A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Re: Con-Script Recycling Bin and Idea Box

Post by Ahzoh »

Shemtov wrote:
AndivahXevos wrote:
masako wrote:I have some suspicions that Shemtov is pulling our collective legs.
Would you care to elaborate?
I suspect it's because of my grapheme for <n>.
Yeah, no one should use that one.
There is an in-conworld justification for my conpeople using that symbol. I'm also making a comment on the nature of the con-tribe using the alphabet
why not?
it's not like it's a real swastika.

it's not fair, ya know, I really like the swastika, but ever since Hitler ruined it, now I can't adorn one... or have it as a letter.
The irony of it, is that it means something like peace.
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

Ahzoh wrote:
Shemtov wrote: The irony of it, is that it means something like peace.
I'm using it in it's use of a solar symbol. The conculture whose alphabet it's in thinks peace is evil.
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
AndivahXevos
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by AndivahXevos »

I am contemplating whether I shall post a script that I made up for a species known in My Little Pony as the "Changelings". There is so little thought that went in to this one that I might like to keep it hidden unless someone decides that one would quite like to see it. I should also mention that there is another pony related script that is on hiatus as well as a mathematically incripted code/language/cipher in the files. Ask and ye shall receive.

Moving on from that. I don't have much else at the moment. Maybe later I will post some scribbles when the chance to do so arises.
I've been dormant for several years on this account. I return, potentially to tie up loose ends.
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

AndivahXevos wrote:The following is an example of what I mean. (I created this just a couple of days before.)

This is just a preview of some of the sketch. I definitely want to use this in my own conlang/conworld sometime. It's way too good to waste! Does anyone have any suggestions for it?
Let me just say that I love this one! Love it.

It's hard for me to suggest anything with such a limited sample and without having any idea of what type of language it would be used with. The only thing that stands out, is that it is begging for a "dot" or diacritic above the x-like glyph in the second word. :)

Okay, and now a few of mine!

The first example there (on the left) is for a somewhat dead logographic script. I like it too much to scrap it completely, but also, I don't really feel like developing the language further either. Le sigh!

The top right example is for a language that ended up being WAYYY more complex in terms of writing for its own good. And while I like the glyphs, I can't bring myself to write in it since it is so ridiculously complex. That whole thing only says one word: the name of the language! I was toying with the idea of "what if a script were used that doesn't match the phonotactics well and needs to be kludged into functioning properly (sorta like some of the old Greek scripts were actually abugidas and really shouldn't have been considering the era of greek in which they were used). It didn't turn out to my liking.

And lastly is a script I actually like a good deal, but ended up very different in practice compared to how I wrote it by hand and it dissapointed me a lot. So after all the work to get that much right, I just kinda dropped it.

Oh well, I am kinda obsessed with the language in my sig for now... actually, maybe I can merge the first script with it a bit and form a Japanese-like merging of Kanji and the various "-ganas."
Last edited by Thrice Xandvii on 05 Feb 2014 11:13, edited 1 time in total.
AndivahXevos
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by AndivahXevos »

XXXVII wrote:
AndivahXevos wrote:The following is an example of what I mean. (I created this just a couple of days before.)
Spoiler:
This is just a preview of some of the sketch. I definitely want to use this in my own conlang/conworld sometime. It's way too good to waste! Does anyone have any suggestions for it?
Let me just say that I love this one! Love it.

It's hard for me to suggest anything with such a limited sample and without having any idea of what type of language it would be used with. The only thing that stands out, is that it is begging for a "dot" or diacritic above the x-like glyph in the second word. :)
I'm glad you enjoy it! I love it too! I've even done a little bit more work to extend the inventory
Spoiler:
And how it works (the ligatures (or ties) are the vowels):
Yes, that question was a rather bad question to ask, my apologies.
XXXVII wrote: Okay, and now a few of mine!
Spoiler:
...actually, maybe I can merge the first script with it a bit and form a Japanese-like merging of Kanji and the various "-ganas."
That sounds like a great idea, and I encourage it! Your first and third (as listed) scripts are my favorites, and your first script is quite easy on my eyes!
Edit: Based on what I gave you to work with now, here's a better question: What do you think that my language should sound like based on what you can see? Any old thing helps. [:)]
Sorry for the atrocious post length! [>_<]
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

Thanks for the approval! LOL

The downfall is that I would have to completely re-draw and re-create the glyphs for one language or the other since the "brushes" for each are so very different and don't look quite right next to each other. We'll see if I decided to go down that road or not.

Maybe this thread should be re-named to "Con-Script Development and Idea Box" to promote development instead of scrapping stuff. [:)]
AndivahXevos wrote: I'm glad you enjoy it! I love it too! I've even done a little bit more work to extend the inventory
Spoiler:
And how it works (the ligatures (or ties) are the vowels):
Yes, that question was a rather bad question to ask, my apologies.

