What I have been working on

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Larryrl
sinic
sinic

Re: What I have been working on

Post by Larryrl »

Khemehekis wrote:
Axiem wrote: (route in my dialect, for instance switches between /ɹuːt/ and /ɹaʊt/ depending on the phase of the moon).
In my dialect, it's always /ɹut/.
And for things like "mow in the country song elvira", I haven't the foggiest idea what you're referring to.
Maybe he's thinking of the songs that go "Papa oo mow mow" and such?
Yes that's exactly right, I just forget not everybody knows how to say that properly, or knows that the bird is the word [:)] .
Last edited by Larryrl on 28 Sep 2016 15:22, edited 1 time in total.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Kle mac bu run
So sexyI hurt

Beef steak is good
wos pis ho tu
Larryrl
sinic
sinic

Post by Larryrl »

Frislander wrote:If you want a chart, how about

/p t t͡ʃ k/ <p t ch k>
/b d d͡ʒ g/ <b d j g>
/f s h/ <f s h>
/v z ʒ/ <v z zh>
/m n/ <m n>
/w l j/ <w l y>
/ɾ/ <r>

/a e i o u/ <a e i o u>
And, also /aʊ/ <aʊ> which is the sound my U breve makes for all of my endings.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Kle mac bu run
So sexyI hurt

Beef steak is good
wos pis ho tu
Larryrl
sinic
sinic

Post by Larryrl »

Ok, so I was asked why certain vowels followed certain consonants in a (c)(v) pair, and I more or less explained my conlang concept but did not actually answer the question to my own satisfaction. The reason I did it that way is it makes it easier to learn. Otherwise it would be like for example trying to write English with no vowels. If the vowels are /a e i o u/ <a e i o u> and if any of the five can go with any consonant, and I wrote cpl you do not know if the word is capital or couple. This is why I gave each consonant a specific vowel so that once you learn which consonants out of the 20 take which of the 5 vowels to follow them you're well on your way to fluency.

As far the sounds goes. I know the ipa, I just needed help , as I didn't know how to turn the ipa symbols from the charts on the web sites, into the chart everybody else seems to come up with so well. Also I was not for sure which exact parts I needed because the ones connected by that curved line on top I didn't understand. But thanks to Frislander's help I now have a decent chart, and I have studied the ipa more and sort of understand some of the parts that were unclear before.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Kle mac bu run
So sexyI hurt

Beef steak is good
wos pis ho tu
Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir »

Larryrl wrote:Yes that's exactly right, I just forget not everybody knows how to say that properly, or knows that the bird is the word [:)] .
The bird is the word - the article gets the emphasis.
:)
Larryrl wrote:As far the sounds goes. I know the ipa, I just needed help , as I didn't know how to turn the ipa symbols from the charts on the web sites, into the chart everybody else seems to come up with so well.
I open the IPA chart (in wiki) in a neighboring window, and copy&paste the symbols to my post.
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

Frislander wrote:I use this wonderful site.
As do I [<3]
(though, admittedly, for Japoné語, there's some copy/pasting going on from the Wikipedia Quebec French Phonology page [:$] ).
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
mira
greek
greek

Post by mira »

Lao Kou wrote:
As do I [<3]
(though, admittedly, for Japoné語, there's some copy/pasting going on from the Wikipedia Quebec French Phonology page [:$] ).
I'm one to use this as it also gives you a full chart to look at, which helps with figuring out phonology-s too. It also makes vowels easier to pick out.
website | music | she/her | :gbr: native :deu: beginner
Larryrl
sinic
sinic

Post by Larryrl »

Xing wrote:Does the language have any grammar?
At this point there are only rules which I made for myself to help me to create this language
Spoiler:
1 The letters b, d, f, g, h, j, k, l, m, n, p, r, s, t, v, w, y and z, are pronounced as consonant vowel (c)( v)

2 The c is treated as a ch, and so it and the kv are pronounced also as a consonant vowel (c)(v)

3 The letter "ŭ" is a vowel. its ipa symbol is aʊ, it is only used in affixes like for example "fŭ" which means feminine. or "tŭ" which means tool.

4. The alphabet chart shows that there are specific vowels that follow each consonant.

5. When spelling a word out loud you include the vowels. example: f is pronounced fa.

6. Dashes go between long words to break them up. the listener needs to be able to tell if the speaker is speaking a one syllable word, or a multi-syllable word. for that reason the pauses where the dashes are written need to be brief and not drug out.

