Lexicon milestones and discussion of lexicon growth

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Re: Lexicon milestones

Post by Khemehekis »

Zio Zihk wrote:Good job, I don't think any of my conlangs surpassed 50 words.
Do you create oligosynthetic conlangs? You used "surpassed" in the past tense . . . is it just that you're a scrapper?

Thanks for telling me "good job", by the way.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 87,413 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
kadani
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by kadani »

Khemehekis wrote:
kadani wrote:Congrats! Rejistanian has only 1.7k words at the moment.
Thanks! Post here when you reach the 2.0k mark!
*posts*
Q: Il'isa sike'han suntes?
A: Xe'isa sike'han Sike'tes... kali.

In contrast to popular perception, I do have a life. I just choose to spend it conlanging.

Fluent: :deu: :eng:, intermediate: :epo:, learning: :rus:, interested in :tur: :con: Volapük
Colzie
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Colzie »

I have just reached 2000 words with Rudan; the 2000th word is candalt, "beet". This is counting some regular derivation affixes, like -vadrij "-ology" and -fuviya "phobia", so maybe I don't really hit the milestone for a couple more words.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

kadani wrote:
Khemehekis wrote:
kadani wrote:Congrats! Rejistanian has only 1.7k words at the moment.
Thanks! Post here when you reach the 2.0k mark!
*posts*
Yay!

Congratulations!

Let's all celebrate by drinking whatever speakers of Rejistanian drink!
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Colzie wrote:I have just reached 2000 words with Rudan; the 2000th word is candalt, "beet". This is counting some regular derivation affixes, like -vadrij "-ology" and -fuviya "phobia", so maybe I don't really hit the milestone for a couple more words.
Well, if I were counting the words, I wouldn't count "-vadrij" or "-fuviya", but I would count all the words you coined with those suffixes, such as "ornithology" or "arachnophobia".

Congratulations on reaching the mark, by the way.
♂♥♂♀

Ossicone
vice admin
vice admin

Post by Ossicone »

Okay, so it's not a lexical milestone. (Although, I've now passed 500!)

But my written description of Inyauk just hit 15 pages!
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Congratulations!

The grammar must be pretty rich by now.

Once you have about fifty pages, you'll be able to handle about anything.
♂♥♂♀

Ossicone
vice admin
vice admin

Post by Ossicone »

Khemehekis wrote:Congratulations!

The grammar must be pretty rich by now.

Once you have about fifty pages, you'll be able to handle about anything.
It's part of my 'massive revision' and I'm pretty happy with how it's turning out. I'm getting some good details now. I'd say 60% of it is all examples though. I'll probably have 20-25 when I finish though.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Well, probably more than half the text of my Kankonian grammar consists of examples too.
♂♥♂♀

sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Nortaneous wrote:None of mine have any words yet because I spent around a month on the phonology for one and I've spent all the time past that on the diachronics for the other.
Same here. I've been working on the sound changes of a small branch of IE languages for the past however many months and trying to work out the inflectional morphology at the same time, at least in theory anyway to the point where I've ended up with about 8 languages which each have a total of around of maybe 10-20 words each.

I've been doing a similar thing with a non-IE proto-lang as well, establishing an earlier stage through which I can derive new vocabulary but I've been focusing so much on sound changes and possible meanings of derivational/inflectional affixes and the syntax that I haven't even started working out the lexicon yet.

I'm sure I'll get round to it eventually but personally I find vocab-building to be the hardest part of conlanging, that an idiomatic expressions.
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Well, I just opened it in a word-processing program and my grammar of Kankonian is 50 pages long now. Granted, I devote 3 pages of this "grammar" to pronunciation, and also have sections on "fluff" topics like borrowings, literature and gestures, and some of it is semantic stuff like color words, kinship terms and ageing terms, but that is a longer grammar than your average conlang gets. Plus, I can translate and compose a lot. A LOT.
♂♥♂♀

Ossicone
vice admin
vice admin

Post by Ossicone »

Khemehekis wrote:Well, I just opened it in a word-processing program and my grammar of Kankonian is 50 pages long now. Granted, I devote 3 pages of this "grammar" to pronunciation, and also have sections on "fluff" topics like borrowings, literature and gestures, and some of it is semantic stuff like color words, kinship terms and ageing terms, but that is a longer grammar than your average conlang gets. Plus, I can translate and compose a lot. A LOT.
You definitely deserve congratulations for that. That's more detailed than some of the descriptive grammars of natlangs I've seen. Not to mention your ridiculously huge lexicon. (Seriously 23,000? You should write a book in Kankonian.)
SLiV
sinic
sinic

Post by SLiV »

Kudos! You're an example to all of us.
:nld: native | :eng: fluent | :deu: :fra: :esp: reading | :lat: :grc: translating
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Well, Kankonian has reached 23,456 words! The 23,456th word, for those curious, was "blithrebrithe", meaning, as you may have guessed, "tongue-twister". It's been 11,111 words since the last time this happened, with word #12,345. It won't happen again until (and unless) I get my 34,567th word. And Kankonian probably won't grow that large.
♂♥♂♀

Bristel
sinic
sinic

Post by Bristel »

I have 2 words that are fully declinable in Teskwan now :D

I created the first two paradigms, the A-declension and the Y-declension, and I might add 3-5 more.
Hopefully I can start on verbs soon.

