Lexicon milestones and discussion of lexicon growth

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Re: Lexicon milestones

Post by Khemehekis »

MissTerry wrote: 04 May 2022 15:20
Khemehekis wrote: 04 May 2022 10:47 And 80,000 will probably take a few months. I'm almost at 79,000, though. I just have some F-words to finish. On Monday I did "face wax" through "foveitis". Maybe later today I can do the fr- and fu- words.
Yeah, congrats!

Amazing! Are you using a dictionary?
No. I only used my brain to fill in the missing words as I looked over an alpiabetical list of F-words I already had.

Finished the F-words a few minutes ago! Here are some of the new ones:

orepi: face wax
paineksi: factious, fissiparous (pai-, into + neksi, faction)
ovughoshi: fake book (ovu, to play (music) + ghoshi, quick)
elpyos: fanon (linen under a splint)
fanfoghis: farl
hom in weos: after a fashion, in a fashion (lit. "by means of one way")
biorpio: favid, favus
tedikspesh: finite element (tedik, discrete + spesh, piece, part)
sofshon: African wildcat (Felis lybica)
tepotz: felt hat
kin: femme (feminine non-binary person) (from the Ciladian word for woman)
zhuvof: fenfluramine
zhuvofops: fen-phen, phen-fen (zhuvof + hofops, phentermine)
bzhirmuan: fettle (seam line on ceramics)
gikhladuman: fibromyalgia ossificans progressiva, FOP (made of Ciladian roots: gikh, all + lad, to + duman, bone)
iblartum: fimbristyle, fimbry
vezetz: to scavenge (feed on animals that are already dead); finesse; to finesse (when playing cards) (vezetzis, scavenger minus the -is suffix)
dwibus: finger bowl
suwindzha: firefish (Nemateleotris)
hotrom: firkin (wooden vessel for butter/lard)
trigz: fishbone
dunasar: to fisk (du, from the construction du X mui X (X by X) + nasar, line (of words))
potshop: fistpump (can't believe I fidn't already have this one!)
halhekhias: five-finger exercises (hal-, prefix for all + hekhio, finger + -as, plural suffix; more accurate than the English term since 5% of Kankonians are sexdactylous)
tzerat: flammeous, fiery red
faftas: flannelette
gwapa*: noise putty, flarp (onomatopoeia)
ekhetkatel: flip chart (ekhet, to write + katel, board)
dzashdzesh or dzhashdzhesh: flyting
zbibosh: floam
buzoph: to float up (of a dead fish)
paruye: folk song (blend of paru, folk music + daluye, song)
kafazwipas (pl.): FOMS (fear of missing sleep) (kafaz, pillow + wipa, tear + -as, plural suffix)
seshuitzemau: foodservice (seshui, food + tzemau, sale; to sell)
hwailtip: fool (apricot ~)
spamd: to force (~ the door closed)
dord: force (in physics)
zaiyan: to forsleep, to be overcome with sleep
vuruv: fovea (of the retina)
ploto: frank (on envelope)
Shelkaneria: freak flag (Shelkan, name of the founder of Kankonian counterculture (the khemehekas!) + -eria, suffix to make an abstract noun out of a concrete word)
simandizh: young and wild and free (Simanda, the name of a free-spirit musician from centuries past + -izh, suffix to make an adjective out of proper names)
vainatzia: the free world (vainatz, free + -ia, suffix for places)
nos-hiania: free zone (nos, no; none + hian, tariff, duty + -ia)
palotelya: French braid
yagolbkren: rubber, French letter, scumbag (slang for condom) (yagolb, pearl + kren, bag)
prinnif: fresh meat (prin, new + nif, mark, dupe)
shilmsurkhelz: friend zone (shilm shortened from shilmeshi, to like as a friend + surkhelz, state, condition)
shilshilmsurkhelz: to friendzone (shil-, prefix for "as" + shilmsurkhelz)
seremayo dorgi: friendship bracelet (lit. "resilient bracelet")
imogwa*: frogman (military diver) (borrowing from Gwasouth, the proxy language for the amphibiologue gwuelatls of the planet Kwemos, whose own language just sounds like a lot of glubbing to human ears; Kwemos is the main military guardian planet for its region of the galaxy)
impsalio: frontispiece (in book or magazine)
ikhazizia: frozen food section (ikhaz, to freeze + -iz, passive suffix + -ia)
karmans na betzith-obo: fruit machine (to test homosexuality) (lit. "machine of the love-pupil")
dantibrai: frog (on horse's foot), frush (borrowing from a language of Schaza, which has horses)
ayitzim: fucose (ayitzes, brunetti (a brown alga of Shaleya) + -im, a sugar suffix like -ose)
shunmiam: full wages (borrowing from Palang shùnmiam: shùn, full + miam, wage, salary)
relizkren: funpack (reliz, gift, present + kren, bag)
zhegphiskuik: non-fungible token, NFT (borrowing from Achel zhegppiskuik: zheg, to exchange + -ppis, suffix meaning "to be un____able" + kuik, token)
botshoftz: funnel cake
sharamephel: funnel method (in math) (sharam, cyclone, tornado, hurricane + ephel, shape)

