Lexicon milestones and discussion of lexicon growth

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Re: Lexicon milestones

Post by Khemehekis »

Kankonian has reached word #31,416 with iasmutz, meaning genitourinary system (colloquially, plumbing).

I'll friend on this site the first person who can tell me the significance of that number.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 88,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Tanni
greek
greek

Post by Tanni »

The number of the conlanging beast? Pi*10.000 rounded up!
My neurochemistry has fucked my impulse control, now I'm diagnosed OOD = oppositional opinion disorder, one of the most deadly diseases in totalitarian states, but can be cured in the free world.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Tanni wrote:The number of the conlanging beast? Pi*10.000 rounded up!
Yes! I shall now friend you on this site!
♂♥♂♀

C.J.
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by C.J. »

I count stems in my lexicon (Lexique Pro wooo!), which, for me, means that I define every derivation of the roots into different parts of speech, because it is not always obvious what a derivation will do to a noun's meaning. For example, I have three entries for the root cij-. As a noun, it is ciju, meaning death. As a verb, it is cijin, meaning to die. As an adjective, it is cijil which means dead. That's the most obvious one, but it was the first thing that came to mind.

I Ichi has 209 such words after a month of existence.
I am a conlanger, a guitarist, a liar, a songwriter, a marijuana smoker, and a reader. Who are you?
Ear of the Sphinx
mayan
mayan

Post by Ear of the Sphinx »

Emyt has 673 words after +-3 years of existence.
Thrice the brinded cat hath mew'd.
Ànradh
roman
roman

Post by Ànradh »

Iriex is back up to 18. :p
Sin ar Pàrras agus nì sinne mar a thogras sinn. Choisinn sinn e agus ’s urrainn dhuinn ga loisgeadh.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Kankonian has reached its 32,768th word with patrika, meaning fallow deer (a word borrowed from an indigenous language). This marks my first power of two since I started counting the words.
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

My dictionary reached word #33,333 with oheblebek, a noun meaning psychobabble. (The word is a portmanteau of ohos, soul, and heblebek, double-talk.) A repdigit.

Not only is this a repdigit, but I'm one-third of the way from 33,300 to 33,400, one-third of the way from 33,000 to 34,000, one-third of the way from 30,000 to 40,000, and one-third of the way from 0 to 100,000.
♂♥♂♀

kiwikami
roman
roman
Location: Oh, I don't know, I'm probably around here somewhere.

Post by kiwikami »

HyPry has seven hundred or so roots and derivatives in the Lexique Pro lexicon, another two hundred listed in a Microsoft Word document that I should really add to the lexicon, and about fifty buried in my grammar notes that, again, I should probably get around to adding. I don't think it's reached 1000 yet, but it's coming rather close. Yippee. Maybe by then I'll have run out of ideas and will start something else - this conlang and I have a major love/hate relationship going on. [:P]
Don't know what the latest word was. My favorite phrase, though, has to be ıı ıı Uuuuulııılı Uuuuulııılı, [ji ji ˈwuwulijili ˈwuwulijili] - "He/she is repeatedly beginning to make him/her be repeatedly beginning to twist" (informal). Anyone up for a game of four-dimensional Twister?
Edit: Substituted a string instrument for a French interjection.

:eng: :mrgreen: | :fra: [:)] | ASL [:S] | :deu: [:|] | :tan: [:(] | :nav: [:'(]
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Tetronian Twister?!
[O.O]
i am so playing that!
i am so there! Sweeet idea, Kiwikami!!!
[+1]
zee
greek
greek

Post by zee »

Es 316 Vemtar keksado hap njg.
I only have exactly 316 words.

250 mag Impüni das fauredj.
250 was like a milestone to me.
reírítí lixa kisti o lixati reí kisti · the river god controls the fish and the fish control the river – otísil (pdf)
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Interestingly, one of the milestone words in Kankonian (#23,456) was blithrebrithe, the word for tongue-twister. That fits your HyPry sentence nicely.
♂♥♂♀

kiwikami
roman
roman
Location: Oh, I don't know, I'm probably around here somewhere.

Post by kiwikami »

Khemehekis wrote:Interestingly, one of the milestone words in Kankonian (#23,456) was blithrebrithe, the word for tongue-twister. That fits your HyPry sentence nicely.
Quite. I'm also fond of making the translation of "tongue twister" a tongue twister in its own right. Evelēranēl (haven't played with that conlang in a while... hm...) has yeyo lelè, "tongue knot". Genljoŋ has vltsörnovsuqlvlu, "twisted tongue phrase"...
Edit: Substituted a string instrument for a French interjection.

