Ko:q Qləqo: - A Romp into Isolating Stuff and Transparency

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Pirka
roman
roman

Re: Ko:q Qləqo: - A Romp into Isolating Stuff and Transparen

Post by Pirka »

13intr. A Discussion of Nominal Categories: an Introduction

KQ's nominal categories are a funny thing. Normally, I would like to explain categories in the order they occur in whatever paradigm they exist, but, despite being on completely different ends of the hierarchy, some categories are heavily interdependent on each other, thus they are best explained together; if I explained the categories in order I would be constantly referring to a post that I had already (or not yet) written. As such, the content of the following three posts will be in such an order: neocompounding; the adverbalizer/adposition markers; and the topicalizer/relationship/demonstrative markers.

Enjoy.
Edit: Tomorrow; tonight, I sleep.
Edit: Two days late. No big. No big.
Pirka
roman
roman

Post by Pirka »

12x. Noun Class: The Story of /mədʷ/

/mədʷ/, orth. ma:du, “bird”, is one of the words in KQ that is not part of the most logical noun class: it is abstract and not concrete, as is expected. Why is this? To answer this question we must delve deeper into the history of the language and beyond.

The land in which KQ is spoken is called the Land of Bridges - Sɨ:la: Gʷanəq Manəms - due to the inhabitants’ long-term fascination with bridges. This fascination, along with many other facets of their culture, was passed on to the speakers of KQ from the unnamed culture that resided in the Land of Bridges long before the speakers of KQ arrived. Their language, which I dub pre-KQ (henceforth pKQ), has very strongly influenced KQ. As you might have guessed, ma:du is the result of this influence.

Ma:du was borrowed from a word that looked something like *amáru, phonemically */aˈmaru/, and phonetically *[ɐˈmaːɾʉ].

Before I discuss how exactly the word was borrowed, I need to discuss a substrate influence into KQ: noun class.

pKQ had four noun classes: rationals, irrationals, concretes, and abstracts. Of them, KQ inherited the three you saw above, merging the irrationals and concretes. Along with the category of noun class, KQ inherited the practice of prefixing agreeing items as well as the prefixes for concretes (/s-/) and abstracts (/0-/).

Since the system of noun class assignment is largely semantic and self-explanatory, there are relatively few instances of illogically classed nouns. As mentioned above, ma:du is one of them. The reason for this is the abstract zero-prefix was inherited from *a-, the marker used in pKQ to indicate abstract nouns (unlike KQ, pKQ marked all nouns for noun class). However, *amáru was not abstract; it was irrational, but it belonged to a special group of non-abstract words that happened to have a homophonous but unrelated prefix, which originated as a diminutive derivational prefix and extended into a semantically empty derivational prefix (that didn't affect the root's noun class assignment in any way; when used as an actual diminutive, though, it did).

At approximately the same time that *amáru was borrowed, *a- was zeroized and borrowed as KQ /0-/. It was analyzed as being abstract even though it wasn't semantically that.

The resulting *a-less word began to gain a phonemic standing in KQ, in contrast with /jəj/, a more recent loan into KQ which has't yet gained a phonemic standing and is thus realized as [jaj]. Today, the word is pronounced [ma:du]: the centralized back vowel decentralized to , and the flap was realized as [d]. This word's underlying form was now /mədʷ/. This word is not phonotactically valid in KQ; the schwa may not precede a bilabial (in fact, this phonotactic limitation determines which words can receive a schwaddition), therefore it is easily singled out as a loanword.

The phonemization of ma:du allowed it to inflect like any other KQ word, primarily when it comes to plurality: words that end in a labialized consonant pluralize by schwadding after the labialized consonant. Thus, the plural underlying form is /mədʷə/ and phonetically [madʷa]. It's interesting that a foreign word looks like the most "irregular" plural in the language.
Prinsessa
runic
runic

Post by Prinsessa »

dum what this thred do on da 2nd pag dat dum

I still like how you stole Hungary's magpies. Also amáru was pretty word in itself. You need to have a more truthful cognate elsewhere.
Also, schwaddition best word ever.
Pirka
roman
roman

Post by Pirka »

It's on the next page because there's even less of a chance for people to see it if I don't post it as a separate post and I just edit post #12.

Also, Hungarian magpies wut. Also I will make the substrate language eventually.
Prinsessa
runic
runic

Post by Prinsessa »

Pirka wrote:Also, Hungarian magpies wut.
Along with other fowls, of course.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/mad%C3%A1r
Pirka
roman
roman

Post by Pirka »

Skógvur wrote:
Pirka wrote:Also, Hungarian magpies wut.
Along with other fowls, of course.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/mad%C3%A1r
obviously madár is from mədʷ haha lol jk
Spoiler:
Pirka
roman
roman

Post by Pirka »

long time no post

13a. A Discussion of Nominal Categories (and more I guess): Compounding

While in an above post I stated that I would start with a post about a concept I dubbed “neocompounding”, I realized that it wouldn’t do to talk about that without going over why it’s neocompounding and how that differs from the other type of compounding, paleocompounding.

