Lexicon milestones and discussion of lexicon growth

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Lexicon milestones and discussion of lexicon growth

Post by Khemehekis »

My Shaleyan dictionary has just received its 2,000th word. The word is "wowoy", meaning "marine animal".

This makes Shaleyan the second one of my languages to reach the 2,000 word mark.
Last edited by Khemehekis on 06 May 2022 23:25, edited 1 time in total.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
idealis
rupestrian
rupestrian

Re: Lexicon milestones

Post by idealis »

Congrats on reaching that milestone.

My conlangs have like 9 words each. :-) :-P
Native :esp:
Fluent :por: :eng:
Intermediate :rus:
Basic :ita: :cat:
Wishlist :isl: :deu: :bul: :ukr: :cym: :ell: :heb:
Itsuki Kohaku
sinic
sinic

Post by Itsuki Kohaku »

idealis wrote:Congrats on reaching that milestone.

My conlangs have like 9 words each. :-) :-P

Mine too. Although I think Makurungou maybe different this time.
In order of knowledge: :eng: :vls: :epo: :fra: :deu: :esp: :jpn: :zho: :fin: :tur: :eus:
Conlangs: :con: Literary Makurungou, :con: Common Makurungou
MrKrov
banned

Post by MrKrov »

87 codified. Maybe up to 200 counting the rest floating around. Rebooting on a bimonthly basis has its drawbacks.
Nortaneous
greek
greek

Post by Nortaneous »

None of mine have any words yet because I spent around a month on the phonology for one and I've spent all the time past that on the diachronics for the other.
kadani
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by kadani »

Congrats! Rejistanian has only 1.7k words at the moment.
Q: Il'isa sike'han suntes?
A: Xe'isa sike'han Sike'tes... kali.

In contrast to popular perception, I do have a life. I just choose to spend it conlanging.

Fluent: :deu: :eng:, intermediate: :epo:, learning: :rus:, interested in :tur: :con: Volapük
Arzemju
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Arzemju »

Congrats ! Is it a priori conlang or a natlang-based conlang?

I'm new to conlanging and have just finished the phoneme inventory for my language, but I plan to have at least 100 words in two weeks (my conlang is an Altaic conlang)
Fluent: :fra: :eng: | Learning: :esp: :tgl: :epo:
LetoAtreides
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by LetoAtreides »

Where can I see your Shaleyan stuff, Khemehekis ? Your work looks very interesting.
Itsuki Kohaku
sinic
sinic

Post by Itsuki Kohaku »

New mark: Makurungou has reached 89 words! 89th word: Brïkn: to believe.
In order of knowledge: :eng: :vls: :epo: :fra: :deu: :esp: :jpn: :zho: :fin: :tur: :eus:
Ossicone
vice admin
vice admin

Post by Ossicone »

Khemehekis wrote:My Shaleyan dictionary has just received its 2,000th word. The word is "wowoy", meaning "marine animal".
This makes Shaleyan the second one of my languages to reach the 2,000 word mark.
That is pretty ridiculous/cool.
Any suggestions for word lists, beyond the Swadesh?

Inyauk currently has 325 root words. Since it's agglutinating counting actual words would be foolish.
kadani
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by kadani »

Ossicone wrote:
Khemehekis wrote:My Shaleyan dictionary has just received its 2,000th word. The word is "wowoy", meaning "marine animal".

Inyauk currently has 325 root words. Since it's agglutinating counting actual words would be foolish.
I personally do not recommend word lists, they make relexing an existing language too likely. I recommend writing and translating lots in your conlang to get an idea of what is lacking. Though depending on how well-developped a conlang is, word lists might be a good idea. However, word lists will not give you the words like 'xikila (to qualify via 2 independent ways) and 'exala (to do something immoral in the perceived feeling of being unobserved) and to a point, these things give the language flavor. I wrote a bit about vocabulary creation recently: http://rejistania.wordpress.com/2010/08 ... a-conlang/
Q: Il'isa sike'han suntes?
A: Xe'isa sike'han Sike'tes... kali.