That sounds like a great idea, and I encourage it! Your first and third (as listed) scripts are my favorites, and your first script is quite easy on my eyes!
Edit: Based on what I gave you to work with now, here's a better question: What do you think that my language should sound like based on what you can see? Any old thing helps. [:)]
The glyphs with the two small bars on the far left don't seem to fit in my opinion, other than that, it looks great, and it seems to me like you are moving in a fine direction with it. As for what type of language? Based on the way that they can combine, part of my wants to say some sort of agglutinating lang with lots of consonants... but that's just me.
AndivahXevos
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by AndivahXevos »

XXXVII wrote: Maybe this thread should be re-named to "Con-Script Development and Idea Box" to promote development instead of scrapping stuff. [:)]
I never thought of it that way. I will see about fixing it, then. I think shortening it to just "Con-Script Development Centre" looks even better! Plus I have a thing for British words when it comes to switching up to "-re".
XXXVII wrote:The glyphs with the two small bars on the far left don't seem to fit in my opinion, other than that, it looks great, and it seems to me like you are moving in a fine direction with it. As for what type of language? Based on the way that they can combine, part of my wants to say some sort of agglutinating lang with lots of consonants... but that's just me.
I'm assuming you mean those lines in the middle example, first word.
Well, I'm considering taking those out, but I kind of like them there. Not to mention I am a bit stuck for consonant designs at this point. I will keep tinkering until I am satisfied. However, If you mean the glyphs at the very bottom...I agree with you.

I like the way you think: Agglutinating, yes [tick]! Lots of consonants...we will see, I suppose.[:P]
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Re: Con-Script Development Centre

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

I meant the ones on the bottom, the other ones I like. [:)]
AndivahXevos
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by AndivahXevos »

XXXVII wrote:I meant the ones on the bottom, the other ones I like. [:)]
In that case, I agree. Those take just a little bit more time to get right than I like.
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

I have more or less finished my conscript, though it would be nice if some gave me ideas for the creation of diacritics...

Also feel free to draw inspiration from this:

I did my best to organize it in a collative manner, unfortunately, saying all the letters will leave you out of breath...
Being that this language is written (and typed) boustrephedon, there's also reversed, right-to-left glyph version in the font too.
AndivahXevos
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by AndivahXevos »

Very nice Ahzoh! What kind of diatrics are you looking for? I don't have any special tips about diatrics, but I might be able to help a little.
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

Well I have five diacritics so far that mark a vowel after a consonant, like Arabic...
I hope to extend this to the other five vowels.

They all have names basedon the root YMN - "to mark"
They are in order of English vowels A E I O U:
Yaman
Yēmēn
Yīmīn
Yōmōn
Yūmūn
AndivahXevos
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by AndivahXevos »

Ahzoh wrote:Well I have five diacritics so far that mark a vowel after a consonant, like Arabic...

I have a few small suggestions for the shape of some.
One could be the like this carot symbol ^. It looks similar to the edge of a knife.
You could add a simple circle, even though it is less original...
One may look like a sickle.

This might not be so helpful.
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

AndivahXevos wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:Well I have five diacritics so far that mark a vowel after a consonant, like Arabic...

I have a few small suggestions for the shape of some.
One could be the like this carot symbol ^. It looks similar to the edge of a knife.
You could add a simple circle, even though it is less original...
One may look like a sickle.

This might not be so helpful.
maybe I could make a hooked upside-down caret...
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

IIRC he already uses a ring below to distinguish certain consonants, so I wouldn't recommend using one above as well.

However, you could use something like a side-ways 6 or 9. You could also consider going in a direction like some Brahmic Family scripts and have a diacritic that goes before and/or after the consonant glyph as well, maybe a small stroke like an apostrophe to distinguish length or somesuch.

I would post some examples, but I am limited to Paint at work, and don't want to kludge things and make them look hideous.
AndivahXevos
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by AndivahXevos »

I would be more help by drawing some stuff up for you, but I'm in bed at the moment.It is like 1:50 AM over here. I'm sure you (or someone more helpful than I) could come up with something to suit your fancy, Ahzoh.
I've been dormant for several years on this account. I return, potentially to tie up loose ends.
Dezinaa
greek
greek

Post by Dezinaa »

I hope I'm not bumping this thread too much, but this was an idea I had for a conscript. It's a Hangul-like syllabic alphabet. I hope I'll be able to actually use this sometime.

AndivahXevos
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by AndivahXevos »

Dezinaa wrote:I hope I'm not bumping this thread too much, but this was an idea I had for a conscript. It's a Hangul-like syllabic alphabet. I hope I'll be able to actually use this sometime.

No worries! Your post is welcomed!
I like your idea; keep being creative! [:D]
Yačay256
greek
greek

Post by Yačay256 »

Is anyone else working on a logogrammic conscript? I'm currently in the initial stages of developing Ɲàlfeom, the non-phonetic logogrammy of the Feom and all the regional languages of the Feom cultural area.

By "non-phonetic" I mean that no rebus principle (as in the Chinese character system) or secondary, phonetic script (as in the Egyptian or Maya systems) is used to record the morphemes of the Feom language.

P.S.: I'm sorry but I don't have a scanner right now (not that I have made much progress anyway) but I hope to have something up within a fortnight.
¡Mñíĝínxàʋày!
¡[ˈmí.ɲ̟ōj.ˌɣín.ʃà.βä́j]!
2-POSS.EXCL.ALIEN-COMP-friend.comrade
Hello, colleagues!
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

I have designed (actually it will probably never end) a completely logographic script, as well as a logosyllabic one, both of which I have shown here to some extent. I actually posted samples in your old thread about this. You have mentioned your script a couple times but never shown it. I am interested to see what it looks like.