Paleocompounding, as the name suggests, is the form of compounding that developed earlier in the language's history. It normally involved prefixing modifier roots to head roots, but suffixing is not uncommon; for example, /s-nəj/ "milk (lit. water-mother)" and /də-n/ "circle, wheel" (lit. circling-thing, result of going in circles). The most common paleocompounded root is the prefixed /s/, meaning "water", which doesn't actually occur outside of paleocompounds. (In its stead, a loanword, /jəj/, from West Kaynur /jaj/, which is cognate to East Kaynur /ijoj/, has been adopted.)

The semantic significance of paleocompounding is, nowadays, mostly lexical; while some paleocompounding morphemes are productive, for example the actor suffix /-s/ and the resultative suffix /-n/, the remaining vast majority is not.

Neocompounding, as a nominal morpheme category, is obviously the focus of this post. Neocompounding differs from paleocompounding primarily in how it manifests itself in the word; it is part of the paradigm and not at the top of the hierarchy of categories, therefore it can be possibly ousted, while paleocompounds always stay as a single root. Thus, even though the neocompounded morpheme is part of the semantic meaning of the total word along with the root, it can be separated from the root, much like lexical prefixes in Athabaskan languages, except these neocompounding elements are a bit more transparent than those prefixes.

Neocompounding is moderately productive. It is often used to coin new concepts, and the compounds tend to be more recent and more transparent in general.
Here are some examples of neocompounds at work:

ma:dums
/mədʷ-ms/
bird-blood
"mosquito"

This is one of the most commonly-used neocompounded words. /ms/ modifies /mədʷ/ to make the meaning “bird of blood”, or, indeed, a “mosquito”. Now observe what happens when a morpheme is added to the paradigm that is higher than /ms/ on the hierarchy:

məs madʷa ŋədʷa ʕo: bədus bus ja: sə ʕo: dəps so:q.
/q ms mədʷ-ə ŋdʷ-ə ʕə b-dʷs bʷs jə s ʕə d-ps səq/
TOP blood bird-POSS belly-POSS PROG sit-LOC.APPL.C evil_spirit SEP 3 PROG give-VBN tear.PL
"The evil spiriti sat in [hisj] mosquito's belly, crying."

Neocompounding can happen to verbs as well:

lɨg:ʷandu
/lk-gʷəndʷ/
pull_out-guts
“to gut”

One of the previous examples in this thread will do as an example to illustrate the properties of neocompounds, using the verb just used:

Kəs kəni: stugbʷa gʷandu ləg.
ks knj sdʷk-bʷə gʷəndʷ lk-ʕ
1.3o INSTR stone-ADV guts pull_out-TR.Ca
"I gutted it with a stone tool."
Pirka
roman
roman

Post by Pirka »

12b. Noun Class: Agreement and Agency Stuff

Remember that time I said that noun class wasn't very important? Well, turns out it's quite freaking important.

Noun class is important for adjectives, stative verbs, and transitive verbs. Adjectives and stative verbs function quite similarly (in fact, they zero-derive each other):

məstəg:u gʷas
msdq-gʷ gʷəs
wily-R man
"a wily man"

Gʷas məstəg:u.
gʷəs msdq-gʷ
man wily-R
"A man is wily."

dəqt dəstu
dq-d dsdʷ
quick-C reindeer
"a quick reindeer"

bu: pəs
bʷə-ʕ ps
good-A hunt
"a good hunt"

There's a more to stative verbs and adjectives, of course, but that's for a different post. Transitive verbs are the most interesting phenomenon when it comes to noun class.

Basically, transitive verbs encode the noun class of the patient in the transitive marker (if there is one), so the three transitive markers corresponding to the three noun classes are TR.R (rational) /gʷ/, TR.C (concrete) /d/, and TR.A (abstract) /ʕ/. Additionally, transitive verbs are divided into two classes: the agency-compromising class (AC-class) and the non-agency-compromising-class (NAC-class). This is mainly a semantic difference: AC-class verbs are those that affect the agency of the patient or its existential integrity. Verbs like "kill", "destroy", "eat", "steal", "build", "paint", and all causative verbs are all in the AC-class. Verbs like "look at", "cover" and "wear" are all NAC-class verbs.

The difference between these two classes manifests itself in how different patients get assigned different classes depending on the verb: when a noun is the patient of a NAC-class verb, the noun class agreement on that verb is perfectly aligned with its noun class.