And some idioms:

arksas rabaz-heki: to get to the fireworks factory (lit. "to reach the zebra flesh")
hemei az ghormund udeyatos babakh: to let the fox choose the guard for the henhouse (lit. "to let the enfant terrible choose his guardian")
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Re: Lexicon milestones and discussion of lexicon growth

Post by Khemehekis »

I've decided that this thread can be not only for posting when you've reached a lexicon milestone, but also for musings and insights on growing your lexicon for your conlang. I've thus changed the title.

Looking over the F-words I created on Wednesday, I've noticed that I do have some obscure ones like "fucose", but about three quarters of the English-language concepts on my list are words that most upper-middle-class adult native English speakers know. This tells me that there are still a lot of common words/concepts that are missing in my Kankonian dictionary, so Kankonian still has plenty of room for growth.
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

I'm fewer than 500 words away from the 80K milestone. (Named all the species in the vlchek/biwi bioswath today. The vlcheks live on the planet Adzhetyom in the solar system Byudzhik; the biwis live on the planet Qurrquai in the solar system Sring. After naming the species and breeds, higher taxa, plant and animal products, and astronomical names for Byudzhik and Sring, I reached 79,516 words.) Before summer is over, I will have reached 80,000 Kankonian words. After that, I will aim to beat Xuxuxi's 83,000+ words, and after that, surpass Classical Yiklamu's 91-thousand-odd word vocabulary. Even after I've surpassed Classical Yiklamu, that Lexicon Champion of All Time (LCOAT), I'll still look forward to the 100,000-word milestone -- the first conlang (not counting subset and superset languages) to have a lexicon size in the sextuple digits.

But what happens after I reach that big 100K goal? With no new goals to meet and beat? Does that mean I'll stop adding new words? No, because most likely even after I have 100,000 words, I'll still find concepts that are missing from the vocabulary of Kankonian. And they'll need to be expressed, especially if someone else (besides Lambuzhao) ever wants to translate things into Kankonian and happens to need that word. I'm not going to stop when I reach a number milestone, I'm going to stop when Kankonian is finished.
♂♥♂♀

bbbourq
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by bbbourq »

I reached another milestone for my lexicon and made a Lortho – English dictionary using LaTeX. It's a living document, but I am very pleased with the results. If you see something I can improve on or have questions on why I did something, please let me know. I'm always looking for ways to make anything I do better.

Here is the link: Lortho Dictionary
https://lortho.conlang.org

"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

bbbourq wrote: 05 Jun 2022 01:19 I reached another milestone for my lexicon and made a Lortho – English dictionary using LaTeX. It's a living document, but I am very pleased with the results. If you see something I can improve on or have questions on why I did something, please let me know. I'm always looking for ways to make anything I do better.

Here is the link: Lortho Dictionary
Love the two-column look of the dictionary, and can't wait to see it grow!

What number was the milestone, by the way?
♂♥♂♀

prettydragoon
sinic
sinic

Post by prettydragoon »

Rireinutire has reached 16,000 words. Word #16,000 was

ñitoteta vt. (med.) to splint, fasten with a splint

And in actual unique lemma forms, Rireinutire has passed the 9,900 mark. Polysemy (with a side of homonymy) will be the death of me yet.
♀♥♀
What is this, how you say, Rireinutire?
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

prettydragoon wrote: 05 Jun 2022 16:58 And in actual unique lemma forms, Rireinutire has passed the 9,900 mark. Polysemy (with a side of homonymy) will be the death of me yet.
Oooooooh! So very close to 10,000!
♂♥♂♀

bbbourq
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by bbbourq »

Khemehekis wrote: 05 Jun 2022 02:51 Love the two-column look of the dictionary, and can't wait to see it grow!
Thank you! It was quite the learning curve, but it was so worth all the trouble once I figured it out.
Khemehekis wrote: 05 Jun 2022 02:51 What number was the milestone, by the way?
I think I reached close to 720 words, but there are currently just over 600 words in the dictionary. I think I will challenge myself to make enough words this month to reach 800. That would be an amazing growth spurt!
https://lortho.conlang.org

"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

bbbourq wrote: 06 Jun 2022 08:53
Khemehekis wrote: 05 Jun 2022 02:51 Love the two-column look of the dictionary, and can't wait to see it grow!
Thank you! It was quite the learning curve, but it was so worth all the trouble once I figured it out.
You're welcome.
I think I reached close to 720 words, but there are currently just over 600 words in the dictionary. I think I will challenge myself to make enough words this month to reach 800. That would be an amazing growth spurt!
Yayyyy for growth spurts!
♂♥♂♀

prettydragoon
sinic
sinic

Post by prettydragoon »

Khemehekis wrote: 06 Jun 2022 02:25
prettydragoon wrote: 05 Jun 2022 16:58 And in actual unique lemma forms, Rireinutire has passed the 9,900 mark. Polysemy (with a side of homonymy) will be the death of me yet.
Oooooooh! So very close to 10,000!
Indeed. I'm beginning to think I should level up my homonym game, so as to prolong the antici... pation.