7. You only need to write the consonants, and the endings. all endings have a regular consonant and they end in "ŭ". for example chocolate is fh-jk which is pronounced faha-jako.

8. Any doule consonant is written how it is, but pronounced "zhŭ" since "zhŭ" can represent any double consonant, we cannot spell out the "zhŭ" so wel spell out the double consonant. for example: the word for accept is written ff-yk and pronounced zhŭ-yuko. but, it is spelled out loud as fa fa yu ko, spelling the double consonant as it is written.

9. There are two types of descriptors. the first describes the noun and its ending is dŭ and sounds like the word dow. the second describes the verb and its ending is rŭ and it sounds like the word row only with a slightly trilled r. this is important so that the reader, writer or listener knows if a word is good or fine, first or firstly.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Kle mac bu run
So sexyI hurt

Beef steak is good
wos pis ho tu
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

OTʜᴇB wrote:
Lao Kou wrote:
As do I [<3]
I'm one to use this as it also gives you a full chart to look at, which helps with figuring out phonology-s too. It also makes vowels easier to pick out.
That's my second go-to if a certain computer or a certain server is feeling persnickity about my first go-to (happening less often than before). [B)]
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Larryrl wrote:
Khemehekis wrote:
And for things like "mow in the country song elvira", I haven't the foggiest idea what you're referring to.
Yes that's exactly right, I just forget not everybody knows how to say that properly, or knows that the bird is the word [:)] .
Obligatory link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZThquH5t0ow

Maybe your example word can be "Mao", as in Chairman Mao?
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Larryrl wrote:
Khemehekis wrote:
Axiem wrote: (route in my dialect, for instance switches between /ɹuːt/ and /ɹaʊt/ depending on the phase of the moon).
Well, my [<3] 's on fire for Elvira:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV4ubvZ6I2Q
mira
greek
greek

Post by mira »

Khemehekis wrote:
If we have the same dialect, there is an instance of /ɹaʊt/. The power tool "Router", used for cutting grooves into things. It works like a hand-held milling machine but just for wood (in most cases) - very good for making cable tracks for keeping the desk tidy...
website | music | she/her | :gbr: native :deu: beginner
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

OTʜᴇB wrote:
Khemehekis wrote:
If we have the same dialect, there is an instance of /ɹaʊt/. The power tool "Router", used for cutting grooves into things. It works like a hand-held milling machine but just for wood (in most cases) - very good for making cable tracks for keeping the desk tidy...
Different etymologies: route comes from Old French route, rote ‎& Latin rota; rout comes from Old English hrūtan.

I'd hazard the guess that the folks who pronounce these the same come from a dia/regio/familialect where the Anglo-Saxon has conquered the French pronunciation.
Axiem
sinic
sinic

Post by Axiem »

I asked my spouse and brother-in-law via definition ("a way of getting from point A to point B, generally given as a series of steps, begins with the letter 'r'"), and my spouse said /ɹaʊt/ and my brother-in-law said /ɹuːt/.

Thinking about it some more, I say /ɹaʊt/ for a generic noun ("a network router", "the route to the store"), but /ɹuːt/ for specific nouns ("Route 66"). At least, most of the time.

I'm also in the weird minority that thinks that <root> can be pronounced [rʊt]. :shrug:
Last edited by Axiem on 21 Aug 2018 22:02, edited 2 times in total.
Conworld: Mto
:con: : Kuvian
Larryrl
sinic
sinic

Post by Larryrl »

Axiem wrote:I asked my wife and her brother via definition ("a way of getting from point A to point B, generally given as a series of steps, begins with the letter 'r'"), and she said /ɹaʊt/ and he said /ɹuːt/.

Thinking about it some more, I say /ɹaʊt/ for a generic noun ("a network router", "the route to the store"), but /ɹuːt/ for specific nouns ("Route 66"). At least, most of the time.

