Conlang word easter eggs?

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Bodewert
rupestrian
rupestrian

Re: Conlang word easter eggs?

Post by Bodewert »

Bodewert wrote:In all of my conlangs have some variation of tjen (in English, tyen), which can either be yes, good or light (FroeckJurunKlaen was tokipona-esque). For example, in Wedhos, the lang I am currently working on, there is Then (t̪en (I can't distinguish vowels for IPA, e is as in bet)). Also, less notably, every word for person begins in ß if ß is in it's phonology. That's a memorial to my inability to keep focused on one conlang and not start over.
Also, in Wedhos, there are these politically charged words, berren for justice (again excuse my inability for differentiating IPA vowels)( beɾen) and sanedez (sænedez). Berren from Bernie and sanedez from Sanders (Bernie Sanders being a Presidential candidate)
Sanedez means good solution.
That man is good and just! He will bring us good solutions to the problems we face!
Then ßix berrenadd! Sanedez dde xroedhh fithh elsh enetshettoex!
Good man just(detonates 'has')! Good solutions he/she will bring because problems (detonates ownership)
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

Lonmai Luna U /u/ "mr./mrs./miss/ms.", Nevotak U /u/ "relative belonging to the generation of parents, the generation of parents of parents, etc., senpai, Mr./Mrs./Miss/Ms.", Hux Kham U /u/ "uncle(paternal), Mr.", all of which are from a common Burmese honorific title ဦး/U "uncle, Sir, Mr."

Lonmai Luna -nik -/ník/ "person of...", from the suffix -nik of certain Slavic languages

Lonmai Luna yabor /jabóɹ/ "maple", from the word javor "maple" of certain Slavic languages

Lonmai Luna nepu /nepú/ "(be) adorable", from the Japanese version of the nickname of Neptune Purple Heart of Hyperdimension Neptunia series.

Lonmai Luna akari /akaɹí/ "genius", Ame language akari /a'kaɺi/ "genius", Urban Basanawa 明か者 /a'karɪ/ "genius", from the name(I don't know if that his/her true name or not) of a former online friend of mine...
Last edited by k1234567890y on 17 Nov 2015 13:05, edited 2 times in total.
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
YourFace
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by YourFace »

Kaseo shadoa n. ring, from Shadow Hearts. If you played any of the games, you understand the reference.
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

Hux Kham a /a/ "to begin, to start" and o /o/ "to die, to end", from "Alpha and Omega", a title of God in the Book of Revelation, inspired by the suggestion of Egerius to Khemehekis(see viewtopic.php?f=6&t=960&start=7920 ).
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

A few from Common Caber:

ip "man" (Ip Man)
śimo "friend" (shimobataar)
śimobatar "friendship" (shimobataar)
calau "grip" (clawgrip)
garưp "claw" (clawgrip)
maś "pit" (mosh pit)

And one from Ngade n Tim Ar:

king "red" (King Crimson)
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
CT = Classical Ĝare n Tim Ar
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
Qxentio
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Qxentio »

thetha wrote:I have a habit of making the words for 'eat' in my conlangs some variation of (om)nom
I did almost the same thing. aumush /a͜umʊʃ/ in Jagárh means "to eat".

And there's a couple more easter eggs. Mózhó (from mojo) means mood or atmosphere. Me and a buddy of mine independently used the word that way.

Zousou (snow) is another example. It comes from the Monster Magnet song "Nod Scene", more specifically the line "Bought another copy of Zoso" (a reference to Led Zeppelin). The song starts with a noise like someone sniffing cocaine.
Meine Muttersprache ist Deutsch. My second language is English. Olim discēbam Latinam. Sú ginévam Jagárhvejak. Opiskelen Suomea. Un ek kür en lütten Tick Platt.
Sglod
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Sglod »

It's more plagiarism than an easter egg, but the word for dragon in my language, Rolanian, is dova (pl. davanem) taken (ripped off) from Skyrim.
J_from_Holland
sinic
sinic

Post by J_from_Holland »

