Weird coincidences in your conlanging journey

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Re: Weird coincidences in your conlanging journey

Post by Khemehekis »

GoshDiggityDangit wrote: 03 Apr 2021 08:07 I think this counts? In Fesian, the word for sneak is Camio. It is pronounced much like English Cameo, where you kinda sneak a celebrity or the director into a movie. I just made this word, it's from Ca+Mio, go quietly.
Oh, those compounds can sneak up on you! In Kankonian, the EQC (embedded question conjunction) for "how many" is houmanti. People might think it's ripped off from the English "how many", but it isn't: anti is the question word "how many", and houm- is the prefix for all EQC's, which in turn comes from a mashup of hous (about) and ham (this, that). (OU isn't even pronounced /au/ in Kankonian, unlike the English word "how".)
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Re: Weird coincidences in your conlanging journey

Post by Khemehekis »

Dormouse559 wrote: 02 Apr 2021 09:44 So, I picked *pintei as the etymon of Ilóhra's word for "milk". This resulted in modern hinti [ˈhinti], which was all well and good, but then I altered my sound changes, and it became hindi [ˈhindi]. The sound changes recently got another overhaul, though, so the modern form is now inži [ˈind͡ʒi]. I guess that new form might still be a weird coincidence if you speak Portuguese.
Hindi? You're saying people might wrongly believe it's an Easter egg because the Hindus hold that cows, providers of milk, are sacred?
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!