In contrast to popular perception, I do have a life. I just choose to spend it conlanging.

Fluent: :deu: :eng:, intermediate: :epo:, learning: :rus:, interested in :tur: :con: Volapük
Itsuki Kohaku
sinic
sinic

Post by Itsuki Kohaku »

kadani wrote:
Ossicone wrote:

I personally do not recommend word lists, they make relexing an existing language too likely. I recommend writing and translating lots in your conlang to get an idea of what is lacking. Though depending on how well-developped a conlang is, word lists might be a good idea. However, word lists will not give you the words like 'xikila (to qualify via 2 independent ways) and 'exala (to do something immoral in the perceived feeling of being unobserved) and to a point, these things give the language flavor. I wrote a bit about vocabulary creation recently: http://rejistania.wordpress.com/2010/08 ... a-conlang/

I learned a lot from that article Kadani. I think that it will help me with Makurungou.
Ossicone
vice admin
vice admin

Post by Ossicone »

kadani wrote:
Ossicone wrote:
Agreed. But translating sentences can also have its pitfalls. You have to look out not to copy the sentence directly.

I just find word lists to be a good starting point.

Also, I only just set down a way for compounds to be formed, so I expect a surge in words in the near future.
SLiV
sinic
sinic

Post by SLiV »

Word lists are quite usefull at the start. But when you have a decent word lists, you should translate a lot. Another downside of translating is having words that are too specific (e.g. nuclear powerplant), when you lack simpler words (e.g. chair). I'm currently at around 700 root words, but I am moving my lexicon, so there might be a lot more in the future.
:nld: native | :eng: fluent | :deu: :fra: :esp: reading | :lat: :grc: translating
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Arzemju wrote:Congrats ! Is it a priori conlang or a natlang-based conlang?
Thanks. Shaleyan is the official language of the planet Shaleya, spoken by humans who were genetically engineered by the Greys of Tziel to be unable to do evil. They speak a language related to no language on Earth.
I'm new to conlanging and have just finished the phoneme inventory for my language, but I plan to have at least 100 words in two weeks (my conlang is an Altaic conlang)
Post here when you reach the 100 mark!
Last edited by Khemehekis on 23 Aug 2017 23:56, edited 1 time in total.
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

kadani wrote:Congrats! Rejistanian has only 1.7k words at the moment.
Thanks! Post here when you reach the 2.0k mark!
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

LetoAtreides wrote:Where can I see your Shaleyan stuff, Khemehekis ? Your work looks very interesting.
I don't have it online anymore, but here are some sentences to give you an impression of Shaleyan:

Pronouns:

ab I, me
esh you (singular)
al he, she, him, her
sak it
en we, us
oph you (plural)
od they, them (animate or mixed)
sod they, them (inanimate)

Dusiz seya.
dusiz eat
The dusiz [species of Shaleyan herbivore] eats.

Seya dusiz.
eat dusiz
Something eats the dusiz. / The dusiz is eaten.

Ab pa al benu upap.
me to she give juice
She gave me some juice.

Footnotes are used for relative clauses:

Salina da mey pakalo lo yomak da payes kholu lo waphan.
girl 1* with boy 2* walk *1 appear_to_be nervous *2 smile
The boy who was smiling walked with a girl who looked worried.

As a side effect of their genetic engineering, Shaleyans are able to remember which footnote attaches to which word.
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Ossicone wrote:
If you want, I could send you the Landau Core Vocabulary in its current state. Just PM me with your email and I'll send it to your email account.
♂♥♂♀

shur
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by shur »

Congratulations of achieving 2000 words and congrats to everyone else who've achieved a milestone! My conlang has less than 100 word so far, excluding most of the numbers. Do you include numbers in your dictionary? I'm still wondering if I should or keep them on a separate list unless they have another meaning.
Zio Zihk
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Zio Zihk »

Good job, I don't think any of my conlangs surpassed 50 words.