Random Conlang Concepts

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Shemtov
runic
runic

Random Conlang Concepts

Post by Shemtov »

I'm thinking of making a Hebreolang where (some of) the Ten Lost Tribes reached Northwestern Canada and the language became this Na-Dene influenced Semitic.
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
cntrational
greek
greek

Re: Random Conlang Concepts

Post by cntrational »

i hope this wasn't inspired by my comments in the romlang thread
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

cntrational wrote:i hope this wasn't inspired by my comments in the romlang thread
Actually, it was. I was inspired to make a diachronic altlang from a language other then Latin by your post, but I don't see the issue.
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
cntrational
greek
greek

Post by cntrational »

Just making a joke.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

cntrational wrote:Just making a joke.
Quick, wish for something more! You clearly have magic powers!
Shemtov wrote:I'm thinking of making a Hebreolang where (some of) the Ten Lost Tribes reached Northwestern Canada and the language became this Na-Dene influenced Semitic.
So what the Mormon tablets would look like. That should be your first translation! It would be interesting to see how far off Mormonism is.
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

What about Jews living in the Russian Empire switched out Yiddish for Judeo-East Slavic?
-JRR Tolkien
Nortaneous
greek
greek

Post by Nortaneous »

Early branch of IE splits off and goes so far east that it somehow ends up in the PNW where it belonged
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

Nortaneous wrote: 02 Jan 2019 18:33 Early branch of IE splits off and goes so far east that it somehow ends up in the PNW where it belonged
or in PNG.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
masako
mayan
mayan

Post by masako »

On the left is an abstract representation of a face that includes all the strokes of Moj. I first drew an image like this almost 30 years ago. On the right is the updated version for Moya.
g

o

n

e
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

The fusion of Swedish and Mongolian with exactly the Zulu gender system.
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Herra Ratatoskr
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Herra Ratatoskr »

While West Saxon is the main language of mine I've been neglecting, this thread got me thinking about the several other crackpot notions language ideas that I've also been doing precisely nothing with.

1) Romlang set on the Azores, descended from Old Latin (circa 200 BC) with significant Punic influence. Will have a lot of apophony from decaying inflectional endings and unstressed vowel reductions. Would have developed in total isolation for about 1600 years between the landing of the colonists shortly after the Second Punic War and the discovery of the Azores by Europeans in the 1400s.

2) Triconsonantal language inspired a bit by Toki Pona. Each root is composed of three syllables of CV structure, and each onset is defined by one of four points of articulation: "labial" (bilabial and labiodental), alveolar, palatal and "gutteral" (velar/uvular/glottal). There are 64 (4x4x4) possible roots and have a basic semantic meaning. A pattern is then applied to these roots, modifying the meaning. There are 216 patterns, composed of one of six manners of articulation (voiceless plosive, voiced plosive, nasal, voiceless fricative, voiced fricative, and liquid) for each syllable. These patterns modify the meaning of the root in a predictable manner. Therefore, the root K-T-P could be realized as, say, g-d-f or h-s-m. To this, vowels would be applied that would show things like maybe gender/number/case/definiteness for nouns, and tense/mood/agreement for verbs. Still incredibly sketchy and half-baked at the moment.

3) Future English with a case system derived by adverbial derivational morphology. Current thoughts are Common (Nominative/Accusative/Prepositional) which is unmarked. Possessive (from our possessive form), Genitive (distinct from the possessive) which descends from the suffix -ish, Dative from the suffix -wards, and (maybe) an instrumental from -ly. I was also thinking of mining the words like therefor, hereby/thereby, hereabouts/thereabouts to justify using -for as a benefactive case, and -by and -abouts as locative cases (I'd need to think about this some to figure out the difference between the two). I also thought about trying to work in an animate/inanimate gender distinction via relative pronouns, inspired somewhat by the development of Ezafe. Part of me actually doesn't want to do any semantic drift or sound change work, just make as many grammatical changes as I can come up with and see if I can make a language that works as little like English as possible, but still have it be intelligible to an untrained English speaker (even if it does sounds really frickin' weird)
VaptuantaDoi
roman
roman

