 4th grade while in Japan its learned in 3rd. However in Ởnh·Vú, its only used in the words 銀行 (bank) and 水銀 (mercury). Given that bank is a pretty common word, would it be too much to include this character as one learned in 5th grade, or should I hold it back until later?
I think you should be fine having this character learned later on, relatively speaking, especially if only two words in the entire language are written with it. Also, while "bank" is a common word for people in general, I think it should be taken into consideration how often children would need to write it.
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

All4Ɇn wrote: 08 Aug 2018 15:18 I'm currently working on figuring out the grade levels in which Ởnh·Vú speakers learn different characters and i've run into a bit of a conundrum. Typically I base them off the Chinese and Japanese grades the characters are learned in but I'm not sure what to do about the character 銀. In Chinese its learned in 4th grade while in Japan its learned in 3rd. However in Ởnh·Vú, its only used in the words 銀行 (bank) and 水銀 (mercury). Given that bank is a pretty common word, would it be too much to include this character as one learned in 5th grade, or should I hold it back until later?
another choice: list it as a common character but not taught at element schools.
shimobaatar wrote: 08 Aug 2018 16:02 (Post #9999.)
I think you should be fine having this character learned later on, relatively speaking, especially if only two words in the entire language are written with it. Also, while "bank" is a common word for people in general, I think it should be taken into consideration how often children would need to write it.
10,000 posts! congrats, 霜勇者
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
ixals
sinic
sinic

Post by ixals »

I know nothing about how Chinese characters are learnt, but how do speakers learn characters that aren't taught in school (I assume not every character can be taught in school)?

Concerning Ởnh·Vú: Does 銀 even need to be learnt in (primary) school? Adults probably talk enough about going to the bank and banks have a big flashing "銀行" above their entrance, children can put one and one together, right? In the end it's a combination of 金 and 艮, which children will learn how to write earlier (I assume again because they look quite easy). Also 行 is probably learnt earlier than 銀 as well, right? So children would have all they need for this character I guess?
Native: :deu:
Learning: :gbr:, :chn:, :tur:, :fra:

Zhér·dûn a tonal Germanic conlang

old stuff: Цiски | Noattȯč | Tungōnis Vīdīnōs
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

ixals wrote: 08 Aug 2018 16:31 I know nothing about how Chinese characters are learnt, but how do speakers learn characters that aren't taught in school (I assume not every character can be taught in school)?

Concerning Ởnh·Vú: Does 銀 even need to be learnt in (primary) school? Adults probably talk enough about going to the bank and banks have a big flashing "銀行" above their entrance, children can put one and one together, right? In the end it's a combination of 金 and 艮, which children will learn how to write earlier (I assume again because they look quite easy). Also 行 is probably learnt earlier than 銀 as well, right? So children would have all they need for this character I guess?
not every character nneds to be taught, but usually students need to learn a sufficient amount of them, having a concept of reading and writing I think

students usually learn how to express their speech with certain phonemic spellings(which are never used as a major way to write in Chinese-speaking areas, but is used along with the logograms in Japanese-speaking areas. In Chinese-speaking areas, the phonemic writings are only used as an assistance for children to initiate the learning of reading) before starting to learn the logographic characters.

first children learn phonemic spellings, then they learn the logographic characters marked with how they are pronounced and how to associate the characters with their meanings.

maybe my explanation is not good enough though
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn »

Thanks for the replies everyone! You’ve all brought up some great points :). As someone who doesn’t speak Chinese and has only been studying Japanese for two years, and has had absolutely no experience in either country’s school systems, it can be really difficult judging how something like this issue would unfold in those countries. I have to say, creating Ởnh·Vú has been a far more amazing way to learn about East Asian cultures than I ever would have expected. It’s strengthened my love for conlanging in a way I didn’t see coming.
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

All4Ɇn wrote: 09 Aug 2018 02:57I have to say, creating Ởnh·Vú has been a far more amazing way to learn about East Asian cultures than I ever would have expected. It’s strengthened my love for conlanging in a way I didn’t see coming.
So gratifying to hear that. The opportunity to learn about natlangs and -cultures is one of the most worthwhile aspects of a posteriori conlanging. [:)]