Kəs dəlx qəlgu!
ks dlx ql-gʷ
1.3 today see-TR.R
"I saw him/her today!" (object is a human being, therefore rational)

Manx bəs stankəd səq dəstʷa.
mənx bs sd<ən>k-d s-q dsdʷ-ə
snow INC wear_on_head<DIM>-TR.C 3-TOP reindeer-POSS
"His reindeer got a snowflake on its head." (object is a snowflake, therefore concrete)

Kə qəl: dəstuq sə ŋa:nəps.
k ql-ʕ dsdʷ-q s ŋ<ən>-ps
1 see-TR.A reindeer-TOP POSS eat<DIM>-VBN
"I saw the reindeer eat; I thought it was very cute." (object is the reindeer's action of eating, therefore abstract)

However, when a noun is the patient of an AC-class verb, the noun class agreement moves down one class from the actual one; in other words, the first/rational class is agreed with the second class, the second/concrete class is agreed with the third class, and the third/abstract class stays the third class. Where NAC-class verbs’ transitive suffixes were glossed with “TR” followed by the first letter of the corresponding noun class, AC-class verbs’ transitive suffixes are glossed with “TR” followed by the capital first letter of the actual noun class, which is then followed by the minuscule first letter of the noun class that appears on the surface. For the sake of consistency, even though abstract nouns don’t change class, they are glossed with the aforementioned system to show that the verb is an AC-class verb.

Gʷasa: ŋad daŋko:.
gʷəs-ə ŋ<ə>-d dəŋkəʕ
man-POSS eat<PL>-TR.Rc wolf.PL
"Wolves ate my husband." (object is a human being, therefore rational, with its agency reduced to concrete)

Dəstu ŋoəʔ dɨŋko:.
dsdʷ ŋ-ʕ dŋkəʕ
reindeer eat-TR.Ca wolf
"The wolf ate the reindeer." (object is a reindeer, therefore concrete, with its agency reduced to abstract)

Kəq loəʔ səs.
k-q l-ʕ s-s
1-TOP do.NEG.TR.Aa 3-DIST
"I do that." (object is a pronoun referring to an action, therefore abstract, with its agency remaining unchanged)

In summary, the transitive morphemes with the noun classes of objects encoded can be summarized in a table as seen below:

Code: Select all

NAC  AC
R gʷ   d
C d    ʕ
A ʕ    ʕ
The transitive suffix is the only one in the verbal paradigm that fully agrees with all three possible noun classes. As an extreme example, the causative suffix, which forms either transitive or ditransitive verbs, remains unchanged, no matter what the patient is:

Səq kəbu kə.
s-q k-bʷ k
3-TOP come-CAUS 1
“He made me come to him.”

Qə naja: sə pəsub θnəθnək.
q nəj-ə s ps-bʷ nəj-ə xnxn-k
TOP mother-POSS 3 fall-CAUS knife-PROX
“[My] mother dropped the knife [that she was holding].”

Similarly, applicative suffixes (which exist in the same slot as the other valency-shifting suffixes), agree with the rational and concrete classes by adding /ʷs/ to the morpheme (the labialization of which does not surface if the immediately preceding consosnant is not one of the phonemically labializable ones, or if the immediately preceding consonant is already labialized), and with the abstract class by staying unchanged.

Kə bədus gʷandu.
k b-dʷs gʷəndʷ
1 sit-LOC.APPL.C room
“I sat myself in the room.”

Kəs iləls.
ks j-lls
1 go_on_foot-GOAL.APPL.R
“I followed him [there].”

Kə iθləl sa:m kəps.
k jx-ll səm k-ps
1 NEG.go_on_foot-GOAL.APPL.A head come-VBN
“I didn’t follow through with that idea.”

One last thing: when the verb is in an irrealis mood (or is negative), it always counts as an NAC-class transitive verb – the logic behind that is that the action hasn't really happened yet, so the agency of the object couldn't have been compromised. Compare the first following sentence with the second one.

Kəs ŋoəʔ.
/ks ŋ-ʕ/
1.3o eat_meal-TR.Ca
"I ate it."

Kəs nə ŋəd.
/ks n ŋ-d/
1.3o DES eat_meal-TR.C
"I want to eat it."
Last edited by Pirka on 01 Jun 2015 21:37, edited 4 times in total.
thaen
roman
roman

Post by thaen »

məstəg:u gʷas
msdq-gʷ gʷəs
wily-R man
"a wily man"

Gʷas məstəg:u.
gʷəs msdq-gʷ
man wily-R
"A man is wily."
So the only difference is the ordering of the words? That's pretty neat!

I love the simplicity of this language! It was one of the original inspirations for Øð.
:con: Nillahimma
:con: Øð!
:con: Coneylang

I am the Great Rabbit. Fear me, O Crabs!
Spoiler:
ı θ ð ʃ ɲ ŋ ʔ ɛ ə ø ʑ ɕ ʷ ʲ ⁿ