Post by VaptuantaDoi »

According to Wikipedia,
Wikipedia wrote:the "Vlachs [Morlachs] from Herzegovina and Dalmatia ... spoke a language close to Romanian ... Today there are only a dozen Morlachs in Croatia and they lost their maternal Romance speaking language.”
There are no records (as far as I can tell) of their language, and it probably ceased to be spoken hundreds of years ago, but it would be interesting to make a romlang based on this. I would envisage it as an Eastern romlang with very heavy Slavic influence, a bit like the Romani languages (albeit with a different source language). Maybe also with some Dalmatian and Venetian influence. It wouldn’t be much more than adding another language (Illyrico-Romanian) to the Daco-/A-/Istro-/Megleno- Romanian branch, but it might be interesting anyway.
Ælfwine
roman
roman

Post by Ælfwine »

VaptuantaDoi wrote: 25 Nov 2019 10:48 According to Wikipedia,
Wikipedia wrote:the "Vlachs [Morlachs] from Herzegovina and Dalmatia ... spoke a language close to Romanian ... Today there are only a dozen Morlachs in Croatia and they lost their maternal Romance speaking language.”
There are no records (as far as I can tell) of their language, and it probably ceased to be spoken hundreds of years ago, but it would be interesting to make a romlang based on this. I would envisage it as an Eastern romlang with very heavy Slavic influence, a bit like the Romani languages (albeit with a different source language). Maybe also with some Dalmatian and Venetian influence. It wouldn’t be much more than adding another language (Illyrico-Romanian) to the Daco-/A-/Istro-/Megleno- Romanian branch, but it might be interesting anyway.
Oh this is interesting...
My Blog

A-posteriori, alternative history nerd
VaptuantaDoi
roman
roman

Post by VaptuantaDoi »

Ælfwine wrote: 25 Nov 2019 17:14
VaptuantaDoi wrote: 25 Nov 2019 10:48 According to Wikipedia,
Oh this is interesting...
I doubt I'll ever do anything serious with this, but a few ideas:
Spoiler:

-Frication of /r/ between vowels to /ʐ/
cārus → /kɔʐɨ/

-Rhotacism of /l n/ between vowels
canis → /kɔrə/, caelum → /tʂi̯ɛrɨ/

-/kt ks gn kw/ to /pt ps mn p/
octō → /u̯ɔptə/

-Unstressed vowels are centralised to /ə ɨ ɐ/
auricula → /ɨʐai̯tɕɐ/

-Stressed /a/ becomes /ɔ/, like Megleno-Romanian
aqua → /ɔpɐ/

-Vowel-breaking of /ę ǫ ẹ ọ/
ovum → /u̯ɔvɨ/, herī → /i̯ɛʐɨ/, flōrem → /fʎau̯ʐə/ → /fʎavʐə/, acētum → /ɐtʂai̯tɨ/

-/au̯/ (from Latin au and stressed ō, ŭ) → av, af
audīre → /ɐvdiə/, avunculus → /avntɕɨ/, sōl → /savrə/

-/kl/ → /kj/ → /tɕ/
oculus → /u̯ɔtɕɨ/

-Palatalisation of /v/ to /dʑ/ before /i/, like Aromanian
vīginti → /dʑentɨ/, viridis → /dʑɛrdə/

-Palatalisation of /l/ after consonants
plēnis → /pʎai̯rə/

-Quite a lot of metathesis of /r/
grandis → /gɔndrə/

-The /r/ of infinitives is lost, and all of them become unstressed endings
amāre → /ɔmɔə/, habēre → /ɔbai̯ə/, crēdere → /kai̯drəə/, venīre → /dʑi̯ɛriə/
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

I just had an idea- after the Chola invasion of Srivijaya, the former obtained a colony in NW Sumatra, which resulted in a Malayic influenced Dravidian language descended from Old Tamil.
-JRR Tolkien