:eng: :mrgreen: | :fra: [:)] | ASL [:S] | :deu: [:|] | :tan: [:(] | :nav: [:'(]
Jackk
roman
roman

Post by Jackk »

Chüi Baris just reached its 400th word - furthest I've ever got! It was chiülghi /xy:l'ɣi/ "round; circular; healthy; balanced".
Come to think of it, I could probably use it to derive chiüleghr /xy:'leɣʀ/ "town centre; marketplace".

Notice: Chüi Baris just reached its 401st word - furthest I've ever got!
terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug
let us live in a dirty world
Alessio
sinic
sinic

Post by Alessio »

A couple of minutes ago my conlang, Häħadhwar, reached 300 words. The last one was "forbrar", meaning "to invent".
:ita: :eng: [:D] | :fra: :esp: :rus: [:)] | :con: Hecathver, Hajás, Hedetsūrk, Darezh...

Tin't inameint ca tót a sàm stê żōv'n e un po' cajoun, mo s't'armâgn cajoun an vōl ménga dîr t'armâgn anc żōven...
Xing
MVP
MVP

Post by Xing »

Wally Toxic's lang has raught the 1-word milestone.
mbrsart
sinic
sinic

Post by mbrsart »

My milestone for today? Starting the heck over. My lexicon was a disorganized mess of relexes and suffixes. I want to organize it by roots, and it's easier for me to just export and start afresh. Now, if I can just get this buggy rubbish (Lexique Pro) to work....
:con: Hra'anh | :eng: [:D] | :esp: [:)] | :grc: [:|] | :heb: [:|] | :epo: [:S] | :deu: [:S] | :ita: [:S] | :bra: [:'(] | :fra: [:'(]
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Jackk wrote:Chüi Baris just reached its 400th word - furthest I've ever got! It was chiülghi /xy:l'ɣi/ "round; circular; healthy; balanced".
Come to think of it, I could probably use it to derive chiüleghr /xy:'leɣʀ/ "town centre; marketplace".

Notice: Chüi Baris just reached its 401st word - furthest I've ever got!
Congrats! May Chüi Baris live to see 1,000 words!
♂♥♂♀

Ossicone
vice admin
vice admin

Post by Ossicone »

I came up with a word which would translate as 'family unit' or 'family of a house.'
You'd use basically when you want to talk about an entire household, but without naming the whole family.

So if I were to say "My sister, brother-in-law, nephew and niece are coming over." I could just say "My sister unit is coming over." It can also be used to mean any expected accompaniments. Such as "I'm have a sandwich with unit." would mean "I'm have a sandwich with fish and cheese."

Additionally, I have a two more words meaning roughly "former"(lit. "home") and "latter"(lit. "away"). But they are used differently. They are used to answer either/or questions.

So if someone asks "Do you prefer cats or fish?" You could say "home" indicating you prefer cats or you could say "away" to mean you prefer fish.

I'm so pleased with these words I'd say they're worth maybe 40k regular words. That means my Uskra Lexicon is about 40k words strong. [:D]
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Ossicone wrote:I came up with a word which would translate as 'family unit' or 'family of a house.'
You'd use basically when you want to talk about an entire household, but without naming the whole family.

So if I were to say "My sister, brother-in-law, nephew and niece are coming over." I could just say "My sister unit is coming over." It can also be used to mean any expected accompaniments. Such as "I'm have a sandwich with unit." would mean "I'm have a sandwich with fish and cheese."

Additionally, I have a two more words meaning roughly "former"(lit. "home") and "latter"(lit. "away"). But they are used differently. They are used to answer either/or questions.

So if someone asks "Do you prefer cats or fish?" You could say "home" indicating you prefer cats or you could say "away" to mean you prefer fish.

I'm so pleased with these words I'd say they're worth maybe 40k regular words. That means my Uskra Lexicon is about 40k words strong. [:D]
The former word is pretty neat! Japanese sometimes does a similar thing with -tachi (as when Pokémon fans talk about Ash and his companions as "Ash-tachi"). However, if you were to say "aneetachi" in Japanese it would mean "my [older] sisters", so not the same. I think your Uskra word may be unique!

Maybe you could gloss it as "my sister & Co."?
♂♥♂♀