The first two words are: (orthography is in flux, as it is in 3 or 4 potential versions)

tăskoa [təsʷkʷʰa] - [f. n. 1st] tongue, language

kăpy [kəpʰɨ] [m. n. 2nd] hawk, bird-of-prey

There are also a full set of indefinite pronouns which are declined for number, gender and case.

So a quick phrase here for my own self-satisfaction, as I think the two words can be phrased together simply... Let's make the example "the languages of the hawks". (The first sentence ever written in Teskwan, I'm quite excited)

Please correct my glossing usage if I made a mistake... this will be my first glossing as well! *shock*

ha tăsko-at tyn kăp-udum
[ha təsʷkʷʰatʰ tʰɨn kʰəpʰud̥um]
ART.NOM.PL.F language-NOM.PL.F ART.GEN.DU.M hawk-GEN.DU.M
"the languages of the hawks"

The 3 genders and numbers are hard to keep memorized in my head, and I need to fix some mistakes in my reference materials, but this should be correct.
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīqua cupiditāte illectus hōc agō.
[tiː.mɔ.tʉɥs god.lɐf hɑwk]
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Bristel wrote:I have 2 words that are fully declinable in Teskwan now :D
Definitely appreciate small milestones :) I'm only at 50 words (numbers 1-10, 1,00 and 1,000, some words for animals and birds and 3 words for different kinds of boats and a few words for "sea, ocean") and only sorted out the nominal and adjectival morphology a few days ago despite working on the languages for over a year now :p I've only today, for example, reached a point where I can translate your first sentence:

Kuonis örid
/'kuo.nis 'ø.rid/
Kuon-is ör-i-d
Tongue/Language-PL.NOM eagle-PL-GEN
"(The) languages of (the) eagles"

(alternatively you could use the contraction kuonörid (eagles' language) or the compound örkuonis (eagle languages) but in both of these the plurality of the first element is lost)
Last edited by sangi39 on 27 Nov 2010 00:35, edited 1 time in total.
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
Yagia1
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Yagia1 »

I did a word count in my dictionary for words starting with a
Impossible to perform a word count on the whole document since it is in Word format so Vayardyio (conlang) word and Dutch words describing the meaning are counted together.
Trying to isolate all the Vayardyio words in the text would positively drive me insane.

Score for "A": 817 entries. "A" has 15 pages in my dictionary. The dictionary has 159 pages.

"S" has 18 pages, must be about 950 words.
Wild guess on the total vocabulary up to now: about 7000-7100. A certain number would be regular derivational formations.

I still enjoy creating new words. Mostly when I feel existing ones do not "feel nice" or seem to violate lexical or phonological rules. Over the years, word formation has become more predictable and less at random. Vocabulary seems to stabilize. Idiomatic expressions, proverbs and so on begin to come up.
conlang: Vayardyio.
Affacite iago Vayardyio fidigou dicronésara !

native: :nld: fluent: :eng: :fra: :deu: can read: :ita: :esp:
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Yagia1 wrote: Wild guess on the total vocabulary up to now: about 7000-7100.
Great job! And it doesn't sound like a wild guess to me, but rather an extrapolation.
A certain number would be regular derivational formations.
But they still count as words when you're doing a lexicon count, right?
I still enjoy creating new words. Mostly when I feel existing ones do not "feel nice" or seem to violate lexical or phonological rules. Over the years, word formation has become more predictable and less at random. Vocabulary seems to stabilize. Idiomatic expressions, proverbs and so on begin to come up.
Idioms are one of the most fun-providing parts!

Javarti has reached its 200th word. The word is the word "ja" or suffix "-ja", meaning "and".
♂♥♂♀

Zio Zihk
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Zio Zihk »

I just hit 200 words on my new conlang and boy do I feel proud. I tend to scrap them and start again before even getting to 40 words. It probably helps that it's the first conlang I made that I actually enjoy the sound of as well.

Oops, I should mention the language is called Gvilandic (Gvirat) and if I don't end up scrapping it I'll make a thread about it when I get more words.
jseamus
greek
greek

Post by jseamus »

"Shh" It's a Secret (Conlang) just reached 128 words. Yay! Also, earlier we reached 100.
This is the world.