Nicely presented conlangs

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Davush
greek
greek

Nicely presented conlangs

Post by Davush »

What are your favourite nicely presented conlangs? I am looking for inspiration and I enjoy reading through other people's conlang grammars. I have a PDF of Okuna, which is amazing and extremely detailed (a level of detail I don't think my conlangs will ever reach) and layed out very clearly with lots of examples. What others are there?

I would prefer to see more examples of fleshed-out grammars than just phonologies. I enjoy conlang grammars that read like Describing Morphosyntax rather than just lists of declensions and verbal forms and thought it would be nice to know of any others out there!
he2he
rupestrian
rupestrian

Re: Nicely presented conlangs

Post by he2he »

IMHO Kahrsaai is nice.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

I'll always opt for mentioning Monoba's Siwa and Mecislau's Novegradian, Alashian and Očets when this sort of question is asked. They're well described, have lots of examples when it comes to lexicon, morphology and syntax and since Mecislau's conlangs are tied to the real-world, you'll also find out how they relate to their close relatives (the other Slavic languages for Novegradian and both the Semitic languages and Greek for Alashian). The work of these two users always stand out, to me, as some of the best examples of what conlanging can achieve in terms of both quantity (that Siwa link contains a PDF some 600 pages long) and quality (the depth involved in Alashian, for example, actually makes it feel like a real Semitic language that could have been spoken on Cyprus). At the very least, I find them hugely impressive.
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

I really like the way Prinsessa's Ash is presented on Linguifex. It's short and far from complete, but a nice little sketch.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

I just read the newest conlang description in fiat lingua here and it's probably among my top 3 of nicely presented conlangs. It's a grammar of Wóxtjanato by Jessie Sams.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Mándinrùh
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Mándinrùh »

Matt Pearson's Okuna Grammar is one of my favorites. If 337 pages is more than you want to read through, William Annis's Kahtsaai Grammar is also great and makes for better light reading at "only" 80 pages.
Creator of Image Atili
My website | My blog
DV82LECM
sinic
sinic

Post by DV82LECM »

Alurhsa. Muplo. Qatama. Adhrynn (on this forum). Almaqerin (Way Back Machine).
𖥑𖧨𖣫𖦺𖣦𖢋𖤼𖥃𖣔𖣋𖢅𖡹𖡨𖡶𖡦𖡧𖡚𖠨
verasimile
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by verasimile »

others have mentioned Kahtsaai, but another of his conlangs, Kílta (https://lingweenie.org/conlang/kilta.pdf), is a lot more fleshed out, and the grammar includes some essays on word formation and discourse in Kílta.
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

Nice! I didn't know of Kilta. Also, there is a new Fiat Lingua grammar that looks promising.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Ælfwine
roman
roman

Post by Ælfwine »

Mecislau's Novegradian and other languages, as already said.

I am also a fan of Dewrad's Dravian and also Parra which inspired my own Goetisch.
My Blog

A-posteriori, alternative history nerd
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

sangi39 wrote: 25 Aug 2015 17:29 I'll always opt for mentioning Monoba's Siwa and Mecislau's Novegradian, Alashian and Očets when this sort of question is asked. They're well described, have lots of examples when it comes to lexicon, morphology and syntax and since Mecislau's conlangs are tied to the real-world, you'll also find out how they relate to their close relatives (the other Slavic languages for Novegradian and both the Semitic languages and Greek for Alashian). The work of these two users always stand out, to me, as some of the best examples of what conlanging can achieve in terms of both quantity (that Siwa link contains a PDF some 600 pages long) and quality (the depth involved in Alashian, for example, actually makes it feel like a real Semitic language that could have been spoken on Cyprus). At the very least, I find them hugely impressive.
I checked out Mecislau's website, and now I really want Alashian to be real!
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!