I was going to claim that I only have four actual homonyms in Rireinutire, to wit: amo adj. green; n. i. giving; kasa n. i. coconut; n. r. dwarf; tako n. i. stare; n. i. cumin; yuma n. i. bucket; n. r. Human.
But then I happened to look in my dictionary and in just a few pages there were at least three more, sari adj. fierce; n. i. dojo; siniti adv. bluely; n. f./m. hyena; seho n. r. nun; aff. zetta-.
So okay, I have made a start. But obviously there is plenty of space for more.
♀♥♀
prettydragoon
sinic
sinic

Post by prettydragoon »

Rireinutire has now passed the 10,000 lemma form milestone. #10,000 was

nonihasa n. i. free time; leisure; spare time

So that's what I've been doing in my ñiruñara nonihasa /ˈŋiɹuˌŋɑɹɑ ˈnoniˌhɑsɑ/ or copious spare time.
♀♥♀
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

prettydragoon wrote: 03 Jul 2022 22:00 Rireinutire has now passed the 10,000 lemma form milestone. #10,000 was

nonihasa n. i. free time; leisure; spare time

So that's what I've been doing in my ñiruñara nonihasa /ˈŋiɹuˌŋɑɹɑ ˈnoniˌhɑsɑ/ or copious spare time.
Woo-hoo!

Five digits!

Now you can add it to https://www.frathwiki.com/Conlangs_with ... ,000_words
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Finally added the words for all those Javarti plant and animal species to my Javarti dictionary. Then I did the whole Basic 200 List in Javarti. Went way past the 500 mark, and I'm now at 873 Javarti words!
♂♥♂♀

Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

Kobardon now has 800 dictionary entries, derived from roughly 280 roots. Still, I have not yet come up with the numbers from one to ten.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

It is Courtney Love's fifty-eighth birthday. And just now, Kankonian has reached 80,000 words!

The word that broke the camel's goat's back was the adjective oorwaskrazidopomi, which means "capripoxviral".

You see, waskrazi is the Kankonian word for goatpox. Oor means "like" or "as", and as a prefix it means something similar to the root word, so oorwaskrazi is any capripox. Dopom means "virus", so oorwaskrazidopom means "capripoxvirus". And finally, -i is an adjectivizing suffix, turning "capripoxvirus" into "capripoxviral".

I did a ton of adjectives derived from herbs, vegetables, nuts, grains, and other edible plants today, like shinili (anisey) and shyualdi (avocadoey). Words for orthopoxes and their respective viruses, equine hybrids, forms of cyberpunk (atompunk, steelpunk, nanopunk, etc.), six words for "turducken", names for Kankonian stone circles and their towns, and a few other words like phomisimosi (Mendelian), kobotlath (Japanese peanut), and go*ishufoyan (to see in a new light/see through new eyes) brought my lexicon size up from 79,794 to the coveted 80K.

Remember Toney S. Wong? He said a conlang should have between 50,000 and 80,000 words. Well, now I'm at the ceiling of Toney's estimate.
Creyeditor wrote: 10 Jul 2022 01:02 Kobardon now has 800 dictionary entries, derived from roughly 280 roots. Still, I have not yet come up with the numbers from one to ten.
Congrats on this milestone as well. Now your conlang has exactly one-hundredth as many dictionary entries as mine!
Last edited by Khemehekis on 10 Jul 2022 17:14, edited 1 time in total.
♂♥♂♀

k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

Khemehekis wrote: 10 Jul 2022 01:54 Kankonian has reached 80,000 words!
Wow, that's really impressive
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

k1234567890y wrote: 10 Jul 2022 16:45
Thanks. [<3] Although don't forget, your Urban Basanawa makes this list as well.
♂♥♂♀

k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

Khemehekis wrote: 10 Jul 2022 17:16
k1234567890y wrote: 10 Jul 2022 16:45
Thanks. [<3] Although don't forget, your Urban Basanawa makes this list as well.
right

btw the Urban Basanawa has been renamed as Town Speech, because the old name "Urban Basanawa" is hard to justify for in-world historical reasons.
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

I just reached 1,000 Javarti words with ozgü, the word for "tail".

New Usborne book: The First Thousand Words in Javarti.
♂♥♂♀

Evni Öpiu-sä
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Evni Öpiu-sä »

I've started and abandoned dozens of conlangs but now I finally have one with over a hundred lemmas: Mookré.
:fin: - C2
:eng: - ranges from A2 to B2
:swe: - ranges from A1 to A2