After "inventing" the Bløjhvåtterskyll word for vacation, seibiän, I realized there were some cool easter eggs in it. Sei is the German imperative of sein (to be), and biän is a bit similar to French bien (good). So, when mixing up languages a bit, vacation will be good... ;)
A few years, I posted about Bløjhvåtterskyll. That's Barmish nowadays, and it's quite different from back then.
:nld: :mrgreen: | :eng: [:D] | :deu: [:D] | :fra: [:P] | :ell: [:$] | :nor: [:$]
Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

More from Common Caber:

opi "peek" (opipik)
ci "near" (Keenir)
one "bar" (Elizabeth Barone, an author who had some very nice things to say about Caber)
danơr "get the better of, trump" (Donald Trump)
ceisic "govern" (John Kasich, governor of Ohio, where I live)
bơrni "sandal, shoe" (Bernie Sanders)
ơnơ "cry, weep" ("Oh, no!")
gather "magic" (Magic: The Gathering, which I don't actually play but whatever)
top "height" (should be obvious)
fưś "fish" (English "fish")
ơpsi "trip" (oopsie!)
manda "trough, furrow" (Amanda Babcock Furrow of CONLANG-L)
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
CT = Classical Ĝare n Tim Ar
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

Some new easter eggs:

Lonmai Luna miku /miku/ = (n.) leek(from a certain famous virtual diva whose representation is a leek...)

Ame miko /miko̞/ = (v.) to sing(from the same virtual diva)
LinguoFranco
greek
greek

Post by LinguoFranco »

I haven't yet.

I want to use Mar-mar (Marth's nickname given by Tiki in Fire Emblem) as a reduplication, but I haven't been able to make it work in any of my conlangs yet.

I was also going to use the name of anime character as a word, but their name already is a word in German.
Zythros Jubi
sinic
sinic

Post by Zythros Jubi »

Roguelian: cursir means "to thank", and "thanks"(interj.) is curse.
mehmir means "to conquer", and mehmel means "conqueror", from Mehmet II the Conqueror;
as I came up with that, I made up a new word just now, gilum for "strait, channel, sound", from William the Conqueror who crossed the English Channel.

PS: in the conlang of a friend of mine, miku means light green.
Lostlang plans: Oghur Turkic, Gallaecian Celtic, Palaeo-Balkanic
kiwikami
roman
roman
Location: Oh, I don't know, I'm probably around here somewhere.

Post by kiwikami »

I used to do this much more with HyPry. Lots of little in-jokes and references there. In Alál, it's a bit harder, since I've got to stick to the C(C)VC root pattern and don't have voiced consonants, nasals, or bilabials to work with. But there are a couple: Sad /säʈ/, a root meaning "to orient oneself close to the ground" used in compounds meaning "to lie down", "to bow (to X)", and, more importantly, "to kneel (before X)". On that note, there's also Kal /käɬ/ (to escape from something, to free another from something) and Ẓur /ʈ͡ʂor/ (a root used in compounds pertaining to impossible solutions, imaginary problems, or impossible solutions to imaginary problems; can indicate worrying too much or crying wolf, often used now to refer to the individuals who [correctly] predicted the destruction of the Wayfarer homeworld - rather like a certain Jor-El). Kryptonians have helpfully CVC names I can borrow. Very handy of them. There are Ẓık /ʈ͡ʂek/ and Had /çäʈ/, which are "behavior against social norms/taboo" and "consequence/result/creation", respectively, from Jekyll and Hyde. Also, the words used for "agentive", "patientive", and "oblique" (as in noun cases) are homophones with those used for "sugar", "spice", and "to be pleasant (everything nice)", respectively.
Edit: Substituted a string instrument for a French interjection.

:eng: :mrgreen: | :fra: [:)] | ASL [:S] | :deu: [:|] | :tan: [:(] | :nav: [:'(]
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

some other easter eggs:

Lonmai Luna giya /gijä/ = (adj.) bland(from Nepgear of Hyperdimension Neptunia series, as Nepgear's personality is somewhat bland to some people...)(thus nepugiya, which is pronunced almost identical to Nepgear's name in Japanese, can mean "adorably bland" in Lonmai Luna)

Hux Kham E-ar-en-delu /ɛ˧˧ äɻ˧˧ ɛn˧˧ dɛlu˧˧/ = (prop n.) a name of a historical figure of the Hux Kham people(from Earendel, a mythological figure of ancient Germanic peoples, the same name Earendel is also adopted by Tolkien in his Quenya as the name Eärendil)(this is not a new one, it has been created months ago)