I'm also in the weird minority that thinks that <root> can be pronounced [rʊt]. :shrug:
A lot of people think that <root> can be pronounced [rʊt] I've done it a time or too myself.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Kle mac bu run
So sexyI hurt

Beef steak is good
wos pis ho tu
Larryrl
sinic
sinic

Post by Larryrl »

OK so I added more endings and one prefix to the language. I decided that like Esperanto I needed a noun ending and one for object nouns so that we know who hit who. In English if we say Joe hit John it's ok but if we turn it around and say John hit Joe, then it's totally reversed. The new full list is like this:

C CŬ PRESENT TENSE
B BŬ PAST TENSE
M MŬ FUTURE TENSE
J JŬ CONDITIONAL MOOD
K KŬ IMPERATIVE MOOD
Y VŬ INFINITIVE MOOD
D DŬ POSSESSION / ADJECTIVE
N NŬ PLURAL
T TŬ TOOL
F FŬ FEMININE
S SŬ SLANG EXPRESSION
P PŬ TERM OF ENDEARMENT
G GŬ MACHINE
R RŬ ADVERB
H HŬ INLAW
L LŬ ONE WHO DOES WHAT THE ROOT WORD EMPLIES
W WŬ REGULAR NOUN
Y YŬ OBJECT NOUN
Ђ ЂŬ OPPOSITE
Φ ΦŬ PERSON
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Kle mac bu run
So sexyI hurt

Beef steak is good
wos pis ho tu
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

Larryrl wrote:OK so I added more endings and one prefix to the language. I decided that like Esperanto I needed a noun ending and one for object nouns so that we know who hit who. In English if we say Joe hit John it's ok but if we turn it around and say John hit Joe, then it's totally reversed. The new full list is like this:
Could we see this in action as example sentences now that we have the list?
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Larryrl
sinic
sinic

Post by Larryrl »

elemtilas wrote:
OTʜᴇB wrote:
Khemehekis wrote:
Different etymologies: route comes from Old French route, rote ‎& Latin rota; rout comes from Old English hrūtan.

I'd hazard the guess that the folks who pronounce these the same come from a dia/regio/familialect where the Anglo-Saxon has conquered the French pronunciation.
Elemtilas

To answer the question in your signature line "If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away?"
no because you have to figure out how to superglue the egg back around the chicken. [:D]
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Kle mac bu run
So sexyI hurt

Beef steak is good
wos pis ho tu
Larryrl
sinic
sinic

Post by Larryrl »

Lao Kou wrote:
Larryrl wrote:OK so I added more endings and one prefix to the language. I decided that like Esperanto I needed a noun ending and one for object nouns so that we know who hit who. In English if we say Joe hit John it's ok but if we turn it around and say John hit Joe, then it's totally reversed. The new full list is like this:
Could we see this in action as example sentences now that we have the list?
Written: YRW FF-WY JN-FG L-FW K-R CD-KC M-RK W-CK FF-WY L-HN H-FDŬ S-YFYŬ K-QN M-WJJ.
Spoken: YURIWU ZHŬ-WU JANE-FAGA LO-FAWU KO-RI CHODO-KOCHO MI-RIKO WU-CHOKO ZHŬ-WU LO-HANE HA-FADŬ SI-YUFAYŬ KO-QUENE MI-WUZHŬ.
English: YOU CAN LEAD MAN TO RESTAURANT BUT CANNOT MAKE HIM TO PAY THE BILL.

Written: RQ-F M-YCŬ K-QN KW-LN?
Spoken: RIQUE-FA MI-YUCŬ KO-QUENE KOWU-LONE?
English: WHAT IS THE TIME?

Written: Q Y-RW ZHŬ-WY QN-JY N DC-FQVŬ NDŬ K-NJ?
Spoken: QUE YU-RIWU ZHŬ-WUYU QUENE-JAYU NE DOCHO-FAQUEVŬ NEDŬ KO-NEJA ?
English: CAN YOU HELP ME FIND MY HOTEL?

I will post more sentences as soon as I finish adding the roughly 300 words I have left to add. From there I will make up more sentences and post them, plus I will look at what words need to still be added to make for easy conversation. Then I will make a short document explaining how to learn the language and the grammar. It is relatively easy. I just wonder how confusing it would be if I left out the present tense verb ending? As someone showed me in a youtube video, if it is not going to happen in the future, and it has not already happened in the past, then it must be happening now, so a language really does not need a present tense verb ending. The primary objective with this language is that it must be easy to use.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Kle mac bu run
So sexyI hurt

Beef steak is good
wos pis ho tu
Larryrl
sinic
sinic

Post by Larryrl »

Here is a simple verb conjugated

zhŭ-ko means act

zhŭ-kocŭ means act (present tense)
zhŭ-kobŭ means acted (past tense)
zhŭ-komŭ means will act (future tense)
zhŭ-kojŭ means would act (conditional mood)
zhŭ-kokŭ means act (imperative mood)
zhŭ-kovŭ means to act (infinitive mood)
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Kle mac bu run
So sexyI hurt

Beef steak is good
wos pis ho tu