Also, Hux Kham words created from Earendel:

e [ɛ˧˧ äɻ˧˧] = (n.) tomorrow, ridge (adp.)(conj.) after
ar [äɻ˧˧] = (n.) time
e ar [ɛ˧˧ äɻ˧˧] = (n.) morning
en [ɛn˧˧] = (n.) star
E ar en [ɛ˧˧ äɻ˧˧ ɛn˧˧] = (prop n.) morning star
delu [dɛlu˧˧] = (n.) sailor
de [dɛ˧˧] = (v.) to sail
-lu [lu˧˧] = suffix indicating a person of something
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

Double Post

New one:

Lonmai Luna ayase /äjäse̞/ = (n.) best friend(from the surname of one of my best friend as of now, and I see her as a (step-)sister)
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Any unusual or humorous sources of words in your conlang(s)?

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien »

I'm not talking about an unusual in-world etymology, but a humorous or unusual way you created a word for your conlang.

Examples:

The Selbic word for "I fish" is ghōmi (3rd person ghōti, pronounced /'ɣo.ti/), derived from the linguistic joke of the English sounds "ghoti" being pronounced "fish" (from words like laugh, women, and action).

The Lihmelinyan word for "I awaken" is sískami, derived from my mistyping the English word "awake" as "seskr" because I wasn't looking at how my hands were positioned on the keyboard.

Another is the word for laurel tree, yánnis, derived from the viral moment when the internet went nuts over a recording of a man saying the word "laurel" and it being heard as "yanny" by a certain percentage of the population.

Any examples like this from your language? "Unusual" is in the eye of the beholder, of course. This is meant to be a fun thread. [:)]

Edit: Threads merged -Aszev, 2020-05-06
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Re: Any unusual or humorous sources of words in your conlang(s)?

Post by Iyionaku »

Yélian is full of "easter eggs", as I mainly used parts of my own life as a major inspiration for my core vocabulary. Some words I can think of from the top of my head:

- uzad "city", after my home village (with no less than 300 people)
- resif "water", is "fisher" but backwards
- atoniʻa "to insult", tonio "annoying", anto "unbearable", leimul "unpopular" and liymul "weird" are all derived from the name of a guy I wasn't particularly fond of as a kid
- stan "victory" stanis "justice" is derived from a former friend of mine
- The prefixes ian- "necessitative" and meg- "permissive" derive from a deprecated verb ianmega, derived from the Pokémon "yanmega"
- staû "power" is derived from the German emperor dynasty of the Staufers

And lastly, my user name Iyionaku is derived from a totally random 2nd division football teamplayer Manasseh Ishiaku. I was neither a fan of him nor of his teams, I just liked the name apparently. It was later reverse engineered to be a phrase from îyi "child" and naku "fire".
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien »

^Thanks for your answer. Great examples! That is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for.
Tuyono
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Tuyono »

Źilaa Ruńu has patig which means 'worm' and is a reference to Wormtail (Petigrew) from Harry Potter, and zeerde which means 'crow' because years ago my brother said the sound they make is "zerd". There are probably more words of this kind that I forgot about.
Birdlang
greek
greek

Re: Any unusual or humorous sources of words in your conlang(s)

Post by Birdlang »

Ok I have a long list
Birdish
Sentakloz /sɛn.ta.klɔz/ means Christmas as a colloquial term. It’s obvious where the term comes from (if you don’t know, it comes from Santa Claus). The usual term for Xmas is natal which comes from Indonesian.
Léni /le.ni/ means enemy and is named after a kid who I disliked in elementary school.
Bói /boj/ comes from the slang word boi and it is an expression of surprise but it is very colloquial and unpopular and seen as rude, like Japanese ‘boku’ level rude.
Daiyet /daj.jɛt/ means to starve and comes from diet and dieting is unpopular in Birdic countries.
Kuek /kwɛk/ means quack and literally comes from Indonesian ‘kwek’.
ŭnfezānt /ʌn.fɛ.zaːnt/ means awesome and comes from Unfezant which is my favorite Pokémon.
There’s more after this. I can’t list it all.